Wide Receivers (Draft)

Jetsmanjb

I agree on Funchess but I see the Pats being too timid on DGB because of the past w/ Aaron Hernandez

I really hope they don't get Funchess because they're offense is already pretty darn good (as much as stating that makes me cringe)

Yes that would truly suck donkey balls.... 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh the terrible devil weed!!!!!!!

Gimme a break already. People get locked in cages and have their livelihoods taken away for possessing a plant. If that doesn't bother you than we have different moral compasses.

Exactly!  If only he had punched his GF and knocked her out instead of possessing a plant, the concerns about him would've been non-existent.

This draft is going to be epic. Its considered an overall "average" draft only because of the QB position. This draft looks to have a solid cast of WR's and some of the best pass rushers to come out at one time. 

More importantly, is this considered a strong draft class for boar hunters?  Because at #6 I think you've gotta go BBHA.

False; I wish people would stop with that nonsense.  DGB is actually just as big as Funchess but no one is asking him to play TE.  Funchess played TE early in his career but he is a wide receiver now and a match up nightmare at that position; no need to mess with that.  

double false. have you watched Funchess?  He doesn't play nearly fast or dominant enough to be a full time X wide receiver. He's bound for a role as a move TE or he's not going to make it. 

double false. have you watched Funchess?  He doesn't play nearly fast or dominant enough to be a full time X wide receiver. He's bound for a role as a move TE or he's not going to make it. 

Yes I have watched him create match up problems for small dbs all over the field. All the draft experts have him as one of the top 5-8 receivers in this draft and no one NOT ONE prospect list has him as a TE.  Otherwise he would be considered a top TE prospect. But of course you know better than they do.   

Kinda like what I was inferring with Mariota earlier, I think Maccagnan has to go out and hit a bunch of line drives this draft and not swing for the fences, if only to get the new regime off on the right foot. While it'd be ballsier to gamble on Mariota transitioning quickly, or for Kevin White to dominate right away, or for Shane Ray to be a 12+ sack guy, I'd draft guys who are closer to known quantities (as much as any draftee is a known quantity). Cooper and Fowler, imo, are fine out of the box.

As much as it sickens me to agree with Shame, this is spot on unfortunately. We are one of the least talented rosters in the league, coming away with a handful of solid, if not spectacular starters from this draft is critical.

Drafting Mariota at 6 and having him bust would mean the new guys reign here would be over before it started.

Hoping for cooper, don't care if he's not Randy Moss when I can be reasonably assured he'll be Anquan Boldin 

As much as it sickens me to agree with Shame, this is spot on unfortunately. We are one of the least talented rosters in the league, coming away with a handful of solid, but not spectacular starters from this draft is critical.

Drafting Mariota at 6 and having him bust would mean the new guys reign here would be over before it started.

Hoping for cooper, don't care if he's not Randy Moss when I can be reasonably assured he'll be Anquan Boldin 

The personnel on offense is a mess outside of Decker.

Yes I have watched him create match up problems for small dbs all over the field. All the draft experts have him as one of the top 5-8 receivers in this draft and no one NOT ONE prospect list has him as a TE.  Otherwise he would be considered a top TE prospect. But of course you know better than they do.   

Well I'm pretty sure the guy you originally said "false" to - IS a draft expert; Tony Pauline. (How's your foot taste?)... So if you follow the draft as closely as you act in here, i'm assuming you know him. I can tell it's Tony because he doesn't respond to my posts. 

Anyway, contrary to what you may think you know, there are circles that believe Funchess would be wise to consider a move to TE.  It's not insanity. The label of "Tight End" is somewhat loose though, as you're talking about lining up as move tight end. 

Devin Funchess - WR - Wolverines

NFL execs are still split on Michigan WR Devin Funchess' position at the next level.

NFL Media's Albert Breer spoke with one AFC college scouting director who believes Funchess is "strictly a wideout," while one "veteran exec" sees him purely as a move tight end. Rotoworld's Josh Norris does not wee why a team would line Funchess up inline, so his real role will be as a receiver, either in the slot or out wide. Labels will really only matter for contract purposes. Funchess faces Michigan State's Trae Waynes on Saturday in a great matchup.

Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess "is playing wide receiver this year, but he's the poster child for this era's tight end in the NFL," said a retired NFL front-office executive.

"Two weeks ago, an NFC personnel executive assigned Funchess a Jimmy Graham comp and said he preferred the wideout as a tight end at the next level," wrote NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah, Bucky Brooks and Charles Davis. "That seems to be a growing consensus among NFL scouts. At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, he certainly has the body of an NFL tight end." Funchess has suffered through an ankle injury and atrocious quarterback play this season, affecting his numbers. The NFL isn't considered; he's ticketed for Round 1.

ESPN's Steve Muench ranks Michigan junior WR Devin Funchess as the No. 1 TE prospect.

"Funchess has the speed to play receiver, where he lines up now, and his NFL future may be on the outside as well," Muench wrote. "However, he has the frame to play F and he lined up at tight end earlier in his career. Funchess will never be an overpowering in-line run-blocker who can generate much push working against the front-side defensive end, but he could add 10 to 15 pounds and develop into a passable positional blocker with improved hand placement and pad level." The analyst believes the 6-foot-5 and 230-pound Funchess could stand to improve his ability to catch the ball away from his body. "But the reason he tops my board is his big-play ability. His speed, size and athleticism allow him to win 50-50 balls downfield," Muench wrote. "Plus, he has above-average burst after the catch. While he's also a big-play threat at receiver, he's that much more dangerous at tight end because he gets more favorable matchups."

As much as it sickens me to agree with Shame, this is spot on unfortunately. We are one of the least talented rosters in the league, coming away with a handful of solid, if not spectacular starters from this draft is critical.

I'm a fount of knowledge

Well I'm pretty sure the guy you originally said "false" to - IS a draft expert; Tony Pauline. (How's your foot taste?)... So if you follow the draft as closely as you act in here, i'm assuming you know him. I can tell it's Tony because he doesn't respond to my posts. 

Anyway, contrary to what you may think you know, there are circles that believe Funchess would be wise to consider a move to TE.  It's not insanity. The label of "Tight End" is somewhat loose though, as you're talking about lining up as move tight end. 

You are correct, I shouldn't have said no one.  By the way my foot tastes fine, why do you ask? ;-) .  My point still stands regarding Funchess; he is more a hybrid and but  at 230, is not really that big to be considered a "true" TE.

CBSSports - 

Funchess earned Freshman All-American honors in 2012 as a true freshman tight end before becoming the full-time starter in 2013 as a sophomore, taking home the Big Ten Kwalick-Clark Tight End of the Year Award (although he played a receiver/tight end hybrid position).

Funchess moved to outside wide receiver full-time as a junior in 2014, leading the Wolverines in catches (62) and earning Second Team All-Big Ten honors. He leaves Ann Arbor with five career 100-yard receiving games and at least one catch in 25 straight games. Funchess switched from jersey No. 87 to No. 1 for the 2014 season, adding his name to the exclusive list of Michigan receivers who have worn that number (Anthony Carter, David Terrell, Braylon Edwards and others).

Funchess passes the eye test and physically looks similar to Kelvin Benjamin or Alshon Jeffery, boasting the size/length/athleticism to create mismatches and play above the rim. He has outstanding athletic gifts for his body type with long-striding speed and the natural flexibility to make easy adjustments on the ball at each level of the field.

Funchess' routes and hands have shown some development, but are still inconsistent, with too many balls hitting his hands and ending up on the ground. He has a soft-spoken, go-with-the-flow type of personality and needs to improve his reliability, polish and intensity for the next level.

Funchess started his career as a "move" tight end before evolving full-time at wideout, where he projects best in the NFL. He is a high risk/high reward type of talent who boasts first-round tools and has potential to be a No. 1 1/2 wide receiver in the NFL, but due to inconsistencies his value is in the early-to-mid second round.

NFL.com 

ANALYSIS Strengths

Big receiver with the ability to mismatch corners in the red zone. Long legs that can cover ground in a straight line. Transitions smoothly from catch to run. Has build-up speed to factor on run-after-catch crossers. Fluid hips for size. Uses size to defeat press coverage. Good body control and length to go get high throws that few can snag. Physical with "separating hands" at the top of the route. Smooth in intermediate routes and can earn a living in that area of the field.

Weaknesses

Pass-catching is labored. Allows throws into his frame and catches back half of football at times. Tagged with 20 drops over last three seasons. Isn't a lock to high-point a throw and doesn't attack throws. Won't win enough 50/50 throws. Stifled by inconsistent passing attack. Tends to show monotone, one-note play speed. Hard to find a second gear on tape. Gears down into cuts and slow to accelerate out of breaks.

NFL Comparison

Gavin Escobar

Bottom Line

Has mismatch-caliber size, but lack of vertical talent and below-average hands might negate the size to an extent. Funchess was used outside and inside at Michigan and had success from the slot. He has the feel of a hybrid player who can be a big guy at wide receiver or a mismatch nightmare as a move tight end with more weight on his rangy frame.

Rotoworld

NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock believes Michigan WR Devin Funchess will run a better 40-yard dash than Kelvin Benjamin's 4.61 at last year's combine.
The analyst also believes Funchess will show better movement skills than Benjamin, but added that Funchess probably won't be drafted higher than where Benjamin was taken (No. 28 overall). The 6-foot-5, 230-pound Funchess has great short area run after catch ability for a player his size. He's been compared to Benjamin by many, including us. Besting Benjamin's testing numbers is Funchess' best chance to earn a late Round 1 call. Feb 17 - 12:30 AM

Best article on Funchess and whether he should play TE or WR complete with video analysis.   Please take a few minutes to check it out. 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2015/futures-michigan-wrte-devin-funchess

Every wide receiver prospect list has Funchess listed on it and listed as a Receiver.  The fact that some GM may want him to play some "move" TE doesn't change the fact that he is projected to play WR in the pros.  

Yes to all of this. Cooper is where I'm at, and I'm starting to like Fowler more than Ray. Fowler's excellent.

Coincidentally, there's a rumor out there that a recent "Ray Rice-like" video of Dez Bryant exists, and Deadspin is going hard to find it. Bryant responded on Twitter, alleging it's a conspiracy to drive down his free agent value.

He's not wrong on that guess.

----

Jaleel Strong is the WR some thing Funchess is. There's so many guys who will run cleaner routes in this draft.

Archived