Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More than I expected, but I like that they got this done before free agency. Next week the contract will look better once the money starts flying around. Along with the Marshall trade, they got off to a solid start today.

Signing Marshall made me happier than re-signing the Hitman. I didn't love Harris and was looking forward to the thoughts of him going elsewhere so we could upgrade to a legitimate 3-down ILB for a small fraction of the cost. :) :)

Loyalty in this game nowadays is an extinction. It shows character for an all-time great Jet, ala Chrebet, to stay home for less. Just another reason he is my favorite Jets defender. He will break Mo Lewis' and Marvin Jones' tackle records this season, making him perhaps the best LB we ever had.

No, it's just that some of us wholeheartedly disagree with this part of your premise.

You think we'll sign a guy and guarantee him $15M over 2 years and then seek out a body to put him on the bench at that money, to show just how wrong they were to offer Harris this contract in the first place?

That is not an improvement in strategy.

It's also not happening.

Harris should be a 1-2 down ILB, and only on downs we decide to keep 4 LBers on the field. When we switch things around, he shouldn't be on the field. When it's a passing down and he's needed to drop into coverage (whether zone or man), he shouldn't be on the field. He's fine to keep out there when you know it's going to be a running play. That isn't enough to bypass an upgrade, and his contract dictates we will be doing just that for years.

You're complaining about using people wrong. Well we just hired a HC who claims we need speed and more speed on defense. Then the first signing on that side of the ball is David Harris, arguably the slowest ILB in football. 

We have played a disgusting amount of man to man football under Rex Ryan.  When you're fielding Revis and Cro in their primes you can get away with this.  The fact is our defense has been one of the lowest in the league in terms of turnovers during this time.  Why?  Because when a D plays man to man a QB can go through his progressions and see right off the bat is man covered or not.  There's no surprise to it.  When progression 1 and 2 are almost always blanketed and the pass rush is decent the QB never makes it to option 4 or 5, where David Harris would be covering.  Once the pass rush is not good enough and the QB has time to scan the field he will pick on that matchup every single time.  Rex's pass rushes, even the overload blitzes, rarely got to the QB and it exposed Harris 1x1 often.  Or Smith, Or Coples.  How many times did that matchup get exploited, yet Rex kept calling it?  Again, what you're going to see this year is a coach who exhibits alot more flexibility and variety on defense.  You're going to see 2 things as a result-more yards allowed, and far more turnovers and sacks.   

David Harris is going to flourish not having to worry about covering receivers man to man, playing more of a zone read and react style.  Don't forget this guy was considered on the level with Patrick Willis, and some considered him even better after their first seasons.  Harris wasn't fast then either.  He just wasn't being asked to do something stupid like regularly covering receivers man to man.  This year instead of chasing receivers he's going to be standing there waiting to crush one of them when they come in his zone, like he did pre-Rex when everyone considered him to be one of the best up and coming LB's in the league.  Trust me, he didn't go to BUF after Rex because he knows his best chance to exhibit all of his skill and ability is right here under Bowles.  Consequentially I expect a big jump in productivity from Coples as well.

You think we'll sign a guy and guarantee him $15M over 2 years and then seek out a body to put him on the bench at that money, to show just how wrong they were to offer Harris this contract in the first place?

That is not an improvement in strategy.

It's also not happening.

You've never heard of drafting a guy for purposes of development???  You think it's infeasible that we draft his successor in 2016??? 

Ok, man.

You've never heard of drafting a guy for purposes of development???  You think it's infeasible that we draft his successor in 2016??? 

Ok, man.

Yes he clearly doesn't understand the fact that if we had released Harris, who would we have drafted to replace him RIGHT AWAY

You guys think Harris contract is insane Yall haven't seen nothing yet just wait until Tuesday

This is being stated a lot on this thread...and I certainly hope you are all correct.  If, at the end of FA, this Harris deal looks fair then I'll be the first to say I was wrong.  But right now I am beginning to get concerned with our new front office.  I think when FA is over this will still look like a bad move.  

Not panicking but this move seems illogical to me on many fronts.

Loyalty in this game nowadays is an extinction. It shows character for an all-time great Jet, ala Chrebet, to stay home for less. Just another reason he is my favorite Jets defender. He will break Mo Lewis' and Marvin Jones' tackle records this season, making him perhaps the best LB we ever had.

Once FA and the salary cap started in football - loyalty means jacksh*t.

Sorry, at some point a LB has to cover RB's/TE's...that's the job.  You, of course, want to try and protect the player when you can - but when you're paying an ILB $15mm over two years - you expect him to be capable in both coverage and running game.

Of course, sometimes you have to deal with the poison of having a guy like Harris cover man to man once in a while to disguise things.  You don't do it every damn play.  Harris' role under Rex was read run, and if pass cover receiver man to man.  He should be asked to do that once or twice a game, just like every other ILB in the league.  The other 90% of pass plays he should be in zone or blitzing. 

And we can't assume that that 4th round pick will amount to anything better than the 6th round pick.

We can't assume anything, but in all likelyhood; the fourth rounder will have a better career.

Again, even AFTER Gholston was gone, New England was able to trade down from the very next pick. 

Or are you suggesting that the value of the #7 pick went UP when the last alleged blue-chip prospect got taken? 

You do know they traded down 4 spots, right? And didn't get alot for it.

I would have loved to draft a young LB cheap, but I think we are foolish to question this signing. 

Heres why: 

1- The combine just happened. Every Coach, FO and agent met. If there was ever a time to know a players value its now. So its safe to assume this would have been what David Harris would have got next week. 

2- David Harris doesn't talk much but he has been highly sought after and valued by 3 different coaches, and 2 different regimes.  This isn't the same regime that gave him his last contract YET this also agreed that he is THAT important to us. 

3- Its a short term deal with us getting enough time to develop his replacement. You obviously see from the Bmarshall deal we are trying to compete from day 1. Losing the leader of the defense would be a terrible start. 

4- The Salary cap has went up almost 10% since his last contract. Expect contracts to go up with inflation this year and next. For example 7.5m this year is 6m or so a few years ago. 

Lastly deals always sound the worst day 1 as agents like to look good. Lets wait for all the details. 

In my opinion we overpaid him by about 3 million a year over the life of the

contract.  But at least we have the cap space to absorb it.  With free agency

about to start I refuse to obsess over it we just picked up Marshall and

we are well positioned to improve the team

Agree. We got better today.

We have played a disgusting amount of man to man football under Rex Ryan.  When you're fielding Revis and Cro in their primes you can get away with this.  The fact is our defense has been one of the lowest in the league in terms of turnovers during this time.  Why?  Because when a D plays man to man a QB can go through his progressions and see right off the bat is man covered or not.  There's no surprise to it.  When progression 1 and 2 are almost always blanketed and the pass rush is decent the QB never makes it to option 4 or 5, where David Harris would be covering.  Once the pass rush is not good enough and the QB has time to scan the field he will pick on that matchup every single time.  Rex's pass rushes, even the overload blitzes, rarely got to the QB and it exposed Harris 1x1 often.  Or Smith, Or Coples.  How many times did that matchup get exploited, yet Rex kept calling it?  Again, what you're going to see this year is a coach who exhibits alot more flexibility and variety on defense.  You're going to see 2 things as a result-more yards allowed, and far more turnovers and sacks.   

David Harris is going to flourish not having to worry about covering receivers man to man, playing more of a zone read and react style.  Don't forget this guy was considered on the level with Patrick Willis, and some considered him even better after their first seasons.  Harris wasn't fast then either.  He just wasn't being asked to do something stupid like regularly covering receivers man to man.  This year instead of chasing receivers he's going to be standing there waiting to crush one of them when they come in his zone, like he did pre-Rex when everyone considered him to be one of the best up and coming LB's in the league.  Trust me, he didn't go to BUF after Rex because he knows his best chance to exhibit all of his skill and ability is right here under Bowles.  Consequentially I expect a big jump in productivity from Coples as well.

Yeah I understand how a zone defense works. And Harris is too slow to cover enough ground to drop into zone coverage as well.

Harris was never considered on the same level as Patrick Willis. Willis was first team all pro virtually every freaking year of his career, after getting taken #11 in the country. Harris was once I think a pro bowl alternate after getting taken 36 picks later. He was a good draft pick and a good player. Nowhere near as good as you're giving him credit for being, though.

Do you really want to play the name game? For every failure, I can affirm a success and vice-versa; the end result will be the same.

But that's my point its a crapshoot , we have a proven commodity now under contract in Harvin why does everyone want to let him go and roll the dice to save money which we have in excess.

Archived