Jets re-sign David Harris (3 years, $21.5M, $15M guaranteed) [MERGED]

Morrissey

What ILBs can cover who were also available on the free agent market? 

Draft you say? How long would it take a ILB to adjust to the NFL?

Harris knows the team and is a leader. Let him retire a Jet. We don't even know the full structure of the deal....

You know Rex cried a little after seeing this. He probably let Kiko go thinking Harris was going to be available. 

lol...silly Bills..

LL

What are we running a charity?!?!?!  :winking0001:

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That seems like a lot of money for a guy on the backside of his career. Just not sure what this or the Marshall move does for the Jets when the will be competitive in 2 years.

Marshall helps a young QB develop. I like that move. I was happy to see Harris go, but the money isn't what other are making it out to be either. Harris may be a good guy to have in the locker room this year during the initial transition and plays a solid role on run downs while helping any young guy ease into playing time. Again my preference was that Harris left the team, and I'm just trying to see the team's train of thought.

What ILBs can cover who were also available on the free agent market? 

Draft you say? How long would it take a ILB to adjust to the NFL?

Harris knows the team and is a leader. Let him retire a Jet. We don't even know the full structure of the deal....

You know Rex cried a little after seeing this. He probably let Kiko go thinking Harris was going to be available. 

lol...silly Bills..

LL

If Ryan is as horrible as everyone thinks then why worry about keeping him from guaranteeing $15M to a linebacker that got run down from behind by 300-lb Alge Crumpler (when Harris was 5 years younger/faster than he'll be this season).

If Rex wanted to convince his GM to pay Harris $7-8M/year and guarantee $15M of it, then let him. 

One thing for sure is we'll be drafting a young ILB to groom behind Harris this year.  Hopefully

Bowles will have the same success with Harris like he did with Larry Foote last year in ARZ 

Not hard to figure out.  Identify comparable players and then adjust for cap inflation since the date they signed their deals.

Maybe. But your assuming that relative value from then to now is equal.  Is the relative value of a CB or ILB the same in 2015 as it was in 2010.  Is the relative value of a defensive signal caller the same as some FA guy who doesn't know the play calls?  What was the supply/demand for a particular position at the time of that prior contract signing?  Too many variables IMO to use straight math...

Great morning (Marshall) lousy afternoon (Harris).

Any member of the 2010 New York Jets defense who sh-t the bed that badly in Pittsburgh deserves no money. Should have let him go to Buffalo with bells on, get someone half the age at half the price.

SAR I

He's fast enough to lead our team in tackles year after year.  Who said we were done?  

What does being done (in FA I assume) have to do with anything?

This was stupid and unnecessary. Davis will need a new contract next year. What are we returning to the genius of $15M for a pair of ILBers? At least at one time Scott could do more than 1 thing.

And Harris is an overrated tackler who gets juked and who whiffs too much for an ILB we'll have used up >$50M in spending space on. To say nothing of what a misleading stat tackles are.  If the play goes to him he makes the tackle. If they go away from him he doesn't. Know who gets a lot of tackles? Starters on a defense that's constantly on the field, that's who.

Eh.  I don't totally agree.  I think we overpaid, definitely.... would have liked this deal at 4mm per.... but there's no denying Harris is a good football player and a good Jet.

So double that is just as good?

Nick Folk is a good Jet also but I wouldn't pay him $7M/year because you just don't.

Archived