In Defense of Geno Smith

oc_jet

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That gif is from Week 13, also in December. You're thinking of Week 17, which somehow absolved Geno of the whole season for about half the fanbase.

Didn't he also throw a pick in that final game too?  I always remember saying "how the hell does he have a perfect game when he threw a pick"?

Second play of the game right here...

geno-smith-fumbles-against-titans.gif

This was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me and the Geno experiment.  Late in his 2nd season look at that ball protection.  Does Geno not realize he has some of the smallest hands in the league?  You can't keep the ball out like that!

Every QB on this list is a  step up from Geno. Some more than others, but all of the are.  I hate to say it, I'm usually the last guy to give up on players but I truly think every single option you provided is an upgrade to Geno. (If our goal is to be competitive while looking for our franchise QB)  If you can provide clips of any of these QBs doing the boneheaded sh*t Geno has done with the ball then maybe I'll agree some of them aren't as much better than Geno then I'm making it out to be.  But each one of those guys you provided are much closer to the Dalton line then Geno will ever be imo.

And I have no issue saying this although some may lynch me:

Sanchez is 10x better than Geno Smith.  If he wasn't attached to the butt fumble I would welcome him back this year. Unfotunately thats a nightmare that will haunt him till the end of time.

I don't think any are actually better enough to justify the cost of acquiring them.  I disagree that everyone on that list is better, because Moore hasn't played.  And Fitzpatrick is your quintessential journeyman QB who played with a great duo of weapons last year and a very good RB.   

I think Sanchez/Foles/Locker are all on the same level as Geno.  Maybe they can be a bit better, but it won't make enough of a difference to bring them in.   Part of the issue is that we can't really tell how much Rex held back Sanchez or Geno, or how much Chip helped Foles. 

Bradford could be better if he stayed healthy, but the problem is really health with him, and at this point I don't know if we can count on him to be healthy.  

I would love to bring someone in to compete with Geno for sure, but I'm not sure if it really takes us to the next step that we hope for with the team or just improves us by say a win over Geno, which doesn't really make a difference in the long run.  Ultimately, our franchise QB has to come through the draft.  

This was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me and the Geno experiment.  Late in his 2nd season look at that ball protection.  Does Geno not realize he has some of the smallest hands in the league?  You can't keep the ball out like that!

I believe that one if from the first year, you can see stud Clyde Gates out there wandering about right before he gets hit.  Still a stupid play.  

Let's face it unless we draft Mariota , trade with the Eagles for Foles , trade for Glennon or sign Mallett as a FA - its very possible that Geno is under center in 2015.

As others have stated here , the new offense under Chan is a better fit for Geno and is more similiar to the offense he ran at WVU. In addition with  the pickups we're making and are still to be made he will have a much better chance of succeeding than in the past seasons. Am I confident with Geno as our starting QB - no , Do I believe the past regime did everything in their control to help him and the offense - Hell no . This makes me believe that Geno will be given one final chance to prove his worth.

And I love all the video lowlights posted here. I suggest those posters should look at the viable replacements for Geno this season and post all their  All pro highlight reels.

I believe that one if from the first year, you can see stud Clyde Gates out there wandering about right before he gets hit.  Still a stupid play.  

yeah Geno didn't have a INT in the last game against Miami.  He did have a fumble lost though. Which to me still warrants my original question lol How the hell can he have a perfect QBR in that miami game when he lost a fumble???

yeah Geno didn't have a INT in the last game against Miami.  He did have a fumble lost though. Which to me still warrants my original question lol How the hell can he have a perfect QBR in that miami game when he lost a fumble???

I think he had a perfect passer rating, which doesn't account for fumbles I believe.  His QBR for that game was very high, but I don't think it was perfect.  

He makes stupid plays when he runs, doesn't seem to know how to slide all that well which is weird because we had that same problem with Sanchez.  

It sucks not having a stud QB.   

I think he had a perfect passer rating, which doesn't account for fumbles I believe.  His QBR for that game was very high, but I don't think it was perfect.  

He makes stupid plays when he runs, doesn't seem to know how to slide all that well which is weird because we had that same problem with Sanchez.  

It sucks not having a stud QB.   

I just would like a cerebral QB again.  Pennington if he only had above average arm talent could have easily been something special.

I hope for the day we can get the complete package at QB.

OK so yeah I was mixing up QBR and passer rating.  If anyone else was curious on how you get a 158.3 perfect passer rating:

The NFL passer rating formula includes four variables: completion percentage, yards per attempt, touchdowns per attempt, and interceptions per attempt. Each of those variables is scaled to a value between 0 and 2.375, with 1.0 being statistically average (based on league data between 1960-1970). When the formula was first created, a 66.7 rating indicated an average performance, and a 100+ rating indicated an excellent performance.[3] However, passing performance has improved steadily since then and in 2008 the league average rating was 83.2.[4] A perfect passer rating (158.3) requires at least a 77.5% completion rate, 12.5+ yards per attempt, a touchdown on at least 11.875% of attempts, and no interceptions.[1]  

Let's face it unless we draft Mariota , trade with the Eagles for Foles , trade for Glennon or sign Mallett as a FA - its very possible that Geno is under center in 2015.

As others have stated here , the new offense under Chan is a better fit for Geno and is more similiar to the offense he ran at WVU. In addition with  the pickups we're making and are still to be made he will have a much better chance of succeeding than in the past seasons. Am I confident with Geno as our starting QB - no , Do I believe the past regime did everything in their control to help him and the offense - Hell no . This makes me believe that Geno will be given one final chance to prove his worth.

And I love all the video lowlights posted here. I suggest those posters should look at the viable replacements for Geno this season and post all their  All pro highlight reels.

I was actually trying to find some low lights or breakdowns of the QBs that will be available but there is really isn't much in the way of play by play breakdown analysis of any of them.

With McCagnan and Bowles, I think that the JETS are pointed in the right direction. A GM who is a football talent evaluator and a Coach who has a reputation for using players according to their strengths. We now even supposedly have an OC who maximizes marginal talent. This is the perfect setup for someone who has the issues that Geno possesses. They are going to do everything they can to build the team around him, fortifying the OL, adding both blocking TE and speed/pass catching RB, and on D adding pass rushing OLB, upgrading free safety and CBs, so that all Geno has to do is be a game manager. We will win games with the D as long as he doesnt do anything to lose the games. But you can bet with $55mm in cap space and needing to spend it, the JETs will be beating the bushes for the next two years trying to find "THE GUY".

With McCagnan and Bowles, I think that the JETS are pointed in the right direction. A GM who is a football talent evaluator and a Coach who has a reputation for using players according to their strengths. We now even supposedly have an OC who maximizes marginal talent. This is the perfect setup for someone who has the issues that Geno possesses. They are going to do everything they can to build the team around him, fortifying the OL, adding both blocking TE and speed/pass catching RB, and on D adding pass rushing OLB, upgrading free safety and CBs, so that all Geno has to do is be a game manager. We will win games with the D as long as he doesnt do anything to lose the games. But you can bet with $55mm in cap space and needing to spend it, the JETs will be beating the bushes for the next two years trying to find "THE GUY".

i think there is enough proof in this thread already that Geno is self destructive.  He was already managing games last year and games we would have won if he didn't throw a damn pick 6 in the redzone half the time.

I truly think the only way geno is under center is if there is absolutely nobody available or willing to come to this team.  It would take bringing an uninterested and unmotivated Vick back for Geno to get a start.

i think there is enough proof in this thread already that Geno is self destructive.  He was already managing games last year and games we would have won if he didn't throw a damn pick 6 in the redzone half the time.

I truly think the only way geno is under center is if there is absolutely nobody available or willing to come to this team.  It would take bringing an uninterested and unmotivated Vick back for Geno to get a start.

So...what you're saying is there IS NO DEFENSE for Geno Smith!...LOL

I still think Geno can be a decent NFL QB.  While there are plenty of things that he's done that have been his fault, it wasn't his fault that he was drafted by a team that, during his first two years, in no way valued the offensive side of the ball and was coached by some very poor coaches on the offensive side of the ball.

With some quality coaching for a change, Geno might be able to turn the corner.  He at least deserves that chance.

While I agree with you that Geno had Rex as a HC, he had AT LEAST "improved" offensive coaching under supposed-QB-Guru David Lee & Offensively lauded OC in Marty Morningwheg - not even Sanchez was afforded that "luxury" under Schotty & Matt Cavanaugh.

I am not convinced Geno is the answer, but he had the advantage of better "QB" grooming coaches AND STILL $HAT THE BED.

I see that Geno has talent, but his consistent "BRAIN FARTS" to kill offensive drives keeps me oping McCags acquires at least 2 more QBs ( FA & Draft) to have to compete

My concern with Geno is mentioned in the article...work ethic. It didn't help he stepped into a frat house Rex Jets lockeroom. Right from the draft there were serious concerns raised about his leadership skills and maturity. I am starting to think the leadership issues were a result of his lack of commitment and giving 110% effort. New regime has gotta light a fire under his butt and push him into becoming a decent professional QB. this year is Genos moment of truth, man up or sulk off and remain a loser.

geno-smith-is-not-good-vs-titans-a.gif

Potential. Panache. He's got. It. All.

GrandioseBouncyHerring.gif

MUNDY.0.gif

First 6 seconds of the game right here. Musta been the weapons.

JampackedExaltedBrownbutterfly.gif

Aaaand more December...

EnormousBeautifulAustraliancurlew.gif

Wanna guess which month this one is from?

int-5.gif

What's the name of that Counting Crows song where he sings about a better year to come?

g7xm6u3j7fx7ophng3nk.gif

Who remembers this one? Geno throwing 3 picks right near the red zone, then getting pulled for Vick. Ahh, but dat potential though!

DeficientCornyGiantschnauzer.gif

Second play of the game right here...

geno-smith-fumbles-against-titans.gif

We've really sat through all this sh*t! lol. 

Are you qualified to make this evaluation or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night  ?

Ha, ha. There's a few of these guys on this board, Tony the Wiz, Sar1, guys that if you looked at their histories, they were wrong like most of us are.

SAR1 thought that Matt Lienart should have been our QB at one time.

I was actually trying to find some low lights or breakdowns of the QBs that will be available but there is really isn't much in the way of play by play breakdown analysis of any of them.

And that speaks volumes about our Qb situation.

This had better be the plan. Geno is the best bet for this year. Both QB's in the draft cannot be counted on to even be available at 6. The availble QB's via trade or FA don't appear much better or are injury prone.

I agree with you in regards to the direction of our front office/coaching staff.  But I have a big issue with the statement that all we need from Geno is to be a game manager. Haven't the last 6 years showed us this approach is a loser approach in today's NFL. We didn't sign Brandon Marshall so that we can run the ball and try to win on D, I pray our new CS has this mentality as well. If they don't were in for more losing seasons.

The only game I remember from last season where the Jets had NFL caliber QB play was the Steeler game. Vick was the QB that day. It is clear that

Geno holds the ball too long

Looks at the WR targeted

Does not protect the ball well

Has some footwork issues

Throws a screen pass like my little sister

To me that points to coaching and maybe a teammate informing him the right way how to play ball in this league. Sometimes a guy has to "shown" the ropes.

Wow. I forgot most of those awful picks. Thanks a lot! Geno is terrible. I'd rather have Jake Locker or Bradford and let Geno back him up since they are always hurt. Or Glennon, or Foles. Geno is the perfect #2 QB for the 2015 season. Draft a QB in 2016. There's no way that the Jets don't bring in a Vet to have a chance to beat him out.

I agree with you in regards to the direction of our front office/coaching staff.  But I have a big issue with the statement that all we need from Geno is to be a game manager. Haven't the last 6 years showed us this approach is a loser approach in today's NFL. We didn't sign Brandon Marshall so that we can run the ball and try to win on D, I pray our new CS has this mentality as well. If they don't were in for more losing seasons.

We are actually on the same page. I hope that Geno can be more than just a game manager throwing 20+ TDs to Marshall and Decker, helping us win games. But I am a realist. Like the rest of us, I have not seen enough consistently good football decision making and technique from Geno to think that he can sustain a winning season. So what I am really saying is that, at this point, I think that game manager is the ceiling for him. The front office, if they are any good at talent evaluation, already knows this and have a multi-step multi-year plan to address it:

1. Bring in Chan Gailey, who has had success with these type of QBs before. This should solidify the existing situation
  2. They will bring in a veteran QB to compete and/or take over.
  3. Keep kissing frogs in the draft and free-agency/trade arena until they find their prince.

These guys (McCagnan & Bowles) seem like methodical, logical types who know their asses are on the line here. They know they have to get this right. So they have already started to fit the pieces of the puzzle together. That is what the first piece of bringing in Marshall says to me. The team that we see today and the team which will take the field on opening day will be vastly different. Geno is not the end all but for now, he is who they have. 

Brandon marshall makes this catch

nah dude not even Marshall is making that catch.  The ball has to literally be thrown in a 50/50 situation for Marshall to make that catch.  That ball is thrown 3 yds ahead of a receiver directly into the defenders hands.  Even Marshall can't hide a terribly placed ball.

Archived