Darrelle Revis aims for Super Bowl with Jets

Patriot Killa

Star cornerback Darrelle Revis said he followed his heart, not the money, when choosing the New York Jets over the New England Patriots.

Revis, who signed his five-year, $70 million contract Wednesday night, said it wasn't a hard decision to leave the Super Bowl champions. He declined to say if the Patriots made a competitive offer.

"I'm not going to speak on the numbers," he said on a late-night conference call with reporters. "I think the biggest decision for me was to just come back home. I have a lot of history with the Jets' organization and I just felt like it was, you know, a no-brainer to come home, be back home and make a marriage."

Revis, who played with the Jets from 2007 to 2012, stunned the NFL late Tuesday when he left the Patriots only five weeks after hoisting the Lombardi Trophy.

He was lured back to his original team with a blockbuster contract that includes a fully guaranteed $39 million. The Patriots reportedly dropped out when they heard his demands.

Revis hinted the Patriots missed their chance by declining to exercise the option year in his contract, saying, "You put it in the team's hands if they want to take on the option or not."

The Patriots had until Monday to pick up the option, but it never was a serious considering because of the amount -- a cap-busting $20 million, the second year of the two-year, $32 million contract he signed last March. They maintained exclusive negotiating rights until 4 p.m. Tuesday, but the two sides never got close to a deal.

Revis spoke positively of his one year in New England, saying it was "really awesome" to learn from "a Hall-of-Fame coach," Bill Belichick.

"There's no better way to go out than winning a championship," he said.

Only two years ago, Revis was traded by the Jets because of a bitter stalemate in contract negotiations. On Wednesday night, he sounded like he was reuniting with an old flame, claiming "there's a lot of love here."

"They drafted me and I have a lot of history here," said Revis, whose time in New York was tainted by two contract holdouts. "I love being around the people I met in the organization. I just have a lot of ties here. This is where my heart is."

Revis, who lives in South Florida, flew via private jet to New Jersey, landing at 4:40 p.m. in Morristown, a short drive from the Jets' facility. He passed his physical and, after a delay as the two sides pored over language in the contact, he officially became a member of the Jets.

Again.

Now, he said, he wants to bring a Super Bowl to the Jets, recalling a vow he made to former general manager Mike Tannenbaum on the day he was drafted in 2007. That won't be easy. The Jets, coming off a 4-12 season, are starting over with a new coaching staff.

"I told (Tannenbaum) I'd do everything in my power to try to bring a championship to this organization, and I still feel that way," he said. "That's something I want to be part of. The thing I want to bring to the organization is winning. That was one of the big reasons to come back home. I still have that mindset."

I guess Revis never got the word that BB is over-rated as a coach.

Oh come on. Without TB12 there wasn't a chance the Pats could win that Superbowl.

Even with him a took one of the worst calls in history of football to pull it off. That was bend but don't break & hope the other team has a brain fart.

You look at the Pats without Revis & Browner and the Seahawks with Jimmy Graham & you know right away that they'll never sniff another Super Bowl shot.

It is definitely OVER!

Oh come on. Without TB12 there wasn't a chance the Pats could win that Superbowl.

Even with him a took one of the worst calls in history of football to pull it off. That was bend but don't break & hope the other team has a brain fart.

You look at the Pats without Revis & Browner and the Seahawks with Jimmy Graham & you know right away that they'll never sniff another Super Bowl shot.

It is definitely OVER!

Oh, i guess they never went to the sb before last year. And the only reason seattle was in it was that miraculous catch, that would never had happened 3 years ago when the Harmon the safety would have been allowed to hit the receiver on the ground  and not jump over him.  and of course without TB they would not have won or been in a position to win. Coaches need talent.

Just say that you came back for the money.  We all know that's why you're back.

I wonder how team-first he'll be when we get down the road and it's his massive contract that's keeping us from putting the pieces in place that are necessary to make a serious run.

Just say that you came back for the money.  We all know that's why you're back.

I wonder how team-first he'll be when we get down the road and it's his massive contract that's keeping us from putting the pieces in place that are necessary to make a serious run.

Finally a fan that see through the obvious bullsh*t, i thank you.  I would have more respect for Revis if he said, "i came back for the money/security."  Its honest and we all know it even if some refuse to admit it

There's no way the Patriots see another SB win now that they've lost Revis.

Except for the wins they got without Revis.

They didnt win the SB because of Revis the won because Pete Carroll decided to play Santa Clause a month too late

He has always been a leader, just a selfish prick when it came to contract negotiations.

lol, good for him. let me ask you something, when you look to sell a car, house, do you try to get the highest price?

revis is the best businessman in the game. good on him. he just does to teams what they do to every other player in the NFL.

Who gives a sh*t?? I mean seriously guys grow the **** up already!  Dude is back and wants to win; playing for the Pats as much as we might hate it, might have been the best thing for him and us because he now has a ring and has gone through that process; what it takes to be a championship team and can bring that experience to our guys.   Welcome Back Revis.

He returned because of his love of Green and White.  Mostly green though.  LOL

Exactly.

It is okay for players to admint this.  99% of people would leave their job if offered more money.

There's no way the Patriots see another SB win now that they've lost Revis.

Except for the wins they got without Revis.

Uh, they had a 10 year drought without those CBs, the start of the new drought continues right threw Bradys retirement & then WAY BEYOND.

He has always been a leader, just a selfish prick when it came to contract negotiations.

Agree that Revis is a natural leader but true leadership develops over time and he is still young

This is a development opportunity that could take him to the next level of immortality

Uncle and the agents are the contract biach's (they have now been paid and will hopefully go away)

Archived