Stephen Bowen (DE) Signing?

KRL

Guy was on the Redskins and set to make some pretty big coin.  The 'skins cut him to save the $5M he would have made, but he has been hurt the last couple of years.  Seems like a 3-4 DE that is old and probably done, but he did have 6 sacks in 2011.  Since I moved down here he hasn't done much and he is getting up there in age.  Surprised they signed this guy without even a mention of talking to Douzable.

Per his personal instagram account, Washington Redskins free agent defensive lineman Stephen Bowen has come to terms on a new contract with the New York Jets.  Terms of the deal are unknown at this time.

Bowen, a nine year veteran has spent each of the last four years in Washington with the Redskins after playing his first five seasons as a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

An undrafted free agent, the 6' 5'', 300 lb North Carolina native has logged 113 career games (56 starts), piling up 98 tackles and 12.5 sacks, with his most productive season coming in 2011 when he got to the quarterback six times in sixteen starts to go along with a career-high in tackles as well with 58.

No stranger to the trainers table of late, Bownen missed parts of 2014 on the Physically Unable to Perform List (PUP) during training camp and then through the opening weeks of the season.  That's in addition to missing a large chunk of the 2013 season after suffering a right PCL tear in week 7.  In all, Bowen has been limited to 18 contests over the past two seasons.  Prior to that, he had taken part in no fewer than fourteen games between 2007-2012.

Bowen is no stranger to the New York/New Jersey area having played his college football at Hofstra University where he totaled 168 tackles and 11.5 sacks

Not looking good for Douzable. Feel like he a least earned the right to compete. But looking like us Jets fans are gonna have to move on from him

Yeah, really liked his effort...surprised to see Jets don't appear to be interested in bringing him back.

Yeah, really liked his effort...surprised to see Jets don't appear to be interested in bringing him back.

There is no mention of him meeting with anybody.  Seemed like Rex and them liked him.  Between the Jets and Bills you'd think one would have at least discussed parameters.  It may be a situation where they know what he wants and are waiting him out.  He is a vet min guy I guess. 

I love it how Macc is not only going after starters (Revis, Marshall, Cro), but he's trying to beef up our depth in multiple positions (Gilchrist, Skrine, Bowen, Vickerson, Hilliard, Carpenter, Brewer). And Macc doesn't even appear to be finished. And we STILL have the draft.

Very exciting times!

It also seems like Bowles likes DLinemen that are "long & large" (6-3+ and 300+).  Even the

players that didn't sign with us were big (Canty, Langford, Guy)

Very exciting.

You can tell Bowles wants to rotate guys so everyone's fresh.

But he doesn't want to make that upfront line any smaller so teams can't run on him in the nickel & dime.

Jets were 3rd vs rush last year, they will be better this year.

Meanwhile in Buffalo, Rex is building "Ground & Pound" again.

Enjoy lots of 3rd & 10s Rex.

But, I'll tell you this the Pats are gonna have their hands full stopping the Bills run game with McCoy & the bruising FB that came from the Vikings. Pats are light in the azz up front! And no Wilfork now.

It's obvious to me that Macc is stocking the roster with experienced veteran talent who are still players that can play in the 29-30 yr old range, who have value, to fill out depth at the vet minimum. These players will compete for depth roles, they aren't all making the team, it's a smart strategy!

It's obvious to me that Macc is stocking the roster with experienced veteran talent who are still players that can play in the 29-30 yr old range, who have value, to fill out depth at the vet minimum. These players will compete for depth roles, they aren't all making the team, it's a smart strategy!

Yup, bring some leadership into the locker room and have a backup plan for early injuries

Considering the ages of most of these FA signings, MacDaddy is going to have to absolutely NAIL! this Draft.

I'll be curious to see if, despite his inexperience as a NFL GM, he can possibly move around in this Draft and pickup a couple of extra mid-round picks

Considering the ages of most of these FA signings, MacDaddy is going to have to absolutely NAIL! this Draft.

I'll be curious to see if, despite his inexperience as a NFL GM, he can possibly move around in this Draft and pickup a couple of extra mid-round picks

Not following, FA pick ups have a healthy mix of core players being added who are in prime of careers and are still young or relatively young, the more recent pickups are the 1 year players being added to compete to fill roles and depth, this is a yearly exercise, doesn't really impact th draft, or make the draft any more or less important.

Leger Douzable= Rex's guy.

Stephen Bowen= Bowles and Rodgers' guy

What makes Douzable Rex's guy?  He was one of Idzik's bargain bin players and performed well.  Sort of like Colon.  If he were a real Rex guy, I assume Rex would have given him the vet min in Buffalo by now.  I mean we are all claiming Rex runs the roster up there, right?  He is no more a Rex guy than Antonio Garay. 

Fun fact: Type Jim Leonhard into a search engine - top choices are wife, salary, news and stinks.

Bowles and Big Mac seem to have a certain body type they want to fill the d-line. Tall and rangy with a little beef to them. Seems like they want the line to keep o-linemen off the LB's. Sounds like a plan. Something the former regimes never really had.

Bring em all in, see who gets hurt in TC.  Sound.  Better than fishing around for guys a week before the season.

Archived