Good For Amaro

KRL

Oh, if we want to talk about luck in this equation, I can bring plenty of where I thought Rex was "lucky"

-Was it luck or great coaching that he got to face an undefeated Indy team that rested Manning in the second half, that would have eliminated the Jets?

-Was it luck or great coaching where he got to face 2 incompetent playoff coaches in Marvin Lewis (career 0-6 in playoffs) and Norv Turner?

If you want to bring "luck" ,into the equation of comparison, you open a whole new can or worms, and frankly, it is a pretty weak basis of argument. Luck? LOL

You can say whatever you like.  It still doesn't change the atrocious numbers your boy Sanchez posted while he rode his defense and running game to the playoffs.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lets pretend for a second that you are not out of your mind wrong, which you are.......

If Rex was able to take a 5-16 bunch with such a lack of talent to 2 AFCCG's, why were the last 4 years so bad?

Its hard to have much less talent than a 5-16 team, Few teams in the salary cap have been that bad.

So if he was such a great coach to be able to take those teams so far, why was he so unable to take last years team, which he said by the way that nobody is going to want to play, and this was the team that he always wanted to coach, and that he had a MAJOR hand in building in his 5 prior years here, why was he only able to take THAT team to 4-12?

Please riddle me that one batman.

I'm not interested. All I'm saying is that Rex did not inherit a talented team. Without Favre, they were not good. The rest of this debate bores me, and you're the most boring new poster on the site. Whining and crying about "Rex lovers" in virtually every post, as if the people who liked Rex are the obsessed ones. Take a look in the mirror, Dude, you're the one who is obsessed.

Rex did some good things here, like taking a downtrodden Mangini squad to the AFCCG two years in a row with Mark Sanchez at QB. He failed to sustain that, was involved in a couple poor personnel decisions, and didn't grow as a head coach. Then he got fired. End of story. I'm now in the midst of giving Maccagnan and Bowles a little honeymoon period because this brand of bickering you seem to enjoy so much I find to be tedious as hell.

But by all means, carry on with your charismatic blend of antagonizing boredom.

Oh, if we want to talk about luck in this equation, I can bring plenty of where I thought Rex was "lucky"

-Was it luck or great coaching that he got to face an undefeated Indy team that rested Manning in the second half, that would have eliminated the Jets?

-Was it luck or great coaching where he got to face 2 incompetent playoff coaches in Marvin Lewis (career 0-6 in playoffs) and Norv Turner?

If you want to bring "luck" ,into the equation of comparison, you open a whole new can or worms, and frankly, it is a pretty weak basis of argument. Luck? LOL

2 kick return Tds and a fumble returned to lose to a team with 104 yards of total offense?  Thanks Woodhead!  Lose in OT in a game where Sanchez throws 5 picks and Weatherford inexplicable throws another?  Sanchez throws 3 picks to the Falcons?  #LuckCity  Looking over that season I get angry that Westoff always gets a free ride around here.

And then you equate his good numbers in the playoffs to "luck".

Great analysis, Lombardi.

Well Scott, we can't all be the brilliant football mind that is you.  We can always try though.

Thanks, coach!

I'm not interested. All I'm saying is that Rex did not inherit a talented team. Without Favre, they were not good. The rest of this debate bores me, and you're the most boring new poster on the site. Whining and crying about "Rex lovers" in virtually every post, as if the people who liked Rex are the obsessed ones. Take a look in the mirror, Dude, you're the one who is obsessed.

Rex did some good things here, like taking a downtrodden Mangini squad to the AFCCG two years in a row with Mark Sanchez at QB. He failed to sustain that, was involved in a couple poor personnel decisions, and didn't grow as a head coach. Then he got fired. End of story. I'm now in the midst of giving Maccagnan and Bowles a little honeymoon period because this brand of bickering you seem to enjoy so much I find to be tedious as hell.

You know things are going bad when a Mod calls a new poster out as "boring" when he doesn't agree with his position.

Where's the love and understanding?

Of course they don't...that's why I said Thursday night football.

Is it worth Monday night or Sunday night...eh, probably not. Thursday night? Yeah, sure it is.

Thursday night football matchups are effin awful...jets bills would probably get good ratings for Thursday night.

Interestingly....  I think Thursday night has become as big as Monday.  

Rex won because of tidal movements, eclipses and celestial positioning!

Yeah, luck!

Sanchez had a fistful of pixie dust man...there was no stopping him.  Man among boys.  Can't wait for the movie.

You know things are going bad when a Mod calls a new poster out as "boring" when he doesn't agree with his position.

Where's the love and understanding?

The Rise and Fall of Rex Ryan has played itself out. It's over. He's gone. We have a new head coach and GM and a draft coming up. The Rex Ryan discussion had already worn thin a couple months ago. Now it's just pathetic. And yes, boring.

As for Amaro's quote, I hope Bowles works out. He's talking the right way. It's easier to come in as the no-nonsense tough guy and then ease up on the reins a little bit than it is to come in as everyone's buddy and then try to crack the whip. This is a guy who also has a player friendly reputation, so we'll see how it plays out. I'm hoping he can successfully straddle that fence - much in the way Parcells could. Players would laugh when Big Bill would chew someone out - as long as it wasn't them!

Rex failed to grow into a complete head coach, I'm hoping Bowles does. Rex's defenses didn't cause enough turnovers, I'm hoping Bowles' does. Philosophically, they're really not much different. We're going to run a lot of man with a lot of blitzing on defense. The hope is that he executes better. That he made the right hire in Chan Gailey, and that he grows into a coach who coaches the entire football team.

I'm really most excited about an actual football man in charge of the personnel. Way too many years of an accountant running the show, with John Idzik maybe being the worst NFL executive since Matt Millen. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the offseason so far, and I'm really looking forward to the draft.

So much going on, rehashing the Rex Ryan Saga is just a waste of time. As divisive as it is dull.

How does one argue "luck" when analyzing.

That as an all timer. 

"Well, I don't have an answer why Sanchez did well in the playoffs. Had to be luck". 

Nah coach, he had ALL the pixie dust.

The Rise and Fall of Rex Ryan has played itself out. It's over. He's gone. We have a new head coach and GM and a draft coming up. The Rex Ryan discussion had already worn thin a couple months ago. Now it's just pathetic. And yes, boring.

As for Amaro's quote, I hope Bowles works out. He's talking the right way. It's easier to come in as the no-nonsense tough guy and then ease up on the reins a little bit than it is to come in as everyone's buddy and then try to crack the whip. This is a guy who also has a player friendly reputation, so we'll see how it plays out. I'm hoping he can successfully straddle that fence - much in the way Parcells could. Players would laugh when Big Bill would chew someone out - as long as it wasn't them!

Rex failed to grow into a complete head coach, I'm hoping Bowles does. Rex's defenses didn't cause enough turnovers, I'm hoping Bowles' does. Philosophically, they're really not much different. We're going to run a lot of man with a lot of blitzing on defense. The hope is that he executes better. That he made the right hire in Chan Gailey, and that he grows into a coach who coaches the entire football team.

I'm really most excited about an actual football man in charge of the personnel. Way too many years of an accountant running the show, with John Idzik maybe being the worst NFL executive since Matt Millen. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the offseason so far, and I'm really looking forward to the draft.

So much going on, rehashing the Rex Ryan Saga is just a waste of time. As divisive as it is dull.

Thats all cool and all, it really is. That being said, there are plenty of posters arguing on Rex's behalf in this thread, and you chose to single ME out. So its not the conversation you have a problem with, its my take on the conversation that you have a problem with. When you chimed in and were shown how foolish your stance is, you chose to play the boring route, but if it looks like sh!t, and it smells like sh!t, I don't want to taste it for verification.

WTF are you talking about, seriously?

Parcells took over a 1-15 team and took it to 9-7 with a horrible QB situation.

Rex took over a 9-7 team and made it 9-7.

I don't even like Parcells, but this is ludicrous.

And in 2008 Tony Sparano took a 1-15 team to 11-5 with Chad who Mangini went 4-12 with the year before.. Rex took over a 9-7 team that had Favre at QB and went 9-7 with a rookie QB..

Thats all cool and all, it really is. That being said, there are plenty of posters arguing on Rex's behalf in this thread, and you chose to single ME out. So its not the conversation you have a problem with, its my take on the conversation that you have a problem with. When you chimed in and were shown how foolish your stance is, you chose to play the boring route, but if it looks like sh!t, and it smells like sh!t, I don't want to taste it for verification.

You chose a user name that would suggest that you're looking forward, but instead a solid 90% of your posts are bitching about the Rex Ryan past. So it's not just chiming in with this thread, it's chiming in because since you've signed up you've been obnoxiously rehashing an argument that had finally started dying out.

I was hoping you'd grow as a poster, but much like your complaints about Rex Ryan, you have not demonstrated an ability to grow. Be fun to see if you can eventually be less abrasive, and maybe talk about something other than the coach who was fired four months ago. Truth be told, I'm not optimistic.

Pretty excellent post.  I don't know why Jets' fans become so obsessed with failed players/coaches.   Rex is gone.  We have a new HC/GM to focus on, and eventually hate.  Move on.  Lets start building on how we are going to crucify Bowles/ Macc when the time comes.

Think of all the fun we will have just with Bowles name when the time comes to turn on him.   

Parcels was by far the best coach since the super bowl for the jets.

He turned things around over night and the only problem is that he didn't stick around longer.

I think Parcells was better then Weeb and he did a good job in 1997..However in 1996 Neil O'Donnell was hurt and played just 6 games in 97 he was healthy and had 17 tds and 7 picks.. I think the Tuna could have made the playoffs had he not got too cute with some plays with Leon Johnson and Lucas that threw picks in crucial times in the 4th quarter.. The Tuna hated O'Donnell and was gone after the season.. 

I think Parcells was better then Weeb and he did a good job in 1997..However in 1996 Neil O'Donnell was hurt and played just 6 games in 97 he was healthy and had 17 tds and 7 picks.. I think the Tuna could have made the playoffs had he not got too cute with some plays with Leon Johnson and Lucas that threw picks in crucial times in the 4th quarter.. The Tuna hated O'Donnell and was gone after the season.. 

Parcells had no want for O'Donnell. 

If there would have been reviews, I believe that Leon Johnson interception would have been overturned against the Lions. Correct? Still an unbelievably bad call.

So true. I think he was right in not falling in love with Neil for the long term. But Neil throwing passes with the game on the line was a better option than Leon Johnson lol.

It was YOU that applied the Pixie dust when you said Rex would win a SB with any competent qb. 

Who can argue with witchcraft crystal ball analysis with a sprinkle of luck compote nets.

Quality stuff. ;)

No one can know what a better QB could have done come playoff time.. Look at the 9-7-10-6 Giants did to a undefeated and 13-3 Brady led Pat teams in the Bowl.. But I do know what Pixie dust did in 2004 with 2 overtime games in the regular season did for one Jet player..LOL 

It was YOU that applied the Pixie dust when you said Rex would win a SB with any competent qb. 

Who can argue with witchcraft crystal ball analysis with a sprinkle of luck compote nets.

Quality stuff. ;)

Nope...I said having a better QB would make the team better.  You implied that my assertion was based on pixie dust.  I wonder how much of that stuff they have in Foxboro.

I'd be willing to bet each and every person whining about Rex Ryan being brought up and that he is 'in the past' will be in full force the minute buffalo or Rex does anything right next year.

Yeah, and those who don't like him aren't going to say a word when something goes wrong.

No one is surprised by any of this. Rex tried to take the short cut to credibility--buddy/buddy--rather than the more meaningful and long term route--gain respect ala parcells and coughlin.

Coughlin is a bad example IMO.  He basically lost the team and had to lighten up   The church lady is a borderline horror with his authoritarian bullsh*t.  :"Leadership Council" indeed.

Yeah, and those who don't like him aren't going to say a word when something goes wrong.

They already post every time he is quoted or gets his crappy pickup wrapped.

People like to say Rex did well with a  Mangini built team. If Bowles does well this season(And I hope he does) no one will say he did well with a Rex built team or defense..On the other hand if Rex does well it will be on a Marrone built team..LOL

Nope...I said having a better QB would make the team better.  You implied that my assertion was based on pixie dust.  I wonder how much of that stuff they have in Foxboro.

Since your memory is so bad, here is exactly what you said

"Even a bad QB on those teams and a SB is realistic.  Sadly for the Jets a bad QB wasn't attainable so we had to settle for watching horrific."

No one knows that. Sanchez performed very well in those playoffs. A "bad" qb may have performed much worse, and the Jets get knocked out in the first round.

Staging a replacement of player x on team y and saying the results would be different are of course impossible to do, and lazy analysis at best.

Archived