Not Good MIA

KRL

Not sure I agree.  Haynesworth had a couple of the more dominant years I have ever seen out of a defensive lineman.  Then he signed with the Redskins for a ton money and became fat.  Not that there is anything wrong with that. 

And this is somehow wrong?

Guys, this about the phins and maybe their disaster of a season. Let's stay on topic and bash away.

true.  Lets talk about how they took a guy who couldnt get a football job and became an agent to come in and immediately make terrible decisions.

suh, tannehill extension, stills, greg jennings????

hahahahahaha.  Classic tannenclown.

the difference btw NYG 2007/2011 and NYJ 2009/2010 was very small.  they got some breaks, we didn't.  they have a clear fumbled whistled dead in 2011 title game at the end that would have won it for SF and we get a forward pass called a fumble for a TD against Pitt.

you can't get to a SB w/o reaching the playoffs, you can't get to a SB w/o getting to a conf title game.  Under Tannenbaum we had more chances than another regime in our history.  No one is saying build a statue but can we have at least some appreciation for it? especially after the way the last few years have gone.

The difference is they didn't shi* the bed in the title game.  The Jets did not lose to Pitt or Indy becasue of some unfortunate play here or there.  Pittsburgh ran it down our throats took advantage of a turnover and had us down 24-0.  Indy simply let their 3rd/4th wide out kill our 3rd/4th CB with our coach making no discernible adjustment.  They won twosuper bowls and better yet beat the pats in both.  We failed when the chips were down.  Was it nice to get to those games?  I'd be a liar if I said no but neither the Qb nor the coach both of who had a hand in not getting to the dance should be treated as if they won a super bowl.

The difference is they didn't shi* the bed in the title game.  The Jets did not lose to Pitt or Indy becasue of some unfortunate play here or there.  Pittsburgh ran it down our throats took advantage of a turnover and had us down 24-0.  Indy simply let their 3rd/4th wide out kill our 3rd/4th CB with our coach making no discernible adjustment.  They won twosuper bowls and better yet beat the pats in both.  We failed when the chips were down.  Was it nice to get to those games?  I'd be a liar if I said no but neither the Qb nor the coach both of who had a hand in not getting to the dance should be treated as if they won a super bowl.

Favre handed NYg the '07 title game and NYG scored on 2 possessions in the 2nd half and OT vs. SF- BOTH set up by muffed/fumbled punts deep in SF territory.

again, you cannot get to a Sb w/o making that game first.  Give me a title game loss and the excitement of that run over missing the playoffs any time.

I've learned from our Santonio experience that it's just not worth bringing in a guy with major red flags or character flaws regardless of talent.  That person becomes bigger than the team and can really do some damage on and off the field.

Doesn't Brandon Marshall have lots of red flags too?

Sometimes red flags are right.  Sometimes they're wrong.

Favre handed NYg the '07 title game and NYG scored on 2 possessions in the 2nd half and OT vs. SF- BOTH set up by muffed/fumbled punts deep in SF territory.

again, you cannot get to a Sb w/o making that game first.  Give me a title game loss and the excitement of that run over missing the playoffs any time.

The jets were in no position to be looking for that kind of break in their games, that is the point.  Every single team that has ever won a superbowl is going to have some breaks go their way long the road.  The Giants came through and won the big one, the jets didn't even make the big one.  Being happy the team makes the afc title games?  Good.  Devalring that mark sanchez was a very good Qb for doing so or rex for almost making it to the super bowl , now.

(We beat Indy the one year because they went prevent and their numb nuts coach called a time out on D  We beat Sand Diego there year before becasue Kaeding missed 3 FGs)

The jets were in no position to be looking for that kind of break in their games, that is the point.  Every single team that has ever won a superbowl is going to have some breaks go their way long the road.  The Giants came through and won the big one, the jets didn't even make the big one.  Being happy the team makes the afc title games?  Good.  Devalring that mark sanchez was a very good Qb for doing so or rex for almost making it to the super bowl , now.

(We beat Indy the one year because they went prevent and their numb nuts coach called a time out on D  We beat Sand Diego there year before becasue Kaeding missed 3 FGs)

again, the Giants benefitted from some huge breaks or they don't make either SB.  they had great runs but those NYG teams and our NYJ teams were very similar.  a play here or there changes everything for both.

now we take away credit from our wins?  had Indy not called TO we still win, we were in control.  at SD Kaeding missed 2 makeable kicks, our K did the same the following week.  we were the better team in each game.

Doesn't Brandon Marshall have lots of red flags too?

Sometimes red flags are right.  Sometimes they're wrong.

He's not known as a locker room cancer though, it's also been a long time since his Dolphin years so I think you give a little more benefit of the doubt considering he hasn't been in trouble in quite a while. Also, he's played on game I'm a huge fan and love what I see but whether or not it was a good move is yet to be determined.

you can't get to a SB w/o reaching the playoffs, you can't get to a SB w/o getting to a conf title game.  Under Tannenbaum we had more chances than another regime in our history.  No one is saying build a statue but can we have at least some appreciation for it? especially after the way the last few years have gone.

If your argument is that we should be more appreciative of 2009/2010 because the next four years sucked ass then you're only rewarding Tannenbaum for his successes and never for his failures. If you want to credit him for getting us close to the mountaintop then you also have to acknowledge the price we paid for those years was also his fault and in many ways we continue to pay the price. Tannenbaum's whole approach was buying a good team which is fine when you can afford it. We were helped along in his first few years with some good drafts and given our scouting department's poor work over Bradway's tenure it seems Mangini was the positive influence. Having good draft picks helped stretch Tannenbaum's dollars. We lost that when Rex came on. Rex might have been the right coach at the right time in 09-10 but he was a terrible influence on talent acquisition (and development) that helped fuel so many stupid decisions. Then he just kept signing stupid, overpriced contracts that left us dropping talent that gave us 2011-12. Idzik was a result of needing somebody to tighten the belt to fix the cap situation. We continue to suffer in several areas--especially QB--as a result of that line of boom and bust management. I think a lot of people will disagree with you that two AFCCE appearances was worth four or more years of total embarrassment.

If your argument is that we should be more appreciative of 2009/2010 because the next four years sucked ass then you're only rewarding Tannenbaum for his successes and never for his failures. If you want to credit him for getting us close to the mountaintop then you also have to acknowledge the price we paid for those years was also his fault and in many ways we continue to pay the price. Tannenbaum's whole approach was buying a good team which is fine when you can afford it. We were helped along in his first few years with some good drafts and given our scouting department's poor work over Bradway's tenure it seems Mangini was the positive influence. Having good draft picks helped stretch Tannenbaum's dollars. We lost that when Rex came on. Rex might have been the right coach at the right time in 09-10 but he was a terrible influence on talent acquisition (and development) that helped fuel so many stupid decisions. Then he just kept signing stupid, overpriced contracts that left us dropping talent that gave us 2011-12. Idzik was a result of needing somebody to tighten the belt to fix the cap situation. We continue to suffer in several areas--especially QB--as a result of that line of boom and bust management. I think a lot of people will disagree with you that two AFCCE appearances was worth four or more years of total embarrassment.

Again, I am not saying we should erect a statue outside the stadium but acting like he was awful here just isn't reality and makes all Jet fans look bad.  We haven't won a SB since the 1968 season, we all know that and understand that, but that doesn't mean we cannot appreciate what limited success we have had.

Bad drafts happen, it always cracks me up that jet fans praise Mangini but bash Rex and tannenbaum when mangini never did even won a playoff game.  if mangini was this personnel guru he'd be working in a front office somewhere.

Tannenbaum didn't give us 4 bad years post title game, he was only here for 2 of them and one we had lost our best players on O and D in September.

Sorry, but I think it is unfair to judge Mike T and Rex by a different set of standards than anyone else.  I remember we all loved Parcells; he brought us back to credibility; greatest thing since Jets SB.  And, he only got us to one AFC championship game.  The first 2 years these two brought us close.  It went to crap after that (also with Parcells with Vinny tearing his achilles).  Yet we were there.

If we are only going to consider SB wins well than every year 31 teams suck; every decade at least 70% of the teams suck.  If it is unfair to make excuses for players like they had no weapons because all that counts are the wins, or talk about how we could have won this game or that, then it should be equally unfair to take away wins because of a break here or there.

If we are going to play that game, I remember the Jets just missing out on going to the AFC championship game (I think) in Foxboro because our kicker (I think Hall) missed 2 makable field goals in Pittsburg and we lost in OT.  So, was that team really great an Pittsburg didn't have a good team?

Yes, some teams get lucky breaks, and some teams don't in games.  Teams need to be lucky (to some degree) to win the super bowl, but with the playoffs and the big game, you may be lucky, but you are still a good team.  We may have had some luck, but these teams were pretty damn good to make it that far (and crappy teams that draft in the top 10 every year) would never make it there.

Let's give credit where credit is due.  They gave us two very successful years.  They couldn't hold the band together and they are both gone.  We have a GM/HC I think many are happy with.  If they can have the same success in the short term, I will be very happy - even if we luck into it.  Hopefully, this duo will not only get us to the AFC championship game, but hopefully, in the not too distant future, they can take us all the way...

I watched that whole game yesterday and for the most part Suh was handled one on one. An believe me Jags center is nowhere as good Mangold.

The idea of signing Suh, along with his own pressure, was to make others more effective along the line. So far it's not working out that way although things could change.

so you'd prefer a div title and going one and done to playing for the right to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl?

he ran our team into the ground? that's interesting, we had made one title game 1983-2005 before he took over but I get it.  Jet fans have the highest of standards- only SB WINS for us!

Well, yes, the Super Bowl should always be the standard. You don't agree?  

Parcells won a division title.  All hail the mighty one.  Makes a big difference come January.

he did, the '98 team was probably our best since SB III but that season ended in the same place as 2009 and 2010 and in 2010 we had a chance late in the game which we didn't have in '82, '98 or '09.

Archived