fitz apologists

kmnj

Well, the WRs and OL do deserve part of the blame. 

The OL sucked against Phillly backups, and other than Marshall, the Jet WRs sucked... and Marshall gave the Philly offense another possession on a silver platter with that stupid lateral.

How many times did Fitz have a clean pocket? How many throws were rushed? I'm not arguing Fitz is a great QB, but bad football usually happens because of several breakdowns.  

Don't forget about the 4 mph winds at Metlife last week. For Fitz that may as well have been gale force. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he hasn't been good but we have won 2 of 3 and he has provided a veteran presence and his teammates are responding well to him.

I don't think Fitz has been that bad but I have to agree with you the Team has definitely responded to Fitz. I think the team has zero respect for Geno especially after getting knocked out. I just don't think Geno or Fitz is the answer. Fitz at least understands Gaiely's system and can read defenses and doesn't get flustered when he throws a pic. Geno does not respond well to pressure and if his team doubts him he will fold he is not mentally tough. Just my opinion, I hope I am wrong and Geno comes in a lights it up and becomes our franchise  QB. It's just too bad Fitz didn't have Geno's arm.

I don't think Fitz has been that bad but I have to agree with you the Team has definitely responded to Fitz. I think the team has zero respect for Geno especially after getting knocked out. I just don't think Geno or Fitz is the answer. Fitz at least understands Gaiely's system and can read defenses and doesn't get flustered when he throws a pic. Geno does not respond well to pressure and if his team doubts him he will fold he is not mentally tough. Just my opinion, I hope I am wrong and Geno comes in a lights it up and becomes our franchise  QB. It's just too bad Fitz didn't have Geno's arm.

The problem with comments like this is that it makes it seem like Fitz is similar to Pennington.  Pennington was an extremely football-smart QB lacking a big arm.  Penny could pick a D apart.  This isn't Fitz.  If Fitz had Geno's arm, he'd still be reading defenses wrong and missing open WRs.

Fitz isn't some great QB that can read defenses, only lacking arm strength.  See here for proof:  http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/123497-jets-passing-offense-film-review-week-3/?do=findComment&comment=2874776

The problem with comments like this is that it makes it seem like Fitz is similar to Pennington.  Pennington was an extremely football-smart QB lacking a big arm.  Penny could pick a D apart.  This isn't Fitz.  If Fitz had Geno's arm, he'd still be reading defenses wrong and missing open WRs.

Fitz isn't some great QB that can read defenses, only lacking arm strength.  See here for proof:  http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/123497-jets-passing-offense-film-review-week-3/?do=findComment&comment=2874776

You are nort understanding my point. The point is Fitz is the quarterback we have now, who is the starting QB of our team who would be better served to have better arm strength. Do u think Geno would hit Decker on that slant route for touchdown or the fade to Marshall in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown, no. I am not making a point for Fitz as our future quarterback. We all know he is a backup at best, and I am definitely not comparing him to Chad. Fitz at least knows where to go with the ball once his first read is taken out unlike Geno.  I am in no way advocating Fitz as our starting quarterback I am just reading the hand that we have been dealt at the quarterback situation. Believe me I want to know how Geno will play given the offense of weapons we have acquired but I think he needs a lot of maturity before he can take command of this team.

You are nort understanding my point. The point is Fitz is the quarterback we have now, who is the starting QB of our team who would be better served to have better arm strength. Do u think Geno would hit Decker on that slant route for touchdown or the fade to Marshall in the corner of the end zone for a touchdown, no. I am not making a point for Fitz as our future quarterback. We all know he is a backup at best, and I am definitely not comparing him to Chad. Fitz at least knows where to go with the ball once his first read is taken out unlike Geno. 

Yes I do think Geno would make those throws.  Plus I don't think Geno would have missed a wide open Devin in the end zone.  Also he won't constantly be under throwing deep balls.

Also, I don't really know Fitz knows what to do with the ball if the first read is taken away.  In fact that link seems to suggest (very strongly) otherwise.

At this point things I know.

1.  Fitz has a weaker arm.

2.  He's not some brilliant QB who makes great reads.  I'll admit, I bought into all the Harvard really smart QB talk at first, but it simply isn't true.

3.  Geno does have a stronger arm and more athleticism. 

4.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't know that Geno is a mentally challenged QB.  Given the weapons and system this year, if Geno had Fitz's arm and athleticism, it's still very possible Geno would be the better option.  Fitz has not done well.  Add in Geno's abilities and there's no question in my mind he should be playing very soon.  If he ends up playing like crap, so be it.  Go back to Fitz and pray Petty is progressing nicely.

We all know he is a backup at best,

Now Fitz is a "backup at best" ... really?  Have we fans forgot what it looks like when the Jets quarterback is the worst player on either side of the ball on either team?  

Because we should know very well what that looks like - Geno gave us 2 seasons of it after Sanchez gave us 3.  We were the worst quarterbacked team in the NFL bar none for half a decade. 

And don't even hand me some bull that Fitz's play even approaches these lows. Yet I'm already reading (on JetNation only, btw) that Fitz played "poorly" vs. the Colts. Excuse me but WHAT?

Our defense was pitching a shut out and our while our offense wasn't piling on the points, it was eating up the clock with a lead and not turning the ball over - as it was 10-0 until the 4th quarter w/ 10 minutes when the Colts scored a TD to pull within 3. 

From the Colts.com recap: 

"""FOURTH QUARTER (6:20 remaining)

The Jets extended their lead with a seven-play, 80-yard march for a TD. The big plays were Fitzpatrick's 27-yard pass to Quincy Enunwa and a 16-yard

run by Chris Ivory. Fitzpatrick threw 15 yards to Brandon Marshall for the score. Folk connected on the extra point. Jets 17, Colts 7. """

-

When the chips were down Fitz's play took the game away from the Colts.

But Geno-revisionists claim otherwise. Why? Beats the sh*t outta me. We're just not used to winning, I guess. 

Can't wait to read the backhanded compliments about Fitz when we go 3-1. 

Yes I do think Geno would make those throws. [GENO GOOD] Plus I don't think Geno would have missed a wide open Devin in the end zone. [GENO GOOD]  Also he won't constantly be under throwing deep balls.[GENO GOOD]

Also, I don't really know Fitz knows what to do with the ball if the first read is taken away. [FITZ BAD] In fact that link seems to suggest (very strongly) otherwise. [FITZ BAD]

1.  Fitz has a weaker arm.[FITZ BAD]

2.  He's not some brilliant QB who makes great reads. [FITZ BAD] I'll admit, I bought into all the Harvard really smart QB talk at first, but it simply isn't true.[FITZ BAD]

3.  Geno does have a stronger arm and more athleticism. [GENO GOOD]

4.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't know that Geno is a mentally challenged QB. [GENO GOOD] Given the weapons and system this year, if Geno had Fitz's arm and athleticism, it's still very possible Geno would be the better option. [GENO GOOD] Fitz has not done well. [FITZ BAD] Add in Geno's abilities and there's no question in my mind he should be playing very soon. [GENO GOOD] If he ends up playing like crap, so be it.  Go back to Fitz and pray Petty is progressing nicely.

I broke down your sentences. Basically you wrote "Geno good" 7 times and "Fitz bad" 6 times. Incidentally, you're not alone amongst Genophiles in stating that Geno is the smarter QB, so it's clear you guys are waging a scorched earth campaign here, no grey area allowed, no concessions. 

As for me, I am a Jet fan with a memory. After 4 games last year it turned out that Geno had the third highest INT level of any QB through his 20 games in NFL history and I remember the "we want Vick" chants - very well. A week later Geno was so awful Rex pulled him at halftime and Vick picked up no slack and went 1-4. 

And hey while we're at it Genophiles - be careful what you wish for, at least Vick had a positive body of work behind him.  

I broke down your sentences. Basically you wrote "Geno good" 7 times and "Fitz bad" 6 times. Incidentally, you're not alone amongst Genophiles in stating that Geno is the smarter QB, so it's clear you guys are waging a scorched earth campaign here, no grey area allowed, no concessions. 

As for me, I am a Jet fan with a memory. After 4 games last year it turned out that Geno had the third highest INT level of any QB through his 20 games in NFL history and I remember the "we want Vick" chants - very well. A week later Geno was so awful Rex pulled him at halftime and Vick picked up no slack and went 1-4. 

And hey while we're at it Genophiles - be careful what you wish for, at least Vick had a positive body of work behind him.  

Well we obviously couldn't disagree more, but that was a darn creative comeback so I had to "like" it.  Cheers!

Ultimately pretty sure all of us here want to win regardless.  Just differ on approaches.  I'm looking forward to an "I told ya so" moment after all the sh!t I've gotten for supporting Geno.  But I'd really prefer to be wrong and have Fitz play great.  Just don't see it happening.

Stupid questions?  You think their entire time on the practice field was with Fitz sitting out?  LOL ok

Fan tweets?  You need to get out, read more than whats on the internet.  I pay no attention to fan tweets.  

You want to argue Geno wasn't the QB, hadn't been given the job, didn't deserve it over Fitz go for it.  Youre wrong, but whatever works for you.  

You cited "reports of Geno playing well". The internet is the rapid and voluminous source of reporting, and anything that appears in print most assuredly appears on the internet ten-fold. So, if the internet is not where the "reports" you cited were coming from, where exactly where you getting this reporting that the entire premise of your argument hinges upon?

To be clear, every time Geno made a good play, the beat writers would tweet it - and the fans would retweet it. The fan retweets are what increased exposure, and allowed one good play here and there to turned into the overall perception that "Geno is playing good in camp". You're sitting at your computer talking about reports of him playing good, and whether you read tweets or not, your position and argument has in-fact been influenced by the way the media and fans tweet out play-by-play news from camp.

Go back and look at the reporting, but I guess not on the internet... and you'll see Fitz didn't start getting heavy reps until very, very late in the preseason. There was no competition. There was the incumbent, and a lot of people being hopeful he wasn't hot garbage, and there was Fitz healing, and a lot of people hoping he could be just good enough if Geno was hot garbage.

Your argument is hot garbage, and is exacerbated by the level of obnoxiousness you're relying on instead of making any salient points. Salient I say... salient.

don't forget the Marshall alligator arms.

ge was directly responsible for 2 big turnovers. 

Yep, I actually watch the games - unlike a lot of people here, apparently.

Don't forget about the 4 mph winds at Metlife last week. For Fitz that may as well have been gale force. 

lol

Yes I do think Geno would make those throws.  Plus I don't think Geno would have missed a wide open Devin in the end zone.  Also he won't constantly be under throwing deep balls.

Also, I don't really know Fitz knows what to do with the ball if the first read is taken away.  In fact that link seems to suggest (very strongly) otherwise.

1.  Fitz has a weaker arm.

2.  He's not some brilliant QB who makes great reads.  I'll admit, I bought into all the Harvard really smart QB talk at first, but it simply isn't true.

3.  Geno does have a stronger arm and more athleticism. 

4.  Contrary to popular belief, I don't know that Geno is a mentally challenged QB.  Given the weapons and system this year, if Geno had Fitz's arm and athleticism, it's still very possible Geno would be the better option.  Fitz has not done well.  Add in Geno's abilities and there's no question in my mind he should be playing very soon.  If he ends up playing like crap, so be it.  Go back to Fitz and pray Petty is progressing nicely.

I hope you are right fas he is a QB on are team and I don't want to see anybody on this team fail. I just don't feel he has the respect of his teammates and lack the mental fortitude, but hey I am just a guy behind a computer.

Now Fitz is a "backup at best" ... really?  Have we fans forgot what it looks like when the Jets quarterback is the worst player on either side of the ball on either team?  

Because we should know very well what that looks like - Geno gave us 2 seasons of it after Sanchez gave us 3.  We were the worst quarterbacked team in the NFL bar none for half a decade. 

And don't even hand me some bull that Fitz's play even approaches these lows. Yet I'm already reading (on JetNation only, btw) that Fitz played "poorly" vs. the Colts. Excuse me but WHAT?

Our defense was pitching a shut out and our while our offense wasn't piling on the points, it was eating up the clock with a lead and not turning the ball over - as it was 10-0 until the 4th quarter w/ 10 minutes when the Colts scored a TD to pull within 3. 

From the Colts.com recap: 

"""FOURTH QUARTER (6:20 remaining)

The Jets extended their lead with a seven-play, 80-yard march for a TD. The big plays were Fitzpatrick's 27-yard pass to Quincy Enunwa and a 16-yard

run by Chris Ivory. Fitzpatrick threw 15 yards to Brandon Marshall for the score. Folk connected on the extra point. Jets 17, Colts 7. """

-

When the chips were down Fitz's play took the game away from the Colts.

But Geno-revisionists claim otherwise. Why? Beats the sh*t outta me. We're just not used to winning, I guess. 

Can't wait to read the backhanded compliments about Fitz when we go 3-1. 

I want to stick with Fitz as our starter, I was talking him being a backup in the future not at the present time. If you read the rest of my posts I would like us to stick with Fitz, unless he totally sh*ts the bed

As I read these arguments, I see in my mind two groups of people on opposite sides of the street holding home made signs, like at a political rally

One side has signs that read "WORST STARTER"

The other side has signs that read "BEST BACK-UP"

and I giggle a little

You cited "reports of Geno playing well". The internet is the rapid and voluminous source of reporting, and anything that appears in print most assuredly appears on the internet ten-fold. So, if the internet is not where the "reports" you cited were coming from, where exactly where you getting this reporting that the entire premise of your argument hinges upon?

To be clear, every time Geno made a good play, the beat writers would tweet it - and the fans would retweet it. The fan retweets are what increased exposure, and allowed one good play here and there to turned into the overall perception that "Geno is playing good in camp". You're sitting at your computer talking about reports of him playing good, and whether you read tweets or not, your position and argument has in-fact been influenced by the way the media and fans tweet out play-by-play news from camp.

Go back and look at the reporting, but I guess not on the internet... and you'll see Fitz didn't start getting heavy reps until very, very late in the preseason. There was no competition. There was the incumbent, and a lot of people being hopeful he wasn't hot garbage, and there was Fitz healing, and a lot of people hoping he could be just good enough if Geno was hot garbage.

Your argument is hot garbage, and is exacerbated by the level of obnoxiousness you're relying on instead of making any salient points. Salient I say... salient.

sure, you keep,telling yourself he wasn't winning. It was just tweets.  The HC, OC, beat writers etc were fooled too. 

Geno has shown us NOTHING SO FAR that merits any more consideration than Duck poo floating on/in (?) a pond.

talent be damned!!!!!! Nagle could throw it through 2 stacked panels of back to back 5/8" DRYWALL!!!!!!

doesnt mean he didn't $hït the bed facing the blitz resulting in a chuck & Duck!! Just like Geno.

Neither had MAWWWWBLES!!!!!!!

sure, you keep,telling yourself he wasn't winning. It was just tweets.  The HC, OC, beat writers etc were fooled too. 

If you would stop and listen to logic it really would help. When Geno was awarded the starting job good reports or no good reports Fitz was not doing much of anything but healing and getting stronger from a broken leg and everything that comes with that type of injury. Geno was awarded the starting job by default because he certainly didn't win it in 7 on 7 drills. He got most of the first team reps from the start and was given every chance to win the job but doing that wearing a red jersey is much different than doing it in live action.

Geno lost the job by being an idiot something he has done in the past and will probably continue to do. If Geno was putting in hard work and not doing stupid things like tweeting in meetings and missing meetings all together and IF he had been known for spending countless hours at the facility studying I would have had no problem with Geno coming back as the starter . Along with  all those bad traits mentioned his Turnovers were not just of the regular variety they were terrible plays that left no doubt he was not making sound decisions and that's not good for any QB. There are certain things you just don't do as a QB things you have been taught you're entire life and Geno was pulling them off with regularity and that's not good a QB is not required to learn every single aspect of the position as a pro there are certain things you just don't do no matter what level.

Fitz is now the starter and needs the time afforded any QB to develop timing and familiarity with his offense and WR's. This team is learning 2 new schemes on both offense and defense and that takes time. I said this before the season started that if we can get buy the first half of the season while we were in this learning curve with a decent record we would be in good shape heading into the second half of the season. That would have been the case for Geno as well baring any of his past ridiculous turnovers. Bash Fitz all you want but he has not played stupidly and in game 3 he had 4 balls batted down and multiple drops and 2 tipped balls (one in the hands of his own teammate) Intercepted during drives. This is not Fitz apology its Fitz Facts and while you may not like the guy or want him QB'ing you're team he was not at fault for that loss there were to many breakdowns across the board that cost us that game and IMHO Fitz was the least of those problems.

If Fitz was making boneheaded decisions I would be right there with you calling for a change but this offense seems like it's on the brink of becoming a very good ball control offense, its getting very close, give him the time he needs and start rooting for you're team to win and when they do win be happy as a fan and stop pointing out every little negative you see. Even great teams and QB's make mistakes and have problems during games you can't dissect every little issue.

You seem like a smart guy, maybe you're right. Maybe Geno was 'winning' the 'QB competition' against a rookie the team knew was redshirted from the moment they drafted him, and a veteran still not taking reps while rehabbing an injury. 

If you would stop and listen to logic it really would help. When Geno was awarded the starting job good reports or no good reports Fitz was not doing much of anything but healing and getting stronger from a broken leg and everything that comes with that type of injury. Geno was awarded the starting job by default because he certainly didn't win it in 7 on 7 drills. He got most of the first team reps from the start and was given every chance to win the job but doing that wearing a red jersey is much different than doing it in live action.

Geno lost the job by being an idiot something he has done in the past and will probably continue to do. If Geno was putting in hard work and not doing stupid things like tweeting in meetings and missing meetings all together and IF he had been known for spending countless hours at the facility studying I would have had no problem with Geno coming back as the starter . Along with  all those bad traits mentioned his Turnovers were not just of the regular variety they were terrible plays that left no doubt he was not making sound decisions and that's not good for any QB. There are certain things you just don't do as a QB things you have been taught you're entire life and Geno was pulling them off with regularity and that's not good a QB is not required to learn every single aspect of the position as a pro there are certain things you just don't do no matter what level.

Fitz is now the starter and needs the time afforded any QB to develop timing and familiarity with his offense and WR's. This team is learning 2 new schemes on both offense and defense and that takes time. I said this before the season started that if we can get buy the first half of the season while we were in this learning curve with a decent record we would be in good shape heading into the second half of the season. That would have been the case for Geno as well baring any of his past ridiculous turnovers. Bash Fitz all you want but he has not played stupidly and in game 3 he had 4 balls batted down and multiple drops and 2 tipped balls (one in the hands of his own teammate) Intercepted during drives. This is not Fitz apology its Fitz Facts and while you may not like the guy or want him QB'ing you're team he was not at fault for that loss there were to many breakdowns across the board that cost us that game and IMHO Fitz was the least of those problems.

If Fitz was making boneheaded decisions I would be right there with you calling for a change but this offense seems like it's on the brink of becoming a very good ball control offense, its getting very close, give him the time he needs and start rooting for you're team to win and when they do win be happy as a fan and stop pointing out every little negative you see. Even great teams and QB's make mistakes and have problems during games you can't dissect every little issue.

Listen to your logic?  You didnt need all these words to say, "I refuse to listen to what the CS had to say"  Logic has nothing to do with any of this.  Logic and common sense should have stopped you after the first line.  

Who gives a shlt about your breakdown of why you didn't want Geno to start, he was the starter.  Everyone knew it.  Now you're writing why he shouldn't have been the starter.  Without the benefit of seeing him play a down of football this year.  

You seem like a smart guy, maybe you're right. Maybe Geno was 'winning' the 'QB competition' against a rookie the team knew was redshirted from the moment they drafted him, and a veteran still not taking reps while rehabbing an injury. 

Better approach, convinced yourself now convince others that they werent practicing together.  LOL, stop, thats not true

I just cant understand how anybody can look at Fitz and think he is anything more than I a jag-I told you before the season he was awful and has no arm- I was at the game today like almost every game the past 35 years and he proved without a doubt he is not a NFL starter if you want to go anywhere-make no mistake Gailey knew this and knows him best that is why Geno was given the job early in camp. All of his previous teams that cut him knew this and now he is just older. Those dink and dunks for no yards were terrible. The missing of an open wr for a sure td that would have won the game(punted instead run back for a td) The turnovers terrible. 

Bmarsh loves geno and will bring the best out of Geno-when the jets got harvin last year and decker was healthy Geno looked decent which is way way better than fitz-I would rather go down fighting and trying to use our weapons then playing ultra conservative with a guy that cant throw a ball over 25 yards

The "fitz guys" also loved our last gm and were glad to see revis and cro leave....

We will not  see the playoffs with Fitz-go to Geno-if he fails start the Petty era go from there

Lmao 

eh, you're too dim to make this entertaining

Nothing smarter than being completely wrong and then calling someone not stupid enough to agree, dim.  Keep,stroking yourself that Geno wasn't beating Fitz.  Ignore the reports, you know more than guys like Westhoff. Whatever makes you feel smarter than me.  

Games on, we're playing well, Fitzs looking good.  That's all that counts, today. 

Listen to your logic?  You didnt need all these words to say, "I refuse to listen to what the CS had to say"  Logic has nothing to do with any of this.  Logic and common sense should have stopped you after the first line.  

Who gives a shlt about your breakdown of why you didn't want Geno to start, he was the starter.  Everyone knew it.  Now you're writing why he shouldn't have been the starter.  Without the benefit of seeing him play a down of football this year.  

yeah why give a sh*t about my breakdown. Its simple cause your breakdown is sh*t ... catch the first half BTW ?

One thing is for certain, Geno would be too busy sulking to play well today after performed as poorly as Fitz last week. #weakmentally

Fitz performed bad in the middle of this first half then turned it on in the end to drive us in for the score. I really like the way he directs this Offense

Fitz performed bad in the middle of this first half then turned it on in the end to drive us in for the score. I really like the way he directs this Offense

No QB performs well all the time. I agree he is in command and bounced back from adversity,

yeah why give a sh*t about my breakdown. Its simple cause your breakdown is sh*t ... catch the first half BTW ?

because your stupid breakdown is pointless, has nothing to do with the fact that Geno was the starting QB until he was injured by a punch.  

Archived