Fitz Just Not Good Enough

JohnnyLV

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a whole element on these forums that is just waiting for Fitz to tank so they can happily pitch Geno.  Same with the Rex thing.  A whole element that truly would have been just as happy if rex was 6-1 right now and the jets 2-4.

Fans go so all in and all out. It's strange. Fully admit I bought into Rex but it was clear as day once the good assistants started leaving that he was in over his head, just way too unorganized. Same with Geno- I thought he got a fair enough shot was/is just way too immature to be a starting QB right now.

funny what one loss does to people.

The QB or the team, which goes up or down quicker based of the final score? 

I think that if we had won on Sunday then 12-4 or even 13-3 might have been a reasonable target. With the loss I am comfortable with my 10-6 prediction. What part of any of that is surprising?

If you initially predict a 62.5% win percentage and the team is sitting at 83% after 6 games I would think a revision makes sense to consider.

There's a whole element on these forums that is just waiting for Fitz to tank so they can happily pitch Geno.  Same with the Rex thing.  A whole element that truly would have been just as happy if rex was 6-1 right now and the jets 2-4.

With Rex many of us were frustrated because his end of year job performance evaluation did not seem to jive with the job he had actually done.

you also left out those who will defend Fitz when he throws a int to an open WR out of hate for Geno.  Or deny Geno was outplaying Fitz in camp when everyone knows he was. Don't want to give a ammo to Geno supporters.  Goes each way. 

With Rex many of us were frustrated because his end of year job performance evaluation did not seem to jive with the job he had actually done.

honestly he had maybe 2 down years where his team underachieved and 2011 is one of them but that team was so flawed I think looking back they achieved where they were supposed to be so the only bad year was 2014 when he was sabotaged by his GM.

I think that if we had won on Sunday then 12-4 or even 13-3 might have been a reasonable target. With the loss I am comfortable with my 10-6 prediction. What part of any of that is surprising?

Don't know, what part did you think was surprising?  Who said anything about their record, was talking about people blaming the QB one week, loving him the next, the same worth the team.

Not me. My comments during the week in no way reflect that I want anything other than for the Jets to go 16-0 and win the Super Bowl. I root REALLY hard for Fitz and every Jet during the game. Does not prevent me from being able to be objective as well and recognize flaws. Oh, and every Blowhard loss, especially to teams like Jax is an early Christmas present.

Don't know, what part did you think was surprising?  Who said anything about their record, was talking about people blaming the QB one week, loving him the next, the same worth the team.

Nothing on the surprising part.  I thought it likely we would lose but wanted a good showing at least.

I thought your response to my post indicated some kind of a comment on my point that I would probably change my season prediction if we had managed to get to 5-1.  I am not that sure people have been that inconsistent in their support or non-support of our QB.  It seems to me that positions were hardened some time ago and that there has been little if any movement for some time.

Fitz absolutely should be the qb but how do we only score 23 points on that crappy defense?

The pats have really had only okay to crappy defenses for years and years.  The create turnovers but some how manage to keep teams out of the endzone after getting driven on.

Nothing on the surprising part.  I thought it likely we would lose but wanted a good showing at least.

I thought your response to my post indicated some kind of a comment on my point that I would probably change my season prediction if we had managed to get to 5-1.  I am not that sure people have been that inconsistent in their support or non-support of our QB.  It seems to me that positions were hardened some time ago and that there has been little if any movement for some time.

No, thought you were responding to some who go overboard in either direction based on any given Sunday.  As they've done every week with the QB.  They loose and there's a group that wants Fitz out.  They win and theres a group that wants to anoint Fitz.  Unfortunately we're on a loss so the team has holes and the QB needs to be changed.  

Gets tiring. 

you also left out those who will defend Fitz when he throws a int to an open WR out of hate for Geno.  Or deny Geno was outplaying Fitz in camp when everyone knows he was. Don't want to give a ammo to Geno supporters.  Goes each way. 

No, not nearly as much as what I stated.  Geno was the started going into this year and by most reports was having a good camp.  Fitzpatrick as also just coming off a broken leg.  Geno would have started the year and would have earned it.  Also, most of the people extolling Fitz over geno do not hate geno, they have just seen him be one of the worst Qb's in the league two years going and don't think the team can win with him.  Also as a 2nd round pick and two full years to show his stuff this team owes him nothing at all.

No, thought you were responding to some who go overboard in either direction based on any given Sunday.  As they've done every week with the QB.  They loose and there's a group that wants Fitz out.  They win and theres a group that wants to anoint Fitz.  Unfortunately we're on a loss so the team has holes and the QB needs to be changed.  

Gets tiring. 

This ground has been well ploughed to be sure. 

I absolutely agree with this, unless he takes a significant downturn the rest of the way, or there is a significant upgrade falling off the QB tree.  Fitz by no means is great, but he is at least serviceable which is the best this franchise has had in a long time.

If we make the playoffs, and have some success once we get there (win a Wild Card game), don't be surprised if Fitz goes into next season as the starter again, unless Petty shows significant improvement. 

Fitz is no world-beater. He isn't going to carry a team on his back. But we can do (and have done) a lot worse at the QB position. 

No, not nearly as much as what I stated.  Geno was the started going into this year and by most reports was having a good camp.  Fitzpatrick as also just coming off a broken leg.  Geno would have started the year and would have earned it.  Also, most of the people extolling Fitz over geno do not hate geno, they have just seen him be one of the worst Qb's in the league two years going and don't think the team can win with him.  Also as a 2nd round pick and two full years to show his stuff this team owes him nothing at all.

lol, you're doing it right here. 

The statement was simple, Geno was outplaying Fitz.  The Fitz group can't just admit it.  You always give us the he was but it wasn't over.  We get psychic mambo jumbo and ignore what was was fact.  Never said Fitz couldn't come on, just up to that point he wasn't outplaying Geno.  Love predicting that Fitz would get his shlt together while refusing to think that maybe Geno was.  It's easy to say Geno sucked when the talent around him sucked.   Would have been nice to see what he could do with an improved OL, Marshall, Owusu, Smith and Cham designing and calling plays.

Too many fans let their hate of a player as a person get in the way of his playing ability.. I was looking forward after the way Geno finished last year to see what he could do this year with Chan. But getting hit over 600 bucks did change the way I look at him as a person.. But I know that shouldn't change the way his talent may be on the field if he gets to play..

Too many fans let their hate of a player as a person get in the way of his playing ability.. I was looking forward after the way Geno finished last year to see what he could do this year with Chan. But getting hit over 600 bucks did change the way I look at him as a person.. But I know that shouldn't change the way his talent may be on the field if he gets to play..

I understand that perspective but IMO getting punched may have been the best thing for geno. He seems like he was the kind of guy who needed to get smacked around a little-- some people need a wake up call to get a dose of reality about the way they go about their business. Like in that Simpsons episode where homer punches out mr. Burns

I understand that perspective but IMO getting punched may have been the best thing for geno. He seems like he was the kind of guy who needed to get smacked around a little-- some people need a wake up call to get a dose of reality about the way they go about their business. Like in that Simpsons episode where homer punches out mr. Burns

can someone photoshop Ik and geno?

FrmH0.png

thanks for posting that, good stuff in there. These stats I thought were interesting:

fitz stats when leading (career):

61.6% 36TD/13INT 90.3 rating

Tied:

60.4% 22/12 83.3

behind:

59.6% 76/82 74.7

so if you go into the numbers you see the two fitzpatricks. When the defense gives him a lead he is basically Chad Pennington. When he's playing from behind he turns into geno smith 

so you unearthed an amazing insight that he plays better against the worse teams and worse against the better teams

call ESPN !!!!

lol

The Qb situation in general is always interesting because after camp you really have no indication at all how much a team likes a player during the season who is not the starter.  Has Geno done enough in camp and been an exemplary player while backing up for the team to think he still has a future next year?  Just how much do they really like Petty?  A 4th rounder with some physical skills needing a lot of work.  I think there is no doubt that for now the team likes Fitzpatrick as the starter.

I hope the team keeps searching for that one QB and even draft one high next year if need meets draft position.

Do you know the best way to learn how to be a leader? Learn how to be a follower first.

Geno is following and learning from a group of men who already know how to lead and win (Bowles as a player, Gailey as a coach). He's also learning how to command respect on the field as a QB by watching Fitzpatrick right now. We dont know what type of leadership qualities Geno could have because the Jets were being ran by a room full of morons. 

How do you expect your QB to understand how to accept winning and losing when his own HC (Rex) didnt know how to accept winning and losing. Todd Bowles understands this. We lost to the Pats and you know what happened? On to Oakland. If we would have beaten the Pats you know what Bowles would have said? On to Oakland.

Leaders arent easily made in some kitchen, you have to have examples of leadership to draw from. Look at how well Pryor is playing, you know...the guy who was a "bust" and everyone knew that he would amount to nothing, just like Geno. Look at how well he's played this year having leaders like Revis and Cro with good work ethic, having a guy at Safety in Gilchrist that he can rely on, having a coach in Todd Bowles that won a Superbowl playing Safety. 

I dont think its too far fetch to think that Geno can produce for a OC that has had virtually every QB who's ever played for him overachieve along with a vet that knows the system and is one of those overachieving examples. 

You learn how to be a leader, but students are a direct reflection of their teachers. Im still waiting to find out who Rex Ryan and crew ever developed on offense. 

Some of this I agree with, but some of it I just think you either have leadership ability or you do not. I think you can grow as a leader, and get better, but I am not sure I have ever seen someone who had no leadership ability whatsoever turn into a leader. From what I have seen from Geno, he just does not have it and never will. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and those are not generally considered good leader qualities. IF you can back it up and then some, you can pull it off to an extent, but usually you need to prove it first before you can get away with that. The fact that he comes off like that without ever doing anything even remotely close to proving it, is why I don't think he has it. 

I do agree with you that Rex and crew were probably the absolute worst coaching staff that any QB ever had, or at least among the worst ever.

Some of this I agree with, but some of it I just think you either have leadership ability or you do not. I think you can grow as a leader, and get better, but I am not sure I have ever seen someone who had no leadership ability whatsoever turn into a leader. From what I have seen from Geno, he just does not have it and never will. He comes across as an arrogant prick, and those are not generally considered good leader qualities. IF you can back it up and then some, you can pull it off to an extent, but usually you need to prove it first before you can get away with that. The fact that he comes off like that without ever doing anything even remotely close to proving it, is why I don't think he has it. 

I do agree with you that Rex and crew were probably the absolute worst coaching staff that any QB ever had, or at least among the worst ever.

You dont know Geno Smith, neither do I. We dont know what this man is capable of accomplishing. 

Of course not, I am stating my opinions based on what I have seen over close to 3 years and what I have read or not read come from players.

And im saying that opinions based on what you've seen over 2 years (or read/not read from players) is a reflection of his time with that coaching staff. We dont know what Geno can do with a new group of coaches bringing in a different culture, a #1 WR, a revamped Oline and the #1 defense in the league.  It seems like its doing wonders for Fitzpatrick. He's projected to have his best season ever. 

Outside of leadership, which it isnt a requirement that the QB be the leader, talent wise, if Fitz can be on pace to throw for 4000 yards and 30 TD's then I feel like Geno wouldnt have a season he's had with much lesser talent both on the field and as a coaching staff/front office. 

so you unearthed an amazing insight that he plays better against the worse teams and worse against the better teams

call ESPN !!!!

lol

actually, if you are able to understand what the numbers mean you'll see that it shows exactly why fitz has never been the QB for a winning team, if a team gets an early lead on fitz he crumbles. not every QB is a frontrunner that falls apart when playing from behind. hell brian hoyer plays better when playing from behind

I was 100% in line with the group that's saying "Fitz is average, our ceiling with him is low, we need to see what we have in Geno with better talent around him" right up until the moment after he got punched. The fact that IK walked out of there spoke volumes to me. We see what the media shows/tells us, for the most part, but the guys in the locker room know the men they're playing with. If he's a guy worth fighting for, or even a guy worth playing with, at least a handful of the dozens of guys in the locker room have a problem with IK right there. I think a team has to feel that way about their QB.

Archived