Hate to see this: Brandon Marshall up to his old ways?

HighPitch

If you actually read or saw his comments, you would know this is actually quite the opposite -- Marshall was miffed at D. Smith for not getting his assignment right in lining up on the last play, which impacted Marshall getting set because he was trying to redirect Smith. Chicago press is trying to spin this into a "problem"  because Chicago is watching Marshall tear things up with the Jets and behave well. What a surprise.

If you actually read or saw his comments, you would know this is actually quite the opposite -- Marshall was miffed at D. Smith for not getting his assignment right in lining up on the last play, which impacted Marshall getting set because he was trying to redirect Smith. Chicago press is trying to spin this into a "problem"  because Chicago is watching Marshall tear things up with the Jets and behave well. What a surprise.

And apparently they literally made out for 30 minutes after the tussle.  Tongue and all.   So everyone is good. 

Hard to believe, he has always been such a good teammate and person

C'mon.  Just because you thought that our front office was clueless based on the Marshall trade and hate the guy doesn't mean non-stories like these are validating you.  He has a horrible past that cannot be changed, but you allowed that to seep into your opinion of him as a player.  He's the best receiver we've had in nearly 3 decades.

Sour grapes from a beat writer who covers the team that gave up a top 5 NFL receiver for a 5th round pick. 

Beat writers are morons, but the posters that post these stories without using an ounce of intelligence to vet the story are far worse. The author of the article doesn't deserve the clicks to his story so I will post the story here:

Apparently Brandon Marshall is back to his old ways.

It’s believed that part of the reason the star receiver was shipped out of Chicago after last season was because of his poor locker-room behavior.

Most notably, Marshall was reportedly involved in an arguing match with kicker Robbie Gould that escalated to the point where teammates had to step in.

Now with the New York Jets, Marshall admitted he again got into it with a teammate following the team’s 30-23 loss to New England on Sunday.

Via the New York Daily News:

“There’s a lot of testosterone,” Marshall said on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL”. “I mean you put so much into the week, you know you get disappointed and you get frustrated in those moments. This Sunday, I got into it with a teammate but we got in the locker room, we talked it out and we love each other.”

Marshall has 41 receptions for 578 yards and four touchdowns for the Jets this season.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/7/71/1050713/brandon-marshall-says-got-teammate-jets-loss

C'mon.  Just because you thought that our front office was clueless based on the Marshall trade and hate the guy doesn't mean non-stories like these are validating you.  He has a horrible past that cannot be changed, but you allowed that to seep into your opinion of him as a player.  He's the best receiver we've had in nearly 3 decades.

There I go again, judging people based on things they've done. lol classic dbatesman

There I go again, judging people based on things they've done. lol classic dbatesman

Based on what's been said, he got into it with Devin Smith for not lining up correctly, a classic rookie mistake that vets commonly give rookies sh*t about.  Seriously the guy has been a great teammate and is on pace for 1600 yards and 12 TD's.  You gotta be kidding me. 

Meanwhile ignoring things he's DOING.  I.E. being a good teammate and a great player.  Every successful NFL team in history has had a Ray Lewis, James Harrison or Brandon Marshall type on their team with bad histories.  It's not a good thing but it doesn't have to sap any enjoyment of watching those particular players make plays.

You aren't wrong about him having been a bad guy, and he still likely has a very dark side to him.  But you were wrong about him being an overrated player, and refuse to change your view of him one iota. 

Everyone is free to think what they want about Brandon Marshall. That said, this is some seriously shoddy journalism. I mean, that profession is almost dead, but still. And that is Chicago too. A place where even  a former NJ/NYer like me takes a second look at thier corruption. 

Meanwhile ignoring things he's DOING.  I.E. being a good teammate and a great player.  Every successful NFL team in history has had a Ray Lewis, James Harrison or Brandon Marshall type on their team with bad histories.  It's not a good thing but it doesn't have to sap any enjoyment of watching those particular players make plays.

You aren't wrong about him having been a bad guy, and he still likely has a very dark side to him.  But you were wrong about him being an overrated player, and refuse to change your view of him one iota.

I'm not changing my view because six games of decent production and a few butthurt posts from JN's self-appointed Positivity Ombudsman don't outweigh nearly a decade of statistical evidence. 

Hmm I can't think of a reason Chicago would be trying to make Marshall look bad it's not like he was on their team which is playing like sh*t this year and they let him go for pennies. If Fitzpatrick clogs the facility toilet Houston will be all over it.

I'm not changing my view because six games of decent production and a few butthurt posts from JN's self-appointed Positivity Ombudsman don't outweigh nearly a decade of statistical evidence. 

Jeez, way to make it personal.  Not sure in what universe 578 yards and 4 TD's in 6 games qualifies as merely "decent", but I'll let it drop.  You win this round, clearly.

I hear ya.  When Marshall does something wrong of substance be sure to bring the AK47 please.

How long have we both been posting here? And you think you're going to talk me into a player based on 6 games' worth of receiving yards?

Career ranks, DYAR (total value): 31st, 39th, 24th, 35th, 18th, 16th, 10th, 46th

Career ranks, DVOA (play-by-play value): 54th, 58th, 38th, 54th, 36th, 46th, 22nd, 48th

Career catch rate: 60%, 57%, 66%, 59%, 57%, 61%, 61%, 58%

So far this year he's at 17th, 24th, and 68% (in other words: decent) and unless he's become a completely different player in his age-31 season, I fully expect that last number to regress (given his 4/7 in the Patriots game, it may well be regressing already).

As for the things he's DOING, all I can tell you is every excited, forgiving, enthusiastic, and hopeful word written about Marshall here is a carbon copy of something Bears fans said in October 2012. So yes, I will keep the AK-47 handy for when Marshall goes for < 50 yards in a loss to some bum-ass team and decides to take a swing at Folk in the locker room.

Archived