Mel Kiper : Leonard Williams 2nd Best Rookie this Year ~ ~ ~

kelly

There are three things I look out for in relation to the draft. Big Boards, Mock Drafts and Rookie Rankings. It's all 100% opinion based of course, and a lot of the work is based on speculation. Mel Kiper loved the Jets pick of Leonard Williams at the time, and with his rookie season nearing an end, that opinion hasn't changed.

Kiper released his top 25 rookies from the 2015 draft class. He bases his opinion on the entire body of work over the course of the season. He puts emphasis on snap counts, positional value and whether the player would be a starter on most teams or a good team.

He ranks Leonard Williams as the 2nd best rookie in the class so far, only trailing Buffalo Bills CB Ronald Darby.

2. Leonard Williams, DE New York Jets

Don't look at his sack total and assume Williams hasn't been a big cause for the disruption the Jets have created. His ability to work inside has freed up Muhammad Wilkerson and others, and his work against the run remains strong.

Williams has been outstanding against the run and his pass-rush has continued to come on as the season has progressed. Although he's only credited with 2.5 sacks on the season and 47 tackles, he has had back-to-back games with a sack. I don't think it's a coincidence that with Williams on board, Muhammad Wilkerson is enjoying the most productive season of his career. Although I'm sure him being in a contract year doesn't hurt.

Leonard does a lot of the dirty work inside, plugging the lanes and occupying blockers to allow linebackers a clean shot at the ball carrier. The Jets have one of the best defenses in the league and the best rushing defense in the entire NFL. The selection of Williams is looking better and better.

>   http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/12/18/10546524/mel-kiper-leonard-williams-2nd-best-rookie-this-year

There are three things I look out for in relation to the draft. Big Boards, Mock Drafts and Rookie Rankings. It's all 100% opinion based of course, and a lot of the work is based on speculation. Mel Kiper loved the Jets pick of Leonard Williams at the time, and with his rookie season nearing an end, that opinion hasn't changed.

Kiper released his top 25 rookies from the 2015 draft class. He bases his opinion on the entire body of work over the course of the season. He puts emphasis on snap counts, positional value and whether the player would be a starter on most teams or a good team.

He ranks Leonard Williams as the 2nd best rookie in the class so far, only trailing Buffalo Bills CB Ronald Darby.

Williams has been outstanding against the run and his pass-rush has continued to come on as the season has progressed. Although he's only credited with 2.5 sacks on the season and 47 tackles, he has had back-to-back games with a sack. I don't think it's a coincidence that with Williams on board, Muhammad Wilkerson is enjoying the most productive season of his career. Although I'm sure him being in a contract year doesn't hurt.

Leonard does a lot of the dirty work inside, plugging the lanes and occupying blockers to allow linebackers a clean shot at the ball carrier. The Jets have one of the best defenses in the league and the best rushing defense in the entire NFL. The selection of Williams is looking better and better.

>   http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/12/18/10546524/mel-kiper-leonard-williams-2nd-best-rookie-this-year

Don't tell that to some of the geniuses on this board...   To them he is a borderline bust because he doesn't have 10 sacks.

The kid is a beast.  Completely dissruptive.  His snack numbers arent high but what rookies are?  Sack masters Vic Beasley, Shane Ray and Bud Dupree arent getting a ton of sacks and they play a different position made to rush the passer.  They dont have to play the run.  Dupree has 4, Beasley 3 and Ray 3.  Williams has 2.5 from a more difficult position to get to the QB and he has to play the run.  Plus, those guys have played more snaps and Williams has been finger tips away more than handful of times.  He'll start getting there more often as he matures. 

Williams is going to be a force in this league for a long time.  The Jets are lucky to have him but meaningless wins or something something something. 

The kid is a beast.  Completely dissruptive.  His snack numbers arent high but what rookies are?  Sack masters Vic Beasley, Shane Ray and Bud Dupree arent getting a ton of sacks and they play a different position made to rush the passer.  They dont have to play the run.  Dupree has 4, Beasley 3 and Ray 3.  Williams has 2.5 from a more difficult position to get to the QB and he has to play the run.  Plus, those guys have played more snaps and Williams has been finger tips away more than handful of times.  He'll start getting there more often as he matures. 

Williams is going to be a force in this league for a long time.  The Jets are lucky to have him but meaningless wins or something something something. 

I'd still take Amari Cooper.

Well I tell ya, I knew this kid of ours was pretty damn good and he has shown he's the best rookie in the league.  That guy the Jets have is pretty darn good as well but not as good as our guy who I'd put up against #24 on their team, he's been that good.  This is just the start for this young man, if he isn't going to the pro bowl this year then something is wrong I'll tell ya.

I'd still take Amari Cooper.

Meh, WR's are a dime a dozen these days, unless we're talking OBJ.  The Jets are just terrible at drafting them.

And Cooper is coming back down to earth as teams have figured him out.  He's had 1 good game in the past 7.  Crabtree has been better. 

I like Marshall and Decker a hell of a lot more. 

Well I tell ya, I knew this kid of ours was pretty damn good and he has shown he's the best rookie in the league.  That guy the Jets have is pretty darn good as well but not as good as our guy who I'd put up against #24 on their team, he's been that good.  This is just the start for this young man, if he isn't going to the pro bowl this year then something is wrong I'll tell ya.

It's interesting that he's being rated so high.  I wonder what the PFF #'s are on him...but it would be surprising if they're great considering how bad the Bills have been vs. the pass.

Meh, WR's are a dime a dozen these days, unless we're talking OBJ.  The Jets are just terrible at drafting them.

And Cooper is coming back down to earth as teams have figured him out.  He's had 1 good game in the past 7.  Crabtree has been better. 

I like Marshall and Decker a hell of a lot more. 

Both drafted by the Bronco's  Marshall in the 4th and Decker in the 3rd..:)

Only real men play on the inside in the NFL. Except our guy Leo is still a young pup & he'll only be 22 years old next year! That sh*ts crazy when you realize this is his 1st OFFSEASON coming up & he'll be training & working out in the NFL offseason workout program. Coming in next year just honing his craft under the same coaching staff he'll probably take a huge step out of the gate.

He looks top tier in snacks.  Errr, I should know.  Best thing about this kid is he is still a freaking baby.  He will only get stronger and better.  Going to keep the Jets run defense in the top 5 for 10 years.  I know it's a run league. So shut up.

He looks top tier in snacks.  Errr, I should know.  Best thing about this kid is he is still a freaking baby.  He will only get stronger and better.  Going to keep the Jets run defense in the top 5 for 10 years.  I know it's a run league. So shut up.

Yeah, he's only going to get stronger and faster.  The game doesnt seem to fast for him but you know he's still thinking out there.  Once he just starts playing.  LOOK OUT!!!

Did Peters from KC fall off that badly?  I thought he was the front runner to be honest.

Peters 55 comb tackles, 24 pass defended, 5 ints, 1 FF

Darby 57 comb tackles, 23 passes defended, 2 ints, 0 FF

Peters has the edge statistically (although he's given up more yardage and 3 more touchdowns) and Darby has the advantage when it comes to analytics. Sexy stats like interceptions can sway people, though. 

Maybe, probably not.  The Marshall pick up, along with Decker proves how easy it is to find a WR.  

Pointless, we didn't have an option to pick Cooper 

Not pointless, because it was in response to a comment about "meaningless wins" effecting our draft position.

Archived