MVP watch.. FitzMagic for MVP ? ? ?

kelly

The most valuable player is the best player. 

Nah it isn't Mick.  The Jets are perefect to prove that.  Marshall is the best player on this team right now.  Fitz is the MVP.

Fitz affects several players.  Marshall, Decker, Powell, the whole OL as quick as he's getting rid of the ball.  He fires the whole team up by getting a busted nose.  He's very valuable to THIS team.

Bellichik gambled that Fitz couldn't carry  this team in OT.  He was wrong.  It made the genius look stupid.   The back to back throw's  to Marshall, then the TD to Decker, were really great clutch throws. 

If I had a vote, it'd go to Carson Palmer.

It's usually a QB, due to the nature of the position being the most valuable to every team, but this year has seen a lot of movement among the previous top QBs. Manning injured / aging; Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Rivers and Brees playing on teams that for various reasons just aren't getting it done (plus some injuries).

Palmer, Brady, Newton, Dalton and Wilson are the top 5, IMHO ... you could argue that Dalton deserves a lot of consideration, look how his team have done without him. Seattle are doing well now, but struggled early, which probably hurts Wilson a bit.

Marshall is top 5 but not the best. 

If a player isn't the best at his position how can he be the best in the NFL? 

Makes no difference if we're talking MVP.  To me it's who does the most for his team.  Not the same as best player in the league.  I know that's debated 

Marshalls play has been and is as good as anyone at the position this year.

You can't be serious? Fitz for MVP?

It's Cam, Palmer or Brady, no one else is even in the discussion.

Hell, Kirk Cousins is more "in the conversation" than Fitz.

I see what you're saying here with this statement and I do see your point, but we both know that Kirk isnt in the convo (in comparison to Fitz) based simply on their record. Now dont get me wrong, I dont think Fitz is in the MVP convo, but Kirk certainly isnt in that convo if Fitz isnt in it. 

Kirk however has been great at QB since late October. Since then he's thrown 20 TD's and just 3 INT's. 

But lets be serious here, The NFC East is the NFC's version of the AFC south. The only reason why they're going to the playoffs is because that division sucks major balls. Outside of stats its about "the moment" and Fitzpatrick during this 6 game winning streak if im correct has like 3 game winning drives. Even I have to acknowledge what Fitz has done during that timespan as well. 

Kirk has had a very good season personally and saved the Redskins from another disappointing 

Ummmm, Cousins has already won a division title.

Fitz hasn't backed into a 6th playoff spot yet.

See the difference?

No unless you're dumb enough to think the two teams are the Fitzs & the Cousins.  

Or that their divisions are equal.

Using this asinine logic Fitz is much better.  Head to head he beat Cousins.  

This. I'm loving Fitzy right now, and he's clearly been a big reason for the team's success this year, but he's not having a league MVP-type of season. 

Funny how Cam Newton is such a shoe in to most people and his stats are very similar to Fitzpatrick . Fitz came to a team that has not had a QB for years and played extremely well for a so called "first year on the team journeyman". Also lets not kid ourselves the MVP award has always been about stats .

When Cam Newton rushes the ball into a crowd getting hammered its a wonderful thing, oh how great he is ....When Fitz does it OMG he needs to stop that he's an idiot.

Cam runs the ball much more than Fitz does and QB rushing yards can be attributed to the defense being cleared out they don't really mean much especially when it comes down to playing great defenses in the playoffs. While Cam does run a lot I bet you can make a case Fitz has a better average of clutch runs in big time situations. Of course that's not to say Fitz is a better runner that would be stupid but the fact is Fitz gets it done when he needs too.

Not interested in the bullsh*t story that Cam Has no WR's because if you watch the Panthers they are running wide open a good percentage of the time. They are not nearly as bad as advertized

And last but not least If Cam Newton had Fitz exact stats he would still be the frontrunner for the MVP. Funny how that works because their stats are very close right now.

Ryan Fitzpatrick’s magical season might have been a longshot, but there’s no denying he deserves NFL MVP consideration with the Jets on the precipice of a playoff berth.

He is the improbable engine of a team that nobody, including the reigning Super Bowl champions, wants to face in January. He is the unlikeliest of MVP candidates, marginalized for the better part of a decade before awakening with the year of his life.“He’s been amazing for us,” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said the day after Fitzpatrick’s three-touchdown performance buoyed the Jets in a 26-20 overtime thriller against the Patriots on Sunday.Fitzpatrick plays smart and sometimes ugly. He has won over his teammates even if others still don’t believe. He won’t give them the finger, even though he should. He’s too damn nice.

Cam Newton and Carson Palmer are justifiably the MVP front-runners entering the final week of the regular season, but Fitzpatrick has elevated his play to new heights during the Jets’ five-game winning streak that has them facing a win-and-in playoff scenario against Rex Ryan’s Bills on Sunday.Fitzpatrick’s sizzling five-game stretch has vaulted him into the MVP conversation. He is a Top 3 MVP candidate, behind Newton and Palmer, but ahead of Tom Brady and Russell Wilson.

Ryan Fitzpatrick's numbers (3,724 passing yards, 31 total touchdowns (29 passing and two rushing) and 12 interceptions) may not be the best, but he has certainly earned MVP consideration.

Fitzpatrick has more passing yards (1,525) in the past five games than each of those four MVP candidates. Only Wilson has more touchdown passes than Fitzpatrick’s 13 during that span.Although Fitzpatrick’s numbers across the board in his 14 full games — 3,724 passing yards, 31 total touchdowns (29 passing and two rushing) and 12 interceptions — rank below the others, nobody is more important to his team right now.

Brady has had a better overall statistical season (4,636 passing yards, 39 total TDs, 7 INTs), but there’s no denying the Patriots have shown cracks since Thanksgiving. The 10-5 Jets are getting better. The Patriots, 3-2 in their last five games, are not.

“The guys around me have been playing great,” Fitzpatrick said.

Brandon Marshall re-established himself as one of the most feared receivers in aturn-back-the-clock season that earned him a Pro Bowl appearance. Eric Decker proved that he’s far from a Peyton Manning creation. Chis Ivory and Bilal Powell is an unappreciated — but productive — backfield tandem.

Fitzpatrick has blended all those pieces to create magic in such a short period of time, which is the most intriguing component to his MVP candidacy. He has done it all so quickly with a new team. While Newton, Palmer, Brady and Wilson have had familiar pieces around them, Fitzpatrick didn’t even participate in a full practice with the Jets’ first-team offense until 48 hours before the first preseason game. That’s ridiculous.The journeyman was limited this spring while recovering from a broken leg suffered with the Texans last December. He took his first 11-on-11 practice snaps (with the backups) on May 27 during the fifth of 10 Organized Team Activities sessions.Fitzpatrick split backup practice reps with rookie Bryce Petty during the team’s three-day minicamp in June. He took second-team snaps for the first 10 practices in training camp before starter Geno Smith broke his jaw in a locker room fight in August that changed the course of the franchise.  

Fitzpatrick started working full time with Marshall, Decker and the rest of the first-team offense on Aug. 11, two days before the preseason opener against the Lions. He accelerated the learning curve and put the Jets on a playoff track in four-and-a-half months, which is absurd when you think about it.He stabilized the offense before taking it to another level in December. His knack for clutch plays in critical moments has made all the difference. His leadership is immeasurable.He’s far from the reckless gunslinger that people remember from his four seasons in Buffalo.

“I’m a much smarter player,” said Fitzpatrick, who went 20-33 as a starter with 80 touchdowns and 64 INTs with the Bills from 2009-2012. “I think I understand my game better. I’m a much more patient quarterback. There’s been a tremendous amount of growth for me.”His past has shaped perception this season. How could Ryan Fitzpatrick, of all people, be a legitimate MVP candidate?I t’s impossible to ignore the evidence, though. Fitzpatrick has tied the single-season franchise record for touchdown passes. He is 284 yards from breaking Joe Namath’s team record for passing yards in a season.He is making one unfathomable play after another in the fourth quarter and overtime to lift his new team. He is making the improbable feel probable.

He is playing every bit like the league MVP.

>      http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-jets-ryan-fitzpatrick-belongs-mvp-race-article-1.2479234

I was going to make some snarky observation that Brandon Marshall is averaging an insane YAC number, but then I looked at the fact that he's less than 200 yards from having his most successful season ever, and already has his most TD's in a season. 

Decker and Ivory are all coming up on career numbers. 

These guys have all played with top 5 quarterbacks in their best years too. 

It's one thing when a guy is having a career season. But it's quite another when the guys around him are all having career seasons. 

Couple that with Fitz being out a game this year and almost having 4000 yards anyway with a 2:1 TD/interception ratio and I really think you have to admit, if this team gets a decisive win next week and hits a couple key numbers offensively, Fitz definitely has a shot.

Ummm, Jet MVP, definitely....But no way Fitzy is NFL MVP....

Unless we're winning Super Bowl 50, then, definitely YES

Yeah but the votes for MVP go in before the SB and playoffs I believe.

Lets say Fitz throws for 300 and 4 td's sunday vs the bills

That would give him 33 Td's and 12 Int's plus he would have broken numerous Jets QB records and his stats would be right there with the other MVP candidates and he did this missing 1 full game while playing a good portion of the year with a torn ligament in his left hand yet still has minimal turnovers/fumbles ... His numbers and wins on a team that was NOT supposed to even be in the playoff discussion should count for something because the Pats Cardinals and Panthers were all in the playoff discussion before the year started and Cam newton a guy with very similar stats to Fitz is supposed to be a shoe in ...Really ?

Yeah but the votes for MVP go in before the SB and playoffs I believe.

Lets say Fitz throws for 300 and 4 td's sunday vs the bills

That would give him 33 Td's and 12 Int's plus he would have broken numerous Jets QB records and his stats would be right there with the other MVP candidates and he did this missing 1 full game while playing a good portion of the year with a torn ligament in his left hand yet still has minimal turnovers/fumbles ... His numbers and wins on a team that was NOT supposed to even be in the playoff discussion should count for something because the Pats Cardinals and Panthers were all in the playoff discussion before the year started and Cam newton a guy with very similar stats to Fitz is supposed to be a shoe in ...Really ?

Sign me up!

I was going to make some snarky observation that Brandon Marshall is averaging an insane YAC number, but then I looked at the fact that he's less than 200 yards from having his most successful season ever, and already has his most TD's in a season. 

Decker and Ivory are all coming up on career numbers. 

These guys have all played with top 5 quarterbacks in their best years too. 

It's one thing when a guy is having a career season. But it's quite another when the guys around him are all having career seasons. 

Couple that with Fitz being out a game this year and almost having 4000 yards anyway with a 2:1 TD/interception ratio and I really think you have to admit, if this team gets a decisive win next week and hits a couple key numbers offensively, Fitz definitely has a shot.

As much as I can post or push for Fitz to even be in the MVP discussion.... he wont be He simply does not have the Flair of a Cam Newton or the history of a Tom Brady and that's what it comes down too. If I remember correctly when the season started the Jets were in the bottom 5 of the NFL rankings how is it a guy like Fitz pulled that off ? I guarantee you if any of those other guys in the MVP discussion were QB's of the Jets meaning Cam Tom Carson they would be all over them for MVP based on how bad the Jets were projected to be.

As much as I can post or push for Fitz to even be in the MVP discussion.... he wont be He simply does not have the Flair of a Cam Newton or the history of a Tom Brady and that's what it comes down too. If I remember correctly when the season started the Jets were in the bottom 5 of the NFL rankings how is it a guy like Fitz pulled that off ? I guarantee you if any of those other guys in the MVP discussion were QB's of the Jets meaning Cam Tom Carson they would be all over them for MVP based on how bad the Jets were projected to be.

exactly.  He may or may not be the most deserving player, but the fact that he's a Jet means that his performance has to be historical to get the nod

'is the fact that you vote for one person for each award. So there’s no nuance, no credit to several players when it’s very close for first place. But that’s the way it’s been. All or nothing.'

This guy would have loved Soviet Russia: One Party but lots of winners!

That year, Brady was hurt. Favre was costing us a playoff berth. Rodgers was a first year starter. Brees was dominant, but on an 8-8 team. Warner was the QB of "the worst division champion of all-time". Ben had a down year statistically. Tomlinson was slowing down. AP had yet to fully become what he turned into.

It was a weird year. The AFC's number one seed was QBed by Kerry Effing Collins. Peyton won by default. Chad got votes because of narrative and who else is there?

Not the case this year with Cam, Palmer, and to a lesser extent Brady. Not to mention the ever present JJ Watt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what does that have to do with anything?  Someone has to win the award. 

chad was going to place high off of the job he did.  

Fitz definitely isn't winning the MVP, but he's having a hell of a season.  Perhaps more likely is I think him and Marshall are very possibly the top 2 contenders for CPOY, especially if you don't consider AP's return from a suspension as qualifying.

I think FitzMagic is a legit comeback player of the year candidate although most I have talked to are talking about Eric Berry winning that award.

I think when you look at Fitz's age (33), the injury he has come back from, what he has accomplished this year and what he means to this team, I think FitzMagic is a LEGIT comeback player of the year candidate. If it was up to me it would be between FitzMagic and Carson Palmer.

Eric Berry has definitely comeback to play at a high level through shear hell to get here - but he is a safety.

Just because of the position Berry plays, I would put Palmer & FitzMagic in front of him for comeback player of the year consideration. I think it's a more impressive accomplishment to comeback and cement yourself as a LEGIT starting QB then it is to be a starting safety.

Just my 2 cents.

I think FitzMagic is a legit comeback player of the year candidate although most I have talked to are talking about Eric Berry winning that award.

I think when you look at Fitz's age (33), the injury he has come back from, what he has accomplished this year and what he means to this team, I think FitzMagic is a LEGIT comeback player of the year candidate. If it was up to me it would be between FitzMagic and Carson Palmer.

Eric Berry has definitely comeback to play at a high level through shear hell to get here - but he is a safety.

Just because of the position Berry plays, I would put Palmer & FitzMagic in front of him for comeback player of the year consideration. I think it's a more impressive accomplishment to comeback and cement yourself as a LEGIT starting QB then it is to be a starting safety.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I totally forgot about Berry and there's a very good chance he takes it.  I get what you're saying about the position and I don't think most would disagree, but I think that would be much more of a matter of what Berry is coming back from, rather than the position he plays.  You really can't argue that what Berry had to deal with is much more significant than an overage football "comeback", so I actually think it would be very understanding if he takes the award.  That said, under different circumstances I would certainly see the Jets' guys as top picks.

what does that have to do with anything?  Someone has to win the award. 

chad was going to place high off of the job he did.  

The post I quoted used Pennington's second place finish as an precedent for considering Fitz a legitimate MVP candidate. The point that sailed over your head is that there were not very many legitimate MVP candidates in 2008. That is not the case this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been by far Fitz's best year.  I think the fact that he has been the best protected QB in the NFL this year (kudos to the OL) and he has two above average wide receivers has helped him a lot.   Jets have been one of the easiest teams to QB for this year. It has been more of a team QB effort.  These players staying healthy has also been beneficiary.

Nah it isn't Mick.  The Jets are perefect to prove that.  Marshall is the best player on this team right now.  Fitz is the MVP.

Fitz affects several players.  Marshall, Decker, Powell, the whole OL as quick as he's getting rid of the ball.  He fires the whole team up by getting a busted nose.  He's very valuable to THIS team.

Bellichik gambled that Fitz couldn't carry  this team in OT.  He was wrong.  It made the genius look stupid.   The back to back throw's  to Marshall, then the TD to Decker, were really great clutch throws. 

That throw to Marshall while rolling to his left and throwing across his body was amazing. Obviously its never advised to throw across your body but that throw was one of the best I have seen from any QB all season and to follow it with a perfect touch pass to Decker in the corner was just phenomenal.

MVP and The Chad Pennington Comeback POY Award are not in play for Fitz, but I hope he can at least be a Pro Bowl alternate. Is this possible at this point?

you know what 80 starting this season the Jets were not even on the radar of most of the sportswriters that vote for the MVP award. Fitz has done something here that was never expected and he has done it at an elite level. Of course he can't truly be considered elite until he strings about 2 or 3 more of these type seasons together but you could easily make the argument the Jets were not in the same discussion as the Cards, Pats, or the Panthers yet Fitz leads them to a winning record hopefully 11-5 and a playoff berth along with being one of the hottest teams in the NFL the last 5 or 6 weeks. The numbers of those other QB's are right where Fitz numbers are there is no clear cut dominant difference between any of those guys so why is Fitz pushed aside ? For that matter why is Russell Wilson not in the conversation either ?? Its just really dumb how the NFL hands out that award its like they always look at stats rather than circumstance. Tom Brady and Cam Newton have been on the same team and same systems for years both very good teams. Fitz steps into a system he knows but the team is just learning and was a big part of the learning process and succeeds in a big time way. I can easily argue the fact that what Fitz is doing is much more difficult to pull off than what Cam and Brady are doing in a familiar setting. I know why Fitz wont be in the conversation I just think it stinks .

Archived