2016 Mets Thread!

adb280z

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cabrera commented after the game that he should be good for tomorrow night -- no confirmation from the team, though.  And with Flores coming back, we should be better off than we were the past few days.  Although I do agree that we could use another utility infielder, especially with Duda going down.  Another deal with Atlanta for Kelly Johnson, perhaps?

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Cabrera commented after the game that he should be good for tomorrow night -- no confirmation from the team, though.  And with Flores coming back, we should be better off than we were the past few days.  Although I do agree that we could use another utility infielder, especially with Duda going down.  Another deal with Atlanta for Kelly Johnson, perhaps?

Kelly Johnson would be a good acquisition. 

Julio Urias, 19, will make his major league debut with the Dodgers on Friday in New York VS Mets. He did not allow a run in his last 26 inning in the hitter friendly PCL....the Dodgers AAA affiliate. He was promoted to LA with an overall 1.10 ERA. He has a mid-nineties fastball., a Wipe out knee buckling curve ball and fading deceptive change up. He has the ability to change eye levels, add and subtract velo on all his pitches and keep the ball out of the middle of the plate. He has the poise and composure of a 10-year veteran and was considered the best left-handed pitching prospect in minor league baseball. The only question left is how the teenager will handle the pressure of making his major league debut in New York City against the defending NL Champs New York Mets in a close to sold out CitiField and millions of people watching on TV. Most scouting reports say he can handle the pressure......We'll soon find out.

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Getting pumped to see Thor tomorrow!!!!

Should I wear a Thor helmet or bring a hammer? 

90 degrees too hot for a helmet- hah Nice where you staying this visit up here?

16 minutes ago, faba said:

90 degrees too hot for a helmet- hah Nice where you staying this visit up here?

CJ is living in Jersey City these days.  I'm going up to visit her for the long weekend and catching the game.  Good thing it's a night game!  It's hotter up there, than it is down here!

Any suggestions on something to do Monday for the Holiday?  It's the only day we dont have something planned. 

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

CJ is living in Jersey City these days.  I'm going up to visit her for the long weekend and catching the game.  Good thing it's a night game!  It's hotter up there, than it is down here!

Any suggestions on something to do Monday for the Holiday?  It's the only day we dont have something planned. 

Well it is Memorial day- Fleet week all ships in the harbor Inteprid also you can visit

18 hours ago, faba said:

Julio Urias, 19, will make his major league debut with the Dodgers on Friday in New York VS Mets. He did not allow a run in his last 26 inning in the hitter friendly PCL....the Dodgers AAA affiliate. He was promoted to LA with an overall 1.10 ERA. He has a mid-nineties fastball., a Wipe out knee buckling curve ball and fading deceptive change up. He has the ability to change eye levels, add and subtract velo on all his pitches and keep the ball out of the middle of the plate. He has the poise and composure of a 10-year veteran and was considered the best left-handed pitching prospect in minor league baseball. The only question left is how the teenager will handle the pressure of making his major league debut in New York City against the defending NL Champs New York Mets in a close to sold out CitiField and millions of people watching on TV. Most scouting reports say he can handle the pressure......We'll soon find out.

Let's kick this teenagers ASS tonite !!!!!!!

The Mets have scrapped the idea of trying Michael Conforto out at first base.

They kicked the idea around with Lucas Duda (back) slated to miss significant time but have ultimately decided against it. "Right now Michael has a lot on his plate and I don't need to add more to it," manager Terry Collins said.

bad news mets fans.

I am a sports jinx.  the only two teams I care about are the jets and knicks, the only NYC area teams not to win a championship since I started following sports in 1981 (nets don't count, lol)

I also became huge fan of akeem in 1982, I lived and died with every game in the tourney, and then he loses back to back title games

I have no baseball team.  I got game 7 world series tickets through work in 2002 after game 1 of the Angels series.  I called my buddy and yelled into the phone "the yankeeeess wiiiiin" of course the angles won 3 in a row and eliminated the yankees

so a guy at work has been telling me I have to check out thor.  I must admit I have a bit of a crush and plan on watching his start saturday.  I really don't want to be a jets/mets fan, but this thor guy is so good !

1 hour ago, Larz said:

bad news mets fans.

I am a sports jinx.  the only two teams I care about are the jets and knicks, the only NYC area teams not to win a championship since I started following sports in 1981 (nets don't count, lol)

I also became huge fan of akeem in 1982, I lived and died with every game in the tourney, and then he loses back to back title games

I have no baseball team.  I got game 7 world series tickets through work in 2002 after game 1 of the Angels series.  I called my buddy and yelled into the phone "the yankeeeess wiiiiin" of course the angles won 3 in a row and eliminated the yankees

so a guy at work has been telling me I have to check out thor.  I must admit I have a bit of a crush and plan on watching his start saturday.  I really don't want to be a jets/mets fan, but this thor guy is so good !

Thanks a lot.  See what you almost did to us tonight -- blowing the 4 run lead in the 9th.  On the other had, we moved into first place after the Grandy homer, so maybe you can stick around a while.

Trapped in a hotel in Ecuador for the evening, I wound up watching on my iPad. Two of my best friends were at the game, and when Utley hit that ball I started cursing them out over iMessage, blaming it all on them because that's what friends are for, right?

I got back a string of the most confused texts ever. They had no idea what I was talking about and were celebrating the win on their way to the LIRR. 

Then Granderson hit that ball.

Turns out I was watching on about a 10 minute delay.

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Trapped in a hotel in Ecuador for the evening, I wound up watching on my iPad. Two of my best friends were at the game, and when Utley hit that ball I started cursing them out over iMessage, blaming it all on them because that's what friends are for, right?

I got back a string of the most confused texts ever. They had no idea what I was talking about and were celebrating the win on their way to the LIRR. 

Then Granderson hit that ball.

Turns out I was watching on about a 10 minute delay.

That was a brutal 9th inning. On the plus side, deGrom looked almost like his old self, which would be HUGE! The Granderson HR was awesome!! I thought for sure they were losing that game last night.

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

That was a brutal 9th inning. On the plus side, deGrom looked almost like his old self, which would be HUGE! The Granderson HR was awesome!! I thought for sure they were losing that game last night.

Same. Utley of all people hitting that ball looked like it was going to be a classic Mets moment. But I think we forget that this is the same team as last year plus and minus only a couple pieces, and that team always found ways to make sure those moments didn't happen when they really mattered. 

2 hours ago, BowlesMovement said:

Yup.  7 IP, 3 H, 1 ER for deGrom and he gets no decision.  Familia goes 1 IP, 4H, 4 ER and gets teh W thanks to Grandy.  But that's baseball, and that's what good teams do, when one guy doesn't get it done, someone picks him up.

Really encouraged by deGrom's start last night.  After working out of the bases loaded no outs spot in the 3rd with just the one run, he was lights out the rest of the way.

15 hours ago, Lith said:

Thanks a lot.  See what you almost did to us tonight -- blowing the 4 run lead in the 9th.  On the other had, we moved into first place after the Grandy homer, so maybe you can stick around a while.

It's not official until my heart is in it.  Trying to watch Thor today 

The Mets have acquired first baseman James Loney, reports ESPN New York's Adam Rubin

Loney, who was with the Padres organization, had an opt-out in his contract that allowed him to leave for another team if he was offered a major league contract. 

Rubin earlier reported the Mets had been looking at outside options for first base as Lucas Duda was placed on the disabled list Monday with a stress fracture in his back. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported Friday that the Mets had scouted Loney

In Triple-A this season, Loney hit .342 with a .373 OBP and .424 SLG in 43 games. Loney has a .285 average and a .338 OBP over 10 major league seasons while playing with the Dodgers, Rays and Red Sox.  

1 hour ago, faba said:

The Mets have acquired first baseman James Loney, reports ESPN New York's Adam Rubin

Loney, who was with the Padres organization, had an opt-out in his contract that allowed him to leave for another team if he was offered a major league contract. 

Rubin earlier reported the Mets had been looking at outside options for first base as Lucas Duda was placed on the disabled list Monday with a stress fracture in his back. Ken Rosenthal of Fox Sports reported Friday that the Mets had scouted Loney

In Triple-A this season, Loney hit .342 with a .373 OBP and .424 SLG in 43 games. Loney has a .285 average and a .338 OBP over 10 major league seasons while playing with the Dodgers, Rays and Red Sox.  

Cant be any worse than Campbell, thats for sure.

Loney for cash was a no-brainer. Zero risk/all reward move. It'll be interesting to see what this means for Campbell, because even when Wilmer comes back they don't have anyone on the roster that's even an average defensive 3B after Campbell. The problem is playing him relegates the offense to a 7-man lineup.

Pick your poison. I'm thinking that Reynolds and Kelly are the odd men out. I was really hoping for a LH hitting guy that could play 3rd also to further the platooning options.

Campbell can play the outfield also and he runs well. I can live with him as the 25th guy. But it's tough when your Catchers are also batting below .200.

The bright side is you would think that Wilmer and Loney will hit over .200 as opposed to Reynolds/Kelly/Campbell :unsure:

I don't know why Loney was held in such disregard with the Rays in that they released him and ate his salary. He signed with the Padres who are weak offensively but wasn't called up. But it looks like a  real good signing, the Rays are basically paying his salary. Hate starting Campbell at 1st the guy is hitting .179. Also hate seeing Utley having a Chipper Jones type of series. He even indirectly got our best pitcher thrown out. 

9 hours ago, JiF said:

Couldn't have picked a worse game to attend.  And I spent good money to watch Thor.

Yeah sorry about that- I know the feeling me and my friend shelled out big money to see Tom Glavine melt down last game of the season in the first inning that mets needed to win some 6 or 7 years ago- memory is fuzzy 

49 minutes ago, faba said:

Yeah sorry about that- I know the feeling me and my friend shelled out big money to see Tom Glavine melt down last game of the season in the first inning that mets needed to win some 6 or 7 years ago- memory is fuzzy 

10 hours ago, JiF said:

Couldn't have picked a worse game to attend.  And I spent good money to watch Thor.

Turned out to be a pretty awful night last night for the 86 celebration.

For me, it was the 86 World Series, Game 2 at Shea.  Gooden v Clemens.  Gooden gives up 6 runs in 5 innings and we go on to lose 9-3.  You wait all your life to hope for a chance to be in the stadium to see your team in the Series, and that was what I had to sit through.

Making it even worse, my wife (who I did not know at the time) who is not even a baseball fan, goes with her dad to one game in the series and she gets to game 6.  How is that fair???

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Turned out to be a pretty awful night last night for the 86 celebration.

For me, it was the 86 World Series, Game 2 at Shea.  Gooden v Clemens.  Gooden gives up 6 runs in 5 innings and we go on to lose 9-3.  You wait all your life to hope for a chance to be in the stadium to see your team in the Series, and that was what I had to sit through.

Making it even worse, my wife (who I did not know at the time) who is not even a baseball fan, goes with her dad to one game in the series and she gets to game 6.  How is that fair???

I was at Game 2 86 too, it was a very cold night, and Gooden got rocked like you said. I was 13, and I remember a foul ball came right to my father, he reached up and "caught" it with 2 other people having their hands on it, he was in the process of handing the ball over to me, and someone who still loosely had their hand on it, pulled him by the shoulder and ripped it out of his hand. My father went nuts and was about to get into a fight, security came and warned them they would both be ejected, so he sat back down. That was the 1st inning, and the game all went downhill from there. It was such a crappy night, becasue they also went down 2 games to 0, and I really thought the series was over.

Archived