Report: Colin Kaepernick does not want to play for Jets

Warfish

10 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry, I just don't agree.  Again, you guys might be right.  But if I'm making the decision?  I sign Kap and hope with coaching and scheme that we not only strike gold, but hit the mother-lode.  I still can't believe so many guys think Fitz has more to give.  I don't.

I don't think Fitz can get much better than what he did last year.  But last year's performance was pretty damn good.  Call me crazy but if he plays at his best and we make good decisions with the roster, we're a contender.  Kaep has a higher ceiling because of his athletic ability, but that ceiling hasn't been on display for a while.  Meanwhile, his floor is reeeealllly low. 

You're enamored with 2012 Kaep, but if he never catches that lightning in the bottle again, then Fitz is clearly the better option.  And yes, I understand Fitz is not the best we should hope for.  Which is why I'm advocating taking the best possible QB in this year's draft in the hopes of solidifying our long-term future at the position.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

You guys are nuts.  Who are we putting out there next season?  Fitz?  Geno?  Petty?  All those guys have one thing in common: They have not played in one playoff game.

Yeah, I know Kap went into the tank after his Super Bowl performance.  But IMO he has all the tools to be a monster QB.  Maybe the tools in SF caused Kap to regress.  But I would give him a shot to be our QB in a heart beat.  If he bombs?  Fine, we're going nowhere with the QBs we have on the roster anyway.  But the upside is enormous.

Are you suggesting that a QB that wins 8 games and makes the playoffs has done a better job than a QB that won 10 games, but missed the playoffs due to a tiebreaker?

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Mark Sanchez has played in 6 postseason games.  Let's bring that guy back.

Are you advocating trading draft picks and allocating cap space we don't have to Kaep?  Because that's the only way this happens.  The 49ers will either trade him, wait to cut him on May 31, or keep him.

Just realized I meant "Mar 31" here.  Too late to edit.

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Sorry, I just don't agree.  Again, you guys might be right.  But if I'm making the decision?  I sign Kap and hope with coaching and scheme that we not only strike gold, but hit the mother-lode.  I still can't believe so many guys think Fitz has more to give.  I don't.

No way do I take on that contract that SanFran gave him. It would keep us from keeping some of our top talent elsewhere.  If Kaep didn't work out you basically set the franchise back for years.

The only way I'd take a chance on him is if he were a free agent, and they could sign him to a modest contract.  Otherwise let someone else take that risk.

3 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are you suggesting that a QB that wins 8 games and makes the playoffs has done a better job than a QB that won 10 games, but missed the playoffs due to a tiebreaker?

You mean 8 games plus a Tom Coughlin brainfart and a BB coinflop, and missed the playoffs due to an offensive no-show against a decimated Bills team.

16 minutes ago, jetrider said:

You mean 8 games plus a Tom Coughlin brainfart and a BB coinflop, and missed the playoffs due to an offensive no-show against a decimated Bills team.

Are you referring to the BB coinflop game when Fitz went 3 for 3 for 74  yards and a TD in OT? A game where Fitz threw for nearly 300 yards  with 3TDs, 0 INTs and 109.4 Qb Rating.  LMAO, great choice for a game that proves Fitz can't win. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He was traded to arrive here.  The big test is still to come:  Does he ink a new deal without trying to destroy our cap, like Pennington did purposely and Sanchez did somewhat accidentally?

I think we re-sign him, but that is beside the point for two reasons. One, he's said he wants to return to the Jets next year. Two, you seem to have missed the purpose of my post entirely.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I think we re-sign him, but that is beside the point for two reasons. One, he's said he wants to return to the Jets next year. Two, you seem to have missed the purpose of my post entirely.

Oh.  I see.  You're saying he lacks talent.  I see what you did there.  You bastard.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Are you referring to the BB coinflop game when Fitz went 3 for 3 for 74  yards and a TD in OT? A game where Fitz threw for nearly 300 yards  with 3TDs, 0 INTs and 109.4 Qb Rating.  LMAO, great choice for a game that proves Fitz can't win. 

Yeah, against a Pats cover band with half their starters out and with BB taking the ball out of Brady's hands in OT. 

3 hours ago, PCP63 said:

The article said that Kap never said NYJ was his preferred destination. It did NOT say he doesn't want to play for us.

I know. Still no quotes from Kaep that debunk the story either, just more unnamed sources. 

At first it did make perfect sense; Kaepernick wants to start and win.

Jets are a playoff-ready team with a playoff-unready QB, a six-team 11-year playoff-virgin dilettante that avoids the postseason like it's Ebola.

The story was either a rubber-Bigfoot-suit-in-a-freezer stunt by Mehta or everyone's now in anti-tampering damage control mode and where there's smoke there's fire.

3 hours ago, jetrider said:

Yeah, against a Pats cover band with half their starters out and with BB taking the ball out of Brady's hands in OT. 

Maybe you should check his stats for the first game against the Pats...and maybe not having a healthy Ivory or Powell at the end of the year hurt the Jets, but I guess excuses are just for the Pats.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 5, 2016 at 8:17 PM, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Maybe you should check his stats for the first game against the Pats...and maybe not having a healthy Ivory or Powell at the end of the year hurt the Jets, but I guess excuses are just for the Pats.

You mean check his Pennington-esque personal stats in a game he lost? 

He not only finished the first half with three straight 3 & Outs, but he failed to finish a 1st & Goal at the NE4 and a 1st & 10 at the NE15.

That's 8 points left on the field right there. Jets lost 30-23 ... the only stat that matters.

On February 4, 2016 at 2:06 PM, jetrider said:

Oh right we're subtracting wins based on style points again ...lame

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Oh right we're subtracting wins based on style points again ...lame

You have to love when so called fans take wins and dissect them looking for and finding reasons we were lucky.  And then want to take credit away for the win.

But never seem to do that for games we lost, never want to change losses with a bad bounce from being a win and credit us for it.

Its a dumb what to look back at the season.  Works both ways and evens out in the end

First it was reported he wanted to play for the Jets.  Then we get posts saying it was untrue.  Then it was "I don't want to play for the Jets". 

Now he's saying the Jets kill adorable, innocent little puppies that hurt nobody and just want to give love back to their human owners. 

This situation has really deteriorated rapidly.  "Same old Jets" I guess.

Archived