Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

On 3/19/2016 at 3:53 PM, AFJF said:

Definitely a team game, but we're so obsessed with QBs that some people ignore everything else.

Sanchez was atrocious for an entire half.  How many yards did the offense gain in their first four or five possessions?  

Also not sure of the conditions, but I don't think it was 25ish MPH wind gusts which is a death sentence with Fitz + Stevan Ridley as your no. 1 RB.

actually we moved the ball a little bit.  Pitt got the first possession and held the ball for over 9 mins and scored a TD.  we got the ball and held it for over 4 mins giving our D a rest.  a false start penalty put us in a 3rd and really long.  we pinned Pit inside their 15 then they moved all the way to our 32 before their drive stalled.  next possession we lost 4 yards on an end around then had another false start.  2nd and 19- is it fair to expect him to covert that?  he had the fumble which I am still not sure was a fumble but why are we throwing on 3rd and 17 deep in our territory? after that he led us on a quick FG drive which gave us hope heading to the LR then opened up the 2nd w/ a quick TD and we were back in it.  

We lost that game b/c our D was pushed around all first half then couldn't get a stop late in the game.  Mark was a MILLION times better in a much tougher place to win against a MUCH better team than Fitz was against a dead Bills team where the wind only affected him and not Tyrod Taylor.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

Well, it doesn't sound like he's injected himself into anything? He simply gave the front office a stroke of confidence that they can get something done with Fitz? I don't believe that's being nosy in the least little bit? The fact is, he can do whatever he wants to, it's HIS team. But he has not done that at all, he's letting football people make all of those decisions.

Yup, it's his team but he knows zero about football. I hope he did learn his lesson with Tannenbaum and Rex. He needs to act more like the Maras and the Rooneys, that's all.

if Fitz is back I think Geno is gone BUt if both are here Fitz deserves the job w/o competition.  he earned that based on last year.

Not looking to argue but, are you saying that if Fitz and Geno are in camp together and Fitz is declared the stater but Geno outplays him, you still want Fitz to start?

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

he gets no credit for scrambling against TB? then setting up the long FG?  NE gave us the ball to start OT wouldn't that be somewhat similar?  

Geno didn't do much in the NE game in '13 but Fitz didn't do much against dallas this year.  we can play this game all day.

I am not comparing to Fitz.   

But you can defend Geno all you want, I always have the trump card,.   I remember the buffalo game, worst QB in a game ever. 

I am not comparing to Fitz.   

But you can defend Geno all you want, I always have the trump card,.   I remember the buffalo game, worst QB in a game ever. 

Come on give Fitz a break,after all he won 10 games.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

actually we moved the ball a little bit.  Pitt got the first possession and held the ball for over 9 mins and scored a TD.  we got the ball and held it for over 4 mins giving our D a rest.  a false start penalty put us in a 3rd and really long.  we pinned Pit inside their 15 then they moved all the way to our 32 before their drive stalled.  next possession we lost 4 yards on an end around then had another false start.  2nd and 19- is it fair to expect him to covert that?  he had the fumble which I am still not sure was a fumble but why are we throwing on 3rd and 17 deep in our territory? after that he led us on a quick FG drive which gave us hope heading to the LR then opened up the 2nd w/ a quick TD and we were back in it.  

We lost that game b/c our D was pushed around all first half then couldn't get a stop late in the game.  Mark was a MILLION times better in a much tougher place to win against a MUCH better team than Fitz was against a dead Bills team where the wind only affected him and not Tyrod Taylor.

Uh huh

BOCA RATON, Fla. -- One day after owner Woody Johnson issued a public pleafor unsigned quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to "come back to the Jets," coach Todd Bowles took the pragmatic approach, claiming Tuesday the team won't miss a beat if Fitzpatrick signs elsewhere.

Bowles expressed confidence in his contingency plans, heaping praise on starter-turned-backup Geno Smith, whom he believes gained maturity after having his jaw broken by a teammate last summer. Bowles said Smith is one of the fallback options; he declined to specify the others.

EDITOR'S PICKS

The coach's message: He's not sweating the stalemate with Fitzpatrick.

"We're working through it," Bowles said at the NFL owners meetings. "It'll work out for the best. I feel pretty good about it. Obviously, we're going to try to sign Fitz back, but we have plans in place just in case it doesn't happen."

The organization has set an internal deadline, but "we're not close to that," according to Bowles. He said it's so early in the offseason that "everybody has a right to be stubborn."

Aside from Smith, who lost the job when he was punched out by then-teammateIK Enemkpali, the Jets might consider free agent Robert Griffin III. They met with the former Washington Redskins star, but their interest seems tepid at this point.

Another possibility is Colin Kaepernick, whose future with the San Francisco 49ers is cloudy. One opposing coach said he wouldn't be surprised if Kaepernick ends up with the Jets in a trade.

The defensive-minded Bowles, who played for Hall of Fame coach Joe Gibbs, noted that his old coach won three Super Bowls with three different quarterbacks.

"You learn from that standpoint," Bowles said. "You want everything to work out fine [with Fitzpatrick], but if it doesn't work out fine, you better have Plans B, C and D. And you still have to win with those plans."

The Jets and Fitzpatrick remain far apart in negotiations. The team has maintained that re-signing him is their primary focus at quarterback. Fitzpatrick galvanized the offense in the aftermath of the Smith-Enemkpali altercation, setting a team record with 31 touchdown passes.

But that means nothing now, according to Bowles.

"You're back at square one even if you have the same quarterback," he said. "You have to rebuild your chemistry every year."

In a one-hour sit-down with reporters at the AFC coaches breakfast, Bowles used the forum to laud Smith, who served as Fitzpatrick's backup after starting in 2013 and 2014.

"We thought Geno matured last year," Bowles said. "It's something you couldn't see because he didn't play as much, but you saw it in practice and you saw it in his demeanor in off-the-field stuff. Geno is still our quarterback, he's still on our team.

"You learn from your mistakes," he continued. "He went on and learned a valuable lesson. He was mature and he applied himself and he moved on from it, which was big. It was big to see that from him. That could destroy your team after going through something like that, but he's a team player. ... I respect him for that."

From all indications, Smith was sucker-punched by Enemkpali. Bowles retracted his use of the word "mistake," adding: "For me, I would treat it as a mistake just from where I grew up. I'm not saying that was a mistake. Maybe 'mistake' was a bad word. It was an experience, and you learn from experiences."

The Jets are in a delicate situation. They don't want to overpay Fitzpatrick -- they're offering more than $7 million per year, sources said -- but they also recognize he's a popular team leader. Outspoken wide receiver Brandon Marshall has lobbied for the team to re-sign Fitzpatrick.

"My son wants certain things, too, that his dad says no to," Bowles said, laughing. "It really doesn't matter. I love Brandon to death and he's a good player ... [but] he doesn't make any decisions for this team."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15041971/coach-todd-bowles-says-new-york-jets-fine-ryan-fitzpatrick-signs-elsewhere

Well if Plan B is getting Kap. Who would you rather pay 11 mil per season to him or Fitz. I think Chip Kelly would rather pay Fitz. I would not take that exchange. I think Fitz is our best option after the superstars who we're not going to get. Kap is a guy on a decline and Fitz is a guy on an upswing. 

I love how the Jets have handled this and especially  when Bowles said. "You want everything to work out fine [with Fitzpatrick], but if it doesn't work out fine, you better have Plans B, C and D. And you still have to win with those plans."

Also the Jets have never said what their alternative plans are so speculating on RG III or Kaep is just that, speculation not fact.

Indeed Bowles and the Jet could be talking up Geno  so that he has value to include in a trade say for Glennon, we don't know and that IMO is a good thing. 

We finally have a FO and coach that understands that they have to have strategic plans and contingency plans for alternative scenarios in order to win.

Finally grown-ups in the room. Love it.....

34 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Boy oh boy this is gonna upset some people on this board. :-)  

Why would this upset anyone? Whether Geno is our starting QB or not, you always want to see people mature and learn from their mistakes. I don't think that he will ever be a good QB, but I would hope he is, and maturing is a good thing.

26 minutes ago, King P said:

And the fact that nobody else wants Fitzpatrick should speak volumes as well

they don't want him at the price he is asking for - the broncos wanted him but agreed with us on numbers and wouldn't pay him much more than we were offering

5 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

No, you just waste your time private messaging posters telling them to meet you at starbucks as a 6'4" Big bad black dude, and then don't show up.......

You have an open invitation to PM me if you have something to say to me. Otherwise kindly stop ruining the board with your mindless ramblings 

Just now, cant wait said:

You have an open invitation to PM me if you have something to say to me. Otherwise kindly stop ruining the board with your mindless ramblings 

LOL, I tried to have football dialogue with you, and you replied with board littering as usual....... Your worthless, as a human being, and a poster....

12 minutes ago, BowlesMovement said:

Why would this upset anyone? Whether Geno is our starting QB or not, you always want to see people mature and learn from their mistakes. I don't think that he will ever be a good QB, but I would hope he is, and maturing is a good thing.

Are you new here?  Get real, just read through any of the Fitz/Geno threads on this board. A large percentage of this Board don't want to see Geno within 500 miles of Metlife unless he has a ticket and could care less how much he "matured". He is a PUNK and LOSER and they hope he BURNS in HELL!! Oops sorry, I got carried away :-)

Archived