Ryan Fitzpatrick: MERGED

kelly

37 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Well if Plan B is getting Kap. Who would you rather pay 11 mil per season to him or Fitz. I think Chip Kelly would rather pay Fitz. I would not take that exchange. I think Fitz is our best option after the superstars who we're not going to get. Kap is a guy on a decline and Fitz is a guy on an upswing. 

Both players have potential and baggage. As the Jets organization, you know what Fitz can provide you, which is why he's on the market because what he can provide doesnt reflect the charging price at the moment. Kaep is young, was 5 minutes away from being a superbowl champion to having two less than mediocre years....losing his head coach and a ton of talent around him in the process. 

Talent wise Kaep is the obvious choice, experience Fitz is the obvious choice. Potential Kaep is the obvious choice, "all or bust" then Fitz is the obvious choice. 11 million makes Kaep a better choice than 18 Million for Fitz. 

If you had to decide on paying 11 million to Kaep or 18 for Fitz then you pay the 11 million to Kaep, not because its less money, but because you atleast know that Kaep has a history of being a productive player when having alot of talent around him on both sides of the ball. And though SF's defense at its height was better than what he have to offer, I honestly believe that the Jets offense is better than the SF squad that went to the SB. 

With Fitz you will be paying a guy 18 million and the high point of his career was being 1 quarter away from his first playoff appearance ever....and he ended up throwing 3 INT's to close out the game. 

With that said, do you take your chance on a guy who's career achievement was being 5 minutes away from being a champion and a 4-2 playoff record but may not necessarily fit your system? Or do you take your chance on a guy who's career achievement was being 1 quarter away from his first wildcard spot and threw 3 INT's in that situation, yet fits your system like a glove? 

I think this is a tougher decision than trading a 1st for Glennon! lol. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Go to plan G.  Glennon.

Could you imagine? People on this forum would be so happy.

Until preseason game 3 when he gets reps and turns out he is hot garbage. Then we can only daydream of the days of Ryan Spadola and Brian Toal. 

1 minute ago, pointman said:

Until preseason game 3 when he gets reps and turns out he is hot garbage. Then we can only daydream of the days of Ryan Spadola and Brian Toal. 

Dude, if Glennon ended up being hot garbage I would have to get a new Jetnation account and mask my IP address just to keep cover! lol. The sh*t talk that would be headed in my direction would be never-ending lmao! 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Dude, if Glennon ended up being hot garbage I would have to get a new Jetnation account and mask my IP address just to keep cover! lol. The sh*t talk that would be headed in my direction would be never-ending lmao! 

I meant you mostly, just didn't have the heart to call you out. Don't worry, if it does happen.. there are a few threads I bookmarked where you made some big proclamations. 

37 minutes ago, pointman said:

Would you believe me that I like the kid because he played in the same high school division as my son?  LOL

6 minutes ago, pointman said:

Believe you? Yes. Wait.. who did? Glennon? 

Yes.  He played at Westfields high school.  My Baby Crusher played at the crosstown rival Chantilly.  Glennon was few years ahead  but I watched him play the year they won Virginia State Championship.  Eddie Royster and Evam Royster was on same team.  Sickest high school team I have ever seen.   Kid was lights out in high school.  I got a thing for local talent.  

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes.  He played at Westfields high school.  My Baby Crusher played at the crosstown rival Chantilly.  Glennon was few years ahead  but I watched him play the year they won Virginia State Championship.  Eddie Royster and Evam Royster was on same team.  Sickest high school team I have ever seen.   Kid was lights out in high school.  I got a thing for local talent.  

Ooooh.. now it makes sense. It all makes sense now. We all like our local talent. At least with you its not creepy since you have a son of that age. Some people are just plain sick.

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

Both players have potential and baggage. As the Jets organization, you know what Fitz can provide you, which is why he's on the market because what he can provide doesnt reflect the charging price at the moment. Kaep is young, was 5 minutes away from being a superbowl champion to having two less than mediocre years....losing his head coach and a ton of talent around him in the process. 

Talent wise Kaep is the obvious choice, experience Fitz is the obvious choice. Potential Kaep is the obvious choice, "all or bust" then Fitz is the obvious choice. 11 million makes Kaep a better choice than 18 Million for Fitz. 

If you had to decide on paying 11 million to Kaep or 18 for Fitz then you pay the 11 million to Kaep, not because its less money, but because you atleast know that Kaep has a history of being a productive player when having alot of talent around him on both sides of the ball. And though SF's defense at its height was better than what he have to offer, I honestly believe that the Jets offense is better than the SF squad that went to the SB. 

With Fitz you will be paying a guy 18 million and the high point of his career was being 1 quarter away from his first playoff appearance ever....and he ended up throwing 3 INT's to close out the game. 

With that said, do you take your chance on a guy who's career achievement was being 5 minutes away from being a champion and a 4-2 playoff record but may not necessarily fit your system? Or do you take your chance on a guy who's career achievement was being 1 quarter away from his first wildcard spot and threw 3 INT's in that situation, yet fits your system like a glove? 

Fitz isn't getting 18. He might get 11. As for the 3 picks they were all in the 4th quarter and I think 2 in the last few minutes of the game. All good Qbs throw picks esp at the end of a game when your team is losing. Those situations put you in a position to turn over the ball but admitted they weren't good or clutch throws. I've gotten over it but a lot of fans haven't. I take Fitz way over Kap. Esp for the Jets. If you want to win in 2016 we don't need to break in a new Qb. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

Fitz isn't getting 18. He might get 11. As for the 3 picks they were all in the 4th quarter and I think 2 in the last few minutes of the game. All good Qbs throw picks esp at the end of a game when your team is losing. Those situations put you in a position to turn over the ball but admitted they weren't good or clutch throws. I've gotten over it but a lot of fans haven't. I take Fitz way over Kap. Esp for the Jets. If you want to win in 2016 we don't need to break in a new Qb. 

No, all good QB's throw touchdowns at the end of a game when your team is losing.

Just now, pointman said:

So now it REALLY makes sense.

My eldest daughter was at Chantilly when he played.  I watched Westfields beat the piss  out of them and the followed them to the state championship.  That team was truly amazing.  Hell in the last ten years a team from that Concorde division won States 4 times.  Serious high school football in No Virginia 

2 minutes ago, pointman said:

No, all good QB's throw touchdowns at the end of a game when your team is losing.

They all have. Look that L to the Bills was to a good team that had underachieved most of the season and was loose with nothing to lose. That Buff D one of the better in the NFL. 

This is all simple market-based economics.  If indeed there really is nobody willing at least match the Jets offer, Maccagnan is playing this perfectly.

It's just a question of how far is Fitz willing to push this.  He's not getting more money per year anywhere else.  Once Fitz realizes this, he'll come back to the Jets.  The real question is, is he still unsigned when training camp begins?  I'll be surprised if Fitz pushes this into training camp, and it could create bad blood.

My guess is by May/June Fitz caves.

39 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Of course Fitz isnt getting 18 million. He may not even get 11. 

All good QB's throw 3 picks in a "win or you in" situation? 

I highly doubt that. Actually, not throwing 3 picks and actually cementing the comeback in order to make the playoffs is what separates the good QB's from the not so good. 

He's been in the league for 11 seasons and never seen a playoff game. He's been in the league long enough to know that he's actually contributing to that fact. Throwing those 3 INT's only confirmed that. 

Throwing 1 Int isnt a big deal. It happens to the best of them....but he threw 3 in the final quarter of the season. There is no cleaning that up my friend. 

39 minutes ago, pointman said:

Maybe 1....but most definitely not 3. The fact that he even tried to defend that. I could have understood if it was Geno Smith in his rookie or sophomore year, but this is a veteran who's in his 11th year in the league. 

You kinda see why the man has never seen the playoffs, not that its all his fault, but in 11 years to be that close with the team he had and to end it that way surely shows that he's most definitely contributed to his playoff nonappearances. 

Look I think Marino, Peyton Manning and even 2nd tier Qbs like Eli have thrown 3 picks. And again when you're behind and deep in the 4th quarter your % chance of being intercepted is much higher. Did Fitz have a good game: No. But did he put them in a position to win the game:Yes. And if Thompkins had made a great play: We'd have won the game. 

8 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look I think Marino, Peyton Manning and even 2nd tier Qbs like Eli have thrown 3 picks. And again when you're behind and deep in the 4th quarter your % chance of being intercepted is much higher. Did Fitz have a good game: No. But did he put them in a position to win the game:Yes. And if Thompkins had made a great play: We'd have won the game. 

You show me  the games where Mario Peyton and Eli threw 3 picks in a row in the 4th quarter as a veteran in the league to keep them out of the playoffs and I'll give you credit for finding such a unicorn. WIth that said, all three of those QB's have been to the superbowl....Fitz, not even a playoff appearance. 

Fitz is not on their level and shouldnt even be put in the same sentence/conversation. Fitz is not elite or 2nd tier. 

51 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Maybe 1....but most definitely not 3. The fact that he even tried to defend that. I could have understood if it was Geno Smith in his rookie or sophomore year, but this is a veteran who's in his 11th year in the league. 

You kinda see why the man has never seen the playoffs, not that its all his fault, but in 11 years to be that close with the team he had and to end it that way surely shows that he's most definitely contributed to his playoff nonappearances. 

I wasn't going to even respond to it, but it just made so little sense I felt compelled. 

Fitz isn't garbage and he isn't a savior.  He is what he is and that is an experienced veteran with an average arm that can look either really good or really bad on any given Sunday.  I am with the camp of trading for Glennon.  He is a young strong armed QB that has some starting experience in the league.  I would even be willing to part with a 2nd round pick for him.  If he turns out to be a stud a 2nd rounder turns out to be a major bargain, if he turns out to be a bust we can just add him to a long list of 2nd rounders that are a bust.  You have to be willing to take a chance to get a quality QB.  This team is built to win now and will be old by the time a draft pick matures into a playoff QB, if he does at all.  Glennon is young enough to give us a now QB as well as a future QB if he pans out.  I know a lot of people want Kap but I believe he is as risky as Glennon with a much higher cap hit, no pun intended.

Just do not throw Brian Hoyer at me.  No credibility there.  I cannot believe people talking about Fitz being not he "upswing" and Kaep being "in decline."  Kaep is on a sh*t team.  But he has been to the NFCCG and won and he has been to a Super bowl.

I want Fitz back at the right price but this may not be in the cards.   We are not screwed w/o him.

Listen......:

1) Geno played well stats wise and eyeball wise the last game or two of the 2014 season

2) Geno was having a good camp performance wise before his "experience".

3) His HC says he had a good attitude adjustment during the rest of the 2015 season and did well as the backup.

#1 is a fact.  #2 is supported by all the preseason news coverage and the HC.  #3 is from his HC.  Numbers one and two are hard is not impossible to dispute.  Number three seems plausible/possible/probably to me since people do change/grow, and I have respect for his HC.

So can we all step back from the ledge and stop all the hate, at least till camp where the proof will be in the pudding.    

10 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Would a trade of MO to SF that gets you Kap and SF 2nd rd. Pick be a fair trade in your estimation?

10 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Are you new here?  Get real, just read through any of the Fitz/Geno threads on this board. A large percentage of this Board don't want to see Geno within 500 miles of Metlife unless he has a ticket and could care less how much he "matured". He is a PUNK and LOSER and they hope he BURNS in HELL!! Oops sorry, I got carried away :-)

You could say that pretty much about every Jets QB the last 15 years. :)

I think our cap situation is really going to dictate what we do at QB. Still waiting on Brick re-structure, etc. but this is why you keep Geno at a reasonable number because the back ups in this league are getting $12 mill guaranteed and 6 per year.

its not popular amongst the fans here, but if Bowles isn't blowing smoke to get Fitz back, I support he and his staff know what the are talking about.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I want Fitz back at the right price but this may not be in the cards.   We are not screwed w/o him.

Listen......:

1) Geno played well stats wise and eyeball wise the last game or two of the 2014 season

2) Geno was having a good camp performance wise before his "experience".

3) His HC says he had a good attitude adjustment during the rest of the 2015 season and did well as the backup.

#1 is a fact.  #2 is supported by all the preseason news coverage and the HC.  #3 is from his HC.  Numbers one and two are hard is not impossible to dispute.  Number three seems plausible/possible/probably to me since people do change/grow, and I have respect for his HC.

So can we all step back from the ledge and stop all the hate, at least till camp where the proof will be in the pudding.    

I think you can add that Geno played reasonably well against Oakland considering it was his first action of the year as well as having limited 1st team practice reps.

For the first time, in a long time with this franchise, we have a staff that actually appears that they know what they are doing at the qb position, and better than that, can actually develop a qb and make him play better (witness Fitz last year, and other QBs under Gailey).

I know that we have a lot of geniuses on this board who have developed their own qbs in their life, but on this one, I am actually going to watch what the men in charge of the Jets do, watch it play out and see who they wind up with and judge the results.

Weird concept, I know. But I actually trust this team this time. The prior 5 years, and even before, the qb position wasn't given a thought as to how to develop. 

Archived