What players will you give up to keep Fitz

JohnnyLV

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Not privy at the moment to dead money numbers, but i would seriously consider (fitz or no fitz) blowing up the Oline. It's responsible for $40 mill and they sure as sh*t aren't earning it. I'd cut Dbrick and offer him a nice deal to resign, if not, oh well, patchwork with Donald Penn or E. Munroe. Same with Giacomininini.

Also, Snacks bye. 

Yeah I mean, pretty much this.  I'm equally pissed about paying Brick the money he's getting.

Tennessee is gonna grab Harrison.  I'll miss him but we've seen time and time again that NT can be filled relatively quick. Especially when you have the talent across the D-Line like we do.

Breno?  Buh-bye. 

Ivory?  Deuces.  Draft time.

Cumberland?  Peace buddy.  Sign Scott Chandler and call it a night.

Like you want, I these moves made regardless.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike135 said:

I'm not saying Geno is perfect.  I was pissed we drafted him.  But I know he has the skillset to be good and the Jets seriously failed at grooming him early on.  Just a complete crap situation  (coaching and supporting cast).  

Combine that with a guy who is in NYC (read: crazy media), was/is still immature and ya get the mess we had.

I've seen enough from Geno to think that he can overcome the flaws and be a good QB in even a decent situation.

I wasn't pissed because Geno Smith at one point was a top ten pick in that draft. Plus the Bills picked EJ Manuel and busted out with him.

The situation was not good but a guy unable to temper a situation where he gets punched in the face over a small amount of money (NFL wise) just doesn't seem right,

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah I mean, pretty much this.  I'm equally pissed about paying Brick the money he's getting.

Tennessee is gonna grab Harrison.  I'll miss him but we've seen time and time again that NT can be filled relatively quick. Especially when you have the talent across the D-Line like we do.

Breno?  Buh-bye. 

Ivory?  Deuces.  Draft time.

Cumberland?  Peace buddy.  Sign Scott Chandler and call it a night.

Like you want, I these moves made regardless.

Woudn't be surprised if the G-Men pick him up. 

13 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Been said a thousand times previously, but the reason "why anyone thinks Geno is not still the complete dog crap we watched for two years" is that the rest of the team was "dog crap" too those years.

Would Fitz have gotten 8 wins in 2014?  I doubt it.  He got 10 with a hugely upgraded team and coaching staff last season, while playing the easiest possible schedule.

This 'gotten' so many wins is a stupid way to look at things.  You have to actually look at the performance of the player and or coach, the big 8-8 year for both geno and rex was a total aberration as the team was handed in essence two wins on the last play by the other team screwing up and they got ass smacked in most losses.

I would turn the question around and ask how many wins Geno would have gotten this past year and I say with full belief that it sure as hell would not have been 10.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I wasn't pissed because Geno Smith at one point was a top ten pick in that draft. Plus the Bills picked EJ Manuel and busted out with him.

The situation was not good but a guy unable to temper a situation where he gets punched in the face over a small amount of money (NFL wise) just doesn't seem right,

Ideal?  Hells no.  But I'm not giving up on a guy just because of that.  He basically just spent a year on the bench because of that.  Maybe he learned a bit from it.  

Though getting into an argument with a hot-head who punched him is nothing compared to other crap that happens (e.g. rape, drunk driving, weapons, drugs...).  

$hit, I'm sure fights happen all the time on teams for all types of dumb reasons.  I'm actually still pissed that it leaked out to the press.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I would turn the question around and ask how many wins Geno would have gotten this past year and I say with full belief that it sure as hell would not have been 10.

I agree.  Except that I believe the number would be higher than 10.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

I agree.  Except that I believe the number would be higher than 10.

We will have to agree to VEHEMENTLY disagree on this point.  With Geno at the helm, ints, sacks, fumbles would all be up.

I usually think that nothing surprises me on forums any more but the love Geno Smith still gets by a good many people on here is totally bewildering to me.

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Would it be better if geno raped a waitress at TGIFriday's instead?

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

We will have to agree to VEHEMENTLY disagree on this point.  With Geno at the helm, ints, sacks, fumbles would all be up.

I usually think that nothing surprises me on forums any more but the love Geno Smith still gets by a good many people on here is totally bewildering to me.

Ha, agreed to "agree to VEHEMENTLY disagree".

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Just let Fitz walk.  Draft some stud LB (Floyd) or RB (Ezekiel) in the 1st.  Use rest of the draft and FA to fill remaining holes and get younger.  Give Geno/Petty a solid team and legit shot at succeeding.  

No freakin way should we sacrifice the team for an older avg qb.  Even if it resulted in a better overall performance in 2016 (which I don't think it would), it'd be hurting us long-term.

Anything over 8mil... see ya Fitz.  Thanks for the decent year and good luck.

This seems pretty reasonable to me.

Cut Breno 4.5M (Fill RT with Qvale), Cut Kerly 1.5M(Fill PR with Archer), and cut Cumberland 1.9M(Fill starting TE with Amaro and draft pick or low priced ? FA Chandler). We have 6.5M now so adding that to it is 6.5M+4.5M+1.5M+1.9M=~14.5M. Even a 10M annual contract for Fitz doesn't mean the 1st year it counts as 10M against the cap. Might be able to take a lower base in year 1 and with pro-rated signing bonus maybe it counts in 2016 ~7M, so that would be half of the cap we have. We can add some more towards the end of FA with restructuring Brick and maybe even Mangold, and Brick might even be a salary cut that shouldn't occur till 2nd wave of FA so he has less leverage then. With the 7M left over we can see if we can re-sign ILB Henderson and RB Powell and fill other RB spot with a draft pick since Ivory is another FA we will have to let go(Might not easily be able to add a FA RB like Forte due to costs). The remaining money left after that mostly will go to some bargain FAs and the draft picks to sign, which is why we need more $ from other salary cuts/restructures, but try not to extend these players too long past their prime. Oh, and this plan gives us absolutely no chance to keep Snacks who unfortunately either has his NT position back filled with last year's draft pick NT/DT Simon or a low priced FA. Only chance of any of this being different and keeping possibly Snacks is if DE Mo is traded in the next day and that is highly unlikely since there are FA DEs out there already teams like the Giants, Cowboys, etc. can get for only $ and no draft compensation. I figure as soon as FA starts tomorrow Snacks is going to get some offers 5-6M or higher to have a bigger role perhaps as a DT on a 4 man line and since we only use him @50% capacity on our 3-4 line we will have to let him go for basically anything over 4M, which even that is tough for us to pay him with our tight budget.   

I saw something on ESPN where they showed each teams likley biggest FA signing

the jets was fitzpatrick

I aint mad because this years FA class is pretty sh*tty.  no peyton maning or reggie white out there. 

4 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Just let Fitz walk.  Draft some stud LB (Floyd) or RB (Ezekiel) in the 1st.  Use rest of the draft and FA to fill remaining holes and get younger.  Give Geno/Petty a solid team and legit shot at succeeding.  

No freakin way should we sacrifice the team for an older avg qb.  Even if it resulted in a better overall performance in 2016 (which I don't think it would), it'd be hurting us long-term.

Anything over 8mil... see ya Fitz.  Thanks for the decent year and good luck.

How long do we really want him? I hear he demands Bradford money which is double what Mac is offering.

I'm thinking a 1-year deal with an improved base salary and incentives based on postseason bonuses that allow him to reach his desired amount.

Personal stats and W-L record don't count. So something roughly like this to light a fire under his ass:

1 year deal; $6M; worth double ($12M) if playoffs are reached. Each playoff win doubles in value. $400K WC; $800K DIV; $1.6M AFCC; $3.2M Super Bowl.

First round bye pays the WC bonus automatically. Total max value $18M.

He can revert to mediocrity and fleece $6M or he can earn $18M in one season by winning our first SB in 48 years. 

That way he’s affordable if he fails and hits the jackpot if he delivers. 

4 minutes ago, jetrider said:

How long do we really want him? I hear he demands Bradford money which is double what Mac is offering.

I'm thinking a 1-year deal with an improved base salary and incentives based on postseason bonuses that allow him to reach his desired amount.

Personal stats and W-L record don't count. So something roughly like this to light a fire under his ass:

1 year deal; $6M; worth double ($12M) if playoffs are reached. Each playoff win doubles in value. $400K WC; $800K DIV; $1.6M AFCC; $3.2M Super Bowl.

First round bye pays the WC bonus automatically. Total max value $18M.

He can revert to mediocrity and fleece $6M or he can earn $18M in one season by winning our first SB in 48 years. 

That way he’s affordable if he fails and hits the jackpot if he delivers. 

So realistically, given Fitz's playoff history, it'd be a $6mil deal.  I can live with that.  

Still seems like we'd be going into an extremely tough year schedule-wise with mediocrity as our best outcome.  But hey, I don't hate Fitz.  He surprised me this past season.  Maybe he can do it again.  For 6mil, I'd take that gamble.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

So realistically, given Fitz's playoff history, it'd be a $6mil deal.  I can live with that.  

Still seems like we'd be going into an extremely tough year schedule-wise with mediocrity as our best outcome.  But hey, I don't hate Fitz.  He surprised me this past season.  Maybe he can do it again.  For 6mil, I'd take that gamble.

That's how I feel. Both sides win either way. 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I can understand that, but I just think that he didn't show any internal progress on the field. He played great against Oakland up until the end when he cracked mentally.

He also got punched in the face by a teammate, which while inexcusable from the teammate shows a lack of tempering the situation.

$6M is the right number. Any more than that and we start losing talent 

2 hours ago, Larz said:

I saw something on ESPN where they showed each teams likley biggest FA signing

the jets was fitzpatrick

I aint mad because this years FA class is pretty sh*tty.  no peyton maning or reggie white out there. 

Its only sh*tty because the jets have no money.

Wishing for Fitz back at 6 per year is like wishing to have my way with Kate Upton's melons ... Would I love the $h*t out of those giant goddess globes !?!?! ... H*ll YEAHHH!!!!!!

outside of my wife though I'd say there would be a big problem with .... Can somebody explain to me why would Kate get with a POS like me when she's got better offers out there?

Demario Davis is one I can think and if Milliner's 4 million wasn't guaranteed he'd immediately be out the door, Geno Smith is another I would gladly get rid of, but his salary is minuscule, and I would trade Mo. So really Geno, Mo, and Demario Davis. One is a douchebag and the other just doesn't work in Bowles defense. The Jets are never going to resign Mo anyway, so getting something in return for him right now would be the best approach IMO.

But most of all, Fitz will need to take less. His contract demands are way over the top unreasonable. He's only a stopgap and not a franchise QB. There's NO way I am paying Fitz a penny more than 10 million per.

We keep looking at former starters that can be cut because they give back more cap relief.  And if we part with Breno, Cumby, Kerley, and Folk we're looking at anywhere from $9.7M, (if they're ALL pre-June1st designations); but it could go as high as  $12.4M (if ALL are post-June1st designations).  It will likely be a combination of the the two, so somewhere in the middle of $9.7 and $12.4 (IF we cut those four players)

And we keep talking about trading Wilk, or restructuring Brick's contract.  The former brings back $15.8M in exchange for losing a probowler, and the latter can bring God-knows how much relief (his hit is now $14.1M, lets say that comes down to $9M).  That's potentially another $20M right there.    

But there's a host of players on the bottom of the roster, that can be cut without penalty to make significant room.  Sure it might take four or five of them to equal some decent scratch but would anyone here really cry about losing:

Adrien Robinson: $675,000

Josh Martin: 675,000

Julian Stanford: $675,000

Wesley Johnson $600,000

Joe Anderson: $600,000

Brandon Bostick: $600,000

Craig Watts: $440,000

Dominique Williams: $445,000

Lawrence Okoye: $450,000

Chandler Worthy: 525,000

They're all great stories, but they aren't ALL diamonds in the rough...If you kept just ONE of the above we would have $5M (with no dead money)...but wait, there's more, like 11 other guys making "future's" money. Cut them all but 2, and we're looking at closer to $16M total with our current cap.  

The sky isn't falling.  

We can clear some space.  We can wait until the major FA splashes have been made and the dust settles.  Then swoop in on mid-level FA's, sign them to 2+ year contracts and spread their cap hit into successive years where we have more spending power (like 2017, where our cap hit is only $118M right now)
But why clear up space and let these potential diamonds leave until the last possible second? WHO are we really missing out on? a 10-win QB? A gadget-back who didn't find his third gear until this last season? A middle linebacker we scraped off the heap last year? Patience pays off. Let the market settle.  Some crazy-talented player will be had for chicken scratch two weeks into the season...it happens every year. 

13 hours ago, JiF said:

Them and I'd throw San Fran and Cleveland into that mix. 

SF with Kelly is not an option, Kelly has no use for a QB like Fitz.  I think he'll draft his guy and work through the development stage

Cleveland is drafting someone at the top of the draft, why would they put big money is a 33 year old QB?

Archived