What players will you give up to keep Fitz

JohnnyLV

$6 million...that is our current cap space. We literally do not have enough space to sign Fitz as it is. Sounds like at a minimum he wants $10 million a year. More space than we have,  so we literally have to restructure and spend future cap space and lose players and not re-sign players to keep him. So how much us he worth? Can't sign him and Snacks. Cut Brick or Mangold? Revis? 

Can't sign anyone in FA either if you sign him. Only real option is trade Mo, but then spending most of that on Fitz.

So, what players current and future us he worth to re-sign?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not privy at the moment to dead money numbers, but i would seriously consider (fitz or no fitz) blowing up the Oline. It's responsible for $40 mill and they sure as sh*t aren't earning it. I'd cut Dbrick and offer him a nice deal to resign, if not, oh well, patchwork with Donald Penn or E. Munroe. Same with Giacomininini.

Also, Snacks bye. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Them and I'd throw San Fran and Cleveland into that mix. 

Francesca just said he would be surprised if Denver signed him. Says that's not the style of QB Elway likes

Would Houston trade a QB 1 year, win the division, and then try and trade back for him? That doesn't make logical senase.

Cleveland's going to draft.

Fitzpatrick is not Chip Kelly's style of QB.

The one legit team is LA but I would think the Rams would like to make a splash for the press in Los Angeles. And Ryan Fitzpatrick is not really a splashy type player.

My understanding is that supporting talent doesn't matter, so I would have to say Brandon Marshall.  If they were willing to pay him $6 Million with Marshall, cutting Marshall would give them $15 Million, which just happens to be what Fitz is reportedly looking for.  

:sarc:

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Francesca just said he would be surprised if Denver signed him. Says that's not the style of QB Elway likes

Would Houston trade a QB 1 year, win the division, and then try and trade back for him? That doesn't make logical senase.

The one legit team is LA but I would think the Rams would like to make a splash for the press in Los Angeles. And Ryan Fitzpatrick is not really a splashy type player.

What type of style does Elway like?  HOF'ers only?  I dont think he has that option. 

Sure it does.  Fitz >>> Hoyer.  They probably know that good and well now and they got a pick out of it and made the playoffs .

Just because Cleveland is going to draft one doesnt mean they dont take a vet to help bring that pick along.  I dont see any ready to start day 1 Qb's in the draft. 

Chip Kelly had a worse version of Fitz in Sam Bradford...a player he traded for.

Who said LA wants a splashy player?  Where did you pull that from?

The bottom line is, they all need a QB and Fitz looks like the best available.  

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

$6 million...that is our current cap space. We literally do not have enough space to sign Fitz as it is. Sounds like at a minimum he wants $10 million a year. More space than we have,  so we literally have to restructure and spend future cap space and lose players and not re-sign players to keep him. So how much us he worth? Can't sign him and Snacks. Cut Brick or Mangold? Revis? 

Can't sign anyone in FA either if you sign him. Only real option is trade Mo, but then spending most of that on Fitz.

So, what players current and future us he worth to re-sign?

We can't lose anyone on the offense. We all saw how sh*t Fitz was when even a backup RB went down. So yeah, we're not letting people walk to sign a below average QB to A better deal than Shady Brady. 

Just now, JiF said:

What type of style does Elway like?  HOF'ers only?  I dont think he has that option. 

Sure it does.  Fitz >>> Hoyer.  They probably know that good and well now and they got a pick out of it and made the playoffs .

Just because Cleveland is going to draft one doesnt mean they dont take a vet to help bring that pick along.  I dont see any ready to start day 1 Qb's in the draft. 

Chip Kelly had a worse version of Fitz in Sam Bradford...a player he traded for.

1. Francesca said Elway likes strong armed QBs, which Fitzpatrick is not.

2. So Bill O'Brien would dump a guy, make the playoffs without said guy and have the humility to say "I made a mistake, come back!" Goes against ego. Whole franchise would have to admit we goofed.

3. It's Cleveland. They are not going to spend major money on a player in a position that they can draft for less.

4. Sam Bradford has a better arm than Fitz.

5. Look at the Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers. There is competition there to deal with. To stand out, with no major well know studs on defense like Watt, they need a big name to sell tickets. It's the reason the Jets went for Namath

Team and Fitz are both playing it right.  They both know that Fitz's best fit is here but with the crazy stupid money teams are tossing around fitz is going to look around.  The jets I think have their price point and will wait it out.  In the end I still think he signs here but this will be a real org discipline check to see if he walks for unreasonable money.

13 minutes ago, JiF said:

Fitz really isn't any better than hoyer though. Especially at whatever laughable number he's demanding compared to hoyer's $5.2M

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Fitz really isn't any better than hoyer though. Especially at whatever laughable number he's demanding compared to hoyer's $5.2M

That's exactly what I'm saying. If they believed Fitz could get them further, then they wouldn't have traded him in the first place

Just let Fitz walk.  Draft some stud LB (Floyd) or RB (Ezekiel) in the 1st.  Use rest of the draft and FA to fill remaining holes and get younger.  Give Geno/Petty a solid team and legit shot at succeeding.  

No freakin way should we sacrifice the team for an older avg qb.  Even if it resulted in a better overall performance in 2016 (which I don't think it would), it'd be hurting us long-term.

Anything over 8mil... see ya Fitz.  Thanks for the decent year and good luck.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Just let Fitz walk.  Draft some stud LB (Floyd) or RB (Ezekiel) in the 1st.  Use rest of the draft and FA to fill remaining holes and get younger.  Give Geno/Petty a solid team and legit shot at succeeding.  

No freakin way should we sacrifice the team for an older avg qb.  Even if it resulted in a better overall performance in 2016 (which I don't think it would), it'd be hurting us long-term.

Anything over 8mil... see ya Fitz.  Thanks for the decent year and good luck.

I agree, go BPA at 20 whether that's a RB or LB or Olineman. I'm hoping we cut all of the crap like Cumby, Kerley, Breno, and use free agency for filling any holes on defense & most of the draft for young offensive players at QB, RB, WR, OL.

Plenty of ways to create cap room without cutting players - any number of contracts could be revisited, convert base salary to bonus that you can spread over future years.

E.g. Marshall and Decker between them are counting $17.5m on the cap this year; $16m of that is non guaranteed base salary. 

43 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

1. Agreed, but Denver just won a SB using a smart QB with a crappy arm.

2. Agreed, don't see Houston paying top dollar for someone they dumped when he cost $3.25M.

3. Cleveland is possible if they lose McCown.

4. Agreed, I can see Fitz in SF but Chip likes young QBs he can groom.

5. Agreed, LA needs a face with more glam like RGiii. 

1 minute ago, jetrider said:

1. Agreed, but Denver just won a SB using a smart QB with a crappy arm.

2. Agreed, don't see Houston paying top dollar for someone they dumped when he cost $3.25M.

3. Cleveland is possible if they lose McCown.

4. Agreed, I can see Fitz in SF but Chip likes young QBs he can groom.

5. Agreed, LA needs a face with more glam like RGiii. 

You know what? Josh McCown is not a bad idea for another stopgap

8 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I'm tired of rental QBs. I want a brand new McLaren with 0 miles.

Problem is, the McLaren probably comes in a kit you have to build yourself over years, with some trial and error along the way.  Plus ya gotta make sure you have the tools to build it. 

We've got a couple kit cars in the garage already.  One of which we tried building w/o any tools.  Lets give those a shot first before financing the Ford Taurus or buying another kit.

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

Problem is, the McLaren probably comes in a kit you have to build yourself over years, with some trial and error along the way.  Plus ya gotta make sure you have the tools to build it. 

We've got a couple kit cars in the garage already.  One of which we tried building w/o any tools.  Lets give those a shot first before financing the Ford Taurus or buying another kit.

I'm thinking a real McLaren.

So you wanna go with the rattle can primered Aztec 7 and Bradley GT in the box and dump the Taurus?  

27 minutes ago, jetrider said:

I'm thinking a real McLaren.

So you wanna go with the rattle can primered Bradley GT and Aztec 7 in the box and dump the Taurus?  

Ha, pretty much.  Mainly because I don't think McLaren's exist in this league.  Or rarely ever. 

Regardless, I'm not paying Porsche $$$ for a used Ford with 150k+ miles on it.  Especially when buying the Ford prevents us from getting the tools to fix up the kits.

(This is getting confusing...)

Simply:  Fitz wants to much dough.  There are no great rookie options.  Lets build the team around one of our young guys and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Ha, pretty much.  Mainly because I don't think McLaren's exist in this league.  Or rarely ever.

Regardless, I'm not paying Porsche $$$ for a used Ford with 150k+ miles on it.  Especially when buying the Ford prevents us from getting the tools to fix up the kits.

(This is getting confusing...)

Simply:  Fitz wants to much dough.  There are no great rookie options.  Lets build the team around one of our young guys and see what happens.

I just can't understand why anyone thinks Geno is not still the complete dog crap we watched for two years. 

Sign a vet, cut Geno and draft a QB in the middle rounds and let Petty and the Vet fight it out. 

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

I just can't understand why anyone thinks Geno is not still the complete dog crap we watched for two years. 

Sign a vet, cut Geno and draft a QB in the middle rounds and let Petty and the Vet fight it out. 

I think Geno has the skills, he just doesnt have the mental aptitude of being a QB and a leader.

6 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Been said a thousand times previously, but the reason "why anyone thinks Geno is not still the complete dog crap we watched for two years" is that the rest of the team was "dog crap" too those years.

Would Fitz have gotten 8 wins in 2014?  I doubt it.  He got 10 with a hugely upgraded team and coaching staff last season, while playing the easiest possible schedule.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Been said a thousand times previously, but the reason "why anyone thinks Geno is not still the complete dog crap we watched for two years" is that the rest of the team was "dog crap" too those years.

Would Fitz have gotten 8 wins in 2014?  I doubt it.  He got 10 with a hugely upgraded team and coaching staff last season, while playing possibly the easiest possible schedule.

I can understand that, but I just think that he didn't show any internal progress on the field. He played great against Oakland up until the end when he cracked mentally.

He also got punched in the face by a teammate, which while inexcusable from the teammate shows a lack of tempering the situation.

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I can understand that, but I just think that he didn't show any internal progress on the field. He played great against Oakland up until the end when he cracked mentally.

He also got punched in the face by a teammate, which while inexcusable from the teammate shows a lack of tempering the situation

I'm not saying Geno is perfect.  I was pissed we drafted him.  But I know he has the skillset to be good and the Jets seriously failed at grooming him early on.  Just a complete crap situation  (coaching and supporting cast).  

Combine that with a guy who is in NYC (read: crazy media), was/is still immature and ya get the mess we had.

I've seen enough from Geno to think that he can overcome the flaws and be a good QB in even a decent situation.

Archived