Cimini: Jets Offer to Fitz Tops $7-8 Million

JetNation

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Give me Goff, three wins, some signs of life from Devin Smith, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Brent Qvale, Lorenzo Maudlin, and go into 2017 with a top three pick (hopefully not included in the trade up for Goff), and I'll take that version of Hell over the other version, wherein we win 7 games with Fitzpatrick and are sitting here 12 months from now wondering how much it would cost to buy out Dabo Swinney's contract at Clemson and if Chicago would take a third rounder in exchange for Jay Cutler.

I would gladly buy into this -- at least there is a sense of direction.  I like the limbo as a dance activity, but not as the state of my football team.  Losing a bunch a games with young guys who have high ceilings, and watching them grow together, isn't the worst thing in the world.  As it stands now, the Jets are half-pregnant.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz is not a mentor he's the starting Qb. And this is not a rebuilding year.although some of you seem to want it to be. We are coming off of a 10-6. The Qb had a good year. If you want to look for negatives about him or any player you can find them. Or build a case against him. We have a legit shot at the playoffs and if we get in things could happen. Our best chance to get into a SB in years. Now if we rebuild every year like some of you guys are saying we're all going to die without having the chance to buy a tickets for five thousand bucks (each) and seats way up. There are no guarantees with any team and long shots often get in. Denver I think was a 12-1 going into last season and that was only because of Peyton. So if you want to struggle through a rookie Qb or someone like Glennon unproven who doesn't know the system it's a mistake. If Fitz in 2016 regresses then you go in a different direction. But this year he should be the man,. And the salary is between him and the Jets. What do we care if he gets 10 mil or 9.5 etc. 

It would not be a rebuilding year if we had a better QB than Fitzpatrick. They don't and won't. He will never again repeat his 2015 numbers, and we will not win 10 games with him again (not unless all our half-decent opponents continue to have key injuries during our matchups).

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Then pay him $10M/year to be a QB coach. But you don't pay a guy $20M, from 2016-2017 alone, to be a rookie's backup. Nobody does that.

The most we should do is $7M for this year and then we'll see what happens. If he repeats the same numbers for passing yards, TDs, and doesn't have any more turnovers, then he can get a $5M bonus. I wouldn't want to pay that, but there is a 0% chance of that happening so I'm fine with it. I doubt he'll get a better deal from any other team, and if he does he should take it.

personally, i dont care what they pay fitz. 7-8m? fine. 10-12m? fine. hell, 5-6m? fine. in the scenario that i had laid out, as long as fitz does what he needs to do( start, play well most of the time, mentor the future, and basically keep the team going at a competative rate) untill the future is ready, then its money well spent

4 minutes ago, ylekram said:

personally, i dont care what they pay fitz. 7-8m? fine. 10-12m? fine. hell, 5-6m? fine. in the scenario that i had laid out, as long as fitz does what he needs to do( start, play well most of the time, mentor the future, and basically keep the team going at a competative rate) untill the future is ready, then its money well spent

I'd rather run a single wing than pay Fitz $$$ over multiple years.   He is irrelevant to the future of this football team.

27 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Let's never upgrade, in fact. This way we can go into every season with those same players, because the younger guys are "unproven" and don't "give us the best chance to win"!

I'm surprised any teams show up to the draft at all.

My biggest disappointment with this regime so far has been the reliance on veterans at key spots and their reluctance to even entertain playing youth. Considering the eventual signing of Fitz, we're looking at the QB1, WR1, and RB1 all being essentially trash-heap pickups. I'm hopeful that their second year provides some level of coherence as to their master plan, but it's difficult to see right now.

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

If he wasn't on the salary cap they could pay him $20M/year for all I care. If we draft a start-now rookie like Goff then it definitely matters what we pay him. $10-12M is just not smart in that case.

1 minute ago, Il Mostro said:

I'd rather run a single wing than pay Fitz $$$ over multiple years.  

well, thats your opinion and thats fine. i look at fitz as a competant qb untill something better pans out. a bridge if you will. i think the jets are eyeing a certain 1st round qb. i would never start a rookie qb,ever

Just now, T0mShane said:

My biggest disappoint with this regime so fat has been the reliance on veterans at key spots and their reluctance to even entertain playing youth. Considering the eventual signing of Fitz, we're looking at the QB1, WR1, and RB1 all being essentially trash-heap pickups. I'm hopeful that their second year provides some level of coherence as to their master plan, but it's difficult to see right now.

I'm fine with all of them on offense except at QB1. The rest of them I can rationalize as making a rookie QB's job easier: left tackle, elite WR, well rounded RB who blocks and catches like a champ...these all are tremendous helps to a rookie QB. Fitz? Screw him. Hire him as a QBC and pay him $40M for all I care, but finishing 8-8 is a disaster. It may make a few games more enjoyable to watch (than going 5-11, if that would even happen), but it is not helpful.

10 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

I would gladly buy into this -- at least there is a sense of direction.  I like the limbo as a dance activity, but not as the state of my football team.  Losing a bunch a games with young guys who have high ceilings, and watching them grow together, isn't the worst thing in the world.  As it stands now, the Jets are half-pregnant.

Word. It's purgatory. Even when they were winning last year, it was a boring team. I kinda like Bowles' business-like approach, but I fear it'll cost him more sooner than later if the team takes a step back. He's on pace to get Mangini'd unless Maccagnan gets him a QB that people can be excited about. As it stands, we're the Texans, but without Nuke Hopkins.

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

well, thats your opinion and thats fine. i look at fitz as a competant qb untill something better pans out. a bridge if you will. i think the jets are eyeing a certain 1st round qb. i would never start a rookie qb,ever

Yeah, well that's just like your opinion man.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Give me Goff, three wins, some signs of life from Devin Smith, Dee Milliner, Dexter McDougle, Brent Qvale, Lorenzo Maudlin, and go into 2017 with a top three pick (hopefully not included in the trade up for Goff), and I'll take that version of Hell over the other version, wherein we win 7 games with Fitzpatrick and are sitting here 12 months from now wondering how much it would cost to buy out Dabo Swinney's contract at Clemson and if Chicago would take a third rounder in exchange for Jay Cutler.

Signs of life from Milliner. LOL

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:If he wasn't on the salary cap they could pay him $20M/year for all I care. If we draft a start-now rookie like Goff then it definitely matters what we pay him. $10-12M is just not smart in that case.

Problem is there's no guarantee the guy they want will be available on draft day. The ideal scenario would be having fitz signed to a one year deal before the draft, that way the jets don't feel pressured to draft a QB they might not be 100% sold on

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he wasn't on the salary cap they could pay him $20M/year for all I care. If we draft a start-now rookie like Goff then it definitely matters what we pay him. $10-12M is just not smart in that case.

i dont think goff is who the jets are after, but even if he is, he is not nfl ready. if he is and you pay fitz on a 2 year contract, and goff is ready after year 1. who cares about 10m? life is than great. if the ends justify the means, who cares? it means the jets overpaid a backup qb for 1 year but found the future

3 minutes ago, ylekram said:

i dont think goff is who the jets are after, but even if he is, he is not nfl ready. if he is and you pay fitz on a 2 year contract, and goff is ready after year 1. who cares about 10m? life is than great. if the ends justify the means, who cares? it means the jets overpaid a backup qb for 1 year but found the future

$7M is overpaying for a backup. $10M is overpaying a backup so much you cost yourself another starter that could have made a difference.

If we need Fitzpatrick to be his mentor then save the cap room, let Geno be the backup, and pay Fitz $10M to be the QBC. If we need a starting QB, then he can come out of "retirement" and start within 2 weeks. But nobody pays a QB $20M guaranteed and then proceeds to trade up to draft a (supposedly) starter-ready QB at the top of round 1. Nobody.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

$7M is overpaying for a backup. $10M is overpaying a backup so much you cost yourself another starter that could have made a difference.

If we need Fitzpatrick to be his mentor then save the cap room, let Geno be the backup, and pay Fitz $10M to be the QBC. If we need a starting QB, then he can come out of "retirement" and start within 2 weeks. But nobody pays a QB $20M guaranteed and then proceeds to trade up to draft a (supposedly) starter-ready QB at the top of round 1. Nobody.

we'll see sperm. i told you some time ago what i think the jets were going to do and who they are looking to draft in the 1st. the 3 top rated qb's, well none are day 1 starters. the jets are not looking for the rookie to start. forget about year 1. look at all these 1st round drafted qb's who get thrown out there day 1. now tell me how many worked out for the team that drafted them? you can believe what you want about fitz, but i got $50 that says the jets sign him. i think its a given.

18 minutes ago, ylekram said:

Why isn't Jared Goff NFL ready?

51 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My biggest disappointment with this regime so far has been the reliance on veterans at key spots and their reluctance to even entertain playing youth. Considering the eventual signing of Fitz, we're looking at the QB1, WR1, and RB1 all being essentially trash-heap pickups. I'm hopeful that their second year provides some level of coherence as to their master plan, but it's difficult to see right now.

Can we trust Bowles and Maccagnans judgement that the young talent on this team is just playing out their contracts because they're awful or no? Milliner and Mccdougle couldn't get on the field at all, while Enunwa they seemed to like.

On the contrary would the season been much different if we played Rontez Miles and Marcus Williams all year instead of paying Gilchrsist and Skrine?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It would not be a rebuilding year if we had a better QB than Fitzpatrick. They don't and won't. He will never again repeat his 2015 numbers, and we will not win 10 games with him again (not unless all our half-decent opponents continue to have key injuries during our matchups).

While our schedule will be more competitive, I still believe we have a good chance to win 10 games without it being contingent on other team's injuries.  Fitz and the offense will have another year under Gailey and Bowles so familiarity should go hand in hand with consistency.  We have improved the defense with the departure of Cro and hopefully obtain a good pass rusher.  The offense should also improve with the addition of Forte, Amaro and hopefully Devin smith contributes.   Our OL should also be better - it cant be much worse.  We will have to sweep the Bills, Fins split with Pats, beat Rams, Colts, Ravens, 49 er's, Browns.  That's 10 wins.  Pats, Cards Chiefs, Steelers,  Seahawks, Bengals....6 losses.  Of course we win a game or two we should lose and vice versa.  But 10-6 is very possible.   

37 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Can we trust Bowles and Maccagnans judgement that the young talent on this team is just playing out their contracts because they're awful or no? Milliner and Mccdougle couldn't get on the field at all, while Enunwa they seemed to like.

On the contrary would the season been much different if we played Rontez Miles and Marcus Williams all year instead of paying Gilchrsist and Skrine?

Well, they finally dumped Coples for both financial and dogging-it reasons, but Bowles's handling of the secondary was gross, IMO. Giving big money to Cro and Gilchrist and Skrine was silly, and running Skrine out there when he was clearly banged up was a head scratcher. The worst of it, obviously, was playing Cromartie, who was getting filleted every week in embarrassing fashion. What did the team gain by doing any of that? As for Enunwa, I think Gailey was given a lot of leverage to plug guys in that he wanted to see. Even Devin Smith started to bite off some PT before he got hurt. I'm more curious to see how they approach things midway through this season, knowing that Revis, Fitz, perhaps Marshall and Mangold won't be here the year after. That's what I mean by the plan being muddled. There doesn't seem to be much urgency toward a development plan even two years down the pike.

1 hour ago, ylekram said:

we'll see sperm. i told you some time ago what i think the jets were going to do and who they are looking to draft in the 1st. the 3 top rated qb's, well none are day 1 starters. the jets are not looking for the rookie to start. forget about year 1. look at all these 1st round drafted qb's who get thrown out there day 1. now tell me how many worked out for the team that drafted them? you can believe what you want about fitz, but i got $50 that says the jets sign him. i think its a given.

Your wager offer is silly, since I've said repeatedly I think we'll re-sign him. However, if it comes to pass that we draft Goff prior to signing Fitz, I don't think we'll sign him unless he agrees to an even lower contract offer. 

10 hours ago, Powpow said:

While our schedule will be more competitive, I still believe we have a good chance to win 10 games without it being contingent on other team's injuries.  Fitz and the offense will have another year under Gailey and Bowles so familiarity should go hand in hand with consistency.  We have improved the defense with the departure of Cro and hopefully obtain a good pass rusher.  The offense should also improve with the addition of Forte, Amaro and hopefully Devin smith contributes.   Our OL should also be better - it cant be much worse.  We will have to sweep the Bills, Fins split with Pats, beat Rams, Colts, Ravens, 49 er's, Browns.  That's 10 wins.  Pats, Cards Chiefs, Steelers,  Seahawks, Bengals....6 losses.  Of course we win a game or two we should lose and vice versa.  But 10-6 is very possible.   

I LOVE the enthusiasm that the Spring brings to the NY Jet Football Fandom.

I'm going to up the ante to 12 -4!

No penalties this time of year.Go Jets!

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Very few fans thought we'd have a winning record last year. Every year is different in the NFL. Will Rex lose his team? You guys all know his freewheeling ways & now he's brought in his crazy azz brother. Could be another circus in Buffalo if they start out on the wrong foot. Then look at Miami, they let a stud go in Verner & bring in a guy that literally quit on Rex. Up in Foxboro they traded their only true pass rusher outside of the LB Collins. Talk about having to win shoot outs! They have zero depth at CB if a guy like Butler goes down. QBs will have all day to survey the field vs the Pats next year (no 1st pick to save them). 

Ninkovich is a year older & has a lot of miles on his beat up hustling body. When you play for the Pats, add another season of playoff games. I see that defense playing a lot of snaps next year which as you all know adds to the injury risk when you can't get off the field. Tyrod Taylor, Tannyhill (plays very well vs Pats), Russell Wilson, Flacco always plays well vs Pats, Texans now have a QB, Big Ben, Palmer & Cards will score over 40 if they can't pressure, Dalton & Bengals can score a lot of points. Jets with Fitzy moved the ball extremely well last year & we'll definitely have an upgraded Oline & Forte and Amaro contributing.

When you evaluate an upcoming season, you also have to remember what a grind it is. Pats couldn't stay healthy last year when the D let them down & the O went into a slump with injuries. There is absolutely NO DOUBT that trading Chandler Jones will have a negative effect on their pass rush in 2016, and they are not a fast defense up front as it is. Collins & Hightower will have their hands full chasing people. Wait & see. It's going to be a long season for that defense.

49 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Hey, why not, it's better to be enthusiastic this time of year, and depressed from Sept to Jan, than to be depressed all year. ;-) 

Last year we were only truly out of 1 game (Oakland) - our other 5 losses were each by 7 points or fewer. Or putting it another way, if we scored 36 more points (in the right places) we're 15-1. (Less ludicrous - 4 more FGs or 2 more TDs against Buffalo and we're 12-4, tied w. NE, and in the playoffs).

Of course that works both ways - score 21 fewer points (in the wrong places) and we're 6-10.

Either way, it shows what awfully thin margins are actually involved between being poor, mediocre, good, and awesome.

35 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Hey, why not, it's better to be enthusiastic this time of year, and depressed from Sept to Jan, than to be depressed all year. ;-) 

Last year we were only truly out of 1 game (Oakland) - our other 5 losses were each by 7 points or fewer. Or putting it another way, if we scored 36 more points (in the right places) we're 15-1. (Less ludicrous - 4 more FGs or 2 more TDs against Buffalo and we're 12-4, tied w. NE, and in the playoffs).

Of course that works both ways - score 21 fewer points (in the wrong places) and we're 6-10.

Either way, it shows what awfully thin margins are actually involved between being poor, mediocre, good, and awesome.

Hey, all good teams win ugly. NEP is the example of that. They stay in a game even against a weaker opponent and always seem to end up pulling it out.  And you have to beat the weaker teams on your schedule to have a chance at the playoffs.You take the Ws whenever you can get them and it would be nice if your fans look at the schedule as the glass half full instead of finding excuses for winning games. Who cares anyways take those Ws and enjoy life. Why over  analyze and why do you have to  beat up our team. The strength of schedule changes every year. A team like Carolina was under .500 in 2014.

Archived