Chargers shopping the #3 pick

Integrity28

According to Alex Marvez of Fox Sports, the Eagles and Browns have set the framework for a potential trade involving the No. 2 pick.

Per Marvez, the Eagles would give up first and third round picks in 2016 and 2017. The Eagles are reportedly enamored with North Dakota State QB Carson Wentz and they'll probably have to trade up to No. 2 to get him. Then again, the Eagles have also shown keen interest in Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott, who they might be able to grab at No. 8. If the two sides can't reach an agreement, the Eagles could try trading up to No. 3. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Chargers are shopping their pick.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers are receiving "plenty of interest" from teams looking to trade up for the No. 3 overall pick.

Per Rapsheet, "the Chargers' phones are getting just as much action" as the Browns, who are known to be shopping the second pick. While the top two picks will likely be quarterbacks, anything is in play at No. 3. It's possible a team could trade up for Ole Miss LT Laremy Tunsil. The San Diego Union-Tribune recently called Tunsil a "messy fit" for the Chargers at No. 3. The Bolts could just be doing their due diligence but we wouldn't be shocked if they traded down.

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

The eagles drafting a qb after paying Bradford and their backup something around 20 mil per year combined baffles me

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%

It is clear that they don't know what they are doing?

If this is true then the eagles are straight retarded. You already have Bradford and just gave him a huge deal. Build the team around him, and shore up that abysmal offensive line their fronting. They should just stay where they are at and take Ronnie Stanley. Not that they have to worry though, cause I doubt the Rams pass on Wentz. Is bigger and has a stronger arm then Goff, while also playing in a pro style offense where he was making more reads and checks then goff was.

Just seeing if I have his right...

2 years $35M for Bradford ($22M fully guaranteed)

3 years $21M for Daniel ($12M fully guaranteed, and can make up to $15M this yr with incentives)

Loosely, $18M for Bradford + $7-15M for Daniel = $25-33M for both.

One month later, before there's been 1 OTA, they're trading this year's and next year's 1st and 3rd round picks for Wentz. 

25 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

3 years $21M for Daniel ($12M fully guaranteed, and can make up to $15M this yr with incentives)

One month later, before there's been 1 OTA, they're trading this year's and next year's 1st and 3rd round picks for Wentz. 

So they won't pick again until the fourth round this year.  I guess they feel that they have all the other pieces in place.  Hilarious.

10 minutes ago, Pcola said:

So they won't pick again until the fourth round this year.  I guess they feel that they have all the other pieces in place.  Hilarious.

And there's a million in dead cap for Sanchez lol. 

Regardless, whoever is their current 3rd stringer can't be too happy right now.

We're just working our way down the entire draft at this point. Eeryone is shopping!

I actually wouldn't mind trading up for Tunsil but only if he falls a bit further. We're not getting any value at 3. The scenario Inegrity put forward yesterday where we trade up to 5 would be realistic and I wouldn't absolutely hate it.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Jmo if the Eagles are trading up for a Qb , they have to have a trade deal with some team for one of their Qb's.( only way it makes any sense). 

Maybe the Bronco's are the team who interested in one of the Eagles Qb's ( they have boatload of picks to play with). Not to mention might be shutout from getting one of the top three Qb's in this draft.

Contract talks between Von Miller and the Bronco's isn't going well( they are so far apart in money - see Wilkerson situation with Jets.   J Elways know it's very tough to win in this league without a Qb.     Let's put it this way the Bronco's aren't winning the Afc west with Mark Sanchez as their starting Qb.( I will admit a  Von Miller trade is highly unlikely , but  Bronco's being the team willing to trade for one of the Eagles Qb is believable.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo if the Eagles are trading up for a Qb , they have to have a trade deal with some team for one of their Qb's.( only way it makes any sense). 

Maybe the Bronco's are the team who interested in one of the Eagles Qb's ( they have boatload of picks to play with). Not to mention might be shutout from getting one of the top three Qb's in this draft.

Contract talks between Von Miller and the Bronco's isn't going well( they are so far apart in money - see Wilkerson situation with Jets.   J Elways know it's very tough to win in this league without a Qb.     Let's put it this way the Bronco's aren't winning the Afc west with Mark Sanchez as their starting Qb.( I will admit a  Von Miller trade is highly unlikely , but  Bronco's being the team willing to trade for one of the Eagles Qb is believable.

I'd believe that if their QBs weren't on such outlandish contracts themselves. There's a possibility of Bradford, since $10M of Bradford's $22M guarantee was signing bonus already paid by Philadelphia. But I don't believe for a second Denver would be considering Chase Daniel: if there's one thing they're looking for it's an experienced starter, and Daniel has always been the "if he gets a shot then maybe" guy. 

Looking now, it's really not that nutty (compared to your usual stuff). Bradford's base salary is $7M. Sure the rest of his signing bonus would accelerate to this year if a trade is done before June 1, but it would still represent a net cap savings ($7M salary replaced by $5M accelerated cap hit, on top of the $5M SB cap hit that's already hitting). It's a ridiculous waste of $10M for them, but one could argue it's the means to an end. Then Daniel could be Philadelphia's interim starter. Though that would almost assuredly push his 2016$ from $7M to $15M, the difference would hit their 2017 cap since it would have to be considered NLTBE. But other than that, they get out of Bradford's contract they no longer need, Denver gets an instant+experienced starting QB for the $7M they are looking to pay, Philadelphia gets a pick back (from Denver) to cover some of the the trade-up cost for Wentz. They have their stopgap starter in Daniel, and their QB of the future in Wentz who they could start all of this year, later this year, wait until next year, or whenever he's ready. 

Pretty roundabout way of getting their franchise QB, though. But I have to admit it would fit nicely if they could swing it.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

KEEP BRINGING IN QB'S TILL YOU FIND ONE

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

KEEP BRINGING IN QB'S TILL YOU FIND ONE

Party, yes. I think it's more like they didn't imagine they'd have a shot at Wentz when they handed out those 2 contracts. At that time, I believe Goff was a marginal top 10 QB who probably would have only get taken in the top 10 because SF picked 7th and were going to dump Kaepernick, and he'd fit Kelly's prototype. But Wentz was  - 2 months ago - "the" guy, and with Cleveland and SF picking #2 and #7, it surely looked like a long shot that they even could be the highest bidder to get him.

Thing is, if they're not able to move Bradford, their team is going to be robbed of so much cap room and so many picks that they wouldn't be a real contender with Wentz until 2019. And that's if he's all they hope he is. If he's not, then they're not going to be contenders again before 2020 (if even by then) unless they find multiple pro bowlers with their later round picks. That's the other side of this coin: they could whiff on all 3 and the franchise won't have another 1st or 3rd round pick until 2018, and those players typically won't be good/great until his 2nd/3rd season anyway (2020). 

I give them points for having balls, but is it too much balls and not enough brains? Time will tell. They're really putting the entire franchise's fate (for the next 3 seasons) into the best of Bradford-Daniel-Wentz basket. 

Incidentally, the opportunity to jump up like this when the situation is there, is why I think it's stupid to pay over $10M to tread water with Fitzpatrick. As much greater enjoyment as you/I/we got from winning 10 games, in the end we'd have been better off losing 5+ of them.

If/when Goff and Wentz are gone, trading up to #3 makes no sense for another reason. Unless we're doing it literally to draft Lynch at #3, which seems more than a tad excessive for him, where would that leave us? Well, we'll get a stud player with our first round pick, but it couldn't be more obvious Maccagnan wants to draft a QB. Our next pick will be in the bottom half of round 2, and we will no longer have Mo for trade/trade-up bait. The result is we'd miss out on all 4 of Goff, Wentz, Lynch, and Cook, unless we get stupidly lucky and one of them lasts an extra round. So instead of getting 1 of those top 4, we'd end up with none of them.

Only way I can make sense of it is if Maccagnan simply has no interest in Cook or Lynch unless one of them somehow falls to us in round 2. Then he'd be able to show he got round 1 value for Mo, which enabled us to get a much better prospect at #3 than we could get at #20, and we'd still have all the rest of our picks this year and next year.

Don't know where that would leave us at QB this year, though. He'd almost assuredly have to go back to Fitzpatrick with his tail between his legs, and I'd hate to think we waited all this time to clear Mo's cap room just to fork the bulk of it over to Ryan Fitzpatrick (and then lock us into him for 2 more seasons. Ugh).

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'd believe that if their QBs weren't on such outlandish contracts themselves. There's a possibility of Bradford, since $10M of Bradford's $22M guarantee was signing bonus already paid by Philadelphia. But I don't believe for a second Denver would be considering Chase Daniel: if there's one thing they're looking for it's an experienced starter, and Daniel has always been the "if he gets a shot then maybe" guy. 

Looking now, it's really not that nutty (compared to your usual stuff). Bradford's base salary is $7M. Sure the rest of his signing bonus would accelerate to this year if a trade is done before June 1, but it would still represent a net cap savings ($7M salary replaced by $5M accelerated cap hit, on top of the $5M SB cap hit that's already hitting). It's a ridiculous waste of $10M for them, but one could argue it's the means to an end. Then Daniel could be Philadelphia's interim starter. Though that would almost assuredly push his 2016$ from $7M to $15M, the difference would hit their 2017 cap since it would have to be considered NLTBE. But other than that, they get out of Bradford's contract they no longer need, Denver gets an instant+experienced starting QB for the $7M they are looking to pay, Philadelphia gets a pick back (from Denver) to cover some of the the trade-up cost for Wentz. They have their stopgap starter in Daniel, and their QB of the future in Wentz who they could start all of this year, later this year, wait until next year, or whenever he's ready. 

Pretty roundabout way of getting their franchise QB, though. But I have to admit it would fit nicely if they could swing it.

You take a Qb top two in the draft, that Qb most likely is starting day one for that team. Chase Daniels would be that Drafted qb backup.( never see that bonus money on the bench).

Trading up to 2 or 3 to draft Elliot would baffle me even more.

I agree that would be stupid. Moving to three to draft tunsil might make sense to someone though. That's the only way it would make sense to me if you move up to draft a lt hoping that he stays healthy and fit for the next decade

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Archived