RIP Winston Hill

Integrity28

I was fortunate enough to meet him once about 10 years ago.  I was with my uncle and brother at a Sunday morning cajun brunch at Pappadeaux's restaurant in Denver.   We were sporting our Jets gear as it was gameday.

A huge man comes over and sits at our table.  " Jets fans, huh?  That's cool. Do you know who I am?"  Blank stares.  "I'm Winston Hill."  My uncle says "Oh yeah, #75, you were great!"  My brother and I weren't old enough to know an O-Lineman from the Namath years.   Chatted with us a couple of minutes and then returned to his family.  Glad we got to meet him. Nice man.  

Probably the best OL we ever had. He owned the Colts in SB III. IMO, he was clearly the MVP of that game. But it never works out that way. OL always go overlooked because they don't catch passes or run the ball. Anyway, it's an honor to have had him playing for the NYJ. Condolences to the Hill family...

32 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

tell POPS Thank you.  I barely remember HILL but I remember enough.  

Hill was drafted by the Colts but signed with the AFL Jets and was Joe's blindside tackle for his whole career.. Hill played for the Jets from 1963-1976 and played in 195 consecutive games during that span. That streak was kept alive even though he suffered a broken leg in the 1965 preseason and had his throat stepped on in 1974. He finished his long career with three games with the Rams in 1977.  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/winston-hill-member-jets-super-bowl-iii-champions-dead-74-article-1.2615681

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Hill was drafted by the Colts but signed with the AFL Jets and was Joe's blindside tackle for his whole career.. Hill played for the Jets from 1963-1976 and played in 195 consecutive games during that span. That streak was kept alive even though he suffered a broken leg in the 1965 preseason and had his throat stepped on in 1974. He finished his long career with three games with the Rams in 1977.  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/winston-hill-member-jets-super-bowl-iii-champions-dead-74-article-1.2615681

Thats great!  I cut and pasted your EXACT words for our clubs tribute to him.

Thank you!

Thank Goodness for him REX wasnt the coach. :)

https://www.facebook.com/CharlotteJetsFans/

tell POPS Thank you.  I barely remember HILL but I remember enough.  

Next time you watch a replay of SB 3, focus in on Hill.

He absolutely dominated the Colts DLine that day.

Namath called all the plays in that game, he was smart enough to run Snell and Boozer to the left all day long.

Awesome player who has never received the accolades that he deserved.

Archived