NY Jets waive Dri Archer, Claim TE Jerome Cunningham

Villain The Foe

This could be a decent indication that Jalin Marshall is probably going to make this team. 

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/jets_claim_ex-giants_te_jerome_cunningham_waive_rb.html

Jets claim ex-Giants TE Jerome Cunningham, waive RB/KR Dri Archer

Jerome Cunningham
Jerome Cunningham was claimed by the Jets soon after being waived by the Giants. (AP Photo | Seth Wenig)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 09, 2016 at 5:31 PM, updated May 09, 2016 at 5:49 PM

The Jets on Monday announced that they claimed ex-Giants tight end Jerome Cunningham off waivers, while waiving running back/kickoff returner Dri Archer. 

Cunningham, who is 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, went undrafted in 2013 and signed with the Giants in August of 2014. The Giants waived him last week. In between, he played in nine games last season and caught eight passes for 59 yards. Cunningham was mostly on the Giants' practice squad in 2014.  

In 2013, Cunningham got a tryout with the Colts at minicamp, but he didn't receive a contract offer. He was out of football during the 2013 season. Cunningham, who turns 25 later this month, played at Southern Connecticut State.

The Cunningham/Archer moves follow the Jets' announcement earlier Monday that they signed cornerback Bryson Keeton (a rookie minicamp tryout player) and waived tight end Adrien Robinson, whom the Giants drafted in Round 4 in 2012. 

The Jets signed Archer to a reserve/future contract in early February. It seemed his speed might be able to help the Jets on kickoff returns. But they apparently felt otherwise. In early April, they signed wide receiver Jeremy Ross, who can returns kickoffs and punts, which decreased their need to retain Archer. 

The Steelers drafted Archer in Round 3 in 2014. He played in 20 games for them, returned 23 kickoffs, rushed 10 times, and caught seven passes. The Steelers waived him early last November. He was out of the NFL until the Jets signed him. 

The 5-foot-8, 173-pound Archer ran the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds at the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine. He narrowly missed the record of 4.24 seconds, run by ex-Jets running back Chris Johnson in 2008. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

14 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Had high hopes for Dri Archer, can't imagine he was happy with the Robinson and Forte signings but thought he still had a good chance with his speed, guess it was too good to be true, 3rd round pick, Steelers are not in the habit of releasing players too soon...

If Dri Archer had a problem with the Forte/Robinson signings then he needed to go. No way in the world he was toughing the field as a running back on a consistent basis. He was here purely for specials. I guess Macc is assuming that its better to go with the unknown in Marshall than to risk a spot with Archer, a guy who hasnt been able to stick in the NFL. 

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This could be a decent indication that Jalin Marshall is probably going to make this team. 

https://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/05/jets_claim_ex-giants_te_jerome_cunningham_waive_rb.html

Jets claim ex-Giants TE Jerome Cunningham, waive RB/KR Dri Archer

Jerome Cunningham
Jerome Cunningham was claimed by the Jets soon after being waived by the Giants. (AP Photo | Seth Wenig)
Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on May 09, 2016 at 5:31 PM, updated May 09, 2016 at 5:49 PM

The Jets on Monday announced that they claimed ex-Giants tight end Jerome Cunningham off waivers, while waiving running back/kickoff returner Dri Archer. 

Cunningham, who is 6-foot-3 and 250 pounds, went undrafted in 2013 and signed with the Giants in August of 2014. The Giants waived him last week. In between, he played in nine games last season and caught eight passes for 59 yards. Cunningham was mostly on the Giants' practice squad in 2014.  

In 2013, Cunningham got a tryout with the Colts at minicamp, but he didn't receive a contract offer. He was out of football during the 2013 season. Cunningham, who turns 25 later this month, played at Southern Connecticut State.

The Cunningham/Archer moves follow the Jets' announcement earlier Monday that they signed cornerback Bryson Keeton (a rookie minicamp tryout player) and waived tight end Adrien Robinson, whom the Giants drafted in Round 4 in 2012. 

The Jets signed Archer to a reserve/future contract in early February. It seemed his speed might be able to help the Jets on kickoff returns. But they apparently felt otherwise. In early April, they signed wide receiver Jeremy Ross, who can returns kickoffs and punts, which decreased their need to retain Archer. 

The Steelers drafted Archer in Round 3 in 2014. He played in 20 games for them, returned 23 kickoffs, rushed 10 times, and caught seven passes. The Steelers waived him early last November. He was out of the NFL until the Jets signed him. 

The 5-foot-8, 173-pound Archer ran the 40-yard dash in 4.26 seconds at the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine. He narrowly missed the record of 4.24 seconds, run by ex-Jets running back Chris Johnson in 2008. 

Darryl Slater may be reached at dslater@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @DarrylSlater. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

They still have Ross and a few others. 

18 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

If Dri Archer had a problem with the Forte/Robinson signings then he needed to go. No way in the world he was touching the field as a running back on a consistent basis. He was here purely for specials. I guess Macc is assuming that its better to go with the unknown in Marshall than to risk a spot with Archer, a guy who hasnt been able to stick in the NFL. 

Agree 100% 

Archer was a 3rd round pick 2 years ago and reportedly declined 10 offers to join practice squads after he was released on Nov 5th.  Archer sat out the remainder of last season so I would not be surprised if his attitude had an impact on the decision.  In February, he added speed to the roster, today he is expendable, agree the roster improved but it just feels like there is more to this story

3 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Dri Archer must have some off the field baggage.  Sounds to me like a bad attitude.   Mini Percy Harvin?

he's clean, he's just tiny.  I went to a steelers board when he was cut, and they all hated him, said he ran out of bounds as fast as he could

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

One off-season move made by the New York Jets that generated some buzz among the fan base was the addition of speedy running back/kick returner Dri Archer.

Archer, a former third round pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers out of Kent St. who opened the eyes of scouts and fans by running 40 times of 4.29 and 4.28 at the combine in 2014, hadn’t found his niche in the NFL thus far.

Many Jets fans had hoped he’d find his home in Green and White with his seemingly indefensible speed, but before he strapped on his helmet for a single game, the team cut him loose to make room for former Giants tight end Jerome Cunningham.

A small-school product out of Southern Connecticut State, the 6′ 3” 250 lb Cunningham started 3 contests last season, hauling in 8 passes for 59 yards.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
fkv4BdvbSWc

Click here to read the full story...

Surprising, I think if Archer had any problems with the roster, it was the WRs picked or signed.  Peake/Anderson/Marshall probably put him on the roster bubble.  If I remember correctly, there was chatter about himbeing a WR and not a RB heading into the draft because he didn't want to get hit as much after being injured.   

I have to be honest, I don't see the point of cutting him unless he requested it.  The TE picked up seems like JAG, not sure why we would want him anyway.  

3 hours ago, win4ever said:

Surprising, I think if Archer had any problems with the roster, it was the WRs picked or signed.  Peake/Anderson/Marshall probably put him on the roster bubble.  If I remember correctly, there was chatter about himbeing a WR and not a RB heading into the draft because he didn't want to get hit as much after being injured.   

I have to be honest, I don't see the point of cutting him unless he requested it.  The TE picked up seems like JAG, not sure why we would want him anyway.  

Who the hell is Dri Archer? Seriously...the Steelers cut him! We signed Ross, grabbed Marshall, and it instantly made him expendable. Macc is a contingency guy, if he can find someone better, which he did with the UDFA Marshall, he cuts the cord. 

9 hours ago, Jetster said:

Who the hell is Dri Archer? Seriously...the Steelers cut him! We signed Ross, grabbed Marshall, and it instantly made him expendable. Macc is a contingency guy, if he can find someone better, which he did with the UDFA Marshall, he cuts the cord. 

He had potential though, his upside was better than Cunningham.  Unless we suffer from catastrophic injuries, I don't see how Cunningham makes the team, while Archer still would have competed with Marshall/Ross/Anderson.   

Archer was raw as heck, because he dominated lesser competition in college, and played multiple positions as well.  I think some team picks him up for sure, especially if they need return guys.  I don't think he's a stud, but I don't understand why make the move now for Cunningham? 

Archived