Is Jarvis Jenkins long for the Jets roster

Raideraholic

Interesting article at over the cap on projected compensatory picks for next year .http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

The Jets aren't projected at this point to have any compensation picks next year.     when you scan down the article , if Jarvis Jenkins doesn't make the roster, than the Jets get a fourth round pick for losing Snacks.   Eat 2.5 million in dead cap space.

• New York Jets: They’re stuck on a net value 7th that’s below the 32-pick limit.  The Jets signed Jarvis Jenkins to play behind a deep position with Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, and potentially Muhammad Wilkerson.  Cutting Jenkins would incur $2.25 million of dead money against the 2016 cap, but it would also put the Jets in line to pick up a 4th for Damon Harrison.

Now during the draft Mr Coffee Jets General manager said he was okay with trading a fourth in 2017( Shell)  because they would get a  similar compensatory pick back.  Only way that happens if Jarvis Jenkins isn't on the roster.

So is Jarvis Jenkins fate already sealed?

Some days I wake up and come here and I'm just like man, I can't wait to hear what a Raiders fan or Pats fan thinks about the Jets roster.

Now, while I was of the mind that this guy should have never been signed and they should have just brought back Leger Douzable, the fact of the matter is the Jets aren't cutting this guy. Why? Because if Sheldon gets suspended, they'll need him. If Wilk holds out, they'll need him. If anyone gets hurt, they'll need him. There is no current depth behind Jenkins. The only way this changes at all is if they bring back Douzable or even Bowen at a veteran's minimum before or during training camp. Cutting this guy and incurring that dead money on the cap would show that MM made a mistake. I don't think you'll see that at all.

But, you know, Raiders fans know best about Jets roster manipulations.

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Some days I wake up and come here and I'm just like man, I can't wait to hear what a Raiders fan or Pats fan thinks about the Jets roster.

Now, while I was of the mind that this guy should have never been signed and they should have just brought back Leger Douzable, the fact of the matter is the Jets aren't cutting this guy. Why? Because if Sheldon gets suspended, they'll need him. If Wilk holds out, they'll need him. If anyone gets hurt, they'll need him. There is no current depth behind Jenkins. The only way this changes at all is if they bring back Douzable or even Bowen at a veteran's minimum before or during training camp. Cutting this guy and incurring that dead money on the cap would show that MM made a mistake. I don't think you'll see that at all.

But, you know, Raiders fans know best about Jets roster manipulations.

Your Gm said he was okay with giving up a fourth round pick for shell in 2017 because he expected back a similar compensatory pick.     Only way the Jets get that is by cutting Jarvis Jenkins.( overthecap says that is the only way).

All Gm make moves that circumstances maybe turn it into a mistake.  Your Gm probably thought he was going to be able to move Muhammad Wilkerson in a trade .   Muhammad Wilkerson might hold out from training camp, but he isn't when the real season gets here.( has 15.7 million reason why).

24 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Interesting article at over the cap on projected compensatory picks for next year .http://overthecap.com/2017-compensatory-draft-picks-update-5102016/

The Jets aren't projected at this point to have any compensation picks next year.     when you scan down the article , if Jarvis Jenkins doesn't make the roster, than the Jets get a fourth round pick for losing Snacks.   Eat 2.5 million in dead cap space.

• New York Jets: They’re stuck on a net value 7th that’s below the 32-pick limit.  The Jets signed Jarvis Jenkins to play behind a deep position with Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, and potentially Muhammad Wilkerson.  Cutting Jenkins would incur $2.25 million of dead money against the 2016 cap, but it would also put the Jets in line to pick up a 4th for Damon Harrison.

Now during the draft Mr Coffee Jets General manager said he was okay with trading a fourth in 2017( Shell)  because they would get a  similar compensatory pick back.  Only way that happens if Jarvis Jenkins isn't on the roster.

Interesting that he is on record as saying that. If cutting Jenkins nets us an extra 4th I'd do it

3 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Your Gm said he was okay with giving up a fourth round pick for shell in 2017 because he expected back a similar compensatory pick.     Only way the Jets get that is by cutting Jarvis Jenkins.( overthecap says that is the only way).

All Gm make moves that circumstances maybe turn it into a mistake.  Your Gm probably thought he was going to be able to move Muhammad Wilkerson in a trade .   

Over the Cap does a great job with many things. They don't hand out compensatory picks. There is no depth at DE if something happens to the big three. Please at least do a little research if you're going to speak about something you're not familiar with.

According to the over the cap article, as long as a player is cut before week 10, he does not count in the comp pick calculation. If Sheldon serves a suspension, comes back and we have adequate depth along the DL, it could be a consideration.  From the article referenced above:

For the next few months, the most important thing to watch for with regards to 2017 compensatory picks is if any CFAs fail to make their team’s roster.  If any CFA is permanently cut from their team’s roster before Week 10, they will not qualify for the compensatory formula.  

3 minutes ago, jett said:

Maccagnan believes we will be getting comp picks so Ill take his word for it. There would be no way we cut Jenkins. 

If you believe Overthecap- the only way the Jets get compensatory pick is by cutting Jarvis Jenkins.     

52 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If you believe Overthecap- the only way the Jets get compensatory pick is by cutting Jarvis Jenkins.     

or if some other team signs Fitzpatrick today, May 12th (the last day to acquire qualified UFAs having an impact on the following year's comp poicks).  LOL

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Over the Cap does a great job with many things. They don't hand out compensatory picks. There is no depth at DE if something happens to the big three. Please at least do a little research if you're going to speak about something you're not familiar with.

Sorry, but OTC is correct about this one.  Mac miscalculated. 

39 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Sorry, but OTC is correct about this one.  Mac miscalculated. 

Sorry, but you won't know that until 2017 when the picks come out. No one knows the actual formula. The Jets aren't cutting Jarvis Jenkins. This thread is absurd.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sorry, but you won't know that until 2017 when the picks come out. No one knows the actual formula. The Jets aren't cutting Jarvis Jenkins. This thread is absurd.

OTC is as close to the actual as anyone else.  Last year they hit on almost every comp pick (just got the rounds wrong).  Whatever.. it's not the end of the world, but Mac did indeed miscalculate.  He's not perfect, after all, but I would have expected better.

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I thought I was the only one.

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

This is a nice catch.  Curiously, if we cut Jarvis Jenkins in week 5 or later, would that still give us a 4th rd compensatory?  I always believed Jenkins was picked up to cover for Richardsons suspension which will likely be the first 4 weeks.

Trade in your Raiders hat for a Jets hat, you won't regret it.

Black and silver is out of style anyway and your new stadium is going to be filled with Asian gamblers. We're so much cooler.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

According to the over the cap article, as long as a player is cut before week 10, he does not count in the comp pick calculation. If Sheldon serves a suspension, comes back and we have adequate depth along the DL, it could be a consideration.  From the article referenced above:

Bah, looks like my last post was already answered!  Very interesting.

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Maccagnan sounded pretty confident in getting a 4 as a comp pick, and this sure looks like the only way to do it. Hope Jenkins doesn't get too comfortable.

I really dont care all that much if we lose a last pick of the 4th or not, and its not even been determined yet.  Question is why would you, a Raiders fan, give a shlt and go through all that you have to figure out if we do or dont.   

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Maccagnan sounded pretty confident in getting a 4 as a comp pick, and this sure looks like the only way to do it. Hope Jenkins doesn't get too comfortable.

Then why not just bring back Douzable, which wouldn't cost anything at all except salary? They're going to cut Jenkins and have only 3 DEs? That makes zero sense here.

I definitely think Macc screwed up in free agency this year. There's no reason to go out and sign guys like Jenkins and to a lesser extent McLendon when you've got guys like Douzable who are perfectly good rotational 5 techniques and nose tackles are not at all valued at a premium. Look where Andrew Billings fell in the draft this year. Even Forte, as solid a back as he's been, is semi redundant with Powell.

As awful as Idzik was, he was all over stuff like this. Good teams don't screw up a year like this with multiple legit UFA's they can't afford who are going to walk. Particularly when it comes to bringing in friggen rotational defensive linemen and running backs. They essentially traded a future 4, 5, and 6 in addition to cap space for Forte, McClendon, and Jenkins. And not that I love Fitzpatrick, but there's like $10m in cap space to get him signed as well. I realize they kind of plug needs, but re-sign Douzable, let a late draft pick (there were plenty of good backs who slipped) or UDFA RB be third behind Powell who was great last year and Robinson who is a competent grinder back, and figure something out at NT like you did when the former UDFA Harrison stepped in for Pouha sign someone late. You're just bringing in a two down player.

I was very into the idea of a football guy as the GM and I still love Bowles, but Maccagnan has me worried. Besides the obvious mistakes when it comes to compensatory picks you've got a generally quiet FO somehow letting their second round QB target (who's got some massive question marks) leak out. To the extent that they really wanted him they also just sat there and let his former college coach trade up over them which could have easily been to draft their guy at quarterback. Maybe he can clean up the comp pick mistake by cutting Jenkins, but if he goes that route that's $2.5m in cap space he completely blew. The Fitzpatrick situation may work itself out and I'm glad they're digging their heels in to an extent but that could easily blow up in their faces. Wilkerson has been completely and utterly mishandled. The entire offense is essentially built around the fact that there are two really good wide receivers who open things up for each other and everyone else. Neither is a spring chicken either, particularly Marshall who really made the offense run last year. And yet there has been minimal effort to ensure that there is quality depth at the position both now in case of injury (plus, the offense runs 3 and 4 wide sets more than basically any other offense in the league) or in the future. Who is going to start at outside linebacker? Is it a rookie in Jenkins and a first year starter in Mauldin? What if Jenkins didn't slip to the third round? And last offseason, as fun as it was to sign a bunch of guys, featured some pretty bad signings. Cromartie just ate up a bunch of cap space, Revis will be a bad contract in a year or two, and I'm sure Harris has some kind of value in the locker room but he's way overpaid. I'm sure there's a lot more. And that's not to say he hasn't done some good things. But man some of the stuff is very unsettling.

4 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Then why not just bring back Douzable, which wouldn't cost anything at all except salary? They're going to cut Jenkins and have only 3 DEs? That makes zero sense here.

Beats me. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that we'll carry Jenkins all year and get no comp picks, resulting in some great "lol who even cares, comp picks are gay GO BIG MACC" conversations next spring.

Just now, dbatesman said:

Beats me. If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that we'll carry Jenkins all year and get no comp picks, resulting in some great "lol who even cares, comp picks are gay GO BIG MACC" conversations next spring.

Tom Brady was a comp pick, so that actually makes sense.

1 minute ago, Mainejet said:

Mac sucks and he's personally flushing this team down the toilet.

You don't like this team. Because if you did then you wouldn't be so quick to post negitive things. We are all holding our breath but we see the good in what Mac has done. I could tell from first vibes that Mac was professional and we finally had a good one. Just because he does some things that you don't like...which by the way your opinion doesn't matter..but just because he does some things you don't like doesn't mean he is running anything into the ground. I wish posters like you would just find new teams if you forever are going to bitch about what the Jets do as a unit. Find a team that suits your way of thinking better. How about the Browns? Maybe the Titans?

4th rounds don't typically get cut in their rookie years... Sure Saunders did but they'd a rarity. Especially when our pick was lauded.  I think this guy will be a steal for us and there's talk of cutting him? Come on

Edit: 3rd round! And wow I'm stupid didn't realize I mixed up Jarvis and Jordan. My apologies 

6 minutes ago, jett said:

4th rounds don't typically get cut in their rookie years... Sure Saunders did but they'd a rarity. Especially when our pick was lauded.  I think this guy will be a steal for us and there's talk of cutting him? Come on

Jenkins was drafted in the third round and he isn't talking about our rookie OLB. That's Jarvis Jenkins. He's talking about Jarvis Jones.. The back up DE we signed. He has to be. This is the most idiotic post ever lol.???

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I really dont care all that much if we lose a last pick of the 4th or not, and its not even been determined yet.  Question is why would you, a Raiders fan, give a shlt and go through all that you have to figure out if we do or dont.   

I hope that MacDaddy put wording into the trade that would give Washington the lowest 4th rd. pick the Jets have. This way they get an end of the 4th Comp pick and we get to keep our middle round 4th for finishing 7-9 with Geno.

As far as cutting Jenkins.... if they're able to get 8/9 games before cutting him, at least we got some value for that Dead Money.

Or we could trade him at some point in the season for a 6th or 7th AND still get the Comp!!

7 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I hope that MacDaddy put wording into the trade that would give Washington the lowest 4th rd. pick the Jets have. This way they get an end of the 4th Comp pick and we get to keep our middle round 4th for finishing 7-9 with Geno.

As far as cutting Jenkins.... if they're able to get 8/9 games before cutting him, at least we got some value for that Dead Money.

Or we could trade him at some point in the season for a 6th or 7th AND still get the Comp!!

Pretty sure if he's on the opening day roster then it cancels out the pick (even if he's cut 1 day later).

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Douzable would have cost net $150K on the cap (over having nobody) and zero draft picks.

If he signed the veteran minimum 1 yr deal he'd get $760K salary plus up to $80K in bonus ($840K total compensation), but his cap number would be only $600K. The NFL put this into place so veterans would get paid without teams worrying about the extra money eating up more cap than a UDFA rookie. The minimum for an UDFA rookie is $450K. So signing Douzable would push that 51st ($450K) salary down to salary #52, removing it from the team's cap charges and replacing that with Douzable's $600K. True net cap charge is $150K.

Naturally if we signed him instead of Jarvis it would be a 7-figure net savings rather than a net charge. 

Archived