The Conversation Has Changed ...

KRL

3 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Yup.  Fitz is hanging out relaxing and looking for big money, while Geno is practicing with the team and even working with some of the NFL's best WRs when free.

The writing is on the wall.  Has been for months now.  It's Geno time!  :thumbup:

My preference: Play Geno (I never thought I could type those words) and sign Mo.  If Geno sucks again, the team could be getting a very high draft pick so you keep trying.. 

What I think they will do: Sign Fitz sometime in July. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My preference: Play Geno (I never thought I could type those words) and sign Mo.  When Geno sucks again, the team could be getting a very high draft pick so you keep trying.. 

Fixed

46 minutes ago, ljr said:

I'm one of those ... The best the Jets should hope for in 2016 is to ride out close to the same at QB ... If they do that they certainly can make it into the dance & anything can happen then!

Fitz is the least bad option for this ... Geno is the worst possibility out there & is only in play as a negotiation tactic against Fitz & his agent.

You're smoking crack if you think fitz is going to lead this team to a super bowl. you can't make this stuff up :lol:

2 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Good post.  But I personally hate that they've announced that they're holding the starting job for Fitz.  Why are they doing this? It certainly can't help them with the negotiations. Perhaps it's a motivational ploy to keep Geno on edge?       

I agree with your point, it was very bad bargaining from the beginning the way they handled Fitz considering who his agent is.  It has nothing to do with smith.  If smith isn't on edge right now, knowing they really don't want him, he'll never be

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Ever since the team "leaked" the contract offer I was expecting this and
here it is:

Bowles on the Fitzpatrick negotiations: "There is a ticking clock. You have
time until you don't have time."

Fitzpatrick better realize he's urinating away a huge opportunity

The recent article that said Fitz is banking on Geno to make his case. I believe that is true. Fitz thinks the FO is not dumb enough to go into the regular season with Geno as their starter. Fitz knows if Geno is the starter, the Jets season goes to sh*t and the FO is in danger of losing their jobs. It's that simple. Fitz is asking for too much money, but if the FO gets dumb, they will screw themselves. Just saying...

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

To me, the tea leaves are basically saying Fitzpatrick can show up to the Meadowlands Week 1 five minutes before kickoff still drunk and would still be named starter.

Yeah, not that. 

46 minutes ago, Mainejet said:

The recent article that said Fitz is banking on Geno to make his case. I believe that is true. Fitz thinks the FO is not dumb enough to go into the regular season with Geno as their starter. Fitz knows if Geno is the starter, the Jets season goes to sh*t and the FO is in danger of losing their jobs. It's that simple. Fitz is asking for too much money, but if the FO gets dumb, they will screw themselves. Just saying...

And the FO is banking on Geno to show improvement and still keep the Fitz signing talks on a leash. Geno will beat out Fitz any day in a true competition, like he did last off season. Anyone that can't see the steady improvement (from year 1 to first half of year 2 to 2nd half of year 3) in Geno, is a blind Fitznut. 

Firz is garbage. The same garbage that couldn't beat an already deflated and depleted Bills average secondary with the leagues best WR duo n a top 5 D.

"Oh but the Revis cushion tho..." Bla bla bla. 

3 hours ago, ljr said:

Not bad ... Except there is no merit to starting Geno ... If Fitz doesn't get resolved by early TC then a vet scrub will be brought in to start instead of Geno

Except you can count on Geno starting if Fitz doesn't get resolved. 

Theres little chance late in TC they can find a viable vet QB and get him acclimated in the system in time to start. 

7 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

It's a dangerous game of chicken for both sides

Disagree... It's a dangerous game of chicken for Fitz and him alone. We don't need him. It's not even clear if we'd be better of worse without him. 

He's playing chicken with himself. F em. He's starting to annoy me now... And he has zero room or right to annoy any of us. He's a frikkin choker. FK his contract. 

4 hours ago, ljr said:

I'm one of those ... The best the Jets should hope for in 2016 is to ride out close to the same at QB ... If they do that they certainly can make it into the dance & anything can happen then!

Fitz is the least bad option for this ... Geno is the worst possibility out there & is only in play as a negotiation tactic against Fitz & his agent.

I am very torn. Even when Genope went in when Fitz broke his hand, he pissed me off and I swore I never wanna see the sack of shet again. 

Yet now, fvckin FITZ is making us look like losers and making things a pain in the arse and he's pissing me off. 

I wanted him to come back but for not a penny more than 8M which I still think is too much. I would be happy with 7M by the weekend. 

But if this SOB isn't there for DAY ONE of TC, and signed the day before, I STRONGLY HOPE Mac tells him, sorry, no deal, f off we moved on without your choking loser arse. 

8 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

In all likelihood Fitz would only be here one more year.

And we have ZERO chance of winning a super bowl with or without him.

Seems obvious to me that it's Geno time

Exactly. 

We need to find a solidqb for the future. Fitz cant be that. Geno, because of his age, could be but history has shown that to be unlikley.

Still, seems to me that the best thing the jets can do is use this year to give geno his final opportunity. We could get lucky u never know otherwise keep drafting and keep trying to make fa deals 

9 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's June. We are a ways away for the clock to be ticking. 

True

Im thinking there is already a verbal agreement between the two sides, and the Jets want to evaluate the 3 QBs there now without adding a fourth at this juncture.

1 minute ago, Better2bgreenthanblue said:

Letting fans influence the depth chart is so Woody. Next he will install voting pads at the stadium. Push 1 for milliner, 2 for Williams, push 1 for Tampa 2 or .....

Now that'd be really damn fun at games.

9 hours ago, YankeeJet22 said:

Good post.  But I personally hate that they've announced that they're holding the starting job for Fitz.  Why are they doing this? It certainly can't help them with the negotiations. Perhaps it's a motivational ploy to keep Geno on edge?       

Anything else would make no sense.  They have an offer on the table for borderline starter money.  I makes zero sense to be having such conversations with anyone but the presumptive 2016 starter.

8 hours ago, ljr said:

Not bad ... Except there is no merit to starting Geno ... If Fitz doesn't get resolved by early TC then a vet scrub will be brought in to start instead of Geno

Lol Geno beat out your mate Fitz last off season n it wasn't even close. 

11 hours ago, ljr said:

Hahahahahahahahah ... What a little s*$$y answer!

2016 is soo much of a harder schedule Brother Bluto !!! .... Equaling the best numbers ever by a NYJ QB is going to knock us from 10 wins down to only 6 or 7 .

Geno has choked way before playoffs are a sniff in his daddy's jockstrap since the green-room of the NFL draft ... All the way to 6 minutes left & then again with 4 minutes left vs the raiders last year ... He has done nothing but choke it his entire NFL career

image.jpeg

If this is true, then whats the difference between Geno and Fitz? You're putting it all out on the table for a QB that's played only 2 seasons while not saying a word about the player you're defending (Best numbers as a NYJ QB) that choked when 15 mins away from a playoff birth. Same guy who's more than doubled Geno's career, time wise in the league, and like Geno....never been to the playoffs. 

Kinda like sticking pencils in your nose. 

9 hours ago, shuler82 said:

If these are my two options:

A: Battling for a wildcard with Fitz. Push $10+ million onto the the 2017 cap

B: Hope for .500 with Geno, maybe see Petty or Hack, no future cap ramifications.

Sadly, I'm beginning to lean towards B. It's hard to justify giving a journeyman QB that kind of money with the lack of cap space we have this year and beyond. We've drafted 3 QBs in 4 years.. Time to see what they can do.

It's impossible to battle for a wildcard with Geno? It surely shouldnt be. Its like its some sort of lock that we will be battling for a wildcard spot with Fitz yet Fitz never had as many wins as Geno's rookie season leading up to last year. He won 10 games with that 10 year history. 

Why cant Geno do the same? He will have arguably a better team than the Jets had last season. Sure, this is an incredibly hard schedule this year, but last year was an incredibly easy schedule and Fitz couldnt get it done. 

10 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Goes to show you what they really think if Geno.   No matter what posters here will scream from the rafters. 

I just wish the Jets would offer Fitz a contract like what Revis signed with the pats and get it over with.  If Fitz won't sign that deal then see ya.   

The Jets don't want Fitzpatrick for one season, they want him for three. It's not that they're enamored with his abilities on the football field, it's his intangibles they want around. They want him to be an example to and help mentor Hackenberg and maybe Petty. They want him to stabilize the QB position as a reliable backup for a few years. 

Because if the Jets sign Fitz to a one year deal (which the Pats' Revis deal basically was), they likely cut Bryce Petty. Carrying four QBs is highly unusual, and many teams only carry two. Maybe they'll carry him on their practice squad, and maybe someone else will snatch him up. That leaves them in 2017 with Fitz cut, Geno's contract expired, and Hackenberg as the only QB on the roster. That would put them in a position where they have to sign a vet and draft yet another QB. They don't want that. 

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

If Fitzpatrick doesn't come back than look for another veteran Qb to be brought in . ( Nick Foles).  That Qb might be the Jets starting Qb this year. Time is running out for Fitzpatrick because they need to get that veteran Qb up to speed fast.

Jmo I can't see the Jets going with Geno Smith as their starting Qb , especially with that brutal schedule to open the season.( could be throwing away the season right off the bat).

But you can see Nick Foles and Ryan Fitzpatrick? SMH

7 hours ago, Mainejet said:

Fitz is banking on the wrong thing then. Geno was beating Fitz out last offseason. I think its more of FItz not wanting to go into camp being directly compared to Geno (again) and have reporters come away (again) saying that Geno looked noticeably better than Fitz. 

5 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

I am very torn. Even when Genope went in when Fitz broke his hand, he pissed me off and I swore I never wanna see the sack of shet again. 

Yet now, fvckin FITZ is making us look like losers and making things a pain in the arse and he's pissing me off. 

I wanted him to come back but for not a penny more than 8M which I still think is too much. I would be happy with 7M by the weekend. 

But if this SOB isn't there for DAY ONE of TC, and signed the day before, I STRONGLY HOPE Mac tells him, sorry, no deal, f off we moved on without your choking loser arse. 

He pissed you off because the moment he stepped on the field you had nothing but pessimistic thoughts so the moment he did something that you deemed "negative" it only solidified your thoughts on him that you had before he even stepped on the field. 

Its like how fans kill Geno for running out of bounds and taking the sack (bad play) but never talk about how he converted that 4th and 19 to Eric Decker to nullify the mistake. There are aspects to his game that he needs work on. The pessimism is what keeps people from even seeing the fact that he didnt have a bad Raiders game. He was simply cold and didnt have chemistry.....a comfort zone. 

I look and watch Jets fans clamor for Ryan Fitzpatrick. How f'ing desperate is this fanbase right now? Sh*t is embarrassing. 

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Pretty much.  Even as a guy who prefers Fitz, I can't believe how incredibly patient the Jets are being with this whole thing.  He's not even under contract, but he's still: 

- Considered as the starter as soon as he returns

- Has his locker kept vacant for his return

- Just got a public endorsement from Revis

- A public comment from the HC that there is no deadline on a deal.   They're willing to continue waiting.

Crazy.

This is true. It's obvious that they prefer Fitzpatrick. 

But the flip side here is that the Jets haven't altered their offer for months. They're not negotiating with Fitzpatrick, they made an offer and are seemingly continuing to tell him to take it or leave it. Sign on their terms, or don't. If they loved Fitz, they'd've negotiated a compromise contract a long time ago. They don't love Fitz. They simply prefer him. And I don't think they're all that scared of going into the season with Geno, either. Again, if they were, they'd've either signed Fitz or another QB by now. 

At the end of the day, I don't expect the Jets to amend their offer, and I do expect Fitz to sign it. Probably right around the eve of training camp. Because whatever his bruised ego is telling him about the insulting nature of three years of indentured servitude at $8M/per, it's the best deal he's likely to get for the rest of his NFL career. Somewhere in his allegedly smart head, he knows this. 

This ******* team.

Watch us wait till a few weeks before the start of the season to finally come to terms.  Bowles hands Fitz a completely unearned starting job and its a disaster.

Because you know and I know this is going to happen.  Why?  The Jets. 

12 minutes ago, slats said:

This is true. It's obvious that they prefer Fitzpatrick. 

But the flip side here is that the Jets haven't altered their offer for months. They're not negotiating with Fitzpatrick, they made an offer and are seemingly continuing to tell him to take it or leave it. Sign on their terms, or don't. If they loved Fitz, they'd've negotiated a compromise contract a long time ago. They don't love Fitz. They simply prefer him. And I don't think they're all that scared of going into the season with Geno, either. Again, if they were, they'd've either signed Fitz or another QB by now. 

At the end of the day, I don't expect the Jets to amend their offer, and I do expect Fitz to sign it. Probably right around the eve of training camp. Because whatever his bruised ego is telling him about the insulting nature of three years of indentured servitude at $8M/per, it's the best deal he's likely to get for the rest of his NFL career. Somewhere in his allegedly smart head, he knows this. 

I've stated numerous times that I believe Bowles wants Fitz back more than the Front Office.  And the main reason he wants him back is for continuity...  

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

This ******* team.

Watch us wait till a few weeks before the start of the season to finally come to terms.  Bowles hands Fitz a completely unearned starting job and its a disaster.

Because you know and I know this is going to happen.  Why?  The Jets. 

I'd be truly pissed and disappointed if that happened. 

5 hours ago, Hitman Harris said:

Disagree... It's a dangerous game of chicken for Fitz and him alone. We don't need him. It's not even clear if we'd be better of worse without him. 

He's playing chicken with himself. F em. He's starting to annoy me now... And he has zero room or right to annoy any of us. He's a frikkin choker. FK his contract. 

This has pretty much been my position all along. This idea that the team has a chance to make a super bowl run with Fitz, and the same team will be in position for a high draft pick with Geno is completely absurd to me. I really wouldn't expect much, if any, difference in the team's wins and losses no matter which QB they go with. I think Geno will make more mistakes, but is also capable of making more big plays. Fitzpatrick is the better game manager at this point in his career, but if the Jets are down by four points with two minutes left on their own 20, I'd rather roll the dice with Geno to win it than watch Fitzpatrick struggle to get to the 50. 

Geno improved in his second year in virtually every statistical category despite having the team completely dismantled around him, a team that was completely dysfunctional from very the top on down. Now, I don't expect him to be the long term answer at all, but I'm really not afraid to go into the season with him as the starter, see what he can do in a much more stable environment, with an improved roster on both sides of the ball, in his second year in Gailey's offense. Save that $15M guaranteed for someone good. 

29 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its like how fans kill Geno for running out of bounds and taking the sack (bad play) but never talk about how he converted that 4th and 19 to Eric Decker to nullify the mistake. There are aspects to his game that he needs work on. The pessimism is what keeps people from even seeing the fact that he didnt have a bad Raiders game. He was simply cold and didnt have chemistry.....a comfort zone. 

Joe Montana leading the Jets wasn't going to beat the Raiders that day.  The whole team sucked...

2 hours ago, BUM-KNEE said:

True

Im thinking there is already a verbal agreement between the two sides, and the Jets want to evaluate the 3 QBs there now without adding a fourth at this juncture.

I get that its a 24 hour news cycle with the league now...but we're not even close to camp. These practices right now are meaningless except for the rookies.

10 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I've stated numerous times that I believe Bowles wants Fitz back more than the Front Office.  And the main reason he wants him back is for continuity...  

I'd agree with that. 

And people who think that maybe Woody is involved in screwing up the negotiation with Fitzpatrick have it all wrong, IMHO. If anything, Woody isn't letting Maccagnan just part ways with Fitzpatrick. Geno gets a lot of hate from the fans, something I'm sure the owner is well aware of. Signing Fitz is the chicken move, the one that pacifies the most fans. Best thing that could happen for the front office would be for Fitz to take less money elsewhere to spite them (as Mannish once suggested he might). That way, the Jets' hands are clean: they made the best offer, but Fitz chose to go elsewhere. Nothing they could do about it. 

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Joe Montana leading the Jets wasn't going to beat the Raiders that day.  The whole team sucked...

Team didn't suck until Geno stepped on the field,you have to wonder if that is a coincidence thing or a confidence thing. The air got sucked out of that team as soon as Fitz got hurt.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Team didn't suck until Geno stepped on the field,you have to wonder if that is a coincidence thing or a confidence thing. The air got sucked out of that team as soon as Fitz got hurt.

The air got sucked out of that team when their chartered plane landed.  That game was on the coaches, not on Geno...

Archived