Wilkerson deal; what does this say about Macc & front office?

Paradis

Dan Graziano of ESPN reports the Jets have created $5.7 million in new cap space with Muhammad Wilkerson's new contract.

So the Jets save $5.701 million on this year's cap with Wilkerson deal. Makes a 1-yr deal for Fitzpatrick possible, if they want.

Wilkerson was previously set to count $15.7 million against the cap had he played on the franchise tag.

Functionally speaking, this could save a player like Breno Giacomini or Nick Folk from being cut if the Jets do re-sign Fitzpatrick. It also could open the door for a veteran cap signing if the Jets do not bring out Fitzpatrick. That probably would have been off the table without the new deal for Wilkerson.

Obviously, with the short-term cap savings, the Jets have added big cap hits onto future seasons with the new contract for Wilkerson.

Hat tip to GGN's Holdout for directing us to this tweet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it takes two to tango, we will never know whats mo's camp was demanding.  this dance basically went down the last minute of the deadline so both sides were willing to take a chance that their position was right and let the chips falls where they may

in a perfect world the deal would have gotten done last season, but it got done.

this is the player the jets would have traded or let get away in the past, so who cares about the numbers, we kept a star player !!!!!

32 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Believe me I don't count them. But in the press (which means the entire NFL fan base) and among Jets players there is a Qb controversy. I'm not sure it's going to be settled intelligently. So far mishandled. 

Will agree to disagree 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

I hope Mac holds firm with his offer to Fitz now and doesn't end up over paying to bring him back.

I hope Mac finally pulls the NEEDLESSLY generous contract offer OFF the table ASAP.

If Fitz wants to start, he can take $6 - 8 million.  Not $12.  ANd even that is more than he will get from any of the other 31 teams. 

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo ( could be wrong) Only thing that makes sense what happened with signing Wilkerson, is the Jets know something about Sheldon Richardson that we aren't aware of right now.     I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon Richardson failed another drug test( facing a 10 game suspension).  IT's in the appeal stage right now, and won't hear about it till that process is finished.( league will announce it at that point).

Stop making shit up or we will have to ban you. This is garbage.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It says we dicked around with our best player for a year and a half before finally doing the right thing at the last possible second.

You don't know that.  This is a business.  This stuff happens all the time and maybe it was the other side with the more unreasonable offer.  The point is that you have no idea which side was dicking around with the other (or both, as I expect).  None. Zero.  You knew less than Cimini and less than Mehta, who both knew nothing as we learned yesterday.

Just now, drdetroit said:

Tanny and Bradway would have destroyed our cap giving Wilk a $200 million deal. Idzik would have traded him for a 7th Rd pick

Agreed ... Love BigMac so far

was just making sure you weren't putting your recollection of Parcell's the GM in Canton just yet (although I guess technically he is there ;)  )

6 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Jmo ( could be wrong) Only thing that makes sense what happened with signing Wilkerson, is the Jets know something about Sheldon Richardson that we aren't aware of right now.     I wouldn't be surprised if Sheldon Richardson failed another drug test( facing a 10 game suspension).  IT's in the appeal stage right now, and won't hear about it till that process is finished.( league will announce it at that point).

Rumor has it Derek Carr failed one too... brace yourself,

Mac is getting a lot of adulation here. Because our fan base loves big time moves and doesn't like small time players (ie Fitz). Fitz doesn't have the kind of profile some of these guys respect: like a big time arm, usually a top draft pick, a franchise Qb, etc.. I'm sure if Mac could make a deal for Drew Brees they'd build a shrine for him. 

Nice that the Jets did not trip over their dicks bidding against themselves.  It's a free market system and other teams had a shot at Mo.  The market has spoken.  He is getting paid what he is worth as one of the better 3-4 DE's --  nothing more, nothing less. 

5 minutes ago, Il Mostro said:

Nice that the Jets did not trip over their dicks bidding against themselves.  It's a free market system and other teams had a shot at Mo.  The market has spoken.  He is getting paid what he is worth as one of the better 3-4 DE's --  nothing more, nothing less. 

Wish I had that problem!

And to your point.... it was a fair deal for both sides and the way the money is laid out again gives us flexibility moving forward with SR and the possibility of making a trade.

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac is getting a lot of adulation here. Because our fan base loves big time moves and doesn't like small time players (ie Fitz). Fitz doesn't have the kind of profile some of these guys respect: like a big time arm, usually a top draft pick, a franchise Qb, etc.. I'm sure if Mac could make a deal for Drew Brees they'd build a shrine for him. 

Seriously? There aren't enough threads on the board to whine about Fitzpatrick, so you have to whine here, too? Holy crap. 

Since Mac arrived he has brought a professional atmosphere to the front office. He gave us fans a team that got us excited beyond many of our expectations last season. I for one had concerns due to our cap situation if he could continue that excitement and in my opinion he has. Looking forward to this season and another exciting ride. I realize many are concerned about the schedule, but he is building for the future and not just the present. Fellow JET fans get on board and lets enjoy this ride. Also if you are Geno or a Fitz fan know he will be doing what he feels will give the JETS the best opportunity to win. So far this is exactly what he and his team has done.

Seems like most of us are on the same page. The front office is wonderfully competent for a change -- and blissfully private at that too.

So far they check all the boxes. We're talking utopia... Except the QB situation. That's the ultimate test by which they'll be judged. I can't say see the big picture there but, Macc continues to buy real estate in the trust department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's just that after failing to secure a trade for Mo - a trade that wouldn't get him killed in the press - he saw how this was going to play out. Mo was going to play one more year for the Jets, after which he'd lose Mo for nothing. Maybe a late 3rd round comp pick in 2018 if the Jets stayed away from true UFAs in 2017.

Say, for argument's sake, the top offer he got was a 2nd rounder. In the absence of locking him up long term, turning that down would have effectively traded a 2nd round pick to rent 1 more year of Mo at $16M, while they already also have Richardson and Williams on the team. That would be just horrid expenditure of the team's resources. 

The only options where he wouldn't look like a 100% asshat is to lock him up long term or to trade him for what would be considered acceptable value (and do something worthwhile with that newly acquired value, like he tried to get in trading up for Wentz/Goff). Since the latter wasn't happening, making this last-minute offer to Mo was Maccagnan's only other non-fail option.

35 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

A shot at what?

Pats will have the AFCE wrapped up by Thanksgiving, just like they always do.

Probably Belichick would have traded Wilk and not paid him the 17 mil. It's obvious that Chandler Jones would have been demanding a contract like this next year. But getting rid of impact players can come back to bite you. Even though I agree with the philosophy of the Patriot Way. They are smart enough to get away with it but not good enough to win championships every year. They have lost their share of playoff games. I don't think you're wrapping anything up by Thanksgiving this year. Unless some of your rookies and new players come through big time. I don't really see great talent this year on NEP. I think we can compete with you. Maybe Christmas but not Thanksgiving. You are the clear favorite right now but that could change. There were many big surprises last season. Like Carolina and even us.

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac is getting a lot of adulation here. Because our fan base loves big time moves and doesn't like small time players (ie Fitz). Fitz doesn't have the kind of profile some of these guys respect: like a big time arm, usually a top draft pick, a franchise Qb, etc.. I'm sure if Mac could make a deal for Drew Brees they'd build a shrine for him

Please....... please.......remember if you can that you are a Jets fan and NOT just a Fitz fan.

You are putting a negative spin on this extension???????????

The idea that you can't see, as evidenced by your own Post, the difference between say resigning a journeyman QB in Fitz and a first ballot HOF player in Drew Brees is really quite revealing and shows at some level just how delusional some of your posts have been...

Come on now you are better than this.....

10 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Still whichever way it goes it's way too long. And created the one thing all teams don't want: a QB controversy. 

In your Fitz starved mind there is a  QB controversy.  Nowhere else.  There can't be a QB controversy if there's one QB.

Probably Belichick would have traded Wilk and not paid him the 17 mil. It's obvious that Chandler Jones would have been demanding a contract like this next year. But getting rid of impact players can come back to bite you. Even though I agree with the philosophy of the Patriot Way. They are smart enough to get away with it but not good enough to win championships every year. They have lost their share of playoff games. I don't think you're wrapping anything up by Thanksgiving this year. Unless some of your rookies and new players come through big time. I don't really see great talent this year on NEP. I think we can compete with you. Maybe Christmas but not Thanksgiving. You are the clear favorite right now but that could change. There were many big surprises last season. Like Carolina and even us.

Good post Rangers9, pretty much agree with everything you said.

I don't think there is another team in the league that gets rid of very good players sooner rather than later.

Milloy, McGinst, Law, Seymour and Chandler.

None of those moves have hurt the Pats.

1 hour ago, PatsFanTX said:

A shot at what?

Pats will have the AFCE wrapped up by Thanksgiving, just like they always do.

And if they don't you'll dick around telling everyone they didn't want to.  Or need to, unimportant, just like last season

33 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Taking me out of context again!!'?

Tell us how Belichick and the Pstroot way you admire so much would have handled the Fitz contract negotiations. 

Talk about not wanting to create hard feelings, he dumps on his players while you shlt over a 12 mil offer or a 8 mil raise

32 minutes ago, PatsFanTX said:

Good post Rangers9, pretty much agree with everything you said.

I don't think there is another team in the league that gets rid of very good players sooner rather than later.

Milloy, McGinst, Law, Seymour and Chandler.

None of those moves have hurt the Pats.

Didn't he actually pay Seymour (he was one of the few) and later traded him to the Raiders and got a 1st round pick. But was the Chandler Jones deal worth it. He got a 2nd round pick and an O/lineman who is considered a bust. And could have had Jones in 2016 at reasonable pay. And then let him walk but with no compensation. As for the Jets philosophy I don't know if there is a philosophy. Between Revis and Wilk that's like 22% of our cap space. 

Archived