Geno Opens up About IK Punch

AFJF

http://nypost.com/2016/08/09/geno-smith-opens-up-year-after-punch-life-defining-moment/

Thursday marks the one-year anniversary from when Geno Smith’s life was forever altered.

On Aug. 11, 2015, Smith was in the Jets locker roomwhen then-teammate IK Enemkpali punched Smith, breaking his jaw and costing him his starting quarterback job.

“It feels like 10 years, 20 years,” Smith said Tuesday, when asked about the one-year mark.

What led up to the punch depends on whom you ask. What has happened since then can’t be disputed. Smith, who was expected to be the Jets’ starter for the third straight season, went to the bench. Ryan Fitzpatrick seized his opportunity, leading the team to a 10-6 record, and then re-signed on the eve of training camp, pushing Smith back to the bench. Smith’s career, which had some promising moments in its first two years along with some struggles, was derailed.

Smith does not like talking about the Enemkpali situation, trying his best to move past it. He made an exception Tuesday for several reporters who wanted to get his thoughts on the anniversary. Smith said he did not realize it had been a year until a reporter told him that.

“I don’t think about it,” he said. “It was a crazy situation, a life-defining moment. It could go one of two ways – it could make you or it could break you. It hasn’t broken me. It won’t break me ever. A situation like that won’t change my demeanor or my attitude. I know who I am. I know what I can do. I’m just trusting my instincts. I know I’ll get back in there. I just have to stay focused and keep believing and working hard and when I do, I’ll be ready for it.”

The 25-year-old Smith appears to have matured over the past year. His teammates and coaches say it, and you can tell from his public comments that he has a different outlook.

Smith spent this offseason running the first team while Fitzpatrick remained unsigned. When Fitzpatrick signed the night before camp started, Smith knew it meant he was back on the bench. The next day he told reporters that he was “pissed off.” Not at anyone, but at the situation because he wants to play. Smith said Tuesday that feeling remains.

“It’s been fuel to me every day. I’m still pissed off,” Smith said. “That’s not going to change until I get back into the saddle. I do have an understanding that it’s a team game. You do have to be respectful of your coaches and your teammates and you’ve also got to support them. That’s what I’ve been doing, all the while still progressing myself.”

Smith said he has been a starter his entire football life, so sitting on the bench has been an adjustment. He leans on his friends and family for support.

“Can I sit here and say it’s not tough? Of course it’s tough,” Smith said. “Sometimes I hate it. Sometimes it sucks. But the one thing I do is I stay focused. I don’t let my circumstances dictate my attitude. I try and be the same guy no matter what. Up or down, good or bad, I try to stay level-headed.”

Smith is eager to play Thursday night in the preseason opener against the Jaguars at MetLife Stadium. Jets coach Todd Bowles has not revealed how much each quarterback will play, but Smith will probably play the majority of the first half after Fitzpatrick and the starters get a series or two. Smith only played in one game in 2015 – in Oakland after Fitzpatrick injured his left thumb.

It has been a bumpy year for Smith, who admits it took a while after the punch for him to figure out that he had to make the best of it.

“It really did take me some time to get to this level-headedness because I’m so competitive,” Smith said. “I hate the fact that I’m not able to go out there and compete with my teammates to win championships. I’ve been doing that my entire life. I’ve been leading the way my entire life. To take a step back is kind of abnormal for me. It’s still a good thing. You can still gain something from it. Every loss is not a loss, you can gain a lesson. I’ve definitely learned a lot.”

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This has an "anniversary". 

Well, atleast it sounds like he's making the best of the situation. When life serves up lemons....

Doesn't everything?

15 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

This has an "anniversary". 

Well, atleast it sounds like he's making the best of the situation. When life serves up lemons....

It's eerily similar to my wedding anniversary. Same sort of feeling. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I'd feel bad for any guy who gets married and his wife has him "sitting on the bench" ever since! lol. 

(Let me calm down, the wife is still up). 

Luckily for me, I got cut and became a free agent. 

“It was a crazy situation, a life-defining moment. It could go one of two ways – it could make you or it could break you. It hasn’t broken me. It won’t break me ever. A situation like that won’t change my demeanor or my attitude."

I think I get what he's trying to say here in trying to stay positive... but I certainly hope his attitude isn't the same as it was before he got hit

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

“I don’t think about it,” he said. “It was a crazy situation, a life-defining moment. It could go one of two ways – it could make you or it could break you. It hasn’t broken me. It won’t break me ever. A situation like that won’t change my demeanor or my attitude. I know who I am. I know what I can do. I’m just trusting my instincts. I know I’ll get back in there. I just have to stay focused and keep believing and working hard and when I do, I’ll be ready for it.”

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

“It was a crazy situation, a life-defining moment. It could go one of two ways – it could make you or it could break you. It hasn’t broken me. It won’t break me ever. A situation like that won’t change my demeanor or my attitude."

I think I get what he's trying to say here in trying to stay positive... but I certainly hope his attitude isn't the same as it was before he got hit

lol, right?

Problem for Geno is Bowles is a guy that would have still started Flynn over Russell Wilson, will start Fitz regardless of how much better Geno outplays him in TC and preseason and will stick with Fitz well past the poiint it becomes obvious last year was a fluke, like it was for Flynn

21 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Problem for Geno is Bowles is a guy that would have still started Foles over Russell Wilson, will start Fitz regardless of how much better Geno outplays him in TC and preseason and will stick with Fitz well past the poiint it becomes obvious last year was a fluke, like it was for Foles

You mean Flynn

Fitz deserves a shot to show he can continue and build from last year.  I don't think Fitz will be successful considering how difficult the first half of our schedule is but crazier things have happened 

2 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

You mean Flynn

Fitz deserves a shot to show he can continue and build from last year.  I don't think Fitz will be successful considering how difficult the first half of our schedule is but crazier things have happened 

Changed. I disagree that Fitz deserves that spot actually.

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Changed. I disagree that Fitz deserves that spot actually.

He set the team's single season record for TDs.

If a player scores 50 goals out of nowhere you put him on the 4th line the next year? 

If an OF hits 30 HRs out of nowhere one year you make him a platoon guy the next? 

16 sacks means you are a 3rd down DE next year?

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I guess I missed the part where he "opened up" about the IK incident - seems like a BS headline

The article is chock full of quotes from Geno talking about how getting punched by IK impacted him.  When a player stays mum on a subject for full year and then finally answers multiple questions, that can be accurately described as "opening up".  

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

“I don’t think about it,” he said. “It was a crazy situation, a life-defining moment. It could go one of two ways – it could make you or it could break you. It hasn’t broken me. It won’t break me ever. A situation like that won’t change my demeanor or my attitude. I know who I am. I know what I can do. I’m just trusting my instincts. I know I’ll get back in there. I just have to stay focused and keep believing and working hard and when I do, I’ll be ready for it.

I bet his physician disagrees.

The not-so-subtle undertone in this is that he's convinced himself that this is some sort of career adversity that somehow has taken something from him. Talking about it not changing his attitude and knowing what he has to do... he's referencing being a backup QB, but the issue here is that he was an a$$hole and got knocked the **** out.

It should change your attitude... be less of an a$$hole. 

28 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The not-so-subtle undertone in this is that he's convinced himself that this is some sort of career adversity that somehow has taken something from him. Talking about it not changing his attitude and knowing what he has to do... he's referencing being a backup QB, but the issue here is that he was an a$$hole and got knocked the **** out.

It should change your attitude... be less of an a$$hole. 

Talk about completely missing the point

He's 25. Still has some room to grow up. Probably wrote his ticket out of New York, but plenty of athletes have found success after turding up their first stop. It would actually be better for Geno if his struggles were attitude rather than intelligence based. Can't fix stupid, but can fix arrogant (sometimes). The physical skill is there. He'll probably get another chance. Hopefully within the division lol.

5 hours ago, AFJF said:

The article is chock full of quotes from Geno talking about how getting punched by IK impacted him.  When a player stays mum on a subject for full year and then finally answers multiple questions, that can be accurately described as "opening up".  

yeah he spoke about how it affected him and what he's going to do moving forward but he never spoke about blame. Why did someone get to the point of punching the starting QB in the face ?

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

He set the team's single season record for TDs.

If a player scores 50 goals out of nowhere you put him on the 4th line the next year? 

If an OF hits 30 HRs out of nowhere one year you make him a platoon guy the next? 

16 sacks means you are a 3rd down DE next year?

Logic is not welcome to the diehard Geno fans

3 hours ago, jgb said:

He's 25. Still has some room to grow up. Probably wrote his ticket out of New York, but plenty of athletes have found success after turding up their first stop. It would actually be better for Geno if his struggles were attitude rather than intelligence based. Can't fix stupid, but can fix arrogant (sometimes). The physical skill is there. He'll probably get another chance. Hopefully within the division lol.

Cowboys will probably pick him up next year and with a solid O-line and good receivers he'll be a top ten QB next year. Ha!!

Archived