Geno Smith named #2 QB!!!!!!!!!!!

joewilly12

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Geno is smart. He knows that there are only so many completions in every QB's arm. So he isn't about to waste them in the preseason.

I for one thank him for doing that. Hopefully Fitz never gets hurt but if he does Geno is going to be a 65% completion machine.

Maybe you're right.  Maybe he's going to lobby Todd Bowles to give him the free safety job that Darrelle Revis fancies.

SAR I

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is not a real #2 quarterback.  He's a has-been among long-term projects.

His only qualifications are years of experience in a company that can't afford a better replacement.  He's like that guy in your office that keeps getting promoted because the good people quit and no decent talent wants to join your organization because they don't pay well.

SAR I

Well I disagree and when Geno takes us to the promised land, Jeff Hostetler style, you will owe the site 10 pushups.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

In 2012 at W Virgina Geno Smith threw 42 TD's with only 6 INT's 

The chasm between College Football and the NFL is massive. Jace Amaro still holds the NCAA record for most rec yards by a TE in a single season. Look at him now. Safe to say his job isn't that safe. 

10 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bowles: "Would be fair to say" that Geno Smith has solidified the No. 2 QB spot.

In all honestly, if the Jets were looking to trade Geno, that is what they would say. I'm not predicting it, but really until the final roster is set, that statement could ne misleading.

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Geno is smart. He knows that there are only so many completions in every QB's arm. So he isn't about to waste them in the preseason.

I for one thank him for doing that. Hopefully Fitz never gets hurt but if he does Geno is going to be a 65% completion machine.

Yes. Quite often do guys who have never completed close to 65% of their passes in any full season just magically find that mark. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of this is tongue in cheek and playing the devil's advocate. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

But I can see how many people feel the need to claim victory over this. Because there were a lot of people predicting that Geno wouldn't make the team.

I don't see that at all.

Most were saying they felt (opinion) that Geno should not (opinion) make the team or should be traded,  The driving force of that was good quality play from Petty.  Till we all saw Petty do well, almost all of us were resigned to a Geno as #2 reality, and generally ok with it given our win-now-status.

This is no "victory" to be crowed about by Geno's supporters.  He never came close to being as improved as they claimed, he never came close to competition for the #1 job, and frankly, he was clearly outplayed by Petty in the preseason games.  He won the #2 job by default, by injury, and by (it must be said) the same old pants-pissing-fear most NFL GM's have of taking actual risks.  

If that is what they want to "claim victory for" after a year of "Geno will be the #1 because he's so much improved and here are 1,000 reasons why Fitz is warmed over dogsh*t" threads, followed by a few hundred threads about we're definitely not signing Fitz, followed by threads about how Geno would crush Fitz on the field, etc, etc, etc.

Really, give it a rest.  If anyone here is NOT rooting for the Jets in 2016, or rooting for failure (at least initially), it's our cadre of loyal Geno supporters, who are already posting many thinly-veiled posts hoping for Fitz to fail badly, or get hurt, so Geno can play.  

You continue to claim neutrality Max, but your posts are far from Neutral.  You're a Geno guy, and I can respect that, but defending this laughable thread is a bit much.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think if Geno Smith sees significant playing time for the Jets, the Jets are picking in the top ten of next year's draft and passing on a quarterback because they burned a 2 and a 4 on Hackenberg and Petty. 

If we get into the top ten for the draft and don't take a shot at another QB the billboards  go up.

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They all suck.

^^See?  People have spoke.

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think if they really wanted to keep Geno they would have happily stashed Petty on IR today. The fact that they definitively stated he wasn't going on IR leads me to believe that Geno is toast. However, if they definitively stated that Petty wasn't going on IR and still keep four QBs, everyone should be fired.

This.

Petty's injury was a godsend if he truly is worse than Geno.  If Petty is that immeasurably far from being ready to play in an NFL game, the Jets CS should have been begging for a reason to put him or Hack on IR. They got one.  To retain a quarterback who is worse than Geno Smith instead of a young LBer, WR, O-lineman...hell, any position, that's some idiotic stuff right there.

Actually, if Petty is worse than Geno, maybe they're not IRing him because they're gonna' cut him.  Do they really need Geno Smith and TWO guys worse than him?

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

This.

Petty's injury was a godsend if he truly is worse than Geno.  If Petty is that immeasurably far from being ready to play in an NFL game, the Jets CS should have been begging for a reason to put him or Petty or Hack on IR. They got one.  To retain a quarterback who is worse than Geno Smith instead of a young LBer, WR, O-lineman...hell, any position, that's some idiotic stuff right there.

+1

I'm hoping they cut Geno today as a Labor Day Weekend gift to the fanbase, getting that email would be way better than 100 rewards points for a sack or a 20% off coupon for a giant twist pretzel.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Geno didn't make the team.

Petty got hurt, they couldn't cut Geno, Hackenberg isn't ready, simple stuff.

This isn't the first time Geno Smith has made an NFL roster because of a preseason injury to a quarterback he could not rightly outperform.  By my count he owes half his career to unfortunate offensive line play in preseason garbage time.

SAR I

Lol I get the love for Brett Ratliff but for the love of God, lets atleast let him throw a pass against starters before we name him to Canton, shall we? Nothing would make me more happier if he did reach there indeed, but it's just preseason. "By my count", he stunk it up pretty good (or bad?) in the camp until the last 2-3 practices. 

15 minutes ago, AFJF said:

This.

Petty's injury was a godsend if he truly is worse than Geno.  If Petty is that immeasurably far from being ready to play in an NFL game, the Jets CS should have been begging for a reason to put him or Hack on IR. They got one.  To retain a quarterback who is worse than Geno Smith instead of a young LBer, WR, O-lineman...hell, any position, that's some idiotic stuff right there.

Actually, if Petty is worse than Geno, maybe they're not IRing him because they're gonna' cut him.  Do they really need Geno Smith and TWO guys worse than him?

It's a shoulder bruise. Geno haters had Fitz' non-throwing hand thumb injury sound like an amputated throwing arm, I can only imagine what they think of a shoulder bruise. 

You want Perty to develop. Stashing him on the IR isn't going to do that. I'd much rather cut the 54th ranked guy before I cut one of the QBs. You know, the guy that's going to be inactive every game, yet be part of the 53 man. Yeah, so much importance to him than to a young QB with potential. 

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

Geno Smith is not a real #2 quarterback.  He's a has-been among long-term projects.

His only qualifications are years of experience in a company that can't afford a better replacement.  He's like that guy in your office that keeps getting promoted because the good people quit and no decent talent wants to join your organization because they don't pay well.

SAR I

Exactly. Hired as an intern, he becomes the general manager after a couple of months and all of a sudden he's expected to be the ring master of a circus. Two years later, people want him dead. That too when in his last few games, his cumulative QB rating has been above a 100  

To put things into perspective, Hack is that intern. Imagine him becoming the starter this year. Now that's a circus worth watching even at the cost of your own team. 

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Took you this long to admit it? Better late then never, I suppose.

Im fine with that.  Geno Smith was thrown into the fire by 1 of the worst head coaches in NFL history he had the worst OC in the league at the time and certainly the worst WR corps in NY Jets history. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Im fine with that.  Geno Smith was thrown into the fire by 1 of the worst head coaches in NFL history he had the worst OC in the league at the time and certainly the worst WR corps in NY Jets history. 

Really?  Why did you wait 'til now to point that out?

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Geno Smith isn't well liked especially on this board if you're looking to argue mention his name isn't it proof positive throughout this forum, 

I wonder why.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

The not-even-remotely subtle rooting for a massive Fitz failure/injury in this thread by the usual suspects is, frankly, rather classless.

Congrats to Geno Smith for being handed the #2 Job.  I don't think he won it, but congrats to him none the less.  Lets hope if he has to play, he can play well, but we should ALL be hoping he doesn't have to play, because having to play means we've either lost alot or our starting QB gets hurt, and people rooting for that need to get their heads on right.  

Sort of like the masses supporting IK for breaking Geno's jaw last year . 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I don't see that at all.

Most were saying they felt (opinion) that Geno should not (opinion) make the team or should be traded,  The driving force of that was good quality play from Petty.  Till we all saw Petty do well, almost all of us were resigned to a Geno as #2 reality, and generally ok with it given our win-now-status.

Petty played well against next wks new batch of insurance agents, I'll give you that.

This is no "victory" to be crowed about by Geno's supporters.  He never came close to being as improved as they claimed, he never came close to competition for the #1 job, and frankly, he was clearly outplayed by Petty in the preseason games.  He won the #2 job by default, by injury, and by (it must be said) the same old pants-pissing-fear most NFL GM's have of taking actual risks.  

Don't forget to mention the insurance agent part because Petty outplayed Fitz as well in the preseason. I'd go as far as saying Hack outplayed Fitz in the third pre season game. For the record, Geno played better than 'still rusty' Fitz in the camp. 

If that is what they want to "claim victory for" after a year of "Geno will be the #1 because he's so much improved and here are 1,000 reasons why Fitz is warmed over dogsh*t" threads, followed by a few hundred threads about we're definitely not signing Fitz, followed by threads about how Geno would crush Fitz on the field, etc, etc, etc.

I think there were a 1000 "dogsh*t" threads about how Geno was going to get cut or traded n that Fitz will be the next Rich Gannon.

Really, give it a rest.  If anyone here is NOT rooting for the Jets in 2016, or rooting for failure (at least initially), it's our cadre of loyal Geno supporters, who are already posting many thinly-veiled posts hoping for Fitz to fail badly, or get hurt, so Geno can play.  

Incorrect again. We all know we don't have a cake walk of a schedule again this year.

You continue to claim neutrality Max, but your posts are far from Neutral.  You're a Geno guy, and I can respect that, but defending this laughable thread is a bit much.

Laughable thread because Geno didn't play the last PS game, showing clear intent to protect him against injury to back up a journeyman QB with injury history? Then sure. Geno being named #2 is news to Geno haters. It's fascinating how people love to see him crash and burn. It hasn't happened since his last game against the Bills in 2014. Same for Fitz, although posters like yourself seem to think Fitz wasn't at fault for his 3 picks and failure to score 23 points against Bills backups.  

Geno Smith had the worst head coach in the league the worst OC and the worst WR's  Fitzpatrick an 11 year journeyman gypsy flourished with Bowles,Gailey,Decker,Marshall and the easiest schedule on the league. 

Lets see what he does this season before we start making plans for Canton.Ohio 

Joe,

Don't even try to explain, it will only fall to deaf ears and blind eyes.

The only way people opinion is going to be changed is by Geno proving he is a starter by playing well and winning games, should he be pressed into service.

Yet even then, there are many in this fans base who will find an excuse to attribute it to other factors.

Archived