Why didn't Petty go on IR?

Augustiniak

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Gas2No99 said:

I disagree, this year is a wash for Hack and Petty as the designated #3 would get those Reps on the Scout team as he's 1 year more familiar to RUN a Pro Scout team than Hack. 

Fine. You want to segregate it to that extreme go ahead. He can still do drills, throw after practice to other players, which you can't do on IR. 

People are really buying in too much of this media crap. You can only dress 45 on game day. And you have a 10 man practice squad. 1 or 2 roster spots used on young QBs is not going to be the reason the Jets win or lose games this season. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Fine. You want to segregate it to that extreme go ahead. He can still do drills, throw after practice to other players, which you can't do on IR. 

People are really buying in too much of this media crap. You can only dress 45 on game day. And you have a 10 man practice squad. 1 or 2 roster spots used on young QBs is not going to be the reason the Jets win or lose games this season. 

Will do. :D

I agree with your position that keeping Hack on the 53 will not materially affect the team's overall success this season, but MY PREFERENCE would be for them to IR him and literally let him SIT & WATCH for the year. Online, RB, and Secondary depth may factor in as the year progresses and that roster spot COULD possibly help. Hack has NO business touching the field this season and Petty MUST get as many reps as he can since he is CLOSER to actual playing time (starting in '17?) than Hack is and only 2 injuries away or 1 off season of FA next spring from being the starter. 

Aa you stated, simply a matter of opinion. 

13 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Danny woodhead

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

This.

Also, this season has the potential to go south early and hard, Vegas predicts we'll open the year 0-6, we all know how hard our schedule is.  If doomsday strikes and we're eliminated in early November we want Bryce Petty to start the last 6-7 games, get a good body of work, see if he's the potential franchise quarterback we've been waiting a lifetime for.  At worst, we'd be tanking a few games, set us up for a better draft pick.

SAR I

I just feel like they wouldnt do that if fitz is healthy. I'm honestly curious, when was the last time something like this happened?

My previous comment was hyperbole but not by much. In a league where Sam Bradford is worth a first round pick, more than once, Yeah, sure Hack is a commodity.

but... seriously, have you seen him play football? He looked so friggin bad in preseason. If he wasn't a 2nd round pick he'd have been cut and no one would shed a tear. 

Let's be honest with ourselves, the Jets probably drafted this player two rounds high. He's the project of all projects, and a decent chance he's already been ruined by Penn St. He's been David Carr'ed before his first game. That's not great. 

The only reason he's worth a roster spot (barely) is because of the great shortage of QB's.  And because Mac wants to justify the pick eventually. 

The Jets are carrying 4 QB's that's unusual in a league where everyone who has a real solution only carries 2.  We are jets fans, so we have no idea what that's like, but teams aren't running out to spend roster spots on 3 Qb's who don't play and don't help your team at all during the current season. The Giants aren't looking for a developmental 3 QB behind Eli. The Lions aren't thinking about a 3 QB behind Stafford. Those front offices/coaches aren't thinking 4 years into the future when Hackenberg might have relearned how to throw a football.

This is related to the TE situation BTW, the 4 QB's only work if the TE are blocker ST guys. Teams who have TE's catching the football can't use a roster spot on a 3rd QB let alone a 4th.  

In the bigger picture this whole idea of "developing" a QB is highly questionable in a league where it seems like 2/3 of the starters went 1st round. And how many starters went 1 overall like Bradford and Stafford?  We like the idea of Hack more than the reality of Geno and Clemens but that's not a high bar. 2nd round QBs are usually bums.  If Hack wasn't so damaged and terrible he goes 1st round.  sh*t friggin Tebow went first round. 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

So why not PUP him? He's going to miss the first 2 weeks anyway, right? And if they're keeping Geno, which they did, they clearly just wanted an experienced player just-in-case for that first brutal stretch. Coincidentally, after that stretch ends, the PUP timeframe also ends. Just seemed like good timing to me to put him on the PUP list.

Only thing they get out of it is he can practice with the team that extra 3-4 weeks after he's healed up. Not nothing, I'll grant you, but is that worth losing a player you really wanted to keep? Odds are he won't even be active on gameday until later in the season when he takes over the #2 QB slot, anyhow.

Because we do not control the timing on any possible QB injury.  Fitz-->Hack is too big of a big drop at this time.

To IR a QB means he can't practice, which would severely hamper his development. I just heard an interview somewhere on ESPN radio (believe it was a NY station, former Jets player) that said you can really develop as a player just by QBing the Scout team. Plus you get reps with 2nd team offense, etc.....IR takes all that away.

So if your trying to develop a guy (especially QB) then placing him on IR is counter productive, unless ofcourse he's legitimately out for the year then you have no choice, but this isn't the case with Petty.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

you don't think someone would pick him up?  even if you think we reached for him-  how many QB's picked in the first 4 rounds weren't on the 53 man roster this year.

Exactly. If you waived Hackenberg then there's zero percent chance he makes it through waivers and onto the practice squad. That would be basically giving some team an extra 2nd rounder.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Sometimes the easiest answer is the correct one.  No one wants Hack anywhere near the field this year.

Its comical the hate brigade still thinks Geno is getting cut but not unexpected.  Wonder when that pipe dream is given up.

34 minutes ago, Pac said:

Sometimes the easiest answer is the correct one.  No one wants Hack anywhere near the field this year.

Its comical the hate brigade still thinks Geno is getting cut but not unexpected.  Wonder when that pipe dream is given up.

The pipe dream here does not sit with those who feel Geno is a terrible QB.  That opinion has been reinforced at every single turn.  No, the pipe dream here rests with those who desperately cling to this idea that Geno is a franchise QB waiting to blossom despite decision after decision by the front office who are paid to know about these things.  All of those decisions tell us exactly what the front office thinks of him.  When are you lot going to give up on YOUIR pipe dream?

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

Also, this season has the potential to go south early and hard, Vegas predicts we'll open the year 0-6, we all know how hard our schedule is.  

SAR I

0-6!!! I need to get to Vegas. I'll bet all the money stuffed under my mattress on that one. No way we go 0-6. Heck we'll be 1-0 after Sunday. Go JETS.

3 hours ago, EM31 said:

The pipe dream here does not sit with those who feel Geno is a terrible QB.  That opinion has been reinforced at every single turn.  No, the pipe dream here rests with those who desperately cling to this idea that Geno is a franchise QB waiting to blossom despite decision after decision by the front office who are paid to know about these things.  All of those decisions tell us exactly what the front office thinks of him.  When are you lot going to give up on YOUIR pipe dream?

Never said he was a franchise QB waiting to blossom.  Just said he's a better option than Petty - which Bowles seems to have agreed with all along.

6 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

He's not getting Reps anyways while being on the active roster either due to limited snaps under the CBA. He doesn't get reps regardless, thus poor mgmnt to keep him off of IR. 

Yes he will.  The #3 runs the scout team, and that's reps against the #1 defense.  

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

Also, this season has the potential to go south early and hard, Vegas predicts we'll open the year 0-6, we all know how hard our schedule is.  If doomsday strikes and we're eliminated in early November we want Bryce Petty to start the last 6-7 games, get a good body of work, see if he's the potential franchise quarterback we've been waiting a lifetime for.  At worst, we'd be tanking a few games, set us up for a better draft pick.

SAR I

#TankingInSeptember is apparently a thing now

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

that's right.  To open a roster spot, Petty would have had to be IR-designated to return.  Keeps him out 8 weeks, i think.  If an opportunity to trade Geno comes up in thise 8 weeks, Bowles would need to have Petty available to back up Fitz.  

You don't keep Geno on the team as the #2 QB because you hope maybe there's a hope you can trade him in a narrow window during the season, and handicap your team to the tune of 1 more roster spot. That's no way to manage a roster once the season starts. 

Either Geno is the #2 or Petty is the #2. Not 2a and 2b, plus another #4 QB that's unusable but also must be kept. If Geno's the #2 and Petty's the #3 because that's what the HC and OC want, then Petty should have been early-IR'd. He's out for the first week or two as it is, and won't be back in rhythm for another week after that. Actually more, because he won't be working with the 1s at all and not with the 2s most of the time because the team needs to gameplan-practice not have summer tryouts anymore.

Sure there's the possibility that Fitz gets hurt and Geno goes in and gets hurt himself again. In that case it will look like a wise move. But odds are Petty will not see the field until well into the 2nd half of the season, if at all. We could have saved the roster spot.

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You don't keep Geno on the team as the #2 QB because you hope maybe there's a hope you can trade him in a narrow window during the season, and handicap your team to the tune of 1 more roster spot. That's no way to manage a roster once the season starts. 

Either Geno is the #2 or Petty is the #2. Not 2a and 2b, plus another #4 QB that's unusable but also must be kept. If Geno's the #2 and Petty's the #3 because that's what the HC and OC want, then Petty should have been early-IR'd. He's out for the first week or two as it is, and won't be back in rhythm for another week after that. Actually more, because he won't be working with the 1s at all and not with the 2s most of the time because the team needs to gameplan-practice not have summer tryouts anymore.

Sure there's the possibility that Fitz gets hurt and Geno goes in and gets hurt himself again. In that case it will look like a wise move. But odds are Petty will not see the field until well into the 2nd half of the season, if at all. We could have saved the roster spot.

most of the time, the odds are the #3 qb does not (hopefully) see the field, especially during the first half of the season.  clearly the jets see value in not stashing petty.  whether he's going to become the #2 sooner than later, or they simply want him around in practice, it's unclear.  

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No. Geno will backup. Petty would start if and when Fitz leads us to a 1-5 start.

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No. Geno will backup. Petty would start if and when Fitz leads us to a 1-5 start.

If we do get to a 1-5 start (and again I remind all that's what Vegas and the experts will have us simply due to the schedule) it will not be the fault of Ryan Fitzpatrick and we'll need Ryan Fitzpatrick if we are to dream of a 9-1 finish to get into the playoffs.

This year doesn't count.  Don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.  Go Rangers.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

most of the time, the odds are the #3 qb does not (hopefully) see the field, especially during the first half of the season.  clearly the jets see value in not stashing petty.  whether he's going to become the #2 sooner than later, or they simply want him around in practice, it's unclear.  

Even more so with Petty because he's already injured. Which begs the question why not just stash him for the first half of the season. It's only another month & a half and he's not even the #2 QB anyway. Obviously it's unclear; that's why the question is asked. 

It literally could be as simple as he saw Fitz and Geno both get hurt vs Oakland and wanted an option C available, since that can't be Hackenberg (and last year it couldn't be Petty).

Anyway this that side of using mid-high picks on major projects at QB in back to back years. The position is such that you can't slip them onto & off the field for a play here or a series there like a LB. It's all or none.

If we don't win 2 games in 4 days next week, yes, it would be in the teams best interest to think about the future because this season will be in the past.

SAR I

I prefer a culture of winning that the younger players especially can buy into

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If we do get to a 1-5 start (and again I remind all that's what Vegas and the experts will have us simply due to the schedule) it will not be the fault of Ryan Fitzpatrick and we'll need Ryan Fitzpatrick if we are to dream of a 9-1 finish to get into the playoffs.

This year doesn't count.  Don't get your hopes up and you won't be disappointed.  Go Rangers.

SAR I

Lol, no. Fitz is terrible and will be one of the primary reasons we start of terrible. His history against better teams is completely abysmal and I see no reason for that to change. He was one of the luckiest QBs I have ever seen play last year, and he will face much stiffer competition that will expose him as the complete fraud he is. Petty would do better in first 6 games than Fitz will. Why some Jets fans think this complete BUM that had never won more than 6 games before last year is a good QB all of a sudden and remotely capable of a 9-1 run is completely beyond me. Fuuck Fitz, he is going to wreck this season. 

Just now, jgb said:

I prefer a culture of winning that the younger players especially can buy into

Sure, so do I, but if Doomsday strikes and we're 1-6 and the season is effectively over, we need to see what Petty and Hackenberg have to offer.  It's what's best for the franchise.

Anyway, we'll have plenty of time to talk about this in October, right now let's be optimistic.  We must have a good week.  We must win 2 games in 4 days.  Let's focus positive energy around that.  I may find a Yogi and take up meditation to help the Jets get to 2-0 with ten days to prepare for Kansas City.

SAR I

Just now, johnnysd said:

Lol, no. Fitz is terrible and will be one of the primary reasons we start of terrible. His history against better teams is completely abysmal and I see no reason for that to change. He was one of the luckiest QBs I have ever seen play last year, and he will face much stiffer competition that will expose him as the complete fraud he is. Petty would do better in first 6 games than Fitz will. Why some Jets fans think this complete BUM that had never won more than 6 games before last year is a good QB all of a sudden and remotely capable of a 9-1 run is completely beyond me. Fuuck Fitz, he is going to wreck this season. 

Come on now, we all saw the games last year.  Fitzpatrick played very well.  Yes, against weaker teams he was money and yes, against elite teams he was not good but then again neither was the defense that allowed tons of yardage and clock to work against our O.

It's a 4 day season, we'll have plenty of time for negativity if we lose both games (as Vegas predicts we will).

SAR I

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Come on now, we all saw the games last year.  Fitzpatrick played very well.  Yes, against weaker teams he was money and yes, against elite teams he was not good but then again neither was the defense that allowed tons of yardage and clock to work against our O.

It's a 4 day season, we'll have plenty of time for negativity if we lose both games (as Vegas predicts we will).

SAR I

I just do not fundamentally think he played well at all. He had the BEST #1 and #2 receiving tandem in the NFL, and that was an especially strong deodorant for him. He will also be overconfident this year and slip back to recklessness like he did last year when it mattered.

I just do not fundamentally think he played well at all. He had the BEST #1 and #2 receiving tandem in the NFL, and that was an especially strong deodorant for him. He will also be overconfident this year and slip back to recklessness like he did last year when it mattered.

So much time hating the guy you might be missing best jets QB play for next 15 years judging by team history.

56 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I'm not sure what your point is.

Was there a better transitional quarterback than Ryan Fitzpatrick available to lead a 4-12 team to some modicum of success that Maccagnan passed over?  Did Ryan FItzpatrick not exceed all expectations last year by taking a ~6 win team to 10 wins, orchestrating 3 brilliant last-minute wins against the Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots, and setting franchise records for TD's?

It's not rocket science that Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't the greatest QB in the NFL.  But he's the greatest QB for the NY Jets right now, we're lucky to have him.

SAR I

So much time hating the guy you might be missing best jets QB play for next 15 years judging by team history.

Just because Jets QB'S have historically sucked does not make Fitz's season last year "good", in fact in today's NFL it was average at best. I am not happy with average just because we are used to bad.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Just because Jets QB'S have historically sucked does not make Fitz's season last year "good", in fact in today's NFL it was average at best. I am not happy with average just because we are used to bad.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Keep waiting for the saviour to come through that door if you want. In the meantime I'm ecstatic we have a flawed but competent professional and leader running the huddle!

Archived