Why didn't Petty go on IR?

Augustiniak

he's the 3rd string qb, bowles said he'll miss 1 or 2 games anyway, and he can return after week 6?  do they want to keep the IR return spot free, or were they going to name Petty the 2nd stringer but then he got hurt?  bowles' quote about geno being the backup wasn't 'he earned it', but something like 'safe to say geno is the backup'.  i understand they were always keeping hack.  is there something to read between the lines with an injured 3rd string petty not starting out on IR?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

he's the 3rd string qb, bowles said he'll miss 1 or 2 games anyway, and he can return after week 6?  do they want to keep the IR return spot free, or were they going to name Petty the 2nd stringer but then he got hurt?  bowles' quote about geno being the backup wasn't 'he earned it', but something like 'safe to say geno is the backup'.  i understand they were always keeping hack.  is there something to read between the lines with an injured 3rd string petty not starting out on IR?

Bottom 3, or 4 spots on the roster almost never play but they get to practice, and they can play if needed. 22 starters plus kicker punter, snapper, and returner. That's 26. 22 backups. That's 48. 5 spots left for developmental guys, and for swapping FAs on and off the roster for up close tryouts. 

We have at least 6 or 7 guys on the roster right now that we could cut without fear that anyone would claim them. 

Absolutely no reason to panic with these last spots. 

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

because he can not practice on the IR and he needs every rep he can get.

2 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the real question is why isn't Hack on the psquad. Would anyone really pick this guy up? 

Yes they would. 

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the real question is why isn't Hack on the psquad. Would anyone really pick this guy up? 

I could see a scenario where a team does.  Basically, if you have a total JAG as your 3rd string QB and you're not a playoff contender right now, why not take a chance on a high-risk guy with upside.

Picking one at random...take the Lions.  Behind Stafford they have Dan Orlovsky.  They probably have no shot at the playoffs anyway and if Stafford gets hurt, it's game over.  Orlovsky isn't the future so what would they have to lose by dropping their most expendable position player to grab a second round draft pick at QB to try to develop.  I wouldn't bet against it.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

They didn't want to put Petty on IR and have him be the one guy that comes off IR. You want someone impactful to return from IR. Keep that spot open. Hack would've hit the IR in a heart beat and keep him there. Petty didn't go incase we needed a 3rd QB since Hack isn't even close to being an option this year. 

Just now, sourceworx said:

He's only expected to miss a week or two.  I still think they're going to get rid of Geno at some point soon.

I think so too.  Some QB will get injured in weeks 2-6 and Geno will be a viable option, especially considering how many teams only carry 2 QBs on the 53.

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

My own theory is that they still want the option to trade Geno if the right QB goes down early and the other team is stupid enough to guve them a price.

<wow> not such an uncommon theory it seems.

I think it's quite clear, Petty won #2 job - got hurt. Keep Geno #2 in name, which makes him look more valuable, and since he'll have to be #2 while Petty is hurt anyway. Petty gets healthy, trade Geno, install Petty as #2. 

10 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think it's quite clear, Petty won #2 job - got hurt. Keep Geno #2 in name, which makes him look more valuable, and since he'll have to be #2 while Petty is hurt anyway. Petty gets healthy, trade Geno, install Petty as #2. 

The missing ingredient in all of this is a trade partner for a pile of steaming dogsh1t.  Sam Bradford is a heartening story. Miracles do indeed happen but if that particular one happens for us then I think not only does Macc gets an automatic extension but I think I would volunteer to buy the sore vagina cream for the entire gang of Genoettes on here.  Two jars for JW12

Well in case of disaster and lower than (team) expected results, they can give Petty the last month as starter. 

Better question is why they didn't PUP him and save the roster spot, instead of opening the season with 4 QBs. They're clearly not using him the first 6 weeks and he had a legitimate injury.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well in case of disaster and lower than (team) expected results, they can give Petty the last month as starter. 

Better question is why they didn't PUP him and save the roster spot, instead of opening the season with 4 QBs. They're clearly not using him the first 6 weeks and he had a legitimate injury.

The first six games were always going to be rough and so i would not expose him to those games unless we got compensation from a trade and only then in the event Fitzpatrick was injured of course.  I agree that this is shaping up to be a script where the last month is spent getting a longer audition for Petty after we are out of it.

...and no, not Geno even then

6 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The first six games were always going to be rough and so i would not expose him to those games unless we got compensation from a trade and only then in the event Fitzpatrick was injured of course.  I agree that this is shaping up to be a script where the last month is spent getting a longer audition for Petty after we are out of it.

So why not PUP him? He's going to miss the first 2 weeks anyway, right? And if they're keeping Geno, which they did, they clearly just wanted an experienced player just-in-case for that first brutal stretch. Coincidentally, after that stretch ends, the PUP timeframe also ends. Just seemed like good timing to me to put him on the PUP list.

Only thing they get out of it is he can practice with the team that extra 3-4 weeks after he's healed up. Not nothing, I'll grant you, but is that worth losing a player you really wanted to keep? Odds are he won't even be active on gameday until later in the season when he takes over the #2 QB slot, anyhow.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

you don't think someone would pick him up?  even if you think we reached for him-  how many QB's picked in the first 4 rounds weren't on the 53 man roster this year.

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, the real question is how can anyone even ask this kind of question with a straight face.

agreed.  i thought this bitoni guy was pretty smart about football.  this seems like a pretty stupid comment.  so, to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he can explain in more detail.

A guy can only be on the PUP list to start the season if he was on it throughout camp. So if you practice, you can't be put on the PUP list.

As for IR, you need to have the guy on the final 53 if you want to IR him straight, otherwise you have to waive injured and then add to IR if he goes unclaimed. Far too risky. Lastly, you can only IR recall one guy, maybe they want that to be Robinson rather than Petty. No value in having Petty there for 6 weeks or so when he's not really hurt.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

Probably incase Fitz gets hurt early they don't want Hack to end up being our backup qb for this season.

I think that's exactly why. If Fitz gets hurt then Hack could very easily be in position to see playing time. It would only be one injury away. The only QB to possibly stash on IR would have been Hack. Nobody else.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

you cannot go on PUP for the reg season unless you started pre-season on PUP

8 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

you cannot go on PUP for the reg season unless you started pre-season on PUP

that's right.  To open a roster spot, Petty would have had to be IR-designated to return.  Keeps him out 8 weeks, i think.  If an opportunity to trade Geno comes up in thise 8 weeks, Bowles would need to have Petty available to back up Fitz.  

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

I can EASILY see Pitt, Houston, Arz, & Giants - just off the top of my head- picking him up as a #3 to replace those aging QBs down the road who still have a few years left. You don't think Todd Haley, Bill O'Brien, Bruce Ariens, and McAdoo wouldn't LOVE the chance to develop this kid WITHOUT having to fork over a draft pick?  

Jets should have designated Hack w/a "strained shoulder" and placed him on IR. Bad mgmnt IMO to waste a roster spot on a QB who THEY KNOW will not touch the field as #4; mores if he's as off as they state he is. Phantom injury to IR so he gets the Redshirt year and have him on the Active 53 NEXT year behind Petty as #2 or #3 and whatever FA we bring aboard to replace the departed Fitz and Geno, respectively. 

2 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

because he can not practice on the IR and he needs every rep he can get.

He's not getting Reps anyways while being on the active roster either due to limited snaps under the CBA. He doesn't get reps regardless, thus poor mgmnt to keep him off of IR. 

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

that's right.  To open a roster spot, Petty would have had to be IR-designated to return.  Keeps him out 8 weeks, i think.  If an opportunity to trade Geno comes up in thise 8 weeks, Bowles would need to have Petty available to back up Fitz.  

This.

Also, this season has the potential to go south early and hard, Vegas predicts we'll open the year 0-6, we all know how hard our schedule is.  If doomsday strikes and we're eliminated in early November we want Bryce Petty to start the last 6-7 games, get a good body of work, see if he's the potential franchise quarterback we've been waiting a lifetime for.  At worst, we'd be tanking a few games, set us up for a better draft pick.

SAR I

26 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

He's not getting Reps anyways while being on the active roster either due to limited snaps under the CBA. He doesn't get reps regardless, thus poor mgmnt to keep him off of IR. 

Wrong  

He'll be getting reps running the scout team's Offense for the Jets D each week. 

And he can still do drills on the field, during & after practice, as well which he wouldn't be able to do if on IR.

33 minutes ago, Dcat said:

IR-Designated to Return was done away this year. You do not have to make any designation this yr. Teams are permitted to bring back 1 player from IR. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Wrong  

He'll be getting reps running the scout team's Offense for the Jets D each week. 

And he can still do drills on the field, during & after practice, as well which he wouldn't be able to do if on IR.

I disagree, this year is a wash for Hack and Petty as the designated #3 would get those Reps on the Scout team as he's 1 year more familiar to RUN a Pro Scout team than Hack. 

Archived