Running calls in the redzone cost us

nico002

38 minutes ago, nico002 said:

When you have decker and Marshall you cannot have any redzone trip end with less than to pass attempts to those guys.

on multiple occasions we settled for running plays there

The problem is not calling run plays, but WHAT run plays you run. First or second and goal at the one you run the QB sneak PERIOD. You NEVER turn and hand off to a back four freaking yards deep unless you have a guy who can leap over the top from three yards out - which the Jets DON'T have. You ran QB power and have the RB push him in the end zone. Stupid to do anything else. It is the Patriots bread and butter on short yardage. Watch how many times Brady just reaches the ball over the line. Really dumb to do anything else.

We were on a drive where Forte was slapping the entire Cinci defense on their chins with his giant balls. Get down into the red zone and all of a sudden it's a good idea to line him out wide and run a QB draw up the middle. Throw to Decker, throw to Marshall, give it to Forte or Powell or whatever, just don't ******* do that.

35 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The problem is not calling run plays, but WHAT run plays you run. First or second and goal at the one you run the QB sneak PERIOD. You NEVER turn and hand off to a back four freaking yards deep unless you have a guy who can leap over the top from three yards out - which the Jets DON'T have. You ran QB power and have the RB push him in the end zone. Stupid to do anything else. It is the Patriots bread and butter on short yardage. Watch how many times Brady just reaches the ball over the line. Really dumb to do anything else.

Bengals could not stop the off tackle pulling G/C plays. If you run inside against huge tackles they will stop you. Was as i they didn't bother to scout the defense they were facing. Or didn't even bother to go with what was working.

yeah, always throw it

1st and Goal at CIN 4

(4:36 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to B.Marshall (D.Kirkpatrick)

2nd and 4 at CIN 4

(4:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to B.Marshall

3rd and Goal at CIN 4

(4:28 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to B.Powell to CIN 4 for no gain (J.Shaw)

4th and Goal at CIN 4

(3:45 - 1st) N.Folk 22 yard field goal is BLOCKED (M.Hunt), Center-T.Purdum, Holder-L.Edwards

55 minutes ago, Larz said:

yeah, always throw it

1st and Goal at CIN 4

(4:36 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short right to B.Marshall (D.Kirkpatrick)

2nd and 4 at CIN 4

(4:32 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass incomplete short middle to B.Marshall

3rd and Goal at CIN 4

(4:28 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Fitzpatrick pass short right to B.Powell to CIN 4 for no gain (J.Shaw)

4th and Goal at CIN 4

(3:45 - 1st) N.Folk 22 yard field goal is BLOCKED (M.Hunt), Center-T.Purdum, Holder-L.Edwards

Ummmmm folks didn't see those plays......

4 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

I SAID THE SAME THING WHEN THEY RAN THOSE PLAYS.  Totally stupid and that is on OUR OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.  

14 hours ago, hawk said:

If we had thrown the ball and not converted the thread title would be, Passing calls in the redzone cost us.  

This is true. My favorite part personally is the same people who complain we don't pass the ball in the redzone complain that the guy throwing the ball can't accurately pass the ball. By the logic you would gather from a good chunk of this forum the last thing you would want to do is have Fitz pass the ball. I personally think we played a good game against a great team and the loss is obviously just a bit bitter.

11 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Todd Bowles hes as much to blame as Fitzpatrick poor game plan you go up early and then you lay down 

Bull, the Jets allowed Fitz to try and throw for a TD on the 2nd series after the INT . It didn't work, so they tried to run the ball the next time and that didn't work .  The problem I had was not the play calling, but more so the game situation awareness . The strength of our OL appears to be off LT behind Carpenter, the TE and Clady but instead, we ran the ball into the teeth of the Bengals defense  and we got what we deserved .

Furthermore, In the Red zone, Fitzpatrick has got to stop locking onto Brandon Marshall .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Bull, the Jets allowed Fitz to try and throw for a TD on the 2nd series after the INT . It didn't work, so they tried to run the ball the next time and that didn't work .  The problem I had was not the play calling, but more so the game situation awareness . The strength of our OL appears to be off LT behind Carpenter, the TE and Clady but instead, we ran the ball into the teeth of the Bengals defense  and we got what we deserved .

Furthermore, In the Red zone, Fitzpatrick has got to stop locking onto Brandon Marshall .

Exactly old habits are hard to break we blew an opportunity to win a big game yesterday because of mistakes the Jets beat themselves the Bengals did not beat the Jets. 

16 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

We were on a drive where Forte was slapping the entire Cinci defense on their chins with his giant balls. Get down into the red zone and all of a sudden it's a good idea to line him out wide and run a QB draw up the middle. Throw to Decker, throw to Marshall, give it to Forte or Powell or whatever, just don't ******* do that.

Forte was terrible in short yardage, which I've tried to prepare folks for, so part of me wonders if the play calling was some weird over-compensation for that. I dunno. 

In all the ways the Patriots looked elevated by good coaching to compensate for middling talent last night, the Jets looked the opposite, they've got the talent and the coaching didn't make sense to me. I thought Bowles was influenced by Arians, why not put the pedal to the floor? What the **** are we doing letting Cincy back into the game... the window to run up the score early was there, and we shied away from it like @Jetsfan80 from intercourse. 

Awful.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Forte was terrible in short yardage, which I've tried to prepare folks for, so part of me wonders if the play calling was some weird over-compensation for that. I dunno. 

In all the ways the Patriots looked elevated by good coaching to compensate for middling talent last night, the Jets looked the opposite, they've got the talent and the coaching didn't make sense to me. I thought Bowles was influenced by Arians, why not put the pedal to the floor? What the **** are we doing letting Cincy back into the game... the window to run up the score early was there, and we shied away from it like @Jetsfan80 from intercourse. 

Awful.

So you're saying sometimes you just gotta put it in? 

The play calling was bizarre in the RZ.  Numerous times we had one on one looks for Marshall and Decker.  They were at the 1 yard line and ran a slow developing run.  They should have just put Fitz right up Mangold's ass. 

That and Fitz missed Marshall on a gimme that changed the entire game.  Instead of 14-0, we kicked a FG that was blocked. 

I said it right there and then, that will cost us the game.  

Powell was 4 for 41 yesterday, most of them off tackle. Why didn't he see the ball down by the goal line?

Problem is even a good defense is gonna fail a few times every game. You cannot take  the easy way and settle for FG attempts. Sense that Bowles and Gailey are  too passive, not aggressive, willing to settle, not urgent enough on offense. Jets have bragged all preseason about the size of the OL, for f__'s sake, use it down by the goal. And running up the middle vs. 2 or 3 350 lbers waiting for you is FREAKING STUPID FOOTBALL. 

2 1st and goals inside the 4 with all of three points to show for it is FAILURE. 

Once again, looks like this franchise hired a DC to be HC in a time when offense is exploding. AGAIN. THIS IS A RECORDING. DOING THE SAME SHEET OVER AND OVER AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS  IS THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY. 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The QB draw worked, he missed the end zone by less than 1/2 a yard.

What doesn't work, and never will, is throwing Forte up the gut on goalline.  He's a between the 20's shifty runner, he's no goalline battering ram.

And the way Marshall played yesterday, we could have thrown to him 4 times in a row, I think he'd have been covered or dropped it all four times, he looked remarkable uninterested and meh yesterday.  

No, as was stated above, we should have followed up with a QB powersneak (a la Brady) behind Mangold from the 1/2 yard line.  We lack the bruiser to hand off to there (powell maybe, but definitely not Forte).

Archived