Fire Bowles: MERGED

choon328

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, both football teams I support have similar problems, head coaches with differing levels of incompetency.   But Bowles doesn't grate on me the way Ducks Head Coach Mark Helfich does.  He's a buffoon of the first order and the sooner he's out of Eugene the better.   The defense of "Well.  There is nobody better out there."  Yeah because being simply average is completely unattainable.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

screw mentor he needs a fast ticket the hell out of here

LOL - Thanks, always good to laugh before coffee

Only concern is how the Jets attract the best coaches if the window is only 2 years. We can agree it does not need to be 6 years every time but coming off a 10 win season where the players drank too much of their own Kool-Aid, I would hope a young HC could learn something

Unless he has lost the locker room, then I will chip in on the fast ticket the hell out of here...   

19 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

LOL - Thanks, always good to laugh before coffee

Only concern is how the Jets attract the best coaches if the window is only 2 years. We can agree it does not need to be 6 years every time but coming off a 10 win season where the players drank too much of their own Kool-Aid, I would hope a young HC could learn something

Unless he has lost the locker room, then I will chip in on the fast ticket the hell out of here...   

Our previous coach had 6 years before he was let go, lets not pretend we do not give our coaches and our gm's time. We have just made a rash of stupid decision such as Idick and now Bowles that need to be corrected. When one side of the ball gets all the love and resources and is ranked near dead last the man responsible for developing that unit and putting them in a place to succeed has to go.

Good article about the respect Bowles still has with the team. Bolded parts are what really stood out obviously.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-players-show-support-for-bowles/208574874

From the outside it looks like chaos because that's the way it always looks when a team with high expectations goes into nosedive. It starts with the losses. Then players get angry. Some of them fight. And as the frustrations mount, rules are broken. A picture is painted of a coach losing control.

But that's just not the way it is with the Jets, where Todd Bowles remains firmly in charge, well-respected, and not in any apparent danger of being fired. As for the noise, the chaos, and the perception of a mess …

As veteran receiver Brandon Marshall said, "This is what happens when you lose."

Yes it does, which makes things really tough for any head coach, including the suddenly embattled Bowles. It's bad enough that his quarterback turned out to be far worse than last season and his defense has bizarrely underperformed. Now he's stuck with a 3-6 team with no plausible path to a playoff berth that they always felt so strongly they were destined to have.

The veterans he's coaching have to be miserable with what has happened -- especially since many of them know they likely won't still be with the Jets next year. And they know it's only a matter of time before the Jets unofficially wave the white flag of surrender by putting Bryce Petty at quarterback and start thinking almost exclusively about next year.

Yeah, sure, they're professionals and well-paid. It still can't be easy for Bowles to keep them interested and playing at a level they would've been if they still had a season left. And they're people too. In many ways they're just like fans, searching for answers. So Bowles has to keep the finger-pointing to a minimum too.

And while doing that he's got to put out brushfires -- like the locker room fight between Marshall and Sheldon Richardson in Kansas City, or the Marshall-Ryan Fitzpatrick sideline spat last Sunday. And he has to do that while keeping the respect of the players, because if Bowles does lose control they'll be the very first to know.

So how's he doing?

"Brilliantly," said Marshall.

Added Muhammad Wilkerson: "I don't think coach is losing control."

Privately players are saying the same thing. And the fact that Wilkerson said that is significant because he's someone who just felt Bowles' wrath. Wilkerson and Richardson -- two of the Jets' best defenders -- were benched for a quarter on Sunday in a must-win game for the Jets because of relatively minor infractions. Wilkerson said he was late to one team meeting and missed a walkthrough. Richardson said he was late to one team meeting.

A team source said the problems with their lateness and attitude have run far deeper than that.

But whatever their issues, think of the message Bowles just sent to everyone else on the team. If Richardson and Wilkerson are punishable, so is everyone else on the roster. And if they truly were problems behind the scenes, it sure sounded -- based on their comments Wednesday -- that Bowles got them back in line.

"I learned from this," Wilkerson said. "I won't be a distraction. I feel like this was a distraction for this team. There won't be a distraction no more, especially coming from me."

"I most definitely learned a lesson," Richardson added. "A lesson I already knew."

OK, their future actions will speak louder than those possibly forced words, but the fact that they stood there and said them three days after refusing to own up for their mistakes shows someone got a message to them. And the rest of the locker room definitely took notice. Just like they've taken notice how Bowles has stood behind a declining Darrelle Revis all season, or the way he's given his struggling veteran quarterback his support.

Players appreciate and respect a coach who has their backs, even when he's dealing out discipline. Players also appreciate a coach who, even in the face of a lost season, refuses to show any sign of giving up and doesn't change who he is.

"He's a great head coach, he's a great leader, he's real, he's transparent, he's one of the best I've been around -- and I've been around a few," Marshall said. "I love playing for him and I think that's the same sentiment throughout the whole building. As a player you can't ask for a better situation. [The coaches] treat us as men and they hold us accountable. No one man is better than the rest of the team and that's a good thing."

"The thing that everybody respects about Todd is his office is always open if you have any questions," Fitzpatrick said. "When I got benched, he called me in there and we had a conversation and he told me exactly … not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what he was thinking. To have a coach that is transparent, to have a coach that tells you exactly what he thinks and feels rather than what you want to hear is important."

"He's the type of coach that'll take blame if the game plan was crap," Richardson added. "Can't knock a man for that."

At this point, those three have no reason to back Bowles if they didn't mean it sincerely. Fitzpatrick doesn't have a future with the Jets. Marshall probably does, but at age 32, it's far from certain. And the Jets just tried to trade Richardson at the deadline, so he has no reason to stay loyal. Yet they still stood strongly behind their embattled coach, which seems to be a theme among all the players on the team.

Yes it's true, as Bowles said, that "I haven't done a good job." His in-game decisions have been strange at time, and his offensive and defensive game plans have often been questionable. It hasn't helped that he's stuck with a quarterback that couldn't match his career numbers from a year ago, plus a few key injuries and an absolutely brutal first six games. But whatever the issues, the record falls on him.

But that doesn't mean he should be on the hot seat and it doesn't mean he's somehow lost his locker room. That is the easy way to look at a failed season. It's a cliché.

But in this case, the cliché that Bowles has lost his grip on the team is just plain wrong.

Philosophical question for the "Fire Bowles" side of the board. Would your sentiment change at all if we were to sweep the mighty Patsies this year?

(Please don't reply with an answer of "isn't going to happen" - taht's why I've phrased it as a philosophical question ;-) ).

4 hours ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

But we would have the statistically WORST QB in the NFL for BOTH seasons the Jets stupidly allowed him on the field joey...your manlove Geno the BUST of BUSTS

Geno's gone lets talk about lowest rated QB in the NFL who also leads the NFL in INT's he's still here and the starter. 

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Philosophical question for the "Fire Bowles" side of the board. Would your sentiment change at all if we were to sweep the mighty Patsies this year?

(Please don't reply with an answer of "isn't going to happen" - taht's why I've phrased it as a philosophical question ;-) ).

If Bowles won the Super Bowl this season would we keep him as coach?

14 minutes ago, JetFanWithNOPSL2017 said:

But you are still the primary one sitting shiva for your beloved Geno despite him being a Jet QB probably worse than Rick Mirer, Brooks Bollinger and Bill Demory combined

Is defending Fitz just cuz "Geno" still a thing?

Fitz is statistically the worst QB in the NFL this season and it's not even close

4 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Good article about the respect Bowles still has with the team. Bolded parts are what really stood out obviously.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/jets-players-show-support-for-bowles/208574874

From the outside it looks like chaos because that's the way it always looks when a team with high expectations goes into nosedive. It starts with the losses. Then players get angry. Some of them fight. And as the frustrations mount, rules are broken. A picture is painted of a coach losing control.

But that's just not the way it is with the Jets, where Todd Bowles remains firmly in charge, well-respected, and not in any apparent danger of being fired. As for the noise, the chaos, and the perception of a mess …

As veteran receiver Brandon Marshall said, "This is what happens when you lose."

Yes it does, which makes things really tough for any head coach, including the suddenly embattled Bowles. It's bad enough that his quarterback turned out to be far worse than last season and his defense has bizarrely underperformed. Now he's stuck with a 3-6 team with no plausible path to a playoff berth that they always felt so strongly they were destined to have.

The veterans he's coaching have to be miserable with what has happened -- especially since many of them know they likely won't still be with the Jets next year. And they know it's only a matter of time before the Jets unofficially wave the white flag of surrender by putting Bryce Petty at quarterback and start thinking almost exclusively about next year.

Yeah, sure, they're professionals and well-paid. It still can't be easy for Bowles to keep them interested and playing at a level they would've been if they still had a season left. And they're people too. In many ways they're just like fans, searching for answers. So Bowles has to keep the finger-pointing to a minimum too.

And while doing that he's got to put out brushfires -- like the locker room fight between Marshall and Sheldon Richardson in Kansas City, or the Marshall-Ryan Fitzpatrick sideline spat last Sunday. And he has to do that while keeping the respect of the players, because if Bowles does lose control they'll be the very first to know.

So how's he doing?

"Brilliantly," said Marshall.

Added Muhammad Wilkerson: "I don't think coach is losing control."

Privately players are saying the same thing. And the fact that Wilkerson said that is significant because he's someone who just felt Bowles' wrath. Wilkerson and Richardson -- two of the Jets' best defenders -- were benched for a quarter on Sunday in a must-win game for the Jets because of relatively minor infractions. Wilkerson said he was late to one team meeting and missed a walkthrough. Richardson said he was late to one team meeting.

A team source said the problems with their lateness and attitude have run far deeper than that.

But whatever their issues, think of the message Bowles just sent to everyone else on the team. If Richardson and Wilkerson are punishable, so is everyone else on the roster. And if they truly were problems behind the scenes, it sure sounded -- based on their comments Wednesday -- that Bowles got them back in line.

"I learned from this," Wilkerson said. "I won't be a distraction. I feel like this was a distraction for this team. There won't be a distraction no more, especially coming from me."

"I most definitely learned a lesson," Richardson added. "A lesson I already knew."

OK, their future actions will speak louder than those possibly forced words, but the fact that they stood there and said them three days after refusing to own up for their mistakes shows someone got a message to them. And the rest of the locker room definitely took notice. Just like they've taken notice how Bowles has stood behind a declining Darrelle Revis all season, or the way he's given his struggling veteran quarterback his support.

Players appreciate and respect a coach who has their backs, even when he's dealing out discipline. Players also appreciate a coach who, even in the face of a lost season, refuses to show any sign of giving up and doesn't change who he is.

"He's a great head coach, he's a great leader, he's real, he's transparent, he's one of the best I've been around -- and I've been around a few," Marshall said. "I love playing for him and I think that's the same sentiment throughout the whole building. As a player you can't ask for a better situation. [The coaches] treat us as men and they hold us accountable. No one man is better than the rest of the team and that's a good thing."

"The thing that everybody respects about Todd is his office is always open if you have any questions," Fitzpatrick said. "When I got benched, he called me in there and we had a conversation and he told me exactly … not what I wanted to hear, but exactly what he was thinking. To have a coach that is transparent, to have a coach that tells you exactly what he thinks and feels rather than what you want to hear is important."

"He's the type of coach that'll take blame if the game plan was crap," Richardson added. "Can't knock a man for that."

At this point, those three have no reason to back Bowles if they didn't mean it sincerely. Fitzpatrick doesn't have a future with the Jets. Marshall probably does, but at age 32, it's far from certain. And the Jets just tried to trade Richardson at the deadline, so he has no reason to stay loyal. Yet they still stood strongly behind their embattled coach, which seems to be a theme among all the players on the team.

Yes it's true, as Bowles said, that "I haven't done a good job." His in-game decisions have been strange at time, and his offensive and defensive game plans have often been questionable. It hasn't helped that he's stuck with a quarterback that couldn't match his career numbers from a year ago, plus a few key injuries and an absolutely brutal first six games. But whatever the issues, the record falls on him.

But that doesn't mean he should be on the hot seat and it doesn't mean he's somehow lost his locker room. That is the easy way to look at a failed season. It's a cliché.

But in this case, the cliché that Bowles has lost his grip on the team is just plain wrong.

That is nice to hear that the players in general are still supporting Bowles.

losses due to bad game planning is concerning though.

The issues with offense are somewhat understandable with Fitz & co underperforming last season 

the special teams playing as poorly as they have though is a red mark against the HC

the poor performance by the defenses is the biggest concern to me.  This (particularly the secondary) is supposed to be Bowles area of expertise ... The lack of improvement over halfway through = not ok

• Jets coach Todd Bowles said Fitzpatrick, who has a sprained MCL in his left knee, will be a game-time decision Sunday. 

"He's getting better," Bowles said. "He'll warm up Sunday, and I'll make a decision." 

Wouldn't the medical staff be the ones who should be making the decision. 

FIRE TODD BOWLES

sD51UYwq.jpg

On and on and on and on goes the broken record

Well would have been nice to hear that Petty had been getting the majority of reps in practice.
Instead we get another vote of confidence in Fitz's abilities. In essence saying "I'd rather play a one legged underperforming quarterback then my young prospect"
An again I have to ask, what does this say about either of our young kids development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, fltflo said:

Well would have been nice to hear that Petty had been getting the majority of reps in practice.
Instead we get another vote of confidence in Fitz's abilities. In essence saying "I'd rather play a one legged underperforming quarterback then my young prospect"
An again I have to ask, what does this say about either of our young kids development.

At this point with Fitz's performance you could start Micky Mouse. You can do as bad as the worst QB in the NFL but you can't do worse than 32nd.

19 hours ago, fltflo said:

Why did we carry 4 qb's?

Bowles is the whipping boy. So here we continue to go.

Bryce Petty did nothing to impress, his defense played very well. But everyone will continue to blame Bowles for this loss. He can't win. Forgot about the fact that Bryce Petty was predictable with his throws, missed a wide open Robbie Anderson for a TD, didn't get Marshall involved, Folk missed another extra point, his secondary is depleted of talent, etc

He didn't make the playoffs in year 1 and got off to a bad start against a brutal schedule in year 2. So everyone hates him and everything will be his fault until he is fired. So typical.

Archived