Bowles: I Don’t Know if Fitzpatrick Will Start on Sunday

JetNation

21 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

It's Week 17, Bills are in our stadium, a win and they're in the playoffs, a loss and they're eliminated.

You want Ryan Fitzpatrick in there with a 75% chance of winning or Bryce Petty in there with a 0% chance of winning?  You want a good "learning experience" for our young quarterback or you want to kick Rex's ass back to Buffalo as payback for last season?

That's what we're talking about here.  So let's have it.  What do you want to do?

SAR I

Let's see 7 and 42 against winning teams. Give me Petty all day. Fitz is the one with 0% chance to win, it us frigging historical record. your trolling us getting close to ignore status

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, FidelioJet said:

I know all the fans want to see what Petty can do but I think it's pretty obvious that the Jets don't think he's any good.  They may not have the QB situation figured out, but it seems pretty clear that Petty isn't part of the future.

It not obvious he was hurt and didn't get reps... he should play and your supposition is Specious at best.  

23 minutes ago, SAR I said:

See post above.  Week 17.  Do you want to eliminate the Bills from the playoffs or watch them celebrate on our home field?

Because that's what all this theorizing about Bryce Petty's debut boils down to.  You want to let our newb go 1-6 and get a terrific learning experience or do you want to go 5-2 or 4-3 and send Rex packing?

SAR I

SAR, i like your posts but drop this angle.  Its just stupid.  No one will be watching or at the game if ryan fitzpatrick is starting week 17 for the 6-9 jets.  

Woody is no dummy.  When hes sees the vile reaction the fans will have sunday to fitzpatrick, he will never play for us again.  This is the last week we will have to put up w/ this crap.

Pats D is awful this year and we will be down big the whole game, its a great time to get petty his 1st start.  He will be padding his stats as the pats will be in a soft prevent D by halftime.

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

It's Week 17, Bills are in our stadium, a win and they're in the playoffs, a loss and they're eliminated.

You want Ryan Fitzpatrick in there with a 75% chance of winning or Bryce Petty in there with a 0% chance of winning?  You want a good "learning experience" for our young quarterback or you want to kick Rex's ass back to Buffalo as payback for last season?

That's what we're talking about here.  So let's have it.  What do you want to do?

SAR I

Celebrate what? An opportunity to get beat 45-13 in New England at Gillette? If we're not in the playoffs, I could give a damn what happens to Buffalo, Id only be cheering against the Pats in the Super Bowl like always. In fact I'm imagining how sweet it might be to draft a stud player BEFORE the Bills or Fins can. At this point in the year & with how badly our veterans have fallen off a cliff, finding our future QB is NUMERO UNO to anything else.

49 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

SAR I

I could care less. I want to see the more talented quarterback play and that is Petty; all he needs is experience which he ain't getting on the bench.  **** Fitz and **** Bowles.  We have a better chance of actually completing some long passes and quick scores with Petty than with Fitz. I am not going to assume he has 0% chance of winning.  That is completely idiotic and you have no way of knowing how he will do until he is actually playing.  The bottom line is the sooner we get over this "Fitz gives us the best chance to win" fantasy, the better we will be. 

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why not?  A goodly portion of fan base has been rooting for just that outcome.

Petty should start because of performance and our current record.  But lets not pretend we don't have a bunch of posters gleeful that Fitz got hurt and is hurt.

Those people are idiots.

For people who wanted Fitz benched, the fact that it took an injury, and not his play, is a sad indictment of the decision makers.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

SAR I

In a scenario where Bryce Petty gives us 0% chance to win in week 17, we've already moved on to Hackenberg.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

SAR I

I disagree with your presumed %'s.

And in your scenario, I want Petty in there.  And I want Petty to win.

Fitz was fine, till we are out of contention.  

Then, I win (or lose) with Petty the rest of 2016.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

2 things.  

First off, you dont make decisions about the future of your organization based on another teams situation.  Elimination or not, you do what's best for the Jets. Not what hurts the Bills.  

Secondly, Fitz doesnt beat playoff caliber teams.  His record is abysmal over 12 years.  Where are you getting 75% from?  He's lifetime hovering around 3%. 

And just a final point, you cant play the position worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is...so I'm not sure why you're convinced Petty isnt an improvement?  If it's because Todd Bowles says so, I got news for you...he's a clueless moron.  

This. Just looking at him on the sidelines you'd think he's in another dimension. Clueless to day the least

1 hour ago, JiF said:

2 things.  

First off, you dont make decisions about the future of your organization based on another teams situation.  Elimination or not, you do what's best for the Jets. Not what hurts the Bills.  

Secondly, Fitz doesnt beat playoff caliber teams.  His record is abysmal over 12 years.  Where are you getting 75% from?  He's lifetime hovering around 3%. 

And just a final point, you cant play the position worse than Ryan Fitzpatrick is...so I'm not sure why you're convinced Petty isnt an improvement?  If it's because Todd Bowles says so, I got news for you...he's a clueless moron.  

Petty:  I have no idea if he's good or not, I just have a bad feeling about handing the keys to this fragile team to a kid at this juncture.  The vets will be angry, the fans will turn on him on his first interception, you know what the media will do.  It's a very bad spot.  This is what the Browns do the moment they're eliminated.  They play musical quarterbacks.  It doesn't work.

Competition:  We aren't playing difficult teams.  Outside of the Patriots, our other 5 games are against teams no better than .500, and 5 of our last 7 are at home.  If there were games that we paid our $12M journeyman to win, it's games like these.  The early part of the schedule was the killer.  Not the end.

Decisions:  I am on record as saying we need to validate Petty before the year is out so we know what we need to draft in April.  That said, if Woody has a chance to win 5 of the next 7 games and avoid humiliation on national TV whilst eliminating Rex Ryan's Bills, how does he forgo that realistic opportunity and instead knowingly put in a kid who is going to go 2-5 at best?  That's what we are discussing in the end.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

this is irrelevant.  the jets should be doing what's best for their own organization going forward.  the jets should not make personnel decisions based on who will or will not make the playoffs or who the opposing coach is.  the jets need to improve, period, there should be a singular focus.

Hey, if that were the case we should have cut Geno Smith, not resigned Ryan Fitzpatrick, and started Bryce Petty from Week 1.

And if you look at the schedule, Fitzpatrick is 3-1 against teams we were supposed to beat (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA) and lost the games against fierce competition where we had no shot.  And when we beat the Rams on Sunday, he'll be 3-1 in the past month.

There is a singular focus-  to win as many games as your schedule allows.  The logic for demoting Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't exist.  He's actually playing up to expectations.  Expectations.  That doesn't mean "like Tom Brady".  It means "like Ryan Fitzpatrick". 

SAR I

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Let's see 7 and 42 against winning teams. Give me Petty all day. Fitz is the one with 0% chance to win, it us frigging historical record. your trolling us getting close to ignore status

LOL, do you understand that besides the Patriots (who Petty has 0% chance to beat) that the other 5 games are NOT AGAINST WINNING TEAMS?

LA (3-5)
IND (4-5)
SF (1-7)
MIA (4-4)
BUF (4-5)

Again, Petty is a complete unknown and would be thrown into the fire of dysfunction whereas Fitzpatrick is facing a schedule tailor-made for him to go 5-2 and get the team focused and under control again.

You people scare me sometimes.  Trolling?  I think I'm one of 3 people here with his head on straight.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

LOL, do you understand that besides the Patriots (who Petty has 0% chance to beat) that the other 5 games are NOT AGAINST WINNING TEAMS?

LA (3-5)
IND (4-5)
SF (1-7)
MIA (4-4)
BUF (4-5)

Again, Petty is a complete unknown and would be thrown into the fire of dysfunction whereas Fitzpatrick is facing a schedule tailor-made for him to go 5-2.

You people scare me sometimes.

SAR I

Great. The Jets go 8-8 under your scenario. They end up with the 16th pick in the draft. Fitz is a FA. Geno is a FA. Petty hasn't sniffed the field and is a complete unknown.

What's the plan for 2017? Jay Cutler?

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Those people are idiots.

For people who wanted Fitz benched, the fact that it took an injury, and not his play, is a sad indictment of the decision makers.

If we had a competent head coach with half of a brain they would bench Fitzpatrick not for injury but for performance but being we dont.

41 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey, if that were the case we should have cut Geno Smith, not resigned Ryan Fitzpatrick, and started Bryce Petty from Week 1.

And if you look at the schedule, Fitzpatrick is 3-1 against teams we were supposed to beat (BUF, BAL, CLE, MIA) and lost the games against fierce competition where we had no shot.  And when we beat the Rams on Sunday, he'll be 3-1 in the past month.

There is a singular focus-  to win as many games as your schedule allows.  The logic for demoting Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't exist.  He's actually playing up to expectations.  Expectations.  That doesn't mean "like Tom Brady".  It means "like Ryan Fitzpatrick". 

SAR I

Fitzpatrick didn't "beat" the Ravens Geno did afterall he started the game. 

Bowles is running his team like how a pro team should be run. Let Fitz hobble around at Weds practice, or see if he can even get that far.  

Last week the Steelers brought back Big Ben 2 weeks after knee surgery and he sucked in a 21-14 loss to BAL, one of the few teams these Jets have actually beaten.  

Even if Fitz was playing awesome he'd have trouble making this game with an MCL sprain. There are different degrees of severity but it's usually a 3-4 week injury and the fact that he went for an MRI at all puts his status this week in doubt. 

If I were a betting man, i'd bet on seeing Petty this weekend. There's no upside to making a decision on Monday or Tuesday.  

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Why?  Any one with a brain knows he didn't win that game

Did Geno start the game? Yes. Then he won the game. The guy I quoted went on and on about not crediting Fitzpatrick with the Oakland loss despite technically him starting that game so the same applies here.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

I think you completely misread my post. But ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Let met ask you this:

SAR I

You mean like last year, week 17? We beat Buffalo, we're in, we lose, we're out. Fitz throws 3 ints. in last 7 mins, including his specialty, one in the end zone. Or the 13 ints. this year, 5 in the red zone?  That's what we're talking about here, common sense. Fitz gives us no better shot to win than you or I do. Bench this bum once and for all and let's move forward. 

2 hours ago, shuler82 said:

Great. The Jets go 8-8 under your scenario. They end up with the 16th pick in the draft. Fitz is a FA. Geno is a FA. Petty hasn't sniffed the field and is a complete unknown.

What's the plan for 2017? Jay Cutler?

Please....listen......

I want Bryce Petty so start Sunday and take the ball from here to the end.  I am merely answering the question as to why the Jets don't want to make the switch and want to stick with Fitzpatrick.

For now, it looks like there is no 2017 plan.  Right now it looks like the plan is to try to win every remaining game with the players on the roster who are most capable of doing that.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Petty:  I have no idea if he's good or not, I just have a bad feeling about handing the keys to this fragile team to a kid at this juncture.  The vets will be angry, the fans will turn on him on his first interception, you know what the media will do.  It's a very bad spot.  This is what the Browns do the moment they're eliminated.  They play musical quarterbacks.  It doesn't work.

Competition:  We aren't playing difficult teams.  Outside of the Patriots, our other 5 games are against teams no better than .500, and 5 of our last 7 are at home.  If there were games that we paid our $12M journeyman to win, it's games like these.  The early part of the schedule was the killer.  Not the end.

Decisions:  I am on record as saying we need to validate Petty before the year is out so we know what we need to draft in April.  That said, if Woody has a chance to win 5 of the next 7 games and avoid humiliation on national TV whilst eliminating Rex Ryan's Bills, how does he forgo that realistic opportunity and instead knowingly put in a kid who is going to go 2-5 at best?  That's what we are discussing in the end.

SAR I

Petty: Of course you dont.  That's the problem.  That was always been the problem with the presence Fitz.  I dont think anyone will be angry at all because they're currently witnessing some of the worst play the position has ever seen.  They get it.  This is a kid this regime drafted and has a year in a half in the system. No doubt there are numerous players in that locker room who think they'd be performing better with Petty and that he is the logical choice at this point.  

Competition/Decisions: I will lump together because I cant believe you're still supporting Fitz.  It's like you're completely delusional or not paying attention.  You need to go look at some of the BagMagic threads with the actual tape.  Maybe you're not seeing just how bad Fitz is playing.  And we havent been playing difficult teams and we're still losing in embarrassing fashion. Nothing is going to change.  The Jets cant beat bad teams.  They dont get to play the Browns every week.  We're approaching the definition of insanity. 

No player in the league is hurting their team more than Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Allowing it to persist, is exactly what makes the Jets, the Jets. 

46 minutes ago, section314 said:

You mean like last year, week 17? We beat Buffalo, we're in, we lose, we're out. Fitz throws 3 ints. in last 7 mins, including his specialty, one in the end zone. Or the 13 ints. this year, 5 in the red zone?  That's what we're talking about here, common sense. Fitz gives us no better shot to win than you or I do. Bench this bum once and for all and let's move forward. 

Almost all of his interceptions occur late in games when our defense has put us behind by multiple scores and we are pressing.

Take away the Kansas City outlier, he's throwing 1 INT per game which is his career average.

Look at games against average teams the Jets were expected to beat, Fitzpatrick is 3-1.  Factor in the game the defense blew late (CIN) and special teams blew late (MIA) and Fitzpatrick played well enough for us to be 5-4 right now.

The DEFENSE blew this season.  Yeah, the quarterback isn't Tom Brady, but that's not the point.  The point is the Jets have a Bottom 20 defense when we were expected to be Top 5.  And just because the defense has played slightly better during this winning run doesn't mean they are corrected.  They suck against elite competition and they weren't supposed to.

SAR I

Archived