Todd's bye week test

kevinc855

Well we are 3-7. I called 5-5 but I was wrong, we just lost to two teams we should of beat in the Rams and phins. Now to see what a coach is we need to see how his team responds after the bye. Will they play the last 6 with dignity fighting for each win? Will they stop bickering on the sidelines? Will they be showing up to meetings? Will they actually name a starting qb then this wait and see nonsense each week? Jet fans want to see wins, hopefully Todd can get his team after the bye. This team is way to talented to have this record. Tough schedule and all. 

1 minute ago, kevinc855 said:

Well we are 3-7. I called 5-5 but I was wrong, we just lost to two teams we should of beat in the Rams and phins. Now to see what a coach is we need to see how his team responds after the bye. Will they play the last 6 with dignity fighting for each win? Will they stop bickering on the sidelines? Will they be showing up to meetings? Will they actually name a starting qb then this wait and see nonsense each week? Jet fans want to see wins, hopefully Todd can get his team after the bye. This team is way to talented to have this record. Tough schedule and all. 

We also lost to the bengals in a game we should have won. His decision to run on 3rd and 5 then kick the field goal to let his defense try to stop them at the end was as ball-less as they come.  He needed to try to get the first down right there and score a TD. He has no balls and it feeds right down to the players. Even as bad as Fitzpatrick has played this year, this team should be 6-4 right now, that is tough to take.

7 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

We also lost to the bengals in a game we should have won. His decision to run on 3rd and 5 then kick the field goal to let his defense try to stop them at the end was as ball-less as they come.  He needed to try to get the first down right there and score a TD. He has no balls and it feeds right down to the players. Even as bad as Fitzpatrick has played this year, this team should be 6-4 right now, that is tough to take.

We lost to the Bengals because our kicker missed an extra point and kicked a chip shot field goal to low and got it blocked because of it. The players blew that game and the game last week against Miami, and Fitz gave us zero chance against KC in the same game where Jalin Marshall fumbled a kicoff that KC took back for a TD.

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I definitely am interested in seeing how Bowles and this team respond after the bye week. The Pats will be a tough test.

I just want to see this team name a starting QB going forward, and play hard down the stretch. Wins and losses are irrelevant at this point because the season is over. I want to see some of the younger players and guys who will be here going forward play well. I really hope he doesn't go back to Fitz.

5 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

We lost to the Bengals because our kicker missed an extra point and kicked a chip shot field goal to low and got it blocked because of it. The players blew that game and the game last week against Miami, and Fitz gave us zero chance against KC in the same game where Jalin Marshall fumbled a kicoff that KC took back for a TD.

Fair points, but even with the missed kicks, running on that 3rd and 5 to kick that FG and give them time to march down the field and kick their own FG to win it was inexcusable IMO. The defense showed no ability to make a stop all day long, we needed a first down there, he ran the ball up the gut and the game was over there.

4 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I definitely am interested in seeing how Bowles and this team respond after the bye week. The Pats will be a tough test.

Hahahaha...

If we lose this game by anything less than 3 TDs, I'll be shocked.

Prop bet, O/U on Patriots punts at 1.5?

Just now, NoBowles said:

Fair points, but even with the missed kicks, running on that 3rd and 5 to kick that FG and give them time to march down the field and kick their own FG to win it was inexcusable IMO. The defense showed no ability to make a stop all day long, we needed a first down there, he ran the ball up the gut and the game was over there.

Bowles has made his fair share of mistakes this year I agree. I think he's been to conservative at times. But his teams just not that good IMO.

You can't win with lazy vets who have no leadership skills. Revis? Mo? Harris? (Harris is trying he's like horse that needs to go to the glue factory). I personally don't care anymore this year, every loss moves us up in the 2nd & 3rd round. 

Our 2nd round pick will be as important as our 1st. Jets haven't had a 2nd round pick contribute in years. With these young QBs we need a stud RB & that might be the spot if someone drops, especially if we can make some trades back or move Sheldon before or during the draft. 

Our free agent pick ups will be HUGE too considering I'd be shocked if we don't cut ties with Revis. Revis-Harris-Maybe Mangold-Fitz, Clady. That's a lot of money to spend on younger assets. What's Fortes contract look like? If we get a stud RB in the draft, I say cut him too, you have Powell resigned. I'd love to see a Josh McDaniel type & give him Petty, Hack, Glennon, or maybe Garapolo? Draft Fournet (I know, we need a CB or LT) but this is a 3 year rebuild so if Fournet is the best player take him.

With these young receivers, if ASJ somehow matures? Fournet? At least we'd be exciting with a creative play caller? How long has it been since the Jets tried to be a dynamic offense? You can win games in this league by getting PI calls. Put together an offense that challenges defenses! Look at the Pats last night, Wilson carved that crappy pass rush up! Instead of trying to win games by shortening them, how about trying to score points in a league where the rules are slanted to the offense. That game yesterday was UNACCEPTABLE in today's NFL. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Bowles has made his fair share of mistakes this year I agree. I think he's been to conservative at times. But his teams just not that good IMO.

I think he is too conservative all the time, and I agree the team is not that good, but it is definitely good enough to be at least 6-4 right now. But I do agree that everyone overrates the talent on this team. We have talented players on the DL, and some talent at WR, but everyone else there is just nothing on this team. This is what happens when you have 10 years of awful drafting, and only spend high draft picks on the DL and secondary, and the secondary picks are all crap

Just now, gEYno said:

Do you expect them to be competitive?

Considering it's a division rival who the Jets see a lot and the fact that the Jets have been in most of their games this year I don't think they'll get destroyed. But I do think New England will win comfortably.

But, if the Jets go with Petty, which they should, he could give them no chance if he plays like he did yesterday or worse. So who knows.

No idea whats the bigger problem, Bowles or players. But obviously, both. We need a roster overhaul. Get rid of the aging vets who don't fight and have no hunger.

Unless we get a past super bowl champion coach to replace Bowles next year, we give Bowles another shot with a real roster overhaul.

Cut

Harris,

Revis,

Mangold (we haven't missed him at all this year)

Giacomini

trade Sheldon. No ones trading for Mo unfortunately, with his contract and the way he's played all year.

Gilchrist has improved a bit and isn't pricy so I'm 50/50 keeping him.

Probably worth getting rid of Decker too. I don't think he'll be back from injury next year and I'd start our younger guys anyway. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

Hahahaha...

If we lose this game by anything less than 3 TDs, I'll be shocked.

Prop bet, O/U on Patriots punts at 1.5?

The pinned thread at the top....they let you make bets like that. Have a $100 free roll left on a $50 deposit if anyone is interested lol.

Here's how I feel about the Bowles situation. I don't like him at all, BUT, we all know that Woody is as stupid as a fence post & ALWAYS keeps coaches 1 more year than necessary.

So with that in mind the only choice is to do a wholesale vet cut to reestablish his authority. He's being undermined by the veterans on this team. I'd cut Revis, Harris, Mangold, Clady, Breno. 

I would not even consider resigning Fitz. I would trade Sheldon for whatever you can get, hopefully a 2nd, but take a 3rd if offered. Here's the one where people might disagree with me, I'd cut Brandon Marshall, now here me out. There's a reason he's never been to the playoffs. This is a bad match for him, bad team, trying to get younger. He's a pouter folks, not what a young QB needs to deal with. Obviously depending on his contract status I'm saying this but if the Jets can get a Olineman or a CB for Brandon's Salary it's a no brainer. We now have Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, Smith. Let's transition to the young guys so our young QB, whoever that is grows with these guys. 

I would only try to sign 2 big defensive free agents, (Jamie Collins & Chandler Jones). I wouldn't sign any free agents on offense, I would draft all for offense sans CB, draft should be Oline, RB, TE?

Both Jones & Collins are better pass rushers than we've had her in years! Collins, Jenkins, Lee are a nice start at LB. if we can't get anything for Sheldon, you'd have Jones, Wilkerson, Leo & Mo. That's a helluva front 7 with 2 guys that would love to crush the Pats offense.

The rest of free agency would be for lower cost backup vets under 30 that excel on special teams. 

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Here's how I feel about the Bowles situation. I don't like him at all, BUT, we all know that Woody is as stupid as a fence post & ALWAYS keeps coaches 1 more year than necessary.

So with that in mind the only choice is to do a wholesale vet cut to reestablish his authority. He's being undermined by the veterans on this team. I'd cut Revis, Harris, Mangold, Clady, Breno. 

I would not even consider resigning Fitz. I would trade Sheldon for whatever you can get, hopefully a 2nd, but take a 3rd if offered. Here's the one where people might disagree with me, I'd cut Brandon Marshall, now here me out. There's a reason he's never been to the playoffs. This is a bad match for him, bad team, trying to get younger. He's a pouter folks, not what a young QB needs to deal with. Obviously depending on his contract status I'm saying this but if the Jets can get a Olineman or a CB for Brandon's Salary it's a no brainer. We now have Enunwa, Anderson, Peake, J.Marshall, Smith. Let's transition to the young guys so our young QB, whoever that is grows with these guys. 

I would only try to sign 2 big defensive free agents, (Jamie Collins & Chandler Jones). I wouldn't sign any free agents on offense, I would draft all for offense sans CB, draft should be Oline, RB, TE?

Both Jones & Collins are better pass rushers than we've had her in years! Collins, Jenkins, Lee are a nice start at LB. if we can't get anything for Sheldon, you'd have Jones, Wilkerson, Leo & Mo. That's a helluva front 7 with 2 guys that would love to crush the Pats offense.

The rest of free agency would be for lower cost backup vets under 30 that excel on special teams. 

Nice post

No reason to cut Marshall - he already said this is his final year. He will retire at the end of this season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Well if the KC game is any indication of his ability to get his team ready to play - cough, cough - after a long layoff, then I doubt you'll see a team prepared to play.  Lets face it this team hasn't been ready to play in a majority of games so what makes you think that will change when he refuses to change his approach to what he does? 

31 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Pre-season. No link, I'm not that sophisticated, but I recall him saying he wanted to play one more year.

All I can find is that he'd retire if they won a Super Bowl. That's not happening. I doubt that he's going anywhere. He may retire if the Jets cut him though. He said he wasn't going anywhere after NY. 

9 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

... Jet fans want to see wins...

Not true. 

At this point, don't care about wins.  It's all about playing for next season.  If players won't be here next season, no reason to play 'em (looking at you Fitz).

That goes for anyone.  If Harris, Mangold, Revis, Marshall, Forte and hopefully Wilk...  any of 'em will not be back next season, let them sit.  Maybe have them pull a hamstring. 

Consider the remaining games the same as 2017's preseason games.  Except the competition is really trying, so it's even better.

9 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

and those mistakes are a by-product of Bowles' preparation

Archived