Mo among 10 worst players in Sun per PFF

AFJF

5. Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, New York Jets

This was not a good time to disappear on the field for Wilkerson, who compounded his off-field doghouse status by going entirely AWOL against the Rams offense in the Jets’ loss. Wilkerson played 56 snaps this week, but was nearly blanked from the stat sheet, recording just a single pressure on 26 pass rushes. He did record three solo tackles and two defensive stops, but this was a poor return for a player with his ability, and didn’t reflect how easily he was moved in the run game.

People who are b!tching about Mo and how he SHOULD NOT have been paid, even though  EVERYONE and their grandmother was lamenting HOW the Jets never keep their star players (Mo was coming off 12 sacks and 1st ProBowl despite BrokenLeg), should READ his contract details more in depth and realize that the Jets ARE NOT married to Mo after 2018. THANK YOU MAC:

Here are the contract's terms, as confirmed by a league source: five years, with a maximum value of $86 million, including $54 million guaranteed (all over the first three years-'16,'17,'18). The deal includes $37 million in fully guaranteed pay through the first two years-'16 &'17 — a $15 million signing bonus plus $22 million in base salary. 

SO if Mo KEEPS UNDERPERFORMING like most have mentioned and is still a bad apple, The Jets can STILL decide to either TRADE Mo AFTER NEXT Season (2018) with a majority of guaranteed $ already paid out so little dead money and bigger Cap y then- a similar trade as to what the Jets got in B.Marshall w/little guaranteed money and reasonable salary compared to the market for #1 WRs - and decide to re-up Richardson long-term instead.

The losing and the fact a 300 lbs man coming off a broken leg from January 2016 is why I'm willing to be more patient with Mo, but he's more Good than bad and Jets HAVE AN OUT after NEXT season if Mo still hasn't validated his extension. 

On 11/14/2016 at 1:27 PM, Gas2No99 said:

People who are b!tching about Mo and how he SHOULD NOT have been paid, even though  EVERYONE and their grandmother was lamenting HOW the Jets never keep their star players (Mo was coming off 12 sacks and 1st ProBowl despite BrokenLeg), should READ his contract details more in depth and realize that the Jets ARE NOT married to Mo after 2018. THANK YOU MAC:

Here are the contract's terms, as confirmed by a league source: five years, with a maximum value of $86 million, including $54 million guaranteed (all over the first three years-'16,'17,'18). The deal includes $37 million in fully guaranteed pay through the first two years-'16 &'17 — a $15 million signing bonus plus $22 million in base salary. 

SO if Mo KEEPS UNDERPERFORMING like most have mentioned and is still a bad apple, The Jets can STILL decide to either TRADE MO after NEXT Season (2018) with a majority of guaranteed $ already paid out so little dead money and bigger Cap y then- a similar trade as to what the Jets got in B.Marshall w/little guaranteed money and reasonable salary compared to the market for #1 WRs - and decide to re-up Richardson long-term instead.

The losing and the fact a 300 lbs man coming off a broken leg from January 2016 is why I'm willing to be more patient with Mo, but he's more Good than bad and Jets HAVE AN OUT after NEXT season if Mo still hasn't validated his extension. 

If he's underperforming, and now has an outed history of showing up late to - and outright skipping - team meetings, who is trading for him at $16M/year? Nobody. Not for a conditional 7th rounder in the year 2038. Not unless we agree to eat even more of his contract while he plays for someone else. 

If Maccagnan knew he was repeatedly late to meetings - and skipping meetings outright, which I can't even believe - and re-signed him knowing it all, then it's a terrible contract. So we couldn't get a #1 pick, BFD. Get 2nd rounder and reuse his $37 million over the first 2 years on someone worth paying. Beyond the money, look at what it does for the locker room culture, to reward someone for sh***ing all over his coaches and teammates with such disrespect.

He also didn't get voted to his first pro bowl "despite" a broken leg. He got voted in and then broke his leg after that.

Fans have good reason to be bitter about him and his contract. Especially when the team used such a high pick to draft the player who was tailor-made to be his obvious replacement on the roster. There are quite a few better ways of using $37M - and the draft pick(s) Maccagnan said no to - over a 2-season span. 

44 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

SO if Mo KEEPS UNDERPERFORMING like most have mentioned and is still a bad apple, The Jets can STILL decide to either TRADE Mo AFTER NEXT Season (2018) with a majority of guaranteed $ already paid out so little dead money and bigger Cap y then- a similar trade as to what the Jets got in B.Marshall w/little guaranteed money and reasonable salary compared to the market for #1 WRs - and decide to re-up Richardson long-term instead.

I'd be more patient if he didn't need to be benched for not showing up on time to practice. Compound that with his 2.5 sacks and his long history of coming up small in big spots and he is a disaster. Would i take him at half his salary? Of course, but for what we are paying him the next 2 years we need FAR more than 2.5 sacks in 9 games. Mark Gastineau could walk in off the street and find a way to get 2 sacks through 9 games. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If he's underperforming, and now has an outed history of showing up late to - and outright skipping - team meetings, who is trading for him at $16M/year? Nobody. Not for a conditional 7th rounder in the year 2038. Not unless we agree to eat even more of his contract while he plays for someone else. 

If Maccagnan knew he was repeatedly late to meetings - and skipping meetings outright, which I can't even believe - and re-signed him knowing it all, then it's a terrible contract. So we couldn't get a #1 pick, BFD. Get 2nd rounder and pocket his $37 million over the first 2 years on someone worth paying. Beyond the money, look at what it does for the locker room culture, to reward someone for sh***ing all over his coaches and teammates with such disrespect.

He also didn't get voted to his first pro bowl "despite" a broken leg. He got voted in and then broke his leg after that.

Fans have good reason to be bitter about him and his contract. Especially when the team used such a high pick to draft the player who was tailor-made to be his obvious replacement on the roster. There are quite a few better ways of using $37M - and the draft pick(s) Maccagnan said no to - over a 2-season span. 

He skipped the walkthrough for the Ravens game which he was already declared "out". I think it is a little less egregious. I think he rushed back from his injury too quickly, either on his own or by the team.

2 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

I understand your point BUT people have been fair with their criticism.  For two years he bitched and moaned about how disrespected he felt by the Jets.  He said he deserved to be paid like JJ Watt.   He called himself a leader.  This season aall those things he clamied have been the total opposite.  I cut him a little slack with the injury BUT that doesn't mean he should play like total crap.   He has also missed a ton of meetings which he never did before at least to our knowledge.  He definetly coasted after getting his money.  He has a lot to prove next year

15 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

He skipped the walkthrough for the Ravens game which he was already declared "out". I think it is a little less egregious. I think he rushed back from his injury too quickly, either on his own or by the team.

Is that known it was the only one he's ever skipped, or that it's just the most recent and was the one Bowles used as justification for a whole quarter of benching? Why would a team have to have discussions with him about his commitment? For all we know this was going on for years and was an unknown reason why Idzik tried to trade him, and wouldn't extend him unless it was more team friendly.

Other things are just bad for the locker room. Who skips out on showing up for a birthday cake his friends/teammates buy for him? 

None of it paints the picture of a veteran player to be held in even moderately high esteem. Particularly when he's the highest paid one of them all. 

15 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Between Wilk and Fitz, how is Macc's job not in jeopardy?

I know most fans supported re-signing them, but the GM has to be smarter and more importantly, accountable.

disagree never wanted them

fitz is beyond terrible-created threads on it even last year

mo is not jj watt and that is the kind of guy you pay-mo is lazy and a malcontent and needs to be cut

That's 37 million dollars of money that could have been off our books this year and been allowed to be pushed into the future for the signing of another young player (Richardson for instance)

Thats a lot of money for a contract and it hurts our future however you want to slice it, whether it had been spent three years from now or today, it's irrelevant.

I think the jury is still out on the contract though.  If Wilk returns to form, he's probably worth it.  If he doesn't, then it's a bad contract.

Archived