Jets hurried to sign Matt Forte after interest from Patriots

Gas2No99

Jets hurried to sign Matt Forte after interest from Patriots

• schefter_adam_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=cr
    Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

For the first time this season, the New England Patriots will get an up-close look at New York Jets running back Matt Forte. But had a few hours in March gone a little differently, it would have been the Jets getting their first look at Forte.

On the first day of free agency in 2016, Forte flew into New Jersey to meet with the Jets, who made the decision to sign him. There were some concerns about the condition of his knee during the physical, however, and the Jets did not rush to get the paperwork done, league sources told ESPN.

The delay made Forte antsy, and that evening, the 30-year-old running back headed to the airport to board a flight and sign with the Patriots, sources said.

As soon as the Jets heard Forte was New England-bound, their behavior changed, sources said. Any concerns about the knee were overlooked, and the three-year, $12 million contract was written up and signed.

Earlier this week, Forte acknowledged that the Patriots had reached out about potentially signing him.

"My agent told me they called," Forte told NJ Advance Media on Wednesday. "I asked if they talked about anything, and he said they just wanted me to come for a visit. I said I'm already here about to sign, so I didn't feel like that would be right."

Forte has racked up 732 rushing yards with seven touchdowns on 189 carries this season, but the Jets are last in the AFC East at 3-7 while the Patriots are atop the division with an 8-2 record.

Curious personnel moves raise questions about Jets' coach, GM

r108420_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&sc

One has to wonder if there is a disconnect between Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles in their GM-coach relationship. 

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1.: Head-scratchers: General manager Mike Maccagnan's job is to find players. Todd Bowles' job is to coach them. Sometimes you wonder if there's a disconnect, based on some in-season personnel moves that have fizzled.

Consider:

Jeremy Ross: Cut twice, the veteran punt/kickoff returner was re-signed this week to replace the ineffective Jalin Marshall. Some felt Ross should've been given the job coming out of the preseason, but Maccagnan, who has control of the final 53, opted for the undrafted rookie. Ross returned for two games in early October, but only because Marshall was hurt. Now, finally, common sense has prevailed. Too bad it took 12 weeks and a handful of mental mistakes and yips by Marshall.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Maccagnan took a calculated risk, claiming Seferian-Jenkins on waivers a few days after a DUI arrest. He figured the athletic tight end would add something to the passing game, but the coaches haven't found a role for him. He dressed, but didn't play a single snap in the most recent game because of concerns about his blocking. His slow development can be attributed, in part, to a three-week ankle injury, but you still get the feeling the coaches don't know what to do with him.

C.J. Spiller: The Jets didn't need a No. 3 running back, but Maccagnan moved a small mountain named Knile Davis to sign Spiller. Many figured they got him to return kickoffs, but Bowles said that wasn't the plan. To the surprise of many, he debuted as a kickoff returner. Spiller has played only 11 snaps at running back in two games -- 11 snaps that should've gone to Matt Forte or Bilal Powell. Now Spiller may lose his kickoff-returning gig to Ross, who should've had it in the first place.

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs. Bryce Petty: During his bye-week meeting with reporters, Maccagnan explained the dynamics of the looming quarterback decision, calling it a "complicated" matter. He confirmed that Bowles had the final say, but also said he'd consult with the coach during the process. Announcing his choice a few days later, Bowles didn't make it sound all that complicated, also leaving no doubt it was his call. I don't know this for sure, but my hunch is that Maccagnan preferred Petty.

Owner Woody Johnson changed the organizational power structure when he hired Maccagnan and Bowles, setting it up so they both report to him. They're equals. There are inherent flaws in a system like that, and it bears watching in the future.

2. Mind-blowing stat of the week: Fitzpatrick's passer rating is a league-low 67.6. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl last season with a 67.9 rating. Crazy, huh?

3. The Patriots' sneak attack: The Belichicks, who visit MetLife Stadium on Sunday, had their eye on Forte during free agency. In fact, Forte was at the Jets' facility for a recruiting visit when his agent received a call from the Patriots, who requested a meeting in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Forte was in a holding pattern at One Jets Drive. The Jets were awaiting test results on an old knee injury, and they were "getting the [contract] language right with my agent," he said. As an aside, I'm told they had some concern about his knee. Forte said his agent informed the Patriots' of the Jets' offer (three years, $12 million). The Patriots wouldn't make a counter offer by phone.

"My agent said, 'They want you to be in the building,'" Forte said.

Did the Patriots' late interest create more leverage for Forte? Probably. In the end, it's a good thing the Jets made the deal because he has been one of their most productive players.

4. Mind-blowing stat, part II: New York Giants safety Landon Collinshas five interceptions in the past four games. The Patriots and Jets have five and six, respectively, for the entire season.

5. Belichick's easy goodbye: Bill Belichick looks like a genius for parting ways with Darrelle Revis after the 2014 Super Bowl season, but there really wasn't much of a decision. The Patriots declined to exercise a cap-busting, $20 million option -- a no-brainer -- and they never got a chance to make another proposal because the Jets swooped in with a five-year offer that included $39 million fully guaranteed. Adios, Darrelle.

The Jets probably regret it, considering Revis' decline.

"I personally like Revis, liked coaching him," Belichick said this week. "In the end, he had to make a decision that he felt was best for him, and I respect that. It's not the first player that we've lost in free agency, and it won't be the last."

The Patriots replaced Revis with Malcolm Butler, who's making $600,000. I'd say it worked out nicely for them.

6. Hoodie-isms: It's always interesting to check out Belichick's comments about the Jets during the run-up to a game against them -- specifically, the players he singles out for praise. He gave glowing assessments of Leonard WilliamsQuincy EnunwaRobby Anderson and even special teamer Josh Martin. He said Enunwa is "whatever you want to call him. You can call him a tight end, you can call him a wide receiver. He's a combination of both. He's definitely a problem." Belichick compared Williams to former Patriots great Richard Seymour -- high praise.

In past years, Belichick's comments have been received with skepticism inside the Jets' locker room, with some players suggesting there's always an ulterior motive behind the compliments. Translation: Look for the Patriots to pursue Martin in free agency.

7. Explaining salty Pepper: Defensive line coach Pepper Johnson initially declined to fulfill his media obligation because the losing has put him in a cranky mood. It's no excuse to break the rules, but you can kind of understand his mindset. In 29 seasons as a player and assistant coach, he has experienced only six losing seasons, the last occurring in 2000 -- the first of 14 seasons as a Patriots assistant.

"I'm used to winning; I'm not used to losing," he said. "Losing ballgames and still coming to work and trying to figure out ways how to muster up a win is kind of difficult, being an assistant coach. It's hard kissing my grandkids and being happy because I've always ate, drank and slept football. During the season, that's what it's all about. Losing games is not good. It affects my life."

8. Old man Brady: Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, 39, was preparing for his senior year at Serra High School in San Mateo, California, when Jalin Marshall, 21 -- the youngest player on the Jets -- was born. Even if you're not a Brady fan, you have to admire the man's durability. Fitzpatrick, who turned 34 on Thanksgiving, said: "It’s amazing to see a guy like that, that just looks better than ever."

17 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

8. Old man Brady: Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, 39, was preparing for his senior year at Serra High School in San Mateo, California, when Jalin Marshall, 21 -- the youngest player on the Jets -- was born. Even if you're not a Brady fan, you have to admire the man's durability. Fitzpatrick, who turned 34 on Thanksgiving, said: "It’s amazing to see a guy like that, that just looks better than ever."

He really is in fantastic shape.  The last guy I saw that took such great care of his body - eating healthy, always in the gym - was ARod.

6 minutes ago, thshadow said:

Signing Forte quickly to beat interest from the Pats doesn't seem horrible to me.  Didn't we used to always complain about Idzik losing out on his targets?

Macc wanted Forte, and he got it done - and Forte has been fine.  Not sure what the criticism is...

Cuz ya know da jets. Everything they do is terrible and they have the worst of everything. And they should lose to there hated rival ya know 

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Yeah I think it was Robertson they were rumored to trading up for.

Instead Bradway did it and they "settled" for Seymour.

another guy who had bad knees and was still brought in by the jets.  at least, in comparison to gholston, he did play well for few seasons and was capable of bringing qb pressure.

4 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Curious personnel moves raise questions about Jets' coach, GM

r108420_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&sc

One has to wonder if there is a disconnect between Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles in their GM-coach relationship. 

A look at what's happening around the New York Jets:

1.: Head-scratchers: General manager Mike Maccagnan's job is to find players. Todd Bowles' job is to coach them. Sometimes you wonder if there's a disconnect, based on some in-season personnel moves that have fizzled.

Consider:

Jeremy Ross: Cut twice, the veteran punt/kickoff returner was re-signed this week to replace the ineffective Jalin Marshall. Some felt Ross should've been given the job coming out of the preseason, but Maccagnan, who has control of the final 53, opted for the undrafted rookie. Ross returned for two games in early October, but only because Marshall was hurt. Now, finally, common sense has prevailed. Too bad it took 12 weeks and a handful of mental mistakes and yips by Marshall.

Austin Seferian-Jenkins: Maccagnan took a calculated risk, claiming Seferian-Jenkins on waivers a few days after a DUI arrest. He figured the athletic tight end would add something to the passing game, but the coaches haven't found a role for him. He dressed, but didn't play a single snap in the most recent game because of concerns about his blocking. His slow development can be attributed, in part, to a three-week ankle injury, but you still get the feeling the coaches don't know what to do with him.

C.J. Spiller: The Jets didn't need a No. 3 running back, but Maccagnan moved a small mountain named Knile Davis to sign Spiller. Many figured they got him to return kickoffs, but Bowles said that wasn't the plan. To the surprise of many, he debuted as a kickoff returner. Spiller has played only 11 snaps at running back in two games -- 11 snaps that should've gone to Matt Forte or Bilal Powell. Now Spiller may lose his kickoff-returning gig to Ross, who should've had it in the first place.

Ryan Fitzpatrick vs. Bryce Petty: During his bye-week meeting with reporters, Maccagnan explained the dynamics of the looming quarterback decision, calling it a "complicated" matter. He confirmed that Bowles had the final say, but also said he'd consult with the coach during the process. Announcing his choice a few days later, Bowles didn't make it sound all that complicated, also leaving no doubt it was his call. I don't know this for sure, but my hunch is that Maccagnan preferred Petty.

Owner Woody Johnson changed the organizational power structure when he hired Maccagnan and Bowles, setting it up so they both report to him. They're equals. There are inherent flaws in a system like that, and it bears watching in the future.

2. Mind-blowing stat of the week: Fitzpatrick's passer rating is a league-low 67.6. Peyton Manning won a Super Bowl last season with a 67.9 rating. Crazy, huh?

3. The Patriots' sneak attack: The Belichicks, who visit MetLife Stadium on Sunday, had their eye on Forte during free agency. In fact, Forte was at the Jets' facility for a recruiting visit when his agent received a call from the Patriots, who requested a meeting in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Forte was in a holding pattern at One Jets Drive. The Jets were awaiting test results on an old knee injury, and they were "getting the [contract] language right with my agent," he said. As an aside, I'm told they had some concern about his knee. Forte said his agent informed the Patriots' of the Jets' offer (three years, $12 million). The Patriots wouldn't make a counter offer by phone.

"My agent said, 'They want you to be in the building,'" Forte said.

Did the Patriots' late interest create more leverage for Forte? Probably. In the end, it's a good thing the Jets made the deal because he has been one of their most productive players.

4. Mind-blowing stat, part II: New York Giants safety Landon Collinshas five interceptions in the past four games. The Patriots and Jets have five and six, respectively, for the entire season.

5. Belichick's easy goodbye: Bill Belichick looks like a genius for parting ways with Darrelle Revis after the 2014 Super Bowl season, but there really wasn't much of a decision. The Patriots declined to exercise a cap-busting, $20 million option -- a no-brainer -- and they never got a chance to make another proposal because the Jets swooped in with a five-year offer that included $39 million fully guaranteed. Adios, Darrelle.

The Jets probably regret it, considering Revis' decline.

"I personally like Revis, liked coaching him," Belichick said this week. "In the end, he had to make a decision that he felt was best for him, and I respect that. It's not the first player that we've lost in free agency, and it won't be the last."

The Patriots replaced Revis with Malcolm Butler, who's making $600,000. I'd say it worked out nicely for them.

6. Hoodie-isms: It's always interesting to check out Belichick's comments about the Jets during the run-up to a game against them -- specifically, the players he singles out for praise. He gave glowing assessments of Leonard WilliamsQuincy EnunwaRobby Anderson and even special teamer Josh Martin. He said Enunwa is "whatever you want to call him. You can call him a tight end, you can call him a wide receiver. He's a combination of both. He's definitely a problem." Belichick compared Williams to former Patriots great Richard Seymour -- high praise.

In past years, Belichick's comments have been received with skepticism inside the Jets' locker room, with some players suggesting there's always an ulterior motive behind the compliments. Translation: Look for the Patriots to pursue Martin in free agency.

7. Explaining salty Pepper: Defensive line coach Pepper Johnson initially declined to fulfill his media obligation because the losing has put him in a cranky mood. It's no excuse to break the rules, but you can kind of understand his mindset. In 29 seasons as a player and assistant coach, he has experienced only six losing seasons, the last occurring in 2000 -- the first of 14 seasons as a Patriots assistant.

"I'm used to winning; I'm not used to losing," he said. "Losing ballgames and still coming to work and trying to figure out ways how to muster up a win is kind of difficult, being an assistant coach. It's hard kissing my grandkids and being happy because I've always ate, drank and slept football. During the season, that's what it's all about. Losing games is not good. It affects my life."

the jets didn't needa no. 3 rb?  or did they not need a third rb?  has this writer seen the way the jet rb's have gotten nicked up over the past few seasons?

Archived