Bowles: Fitz is Still the Starter…Still

JetNation

Despite his on-field struggles and pending free agency, Ryan Fitzpatrick will remain the Jets starting quarterback.

By Glenn Naughton

Believe it or not Jets fans, with their season even more over than it was 24 hours ago, head coach Todd Bowles is sticking with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Despite having just five games left to evaluate youngsters Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick, who will no longer be a Jet after season’s end, will get the nod to lead the Jets offense at MetLife Stadium next week on Monday night football when the Jets face the Colts.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
TAsVkmbjSxg

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

I'm starting to really think Petty just doesn't have it (which is obvious) but also that they may just bypass him altogether and go right to Hack at the end of year. 

It doesn't make any sense. Whether or not they think Petty has 'it', they spent a 4th round pick and have used a roster spot to carry him this far. Fitz is gone in 2017. Give Petty a few games - with no leash- and see what he can do. If he falls on his face, at least your suspicions are confirmed. But keeping him on the bench does nothing for this team in 2016 or 2017.

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

I'm starting to really think Petty just doesn't have it (which is obvious) but also that they may just bypass him altogether and go right to Hack at the end of year. 

I said the same thing about a week ago. They seem to be making excuses every week why Petty can't play, and Bowles said about a month ago that Hack was pretty much even with Petty. I agree with you, I think Hack gets 3-4 starts.

Just now, TJ said:

What a stupidity.    They're curious about Petty??   Why don't you let him play a couple of games and then make an "informed"  decision. 

He said they're curious....they're just not THAT curious.

They can't possibly have any clue if Petty can play or not, you NEVER learn about a guy until he gets his shot as a starter for at least a limited amount of time.  Hell half the great QB's in this league were found because they got a true shot due to injury not because they looked so damn good in practice.

1 minute ago, shuler82 said:

It doesn't make any sense. Whether or not they think Petty has 'it', they spent a 4th round pick and have used a roster spot to carry him this far. Fitz is gone in 2017. Give Petty a few games - with no leash- and see what he can do. If he falls on his face, at least your suspicions are confirmed. But keeping him on the bench does nothing for this team in 2016 or 2017.

I don't disagree with 8 losses they have nothing to lose but the excuse seems to be he's not ready yet and with a "Prime Time" game they don't want to put someone out there who they think is going to embarrass them. I think the thought is Hack is close enough to Petty and with him being a 2nd rounder if they're close to being equal you have to believe Hack is going to get preference. 

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

I don't disagree with 8 losses they have nothing to lose but the excuse seems to be he's not ready yet and with a "Prime Time" game they don't want to put someone out there who they think is going to embarrass them. I think the thought is Hack is close enough to Petty and with him being a 2nd rounder if they're close to being equal you have to believe Hack is going to get preference. 

Wait so at 3-8 the laughing stock of the NFL as we speak signing Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB after no other team wanted him isn't enough of an embarrassment? 

3 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

It's the "Jets Way©"

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Wait so at 3-8 the laughing stock of the NFL as we speak signing Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starting QB after no other team wanted him isn't enough of an embarrassment? 

Do the 0-12 Browns mean anything to you? Nobody cares that the Jets are 3-8. That's what getting rid of Rex did. It took us from a laughingstock to nobody cares.

Petty is NOT the guy....Bowles and the front office already know this.  He will not be on the roster next year so he's not going to start.  

He'll likely get a shot at the end of the year for a couple of games just to prove the coaches right...he'll suck and then he'll be cut. 

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

No debate means Petty is probably not the goods. Especially if Macc is trying to set this team up for the future. I don't get it.

Maybe. Or maybe it means that this coaching staff is coaching for their Jobs or for a future job and don't want to risk playing an inexperienced QB. So instead, they are rolling out Fitzfumble. This is a MNF game and they know people will be analyzing their performance. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Petty is NOT the guy....Bowles and the front office already know this.  He will not be on the roster next year so he's not going to start.  

He'll likely get a shot at the end of the year for a couple of games just to prove the coaches right...he'll suck and then he'll be cut. 

So why was he on the roster this year? They had Fitz/Geno/Hack. Why carry Petty if you know he sucks? What was the benefit? It makes zero sense. The only reason to carry 4 Qbs is because you thought Petty and Hack could both emerge as a player. 

This is a coaching staff afraid to take a chance. Plain and simple. Fitz gives these guys the best chance at looking competent.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

there are only 2 teams with worse records in the conference and one is winless.  it's amazing that bowles and/or mccags thinks fans will be happy if they eke by the colts with fitz at qb.

I think it's pride. If Fitz completely sh*t the bed yesterday, I dont think he would have had a choice

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

there are only 2 teams with worse records in the conference and one is winless.  it's amazing that bowles and/or mccags thinks fans will be happy if they eke by the colts with fitz at qb.

Which may just happen if Luck is still in concussion protocol.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

This is all on Woody. If he just says to Bowles "Start Petty, you're job is safe" Petty would start

Except his job shouldn't be safe.  Every day Bowles becomes more and more of a worthless POS coach.  

I'm now hoping he doesn't finish the year.  

Doesn't matter what he does from this point forward.  

Archived