So glad the Jets signed Matt Forte

Doggin94it

30 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That was an excellent allocation of scarce resources; he added a dimension the team just didn't have and came at a reasonable price.  Can you imagine where we'd be this year without him?

Yeah, you'd have to look for another signing to complain about.

He was on his way to another 1,000 yard season.  Is a solid veteran presence.  Wasn't expensive.  His next season commitment is minimal.

Bilal played well in one game, time to moan like it's a given he would have filled the role the entire season.  

Nothing wrong with bringing Forte on.

- Your run game does not perform to its potential when you are behind in a lot of games.

- Our oline is shaky if not terrible.

- We have rarely employed a FB or blocking TEs other than in obvious running situations.

forte has been okay, the biggest puzzle though is once again how he is used.  They sign one of the best pass catching RB's of the last decade and take him out in favour of powel in passing situations.

In the grand scheme of things the forte signing is about #10 or lower on the list of gaffs, blunders or mistakes we made in the off season.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

- Your run game does not perform to its potential when you are behind in a lot of games.

- Our oline is shaky if not terrible.

- We have rarely employed a FB or blocking TEs other than in obvious running situations.

forte has been okay, the biggest puzzle though is once again how he is used.  They sign one of the best pass catching RB's of the last decade and take him out in favour of powel in passing situations.

In the grand scheme of things the forte signing is about #10 or lower on the list of gaffs, blunders or mistakes we made in the off season.

Actually, I'd put it at No. 3, behind only the Fitz deal and signing Jarvis Jenkins, and ahead of the Wilkerson deal, in terms of long-term negative impact.

Matt Forte has not been the problem,nor has he been the answer.  This team has two superior pass catching running backs, yet can"t/won"t execute a simple screen pass  or dumpoff to save it"s life.  As far as running styles that would fit this offensive line, a bulldozer, dynamite, and the ability to levitate might be the necessary skill sets for success

The Jets needed another running back.  A team actually needs a bunch of them.  The Jets did not draft any, so they needed to sign Forte.   I ultimately agree with the decision not to sign Ivory-he was too beat up.  Khiry was a good move barring the injury.  

At this point who knows what they pick in the upcoming draft.  There are so many needs.  I can see staying pat with the running backs and picking Edge, CB or OL. LIkely first 2, as OL could not be BPA.  OL in 2nd.

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

That was an excellent allocation of scarce resources; he added a dimension the team just didn't have and came at a reasonable price.  Can you imagine where we'd be this year without him?

Is this serious? 

We signed a 30 year old running back to a multi year contract, when we also tied serious money into Bilal Powell, who looks even better than Forte, with a similar skillset. 

12 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc signed a 34 yr old QB a 30 yr old RB sheer signs that we are rebuilding for the future. 

When are you Macc lovers going to admit this guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing. 

I hear you but the fact is mac and bowles will get another year.  Ironically, bryce petty is going to save their jobs.

We need a full rebuild.  Mangold, forte, marshall, revis etc all gone.

If mac cuts all these guys, there maybbe a chance he knows what he is doing.

Powell had a great game yesterday.  But you have to wonder why he's not a consistent performer.  I don't know the answer, but that he's not a consistent performer is clear.

I also doubt whether he could carry much more of a load than he does. 

So I don't criticize the basic thought in signing Forte.

Most problems with the running game being less than expected I lay on the OL.

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc signed a 34 yr old QB a 30 yr old RB sheer signs that we are rebuilding for the future. 

When are you Macc lovers going to admit this guy doesn't know what the hell he's doing. 

I am not a "macc lover" but he inherited a roster with a ton of holes. The options were Matt Forte/Fitz/Clady/Revis or a bunch of rookies/jags for the last 2 years and a total rebuild. In today's NFL a total rebuild is hard to justify especially when there isn't a guaranteed franchise QB in the upcoming draft classes. Could you imagine if we tanked last year and draft Goff???

Macc is building through the draft with guys like Williams/Lee/Anderson/Petty/Simon/Lee/Hack/Jenkins/Burris/Edwards. But you can't expect him to turn the Idzik disaster around in 2 years. But his draft picks seem to be OK so far with a chance to be great if certain guys develop. Honestly. Anderson looks like a potential stud at WR. 

Unless your Idzik, and your draft class is awful from the start, you need to give a GM some time to build a roster. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I am not a "macc lover" but he inherited a roster with a ton of holes. The options were Matt Forte/Fitz/Clady/Revis or a bunch of rookies/jags for the last 2 years and a total rebuild. In today's NFL a total rebuild is hard to justify especially when there isn't a guaranteed franchise QB in the upcoming draft classes. Could you imagine if we tanked last year and draft Goff???

Macc is building through the draft with guys like Williams/Lee/Anderson/Petty/Simon/Lee/Hack/Jenkins/Burris/Edwards. But you can't expect him to turn the Idzik disaster around in 2 years. But his draft picks seem to be OK so far with a chance to be great if certain guys develop. Honestly. Anderson looks like a potential stud at WR. 

Unless your Idzik, and your draft class is awful from the start, you need to give a GM some time to build a roster. 

Timeout 

Macc brought in Fitzpatrick,Forte,Clady 

He's made some terrible decisions. 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Timeout 

Sorry, but these were all calculated risks and most thought they were good ideas at the time. Fitz was brought in as backup - if he wasn't who would have started when Geno was punched out? Everyone knew Clady was brittle, but Brick retired and they couldn't get the OL they wanted in the first (he tried to trade up twice I think).

Signing FAs is a gamble (as is drafting). You sign what you can to fill holes until the draft picks are ready. You sign to allow you to go BPA in the first 2 rounds. You try and make sure you can get out of the deals when you need to.

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Timeout 

Bringing in Fitz wasnt a terrible decision.  He was brought in to back up Geno and then he got IK'd.  After the good season Fitz had in 15 who would have not resigned him?  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

They are terrible this team is 4-9 with valid reason. 

Yeah, Idzik. You wanted Macc to rebuild an oline, defensive backfield, QB, RBs, Lbers, special teams in 2 drafts? 

I am not saying macc deserves an award for his work so far, but he deserves at least another year or two. His drafts haven't been nearly as bad as Idziks. In fact, i like his draft picks so far. 

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah, Idzik. You wanted Macc to rebuild an oline, defensive backfield, QB, RBs, Lbers, special teams in 2 drafts? 

I am not saying macc deserves an award for his work so far, but he deserves at least another year or two. His drafts haven't been nearly as bad as Idziks. In fact, i like his draft picks so far. 

Ok fair enough I can see Macc getting a pass on all this because Bowles isn't his guy. 

Fix it and fire Bowles and let Macc hire his guy 

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Never wanted him, never thought he was as productive as others (who generally just looked at stat lines) thought he was, never thought he was used correctly (he's a 3rd down back ffs, not an every down back), and honestly will be VERY glad he's gone next year.

Kinda tired of the Jets being the retirement check-cashing home of other teams ex-legends tbqh.

/shrug

Archived