Thinking Outside the Box: Hackenberg

Mecca

I was contemplating this scenario a few weeks ago, and now with Osweiler essentially out in Houston, this scenario may have some real traction.

Maccagnan hails from the Texans organization. He has a connection with them as well as sharing similar draft boards.

Bill O'Brien is universally known for being the head coach that brought the best out of Hack freshman year, and was reported as loving Hackenberg prior to signing Osweiler. 

If our organization has a complete lack of confidence in him, how do we feel about flipping him to the Texans for a 3rd round pick? 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So now they are out $72 million dollars a third round pick with no starting QB? Sounds legit.

They are out the guaranteed portion of the 72 million no matter how you slice it. He's gone in Houston.

There other option is start Savage next year or draft a QB in rounds 1-2. 

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Macc flips the 2nd round QB to another team for a 3rd rounder then he should be fired on the spot. If O'Brien and the Texans wanted Hack they could have taken him. 

The GM wanted Osweiler in hopes to win playoff games now. We've seen how that worked out.

So, do you see Hackenberg as the future of this franchise and worth keeping more so than a 3rd next year? It's obvious the pick was a reach from the day his name was called.

Just now, Mecca said:

They are out the guaranteed portion of the 72 million no matter how you slice it. He's gone in Houston.

There other option is start Savage next year or draft a QB in rounds 1-2. 

They will pick up another Jag vet like everyone else does. No team is going to go into next year with Christian "missing in action" Hackenburg as their starting QB.

There is lesson to be learned from this. You don't pay unproven QB's 72 million dollar no matter what they showed you in a few games. Redskins did this right. They didn't broke the bank for Cousins and gave him a prove it deal. Texans on the other hand screwed up. I like O'Brien. In fact, I started liking him after seeing him with his disabled son. I would like to see him successful but he did this to himself. 

18 minutes ago, Mecca said:

I was contemplating this scenario a few weeks ago, and now with Osweiler essentially out in Houston, this scenario may have some real traction.

Maccagnan hails from the Texans organization. He has a connection with them as well as sharing similar draft boards.

Bill O'Brien is universally known for being the head coach that brought the best out of Hack freshman year, and was reported as loving Hackenberg prior to signing Osweiler. 

If our organization has a complete lack of confidence in him, how do we feel about flipping him to the Texans for a 3rd round pick? 

lol, without ever letting him take a snap?

lol. lololol. lol.

Also, Tom Savage has good potential. Just another QB that I wanted us to take that we didn't. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

They will pick up another Jag vet like everyone else does. No team is going to go into next year with Christian "missing in action" Hackenburg as their starting QB.

Did @Pac help you come up with that nickname? 

Yes, that's how bad it is.

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Their funds are going to be tight with the dead money in Osweiler and the signing of Lamar Miller as well as the impending extension to Nuke. Even if they don't start Hack right away, it's an organization that looks logical for him as a destination if it's clear Hack is a hack in NY.

Just now, Mecca said:

Their funds are going to be tight with the dead money in Osweiler and the signing of Lamar Miller as well as the impending extension to Nuke. Even if they don't start Hack right away, it's an organization that looks logical for him as a destination if it's clear Hack is a hack in NY.

Pretty sure Hack will leave along with the guys that drafted him and not before. But between me and you I would pack his bags and high five him on the way out today.

27 minutes ago, Mecca said:

So, do you see Hackenberg as the future of this franchise and worth keeping more so than a 3rd next year? It's obvious the pick was a reach from the day his name was called.

So you think it's obvious Hack is a reach/bust.

BUT

You think the Texans GM is too stupid to see what you can see.

Best of luck with that.

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

Why stop at a 3rd, lets go for this years and next years firsts! No disrespect, but it's funny when fans of one team want to ship their garbage & / or unproven / untested & supposedly horrible players to someone else for high picks.

58 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I get it crush. Fans want to see him play. But 2 years of off season, regular season practice, and hopefully that's enough time to realize his potential. He's so young right now that if Mac sees the potential that 2 years from now he's still a young qb

Agree, Pennington was a first round pick and did not start until game 5 of his third season. So let's see what hack can do before we get rid of him. I hope he shows real progress in TC next year.

41 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

I get it crush. Fans want to see him play. But 2 years of off season, regular season practice, and hopefully that's enough time to realize his potential. He's so young right now that if Mac sees the potential that 2 years from now he's still a young qb

Not really as much practice, and coaching, as we might think.  

They can't even talk to these guys until April, when the couple of days here, and a couple of days there OTA's begin.  Once camp begins more then likely he will receive #3, or #4 QB reps.  This year there were WEEKS, that Hack only got 4-5 reps.  Once camp closes the #3 QB is relegated to playing "scout team QB".  Not even playing the Jets play book.  He impersonates the upcoming opponents play book.

Gailey said last offseason when asked why Hack wasn't getting any reps, "You can't rebuild a guys entire mechanics until the off-season, just don't have the time"    Geez, when does a young QB get real coaching under the current CBA.  

I know Hack and most young QB's hire mentors in the off-season.  Hack has another QB's brother.  These guys are pretty expensive.  With the situation in college that HC's want to run a simplified spread option O, and the situation in the NFL under the CBA, it is really difficult to develop a QB

1 hour ago, Mecca said:

Interesting though with some foresight.  If the Jets feel confident Hack can't play, then absolutely they should flip him for something of value.  Less than a 3rd would be OK too.

Being concerned with when a player was drafted is flawed logic.

It's like poker.  Sure, how much you have invested in a pot matters to an extent.  But, the value of a hand changes as it progresses just like it does with a player. The difference is there is no bluff equity with a player.  You can't win the pot without a hand.  Either a guy can play, or he can't.  If someone offers half, or even less, than what you invested for a bad hand... you take it.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Yes. We were having a couple White Russians jamming Duran Duran on his Onkyo deck staring at the Canals of Rochester and he came up with it. Guess you had to be there?

That was like an alley-oop to Shaq. 

You shattered the backboard.

28 minutes ago, flgreen said:

They can't even talk to these guys until April, when the couple of days here, and a couple of days there OTA's begin.  Once camp begins more then likely he will receive #3, or #4 QB reps.  This year there were WEEKS, that Hack only got 4-5 reps.  Once camp closes the #3 QB is relegated to playing "scout team QB".  Not even playing the Jets play book.  He impersonates the upcoming opponents play book.

Gailey said last offseason when asked why Hack wasn't getting any reps, "You can't rebuild a guys entire mechanics until the off-season, just don't have the time"    Geez, when does a young QB get real coaching under the current CBA.  

I know Hack and most young QB's hire mentors in the off-season.  Hack has another QB's brother.  These guys are pretty expensive.  With the situation in college that HC's want to run a simplified spread option O, and the situation in the NFL under the CBA, it is really difficult to develop a QB

yes the CBA is prohibitive but I'm sure Hack having gone through the season is going to get a plan for improving over the off season. Again, only being 21, he has more time than most rookies who are all going to go through the prohibitive CBA.

They can't all be Dak but look at like this. Dak Prescott is 23 years old right now, Hack is 21. Plenty of time to develop

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If Macc flips the 2nd round QB to another team for a 3rd rounder then he should be fired on the spot. If O'Brien and the Texans wanted Hack they could have taken him. 

Exactly!!!!!!

Ditto to the above posts!!

Also why would we take a guy who is underperforming in Texas so he can be put in the pressure cooker of New York!!

Absolutely Not!!!!

1 hour ago, RESNewYork said:

Again only 21. 2018 nfl draft in two years will have QB'S coming out that will be same age as Hackenberg. But Hack will have 2 years of NFL experience

But we (or rather some of us) who haven't seen him get one snap are already saying trade him he is a bust.  

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Pretty sure Hack will leave along with the guys that drafted him and not before. But between me and you I would pack his bags and high five him on the way out today.

Hackenburg has all of the tools to be successful.   To me the big question is whether or not he has the coaching.   I have almost zero confidence in this CS to develop a young QB.   When I read interviews with Gailey that they are waiting until the off-season to work on mechanics it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.   Why not hire Hack a personal QB coach for the entire season?   it's not like he has any other responsibility on a week to week basis.   is there all of a sudden a salary cap on the coaching staff?    

this team needs a HC with an offensive mindset and a sound D-coordinator in the worst way.   

1 minute ago, LionelRichie said:

Hackenburg has all of the tools to be successful.   To me the big question is whether or not he has the coaching.   I have almost zero confidence in this CS to develop a young QB.   When I read interviews with Gailey that they are waiting until the off-season to work on mechanics it makes me throw up a little in my mouth.   Why not hire Hack a personal QB coach for the entire season?   it's not like he has any other responsibility on a week to week basis.   is there all of a sudden a salary cap on the coaching staff?    

this team needs a HC with an offensive mindset and a sound D-coordinator in the worst way.   

Yeah.  Hackenberg's fate may be tied to whomever we hire next.  Say he does work out his throwing hitch.... pairing him with a QB guru would be better than just picking another defensive-minded coach.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

They may not be able to talk but Gailey can give Hack an offseason program, drills to work on until April. For all we know he's been lightly working on some of these pre/post practice. I'm sure Gailey knows enough guys not affiliated with a NFL team that can work w/Hack too if needed. 

44 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

When I knock Hackenburgh it's in a large part due to my belief in the ineptitude of this coaching staff to develop him. You are right it makes no sense. Wait the year to woek on his mechanics? Sounds dumb just to read it. LOL. I mean the Jets have unlimited resources, franchise QB is the holy grail and the they want to wait a year to start the journey. Oh brother. 

Archived