Bama vs clemsen... Who should i watch for?

HighPitch

I don't think Watson makes it to 6 now with the hype train leaving the station. 

WRs are plentiful every draft.  A really good QB can make most WRs look good. Not worth it at 6 unless it's a transcendental talent. 

We all know the Jets are going defense round one. Why lie to ourselves?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I'm just breaking balls. I do think Watson is a tough comparison because he wins without any one elite trait other than his brain and his balls. That's why I compared him to Romo, even though Romo chokes.

He to me is a more talented Dak Prescott. The problem is Dak Prescott would have failed here miserably. 

Watson just made himself some $! Someone will over draft him high in the first, but I think a team like KC with Andy Reid developing him for a couple of seasons behind Alex Smith would be the best case scenario for Watson.

Or the Giants draft him and he sits behind an aging Eli for the next couple of years.

Watson just made himself some $! Someone will over draft him high in the first, but I think a team like KC with Andy Reid developing him for a couple of seasons behind Alex Smith would be the best case scenario for Watson.
Or the Giants draft him and he sits behind an aging Eli for the next couple of years.

Yea, some team will "overdraft" the best QB in college. Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

6 hours ago, Ken Shroy said:

Great Game.

Kind of a shame between it being on a Monday night and taking FOREVER to play, the NCAA cost themselves audience. I understand they don't want to conflict with the NFL, but for f_-'s sake play it on a Friday night. They don't because some TV executive will say Friday is a bad night, but that's crap. Lots of people would turn it into a night out or a party. 

Jets need to take a long hard due diligence look at Watson...before picking a defensive back with a bad injury history. 

There's no debating who's the best college QB today.  Watson clearly is.  Back to back NC games, 900"yards and a win?  Who's done more? 

How his game translates into the NFL will be debated, I don't see where he'll struggle.  

53 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Yea, some team will "overdraft" the best QB in college. Unbelievable.

Yeah most dont have him mocked as a top 10 pick. He's had an amazing career and I think with the right team he will be a good NFL player.

But his career has relied on too much run and read option plays, which don't translate well to the pro's. He's more likely a late 1st or early 2nd prospect. But someone will probably take him in the top 10. Thats just my opinion.

18 hours ago, nycdan said:

As for Robinson, if I could get the RT equivalent of Brick at #6 I'd do it.  We need good, dependable line play so badly, it would be worth it.  I have no idea if Robinson is that type of talent though.

Nah I wouldn't touch any "cheap position" player, like a RT-only prospect, with the 6th pick in the country. A guard would literally be better value there. There's 1 RT in all of football that makes over $6.75m/yr - Lane Johnson - and he was drafted that high and later re-upped for so much to be their LT to replace Peters not to be a RT (however things turned out with him).

We're better off seeing what Shell has for 2017, being that he's only $600k per for the next 3 seasons, and some cheap veteran insurance in case he looks terrible or gets hurt. If he doesn't pan out this yr then sign 2018's best RT FA at $7m per if he even costs that much.

Save the 6th overall pick for an irreplaceable player who's unavailable or super-expensive as a FA. 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

It cracks me up the beating I've taken saying we need to do whatever it takes to draft Watson. Knuckleheads trying to tell me he's a 2nd/3rd round talent. We'll **** this up somehow anyway, because we're the Jets.

While scouts will love what he did at the end, they will also watch tape of the first half, when bama's defense wasn't exhausted and Watson looked lost. 

Just now, section314 said:

Maybe, but Mike Williams sure as hell can. If, big if, he's there at #6, gotta be the pick.

Well I'll just add him to the list of non-safeties who supposedly won't fall to us at #6. Trubisky, Garrett, Kiser, Watson, Allen (with our luck he'll be the one who reaches us).

We'll see. Rightly or wrongly - and often wrongly - the combine moves players in & out of the top 5 (or 6). 

24 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well I'll just add him to the list of non-safeties who supposedly won't fall to us at #6. Trubisky, Garrett, Kiser, Watson, Allen (with our luck he'll be the one who reaches us).

We'll see. Rightly or wrongly - and often wrongly - the combine moves players in & out of the top 5 (or 6). 

You are so right about the combine....every year guys like Gholston hit the Combine Power Ball. 

31 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Nah I wouldn't touch any "cheap position" player, like a RT-only prospect, with the 6th pick in the country. A guard would literally be better value there. There's 1 RT in all of football that makes over $6.75m/yr - Lane Johnson - and he was drafted that high and later re-upped for so much to be their LT to replace Peters not to be a RT (however things turned out with him).

We're better off seeing what Shell has for 2017, being that he's only $600k per for the next 3 seasons, and some cheap veteran insurance in case he looks terrible or gets hurt. If he doesn't pan out this yr then sign 2018's best RT FA at $7m per if he even costs that much.

Save the 6th overall pick for an irreplaceable player who's unavailable or super-expensive as a FA. 

Fair and good points.  But years of busting have made me start to value a great player at a lesser position more than a bust at a high-value position. Nobody used to like to draft Centers in the first round.  Then we got Mangold (albeit at 29, not 6).  So you get into a situation where there are four attributes to consider:

• Player upside
  • Player risk
  • Position value
  • Position need (for your team)

There are no unicorns in this draft for us.  The three QBs are all flawed enough to either be high-risk, low-ceiling or both.  Williams is probably the closest thing.  If Robinson projects to LT, he'd be in the discussion as well but I don't get the feeling his ceiling at LT is as high as Brick was at his time.  If he was, he'd be my first choice.  But if we take another high-risk CB and bust, where does that leave us vs. taking a rock-solid RT (who should be an upgrade over Shell and cheaper than that 2018 FA whoever he is). 

It'll be lots of fun to argue about for the next 3 months or so anyway :)

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

Because Mike Williams is a game changing, impact player. That's the kind of guy you pray for in the first round. 

Watching him haul in contested passes and outmuscle and out-position DBs last night convinced me.  He's the most NFL-ready offensive prospect in this draft.  That guy could come in an be a 1,000 yard, 10 TD rookie for the right team (clearly not the Jets).

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I don't think Watson makes it to 6 now with the hype train leaving the station. 

WRs are plentiful every draft.  A really good QB can make most WRs look good. Not worth it at 6 unless it's a transcendental talent. 

We all know the Jets are going defense round one. Why lie to ourselves?

Really hate this train of thought .  It's the same thing people where saying in the Cooper draft class .. He we are 2 years later Cooper is still far and above better than every WR in his so called Deep WR class. Jets need some sure fire Elite talent not the "Might be as good" talent ..

Mike Williams will be a top 10 pick regardless 

16 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Fair and good points.  But years of busting have made me start to value a great player at a lesser position more than a bust at a high-value position. Nobody used to like to draft Centers in the first round.  Then we got Mangold (albeit at 29, not 6).  So you get into a situation where there are four attributes to consider:

• Player upside
  • Player risk
  • Position value
  • Position need (for your team)

There are no unicorns in this draft for us.  The three QBs are all flawed enough to either be high-risk, low-ceiling or both.  Williams is probably the closest thing.  If Robinson projects to LT, he'd be in the discussion as well but I don't get the feeling his ceiling at LT is as high as Brick was at his time.  If he was, he'd be my first choice.  But if we take another high-risk CB and bust, where does that leave us vs. taking a rock-solid RT (who should be an upgrade over Shell and cheaper than that 2018 FA whoever he is). 

It'll be lots of fun to argue about for the next 3 months or so anyway :)

Yeah I'm sympathetic to that, but the answer is don't draft a bust. And if you do take on a big risk early then at least make it a QB. Figure we're winning nothing without one anyhow.

The 2 years it costs the team would have otherwise probably yielded 6-8 wins (upwards of 10, schedule permitting, and maybe 4-5 as we've also done). It's not like this is a veteran team in its prime with a 2 yr window remaining before a rebuild. The rebuild is here (and has been despite denials to the contrary).

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah I'm sympathetic to that, but the answer is don't draft a bust. And if you do take on a big risk early then at least make it a QB. Figure we're winning nothing without one anyhow.

The 2 years it costs the team would have otherwise probably yielded 6-8 wins (upwards of 10, schedule permitting, and maybe 4-5 as we've also done). It's not like this is a veteran team in its prime with a 2 yr window remaining before a rebuild. The rebuild is here (and has been despite denials to the contrary).

Agreed.  I'd be excited with a QB pick or Williams.  I would be very ambivalent at best about almost any defensive pick this draft.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

There's no debating who's the best college QB today.  Watson clearly is.  Back to back NC games, 900"yards and a win?  Who's done more? 

How his game translates into the NFL will be debated, I don't see where he'll struggle.  

I felt the same way watching vince young back in the day.  carry and will his team to wins over superior powerhouse teams.  Watson def played with his hair on fire but the NFL is a totally different animal imo.  

39 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Really hate this train of thought .  It's the same thing people where saying in the Cooper draft class .. He we are 2 years later Cooper is still far and above better than every WR in his so called Deep WR class. Jets need some sure fire Elite talent not the "Might be as good" talent ..

Mike Williams will be a top 10 pick regardless 

Cool. You want to waste his first two years with bad quarterback play, go ahead. Draft him at 6. It's the Jets way. Draft luxury positions in the top ten when they already have 5 young receivers they've invested in. WR should be treated the same as RB not in the first round for a rebuilding team devoid of talent. It makes zero sense. 

Ill just say what we all know and agree on.....

WE NEED A QB..... START DRAFTING QB's UNTIL WE FIND ONE. ...... Watson just put on film 2 of the best games against as close to an NFL Defense as you can get in the biggest game College Football has, if you can get him do it.

If you can't get Watson make damn sure you find another QB to bring in here, Mahomes II or whoever.

11 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Cool. You want to waste his first two years with bad quarterback play, go ahead. Draft him at 6. It's the Jets way. Draft luxury positions in the top ten when they already have 5 young receivers they've invested in. WR should be treated the same as RB not in the first round for a rebuilding team devoid of talent. It makes zero sense. 

A game changer, like Williams, is not a luxury, it's a necessity. Which WR, Marshall and Decker included, cause opposing teams to plan for them? The answer is nobody. Williams will upgrade this entire offense immediately. We should hope he is there for us.

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A better analogy would be me fellating Matt Leinart because Leinart was accurate with the football. The Mariota critiques were based solely on Waldman killing him non-stop and me buying in like a clown shoe. I like Watson a lot and hope he goes somewhere and does well, but I don't think he'd survive The Jets Experience™. 

If Watson goes somewhere that has a competent coaching staff and patient owner and fans, he could be a super star.  Unfortunately, the Jets have none of these.

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

A game changer, like Williams, is not a luxury, it's a necessity. Which WR, Marshall and Decker included, cause opposing teams to plan for them? The answer is nobody. Williams will upgrade this entire offense immediately. We should hope he is there for us.

Ok but whos throwing to him? 

Archived