How the Jets stunted Christian Hackenberg's growth in a lost season

joewilly12

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This feels like it falls much more on Mac than it does Bowles.  If, as it was reported and stated by Gaily, that Hack really didn't work on mechanics this year - as they didn't have time...After being taken in the 2nd round as a "Project" - In my opinion this is a fireable offense for Mac.

If you're not going to work on the mechanics or give him any reps how is the Project ever going to develop?

Well this  issue is just a part of the bigger issue this team has.  The Gm and coach are equals, they each report to the owner with no senior football guy in between.  There is a definite disconnect between coach and gm.

36 minutes ago, Pac said:

He had a QB coach who had never been a QB coach and then told everyone that they wouldn't work on his mechanics for a year.  They somehow made the situation worse by refusing to play him which got more people talking about the situation than had he just played a meaningless game or half.

It might be the worst "coaching" of any 1st year QB I've ever seen and it was brought to you by Todd Bowles.  Still amazed we have to deal with another year of him.

It's called an 8-year plan, duh. He's on stage 2 starting this spring... 

1. Standing there.

2. Standing there and talking to people.

3. What is a football?

4. Touching the football, and each other... gently.

5. Throwing a football.

6. Throwing a football - accurately.

7. Throwing a football to the other team's players.

8. Jets starting QB.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I think Manish reads this forum for his material.  Almost exactly what I've said numerous times on here.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Manish definitely steals material from JN. I'm sure he's got a username but haven't been able to identify which trolling douchebag he is yet. But I'll find him.

The writers definitely come here to see what fans are thinking, same for the Jets. I was told by one very high ranking official :) that it is much easier to read the forums, since everything is categorized by topic. Instead of Twitter which is a bit more random in nature. Plus the character limit on Twitter makes it harder to convey thoughts. Not an issue here, so the stuff you all write, it is without a doubt being read by writers.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The writers definitely come here to see what fans are thinking, same for the Jets. I was told by one very high ranking official :) that it is much easier to read the forums, since everything is categorized by topic. Instead of Twitter which is a bit more random in nature. Plus the character limit on Twitter makes it harder to convey thoughts. Not an issue here, so the stuff you all write, it is without a doubt being read by writers.

Why the hell did Idzik not listen to us!!!!

8 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Those ****ers routinely plagiarize me. Have done it for years. 

I am better at this than they are.

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

W/hen we get a new OC and QB coach, he will be good. Or if not, it will mean that OC and QB coach are also bad. Maybe also weapons, not sure yet, we'll figure it out as we go

Hello dbatesman. This is the NY Jets executive search committee contacting you. We like the way you think. Probably have a prominent role waiting for you in upper management. We'll talk soon.

Welcome to New York! Where a#$holes like Mehta and the media think they know more than the coaches and GM everyday!

Its a good sign they didn't want to play him imo. It means that they believe in him and wouldn't subject him to his first and only start with that hackjob you call an offensive line. He would have gotten KILLED. Remember David Carr? Got sacked so many times that a promising QB had his career ruined. After Penn State hasen't this man been through enough? 

2 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So two things, 

1). Reading this artical as posted is not possible on a iPhone. 

2). Jets draft a qb and tell everyone that this QB will not see the field in 2016.  QB does not see the field and fans yell he must have been hidden from playing cause he sucks so much.  Wtf

Another person that misses the point totally.  It is one thing to say, We have a plan and Hackenburg is not going to see the field this year.

It is an entirely different thing to not have a plan, not work with the guy, not improve him in any way and just stash him away for a year.  When he comes to camp next year he will essentially be the same Qb with the same problems.  Unless the Jets are smarter than nay other team that ever played the game logic would dictate that a small sample of game play in a meaningless last game of year when you are winning would be beneficial, even if ever play is to hand the ball off or throw one screen pass.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Another person that misses the point totally.  It is one thing to say, We have a plan and Hackenburg is not going to see the field this year.

It is an entirely different thing to not have a plan, not work with the guy, not improve him in any way and just stash him away for a year.  When he comes to camp next year he will essentially be the same Qb with the same problems.  Unless the Jets are smarter than nay other team that ever played the game logic would dictate that a small sample of game play in a meaningless last game of year when you are winning would be beneficial, even if ever play is to hand the ball off or throw one screen pass.

Very true, and I have blamed Maccagnan for that pick. 

BUt still his good outweighs his bad by a while

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Very true, and I have blamed Maccagnan for that pick. 

BUt still his good outweighs his bad by a while

I hated both our 1st and 2nd round picks last year.  Had them both on my 'Do not draft' list before the draft.  However I like most of the other picks he has made and I still think a few of his picks would be looking a lot better if the D coaches knew what they were doing.

This is a big draft for Mac as he cannot miss on his early picks this time around.  imo he has struck out on 3 of the 4 1st/2nd rounders he has made so far.

3 hours ago, August said:

That's why having 4 quarterbacks last year was stupid. Hackenberg got little to no reps, so that hurt his development.

agree four quarterbacks was stupid as far as limited reps go if ya cant throw you cant play in the NFL and have team success waste of a pick..

My biggest problem is that he wasted a year learning a system that Gailey wasn't even going to be around to implement next year.
IMO, fixing his mechanics should have been the priority. What good is him learning the system if he can't even throw the damn ball?

He hardly learned the system. He was the scout QB. His job was to mimic the opponents QB week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

39 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

See I do see and understand your point completely.  I also agree with what you are saying, but you are not seeing what I am saying.  I am quoting posters that have said the only reason Hack did not play is he sucks so bad that the Jets are scared to play him.  That's my point. 

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Manish definitely steals material from JN. I'm sure he's got a username but haven't been able to identify which trolling douchebag he is yet. But I'll find him.

I wish I kept the post/article, but back when I was at JI, Cimini lifted a post of mine essentially verbatim for an article.

4 hours ago, Kevin L said:

My biggest problem is that he wasted a year learning a system that Gailey wasn't even going to be around to implement next year.

IMO, fixing his mechanics should have been the priority. What good is him learning the system if he can't even throw the damn ball?

Meh - for him it's about learning football at this point.  I don't think a specific system is really the focal point.

14 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

This is true. They should have cut Geno but couldn't because Petty was injured in the preseason. 

Cut Geno??!! He was the best QB on the damn roster. Continuing to cut the best players keeps the Jets in a hole and it gets deeper. You say this because you begged for the Jets to sign Futz. What a debacle that was. No way for you to get away from that one.

20 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Cut Geno??!! He was the best QB on the damn roster. Continuing to cut the best players keeps the Jets in a hole and it gets deeper. You say this because you begged for the Jets to sign Futz. What a debacle that was. No way for you to get away from that one.

Jetdawgg one of my favorite posters on this board. 

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

I have stated this many times. When Futz held out after zoTA's there is no way in the world he should have been signed. That signing hurt this team as his play was horrific. 

I hope Macc finally understands that the roster needs balance and to stop listening to the mass mob of fans who don't understand Pro Football

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fitz at a reasonable resign price was risky to begin with but a long delayed signing whereby he wasn't even focusing on his craft by say PRACTICING was INSANE!!!

Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers and so on practice during the summer but no the mighty Fitz.  It was a joke!!!

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

He hardly learned the system. He was the scout QB. His job was to mimic the opponents QB week to week.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Considering that our new OC may have been running one of those offenses, maybe he was learning the system!

55 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

See I do see and understand your point completely.  I also agree with what you are saying, but you are not seeing what I am saying.  I am quoting posters that have said the only reason Hack did not play is he sucks so bad that the Jets are scared to play him.  That's my point. 

The plan of not starting him for 2016/red shirt year is because it was expected that he would suck so badly that the team would be scared to play him.  If freshmen can help the team win, they aren't redshirted.

34 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I wish I kept the post/article, but back when I was at JI, Cimini lifted a post of mine essentially verbatim for an article.

^Nothing to be proud of

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Jetdawgg one of my favorite posters on this board. 

^Post waiting to be neg repped by @rex-n-effect

4 hours ago, Pac said:

He had a QB coach who had never been a QB coach and then told everyone that they wouldn't work on his mechanics for a year.  They somehow made the situation worse by refusing to play him which got more people talking about the situation than had he just played a meaningless game or half.

It might be the worst "coaching" of any 1st year QB I've ever seen and it was brought to you by Todd Bowles.  Still amazed we have to deal with another year of him.

It is... 

And it is called a Jets special now three high drafts of QB and three mishandling of the situation.  Something the fans on this board WOULDN'T do!!!

4 hours ago, Pac said:

So to review:

1) The Jets drafted a kid and absolutely refused to play him because he was deemed a "project" and needed a redshirt year

2) The Jets refused to work on his mechanics because that's too much work to do in the middle of a season and can only happen during the off-season.

So they essentially drafted Hackenberg in 2017 but used a 2016 draft pick on him. Ladies and gentlemen, only your New York Jets.                      

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

If that is the case get Glennon and/or Taylor in here as the QB!!!!!!! :)  

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Lol. None of this is true. No need to lie on the internet with your trash posts. 

Archived