Cimini: Jets expected to release Brandon Marshall

Mike135

51 minutes ago, Stark said:

People really have to get over this love for Glennon. He is going to cost too much money, definitely has question marks about his playing ability and potential he is going to be 28 years old.

We do not need a high priced, unproven QB.... for fücks sake. can this Glennon bullsh!t die already. 

You mean an older Brock Osweiler doesn't sound like a path to certain success to you?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Marshall.  He's an interesting and exciting player to watch.  No doubt he dropped some balls but his overall production was down for a number of reasons including problems at Qb and the difficulty in replacing Decker.

If they both cut him and do not bring in a decent vet Qb, that's the FO saying don't expect a contender for 17.  Yeah that might be realistic, as in don't expect a contender anyway? 

Maybe.  Let's just say it would be confirming that.

I don't see how we improve by cutting our best offensive player that is barely making 7.5mil. That's really cheap in today's NFL. If Marshall is cut for salary reasons, Macc should be fired. Marshall didn't put the Jets in a salary cap hell. Macc did. And only after being one year removed from having like 50mil in cap space and some top picks. Marshall stays. 

12 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I don't see how we improve by cutting our best offensive player that is barely making 7.5mil. That's really cheap in today's NFL. If Marshall is cut for salary reasons, Macc should be fired. Marshall didn't put the Jets in a salary cap hell. Macc did. And only after being one year removed from having like 50mil in cap space and some top picks. Marshall stays. 

Marshall will probably get cut because he called out Bowles for being a total buffoon and Mac's prized signings of Revis and Wilk for being lazy, spoiled divas and this regime doesn't like insubordination.

I really hope he lights it up with Brady next year if Mac is dumb enough to cut him.

31 minutes ago, j4jets said:

I don't see how we improve by cutting our best offensive player that is barely making 7.5mil.

If he's our best offensive player we weren't going to improve anyway. He DOESN'T play hard. He doesn't sell out. He's chatty and was identified as one of the two combatants that basically destroyed locker room cohesion.

He was had for a 5th rounder. That sounds like NOBODY'S 'best offensive player'.

19 minutes ago, phill1c said:

If he's our best offensive player we weren't going to improve anyway. He DOESN'T play hard. He doesn't sell out. He's chatty and was identified as one of the two combatants that basically destroyed locker room cohesion.

He was had for a 5th rounder. That sounds like NOBODY'S 'best offensive player'.

He made Fitz look like an NFL QB for a season.  That alone is deserving of a yellow jacket.

3 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

He made Fitz look like an NFL QB for a season.  That alone is deserving of a yellow jacket.

He sure didn't last year. You know, when he was "playing hard"...And, really, that was two years ago on a 33-year old body. Time to move on. Not a model clubhouse guy and we have plenty of talent to compete without him.

44 minutes ago, phill1c said:

He sure didn't last year. You know, when he was "playing hard"...And, really, that was two years ago on a 33-year old body. Time to move on. Not a model clubhouse guy and we have plenty of talent to compete without him.

Sure we have a lot of talent, but still no one like BM.  Especially lacking a TE like we are, Marshall is bigly important to this team.

As far as not making Fitz look good last year, c'mon man.  In 2015 Fitz could get the ball around Marshall.  Basically all ya had to do in the red zone was put the ball in a window 8 to 11 feet in the air, within like a 3 foot radius and it'd be a touchdown.

In 2016 Fitz lost that ability.  I can't explain how he lost it, but he did.  Nothing any WR could've done to help $hitz this past season.

46 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Sure we have a lot of talent, but still no one like BM.  Especially lacking a TE like we are, Marshall is bigly important to this team.

As far as not making Fitz look good last year, c'mon man.  In 2015 Fitz could get the ball around Marshall.  Basically all ya had to do in the red zone was put the ball in a window 8 to 11 feet in the air, within like a 3 foot radius and it'd be a touchdown.

In 2016 Fitz lost that ability.  I can't explain how he lost it, but he did.  Nothing any WR could've done to help $hitz this past season.

OMG, we're talking about Brandon Marshall, not Julio Jones.

As Parcells said, "you are what your record says you are..." And his record says he's not a guy who helps a team get to the playoffs. That he made Fools Gold look like Fools Gold one season--and couldn't duplicate it the next year--is not a reason to keep a clubhouse cancer (or at least a carrier) around a team going nowhere. Especially when the Jets need to continue the development of their young guys.

Oh, and have you forgotten or just willfully ignorant of the drops, third most in the league?

2 hours ago, j4jets said:

If Macc deserves to be fired, it won't be because he cut Marshall, our best offensive player; it will be because Marshall is our best offensive player.

1 hour ago, thadude said:

WAH!!!!!  Why can't people take Petty/Hack as seriously as me?  WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AM_b_sle_what-do-I-do-if-baby-cries-at-n

Why do moronic jet fans want to overpay a 28 year old, have not proven anything QB?  We can pick up another below average to average qb for less money or draft another qb that would have more upside than Mike Glennon

13 hours ago, phill1c said:

Can you imagine if he did play hard? For not playing hard with our QBs, he's by far the best offensive player on the team. By far. I mean unless you think Decker or Enunwa are better, cuz we don't have TEs or RBs that are better offensive players. And our OL has become make shift. That leaves Petty. I don't know, its a close call between Petty and Marshall....NOT!

Locker room cohesion? Like when we continue to play Fitz while we are what, like 2-10? That "cohesion"? Or when our 2nd round supposed future franchise QB isn't even suited up when you have ONE healthy QB, that "cohesion"?

12 hours ago, legler82 said:

If Macc deserves to be fired, it won't be because he cut Marshall, our best offensive player; it will be because Marshall is our best offensive player.

You're right. However, Marshall still has a lot left in him. With QB playing "lets pass it to the chiefs!", and not having his #2 WR to take away some coverage, he still managed to get over 500 yards in the first half of the season when we were still somewhat competitive. Not his fault Fitz stunk like mf, Geno got IR'd and Petty was plain garbage. 

More damage control:

Brandon Marshall won’t make any QB suggestions for Jets this year

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ - DECEMBER 17:  Brandon Marshall #15 of the New York Jets makes a catch against Tony Lippett #36 of the Miami Dolphins during the second quarter of the game at MetLife Stadium on December 17, 2016 in East Rutherford, New Jersey.  (Photo by Al Bello/Getty Images)Getty Images

During the long spell between the end of the 2015 season and the Jets’ agreement with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick to return for the 2016 season, there was no shortage of people sharing their opinions about what the team should do at the position.

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall was one of those people and he was a strong proponent of the Jets doing what they had to do in order to bring Fitzpatrick back after a season that saw the two players connect 109 times for 1,502 yards and 14 touchdowns. The second act was nowhere near as good as the first as Fitzpatrick and the team slumped during what Marshall called a “rough year for all of us.”

As a result of the entire experience, Marshall says he will be sitting out any discussion of who should be the team’s quarterback in 2017.

“I think last year the whole Fitz situation took a lot out of me,” Marshall said, via theNew York Post. “I think that was something that made me realize I need to focus on myself and football. I need to do my job. My job is to be a wide receiver. Going into this offseason, that’s all I want to do is be a football player. I’m getting out of the front office department.”

There’s a chance that the front office will get out of the Marshall department as well. The veteran is owed $7.5 million in non-guaranteed money for next season with both the Jets’ roster and salary cap in need of work to get back in shape. Marshall said “the way I am approaching it is I’m under contract” and the coming weeks will let us know if the Jets are taking the same approach.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:34 PM, Mike135 said:
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini expects the team to release Brandon Marshall this offseason.
Marshall is entering the final year of his contract and is coming off arguably the worst season of his career. He had a 10-year-low 59 catches for 788 yards, which marked just the second time since 2006 that Marshall was held under 1,000 yards. He also found the end zone just three times after scoring a combined 45 touchdowns the previous four years. Everything can't be blamed on Marshall, however, as the quarterback play was truly atrocious. But Marshall turns 33 in March and is due a non-guaranteed $7.5 million. The Jets are going nowhere fast. Jan 17 - 8:18 PM
Source: ESPN.com

This.....

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Wouldn't Marshall get more on a 1 year deal on the open market?  If so why wouldn't we trade him for like a 5th instead of releasing him?

This.

You keep him, or you try to flip him to a contender that wants him on a 1-year, $7.5m deal. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This.

You keep him, or you try to flip him to a contender that wants him on a 1-year, $7.5m deal. 

I think that is fair to him.

I think there are a few twists here that people overlook:

• It would be nice if Hack, Petty, Glennon/Watson/Whomever had a reliable receiver to bail them out and catch the ball.  Marshall was not that in 2016.  He was that in 2015.  Can we bet on a comeback?
  • It would also be nice if the young Jet QBs had at least one reliable veteran to go with the young WRs.  However, Decker was pretty badly hurt last year, and who knows what kind of shape he comes back in (he did not look a patient in those wedding pictures though).   So, I think the Jets should keep one or the other.  I would prefer Decker for stability, but we don't need another player who sits on IR all year and gets paid too much money, only to have their contract expire or be cut.
  • Several of the potential Jet 1st round draft picks offer the opportunity to grease the cutting of overpriced veterans or avoid paying for a FA.  Were the Jets to draft a Chris Williams, for example, that could make cutting Marshall and/or Decker more palatable.

Ravens likely would 'inquire' about Brandon Marshall

2/2/2017 12:54:23 PM

There’s a lot of speculation that veteran wide receiver Brandon Marshall will be let go by the New York Jets. If he is, you’d have to think Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome would at least inquire, Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports.

Marshall fits the profile of so many of the veteran wide receivers that Newsome has added in the past, a group that includes Boldin, Steve Smith Sr., Derrick Mason, and he could be the possession receiver the Ravens are seeking to pair with speedsters Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman.

Like past veteran receiver acquisitions, Marshall is physical and intense, he’s got a big personality and he’d probably come to Baltimore with a chip on his shoulder. The Ravens’ history of letting veteran players “be themselves” would seemingly appeal to Marshall. If he was released, he also wouldn’t cost the team in the compensatory pick formula, which always factors into the Ravens’ decision making.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/61536/Ravens-likely-would--inquire--about-Brandon-Marshall/Default.aspx

On January 31, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Stark said:

Why do moronic jet fans want to overpay a 28 year old, have not proven anything QB?  We can pick up another below average to average qb for less money or draft another qb that would have more upside than Mike Glennon

Because moronic jets fans are tired of having their time wasted by horrible quarterbacks and want a qb who can read defenses and throw 

petty looked like a total JAG and Hackenturd looks so bad in practice Mac/Bowles have to hide him.  So enjoy that horror show next season while Glennon lights it up in Arizona or Denver

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Ravens likely would 'inquire' about Brandon Marshall

2/2/2017 12:54:23 PM

There’s a lot of speculation that veteran wide receiver Brandon Marshall will be let go by the New York Jets. If he is, you’d have to think Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome would at least inquire, Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports.

Marshall fits the profile of so many of the veteran wide receivers that Newsome has added in the past, a group that includes Boldin, Steve Smith Sr., Derrick Mason, and he could be the possession receiver the Ravens are seeking to pair with speedsters Mike Wallace and Breshad Perriman.

Like past veteran receiver acquisitions, Marshall is physical and intense, he’s got a big personality and he’d probably come to Baltimore with a chip on his shoulder. The Ravens’ history of letting veteran players “be themselves” would seemingly appeal to Marshall. If he was released, he also wouldn’t cost the team in the compensatory pick formula, which always factors into the Ravens’ decision making.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/61536/Ravens-likely-would--inquire--about-Brandon-Marshall/Default.aspx

Cut the one veteran who actually showed up last season.  Great message Mac

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

wasnt there one game with Petty where Brandon Marshall was targeted 11 times but only caught one? 

his hands have gone to sh*t this year 

Was that the same game he was trying to one hand catch passes that were dropped in the bread basket and giving half ass effort on balls that were slightly off target?  He quit on Petty, no doubt.  I think that's when the whole "he should be embarrassed" comment came about.  Because Marshall was calling everyone out for effort when he clearly quit on Petty.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Hands or effort?

From personal experience I don't think your hands go.  Ask me about eyes though...

Watch the tape on Petty.  He makes Geno Smith look accurate

The only throw Petyy can make with any accuracy is when he throws deep to a receiver running a Go route or skinny post 

Archived