Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

16 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Provided all this is true, then the Jets will probably combine both and draft O J Howard the TE from Bama . He's the best pure TE to come out in years, who can both block and catch passes .  As of this announcement by the Jets, he's my 1st round pick ?

no round 1 TE please

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, I'll be at the gym on leg day... be there, or be square.

I assume you're talking about your own tear-filled eyes?

Finally, someone that knows how to respond.

Orangutan, all of the above, 15"

did I pick up on the acronym the right way?

Backstory: detectivekimble has suggested to me in the past that he's got connections/sources, in jest I've recently started calling him Manish because Manish is always running stories with make-believe sources, and detectivekimble responds by pretending he'd like to meet me in person... thus showing a lack of humor, and the inability to run with something that could have been funny. Oh well. Another stick in the mud, I guess.

I like your "L" interpretation better, no homo of course.

15 hours ago, KRL said:

Jet fans are so phony, if John Morton came to your house and said he wanted
to discuss football you wouldn't even know who he was.  But now you're going
to tell me how bad of a choice he was?  Really

yes indeed.  Gotta love all the moronic posts in this thread in which people have already speculated that he sucks or doesn't fit or that nayting he has accomplished was the result of Payton, Harbaugh and anyone other than himself.  

So many of us here are so ridiculous that it is comical. 

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

The bold: exactly. So, the gripes aren't about running him out of town, so much as they are about the current state of the Jets, that dictated the bold.

I judge people on performance at their jobs not before so until I see how calls plays then I will judge. The state of the Jets is obvious and we all knew that before the search started.

14 hours ago, joenamathwouldn'tcry said:

Tried to watch a basketball game today.  Knicks sucking against the Hawks sucking, anyway, giving NBA officials replay is like giving a terrorist a chemistry set.  Worse than the NFL, didn;t think it was possible. At least this O.C  might bring a fresh perspective from an offense that at least,  gains yards and scores points.

Of all the games to turn off!  It went 4OT.  I've been watching hoops for 50 years and this is the first NBA 4 OT game I have ever personally seen.  I read there were 6 of them in NBA history. Best game of the terrible season for sure.

13 hours ago, gEYno said:

Rather than reading 5 pages, safe to assume that a bunch of Jets Fans who'd never heard this guys name before today are very upset about this hire and will not be silenced?

they have already claimed that it's a bad hire.  LOL.  JN can be hilarious. 

This is a good hire if you ask me.  The guy has served under a LOT of smart coaches.  I'm totally fine with it.  Having said that he is doomed.  His head coach, unless he has a come to jesus moment and realizes he made a TON of mistakes in all phases of the team will lead us to a terrible year,.

Once again the top draft and free agent cap resources will be used on defense, the OC will be given a total jag as our starting QB. 

The fans will love the guy the 1st half season as the jets overachieve on offense, he'll start making a few bad red zone play calls and by the end of the season he will be devil incarnate, like all OC's

The most thankless coaching job in all sports.

43 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is a good hire if you ask me.  The guy has served under a LOT of smart coaches.  I'm totally fine with it.  Having said that he is doomed.  His head coach, unless he has a come to jesus moment and realizes he made a TON of mistakes in all phases of the team will lead us to a terrible year,.

Once again the top draft and free agent cap resources will be used on defense, the OC will be given a total jag as our starting QB. 

The fans will love the guy the 1st half season as the jets overachieve on offense, he'll start making a few bad red zone play calls and by the end of the season he will be devil incarnate, like all OC's

The most thankless coaching job in all sports.

What about a shovel pass in the redzone?  Will he call that? 

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

We all knew we weren't going to hire the best OC in the league,can we at least see what he can do before we run him out of town. He is not coming into a easy situation so let's see what this guy has and go from there. 

Maybe, just maybe, he'll TURN OUT TO BE the best OC in the league. ?  Gotta hope, right?

I'm fairly indifferent to this hire at this point.  So many of the factors we're trying to interpret have shown to mean so very little over time in trying to project future success.  It seems like he's done well at his past jobs, so that's all we've really got... we'll see how it goes.

I think the real thing that we as fans need to get past is the constant repeating to ourselves about this complete certainty that Bowles is a guaranteed goner, and thus the connection this hire has to that.  Regardless if that's what we all ultimately want, making such assumptions is a very dangerous thing as a Jets fan, and you think we'd all know better by now.  As much as we may be ready to doom and gloom about next season, would anyone be so unbelievably shocked if the Jets were able to pull out a .500 season?  This mess somehow managed to get 5 wins, so with a healthier roster and even just a so-so offseason, it's not that unfathomable to see an improvement.  If that happens, Bowles is likely set for another year, barring it having been a fast start with a late-season collapse.

If anything, if this turns out to look like a good hire by season's end, that on its own could easily end up keeping Bowles here.

he's in a tough spot. the fans always blame the OC when things go wrong, we have some young talent but some of our established players like Marshall and decker may be released, we don't have an established QB on the roster.  Good luck John, I'm rooting for you but buckle up.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I will approve of this hire, only if he calls good plays, all the time.   No bad plays.  If he calls bad plays, then he should be fired. 

It is hard for me to applaud the choice when I know virtually nothing about him and do not trust the people doing the selecting

5 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

that offseason was a tough one, we were strapped and couldn't make moves.  we needed to bit the bullet on 2012 and our big moves were Sparano and tebow.

The big issues was that the Jets hired Sparano in good part due to the wild cat.  They then got Tebow specifically to be the big wild cat weapon and Sparano never put in a viable wild cat package.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The big issues was that the Jets hired Sparano in good part due to the wild cat.  They then got Tebow specifically to be the big wild cat weapon and Sparano never put in a viable wild cat package.

the problem is tebow wanted to be a QB and that's not why we got him. I don;t know if I blame Tony, he was in a tough spot.  that is not saying he was good but I don't blame him for that mess.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

That's because the league had already figured out how to defend it. Rex wanted wildcat, Sporano wanted to stay current with the league. That pairing was never going to be a success, they couldn't be more opposite from a personality standpoint. Sporano would have been a better hire as HC, if choosing between the 2. 

14 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

That's because the league had already figured out how to defend it. Rex wanted wildcat, Sporano wanted to stay current with the league. That pairing was never going to be a success, they couldn't be more opposite from a personality standpoint. Sporano would have been a better hire as HC, if choosing between the 2. 

Talk about revisionist history.  Sparano wanted to stay current?  What exactly did he install to make you think that?  His big theory was to simply things.  "Know and know you know."  That was literally the only thing I heard him say, and remarkably was the most coherent offensive thought I heard from him.  I think Rex just wanted an O that would STFU and stay out of the way. If you want to bash Rex, go ahead.  Just don't try to do it by comparing Sparano to him favorably.  The guy was a ******* horror show.

42 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

You do know that Rex handpicked Sparano.  He said so himself after the hire.  So when Rex declared Sparano to be "just like him", he was full of it? 

In one respect they are alike: Failure

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Talk about revisionist history.  Sparano wanted to stay current?  What exactly did he install to make you think that?  His big theory was to simply things.  "Know and know you know."  That was literally the only thing I heard him say, and remarkably was the most coherent offensive thought I heard from him.  I think Rex just wanted an O that would STFU and stay out of the way. If you want to bash Rex, go ahead.  Just don't try to do it by comparing Sparano to him favorably.  The guy was a ******* horror show.

I don't need your permission to bash Rex.

Sporano was a good HC for the Dolphins, and more suited to that role than a coordinator role. That's the point I was making. I thought it was pretty clear. I'm not saying he was good as an OC for us in any way, shape or form.

We hired Sporano after the league figured out the wildcat. Rex wanted the wildcat anyway. Sporano was reluctant. As bad as he was, it doesn't change the fact that he was reluctant to give Rex the wildcat BECAUSE the league had figured it out. So yea, in effect, he was just keeping pace with the league.

I'm sorry you struggled to understand this very simple point.

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

You do know that Rex handpicked Sparano.  He said so himself after the hire.  So when Rex declared Sparano to be "just like him", he was full of it? 

In one respect they are alike: Failure

I know. Rex was full of sh*t. If Sporano was just like Rex, then Sporano would have used back channels to throw Rex under the bus, and then look like the victim. The same way Rex did to him, and everyone else he needed to in order to ensure retention of control. 

This is what narcissistic personality disorder looks like in an power grab.

11 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I don't need your permission to bash Rex.

Sporano was a good HC for the Dolphins, and more suited to that role than a coordinator role. That's the point I was making. I thought it was pretty clear. I'm not saying he was good as an OC for us in any way, shape or form.

We hired Sporano after the league figured out the wildcat. Rex wanted the wildcat anyway. Sporano was reluctant. As bad as he was, it doesn't change the fact that he was reluctant to give Rex the wildcat BECAUSE the league had figured it out. So yea, in effect, he was just keeping pace with the league.

I'm sorry you struggled to understand this very simple point.

Me so stupid.  Me no understand.  Innovator is Tony Sparano 

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I know. Rex was full of sh*t. If Sporano was just like Rex, then Sporano would have used back channels to throw Rex under the bus, and then look like the victim. The same way Rex did to him, and everyone else he needed to in order to ensure retention of control. 

This is what narcissistic personality disorder looks like in an power grab.

As we can all see much more clearly from our POTUS.

Archived