Schefter: Jets to hire John Morton as their OC: MERGED

CrazyCarl40

15 minutes ago, varjet said:

If the choice was Morton or Godsey, two credible candidates given the Jets QB and HC situation, I can see how Bowles & Co could conclude Morton was the better option.  He has has great experience and has been smart enough to work under some of the top coaches in football.  This in my view is a very respectable hire.

They have a good OL coach and WR coach.  If they can find a QB coach, and a QB, the Jets can be more respectable.

I am not necessarily buying the "the Jets may not have a QB in 2017" argument.  They may need to sign someone, but if they pick someone available and through the righ tmoney at them, they will come away with someone.  As someone else has recently notes, Hoyer is a very respectable candidate to bridge the gap to either one of the 2 young QBs on the roster, or one that is drafted, or some combination of the 3.

I am optimistic at this point on the coaching hires.  I am more interested in the Jets moving on aggressively from the fading veterans (not all per se, but aggressively), not signing any expensive old FA stopgaps, particularly at QB, and drafting great players of the right value and signing some strategic young FAs.  Coaching to me is starting to pull away as an issue.

What about Luke McCown

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Tinstar said:

What about Luke McCown

On March 10, 2016, the New Orleans Saints signed McCown to a two-year, $3.00 million contract with a signing bonus of $500,000.

I didn't know saints cut their '15 3rd round pick QB Grayson this season. 

On September 7, 2016, Grayson was cut by the Saints and was re-signed to the practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Saints on January 2, 2017.

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

Looking for possible connections for a QB coach. Not finding any. One possible: Morton on Raiders staff when Norv Turner was there. So possibly Scott Turner recently let go by vikes. 

Mentioned this in another thread before the hire.  There is one not so strong connection to Jeremy Bates.  They shared play calling duties at USC for one year.  When Pete Carroll was hired by Seattle, Bates left with him to become the OC.  After one year, Bates left due to philosophical differences.  Went on to work for the Bears as their QB coach.  Was supposedly instrumental in Cutler's development when Bates and Cutler were together in Denver.  Bates was not retained when Trestman was hired.  Most recently, Bates was coaching QBs at Shanahan's QB camp in L.A.

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets are going to do what they think is best, but for me, that kid is the best offensive player in this draft because he can catch passes down the middle of the field, and he can help in the running game as an edge blocker .  When is too high the best place to pick the best player at his position and a consensus high 1st round pick ?

It would also provide a security blanket for lets say a young QB like Hackenberg.  With Austin Seffarian-Jenkins on the opposite side could be a good combo.  While you are convincing me to hope for that direction, I just think of how good the running game could be with Fournette.

7 hours ago, C Mart said:

On March 10, 2016, the New Orleans Saints signed McCown to a two-year, $3.00 million contract with a signing bonus of $500,000.

I didn't know saints cut their '15 3rd round pick QB Grayson this season. 

On September 7, 2016, Grayson was cut by the Saints and was re-signed to the practice squad. He signed a reserve/future contract with the Saints on January 2, 2017.

From what I can see, a closer look at his contract for next season shows a cap savings of 1,5 mil with 250k as dead money I believe . If the Jets wanted him, and the Saints were obliging, he could be had for next to nothing .

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

It would also provide a security blanket for lets say a young QB like Hackenberg.  With Austin Seffarian-Jenkins on the opposite side could be a good combo.  While you are convincing me to hope for that direction, I just think of how good the running game could be with Fournette.

I'm not as high on Fournette as others are, but my track record is spotty at  best . 

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't know the backstory here, so I am going to assume this is a joke. Please refrain though, threats of physical violence are never a good thing.

Right. I think that somebody told the Jet D the same thing this year before games.  LOL.  

Personally I do not care who they hire. I am convinced they have already written off next year.  Who do we have in our football organization with enough football chops to properly evaluate a new Offensive Coordinator?  Todd Bowles?  He make it sound like the man who never bothers with the offense is making the call.  Remember Rex and his OCs.  this is why we need a head FOOTBALL guy to oversee the whole team.  Is Mac that?  If he is, he has not got the power.

10 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

So we have a new OC who has never been a offensive coordinator before, backed by a Hc who only has 2 yrs HC experience, and can offer ZERO offensive support to him ha.. 

He's been an offensive coordinator before.

Amazing how the people who are "trashing" the hiring of Morton can't/won't simply
read his resume and find out that he was an OC for USC.  Which means he's developed
a playbook and called plays for a program that ran a pro style offense.  Just because
he hasn't been an OC since doesn't mean he threw out his playbook and has to start from
scratch.  Maybe just maybe he'll incorporate some things he learned from Harbaugh & Payton
into the offense he creates for the Jets.  Probably not because fans (who couldn't pick
Morton out of a lineup) know more about offense than he does

This guys seems like a very good hire.  Under the current circumstances a great hire.  

Worked under quality HC's....was rehired by quality HC's, was an OC at a major college program and worked with a HOF QB (for some reason people here have made the decision that working with a HOF QB was a bad a thing)

6 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Mentioned this in another thread before the hire.  There is one not so strong connection to Jeremy Bates.  They shared play calling duties at USC for one year.  When Pete Carroll was hired by Seattle, Bates left with him to become the OC.  After one year, Bates left due to philosophical differences.  Went on to work for the Bears as their QB coach.  Was supposedly instrumental in Cutler's development when Bates and Cutler were together in Denver.  Bates was not retained when Trestman was hired.  Most recently, Bates was coaching QBs at Shanahan's QB camp in L.A.

Good info!   Was Jets QB coach 2005

I know nothing about Morton, but his association with Harbaugh, Carroll and Payton is enough to convince me that there is something there.  I much prefer taking this guy who may be good rather than take the safer choice in Goodsey who has already proven to be pretty meh.

seems like the Jets did not have many options in filling this job.  He may nonetheless prove to be a good hire.

Not sure what else can be said about the overall decision, but I do appreciate posts talking about Morton's history.  I just don't see it as very illuminating info.

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

Right. I think that somebody told the Jet D the same thing this year before games.  LOL.  

Personally I do not care who they hire. I am convinced they have already written off next year.  Who do we have in our football organization with enough football chops to properly evaluate a new Offensive Coordinator?  Todd Bowles?  He make it sound like the man who never bothers with the offense is making the call.  Remember Rex and his OCs.  this is why we need a head FOOTBALL guy to oversee the whole team.  Is Mac that?  If he is, he has not got the power.

LOL! Yeah, It's not even February and the Jets organization has already written off 2017...Mcc, Bowles, CS are all coming to Florham Park everyday and just standing around saying "F it today we're planning on going 0-16 this season anyway..Who brought the DVD to watch today?" 

good lawd...

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I will say this about the guy which is encouraging, he was re-hired twice by two great coaches.

He worked with Harbaugh in college at San Diego and then again with the 49ers.

He worked with Sean Payton in 2006 in Nola, then again and 2015-2016. 

I already want him to be HC. I know, it doesn't take much. I'm desperate. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

From what I can see, a closer look at his contract for next season shows a cap savings of 1,5 mil with 250k as dead money I believe . If the Jets wanted him, and the Saints were obliging, he could be had for next to nothing .

True..similar to acquiring Fitz from Houston..

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I will say this about the guy which is encouraging, he was re-hired twice by two great coaches.

He worked with Harbaugh in college at San Diego and then again with the 49ers.

He worked with Sean Payton in 2006 in Nola, then again and 2015-2016. 

The next Jets HC. 

11 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You're annoying.  Let's meet in person so that: 1) I can show you that I'm not Manish Mehta, and 2) I can punch you in the face on behalf of the many JN posters who think you're a douchebag.

hahahahahaha I have been sitting on the sidelines watching the rhetoric and I gotta tell you it's going to be pretty funny by seasons end watching some of these posters eat their words. Bowles isnt going anywhere, this years offense wont be worse than last years and if we win 6-7 games with one of these young QB's it will be considered a win and he will have enough support for the following year. Not to mention that Johnson wont be here personally to make the call so unless it is a complete and utter shambles you fools better get used to bubba. 

This is not to say that I think Bowles coaching tenure has been an unmitigated success, but I knew he wasnt going to be fired after 1 bad season like a number of reactionary fans said. He is currently 1 and 1, a second decent season where we dont have almost the most injuries in the league, where one of those QB's play decently and we actually get some lineman to block and he has more than half a chance at a 4th one. Thats not world beating by any means but the bar here is pretty low...This OC cant make them look much worse than last year tbh.

11 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

You're annoying.  Let's meet in person so that: 1) I can show you that I'm not Manish Mehta, and 2) I can punch you in the face on behalf of the many JN posters who think you're a douchebag.

lol, I'll be at the gym on leg day... be there, or be square.

11 hours ago, Tinstar said:

As are you in the right eyes . 

I assume you're talking about your own tear-filled eyes?

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

tom-delonge-wtf1.gif

Woahhhhhhhh guys, this went from 0-100 real quick lol.

Finally, someone that knows how to respond.

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

A/s/l??

Orangutan, all of the above, 15"

did I pick up on the acronym the right way?

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't know the backstory here, so I am going to assume this is a joke. Please refrain though, threats of physical violence are never a good thing.

Backstory: detectivekimble has suggested to me in the past that he's got connections/sources, in jest I've recently started calling him Manish because Manish is always running stories with make-believe sources, and detectivekimble responds by pretending he'd like to meet me in person... thus showing a lack of humor, and the inability to run with something that could have been funny. Oh well. Another stick in the mud, I guess.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Amazing how the people who are "trashing" the hiring of Morton can't/won't simply
read his resume and find out that he was an OC for USC.  Which means he's developed
a playbook and called plays for a program that ran a pro style offense.  Just because
he hasn't been an OC since doesn't mean he threw out his playbook and has to start from
scratch.  Maybe just maybe he'll incorporate some things he learned from Harbaugh & Payton
into the offense he creates for the Jets.  Probably not because fans (who couldn't pick
Morton out of a lineup) know more about offense than he does

Is anyone actually trashing it, KRL. Or are you just keeping to the schtick of the mellow-dramatic JN version of KRL?

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

We all knew we weren't going to hire the best OC in the league,can we at least see what he can do before we run him out of town. He is not coming into a easy situation so let's see what this guy has and go from there. 

The bold: exactly. So, the gripes aren't about running him out of town, so much as they are about the current state of the Jets, that dictated the bold.

Archived