Report: More Jets Cuts may be on the way

JetNation

IMG_1722.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

While Jets fans are reacting to slew of cost-cutting measures the team has made in recent days, parting with Darrelle Revis, Nick Mangold, Brandon Marshall, Nick Folk, Breno Giacomini and Erin Henderson, there may still be some big names to come.  This according to Rich Cimini of ESPN New York.

If Cimini’s sources are correct, both starting safeties, Marcus Gilchrist and Calvin Pryor are potential casualties, along with Eric Decker, Buster Skrine and Sheldon Richardson.

Gilchrist makes the most sense as he’s coming off a down year and a season-ending injury, yet is due to count for $7.3 million against the cap, and his ouster would create $4.6 million in cap room.

Should Mike Maccagnan continue to wield his hatchet at the rate he has in recent days, and part ways will all of the above players, it would total just over $18 million in cap savings.  Cimini says linebacker David Harris is safe for now, but wouldn’t rule out the possibility of replacing him with a free agent.  Harris would free up an additional $6.5 million with no dead money on next year’s cap.

All salaries courtesy of overthecap.com.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
i-PjrZF8c9I

Click here to read the full story...

At some point you have to cut bait.  With Pryor at what point does "he's playing the wrong position" or the coaches aren't "scheming to his strengths" translate into the guy fundamentally isn't that good of a football player?

Just now, peekskill68 said:

At some point you have to cut bait.  With Pryor at what point does "he's playing the wrong position" or the coaches aren't "scheming to his strengths" translate into the guy fundamentally isn't that good of a football player?

I agree. If they sign Tony Jefferson, Pyror is redundant here. Bowles, for 2 years, and the Cardinal coaches the last 2 years, coached Jefferson up from an undrafted FA to a very good safety. Two staffs here couldn't do it with Pyror, a #1 pick. 

6 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

He's a safety that can't cover and he would be a linebacker that can't cover. This guy represents everything the NFL is trying to rid itself of. He was the worst 1st round pick in the history of 1st round picks, because he didn't have to play a single down to prove it .

7 minutes ago, section314 said:

Are you turning into Rickey Henderson?:D

Getting blasted for constantly dumping on Pryor... now allows for me to gloat in 3rd person.

In fact, this entire purge is what I have been calling for since week 3.  I feel truly vindicated.  That, or the Jets front office reads JN and are following my script.

;)

8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Getting blasted for constantly dumping on Pryor... now allows for me to gloat in 3rd person.

In fact, this entire purge is what I have been calling for since week 3.  I feel truly vindicated.  That, or the Jets front office reads JN and are following my script.

;)

Although in fairness, predicting that a Jets draft pick is going to suck is hardly a crazy gamble.

Skrine and Gilchrist are terrible and have always been terrible. The head coach is a defensive backs coach so presumably he wanted these players. The GM vastly overpaid for these players. Cutting them is 1. The right thing to do, but 2. Proof positive that the team is run by idiots.

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Although in fairness, predicting that a Jets draft pick is going to suck is hardly a crazy gamble.

I wanted Cooks.  But blasting Pryor wasn't a "prediction." It was observation.  It was clear early and often that he couldn't play.  Then Pryor had that little stint early in 2015 when fans started saying he was playing well.  That is where I stood mostly alone.  He still sucked, but most didn't notice because his glaring mistakes weren't taken advantage of by the opposition... but they were there. 

48 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Its the latter. I hated that pick in 2014

I do think they played Pryor wrong last year... They had him running all over the place and that was never him. If they could have just let him sit in the box more he'd have been ok...  But all that said... I can't really defend him much longer... When he was deployed in the way I thought he should be, he was still very meh... So I don't know.

What's he getting paid though? Not sure who else we could throw out there but I guess if there's a guy at half the salary that plays a little worse, no big deal. 

2 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Pryor sucks, he can't cover, can't tackle, does not make big plays, is injury prone. He should be cut, he will be out of the league in 2 yrs.

No team will be able to allocate its cap room perfectly.

Pryor is a 1st Round pick on a guaranteed 1st round deal.  Next year is his option year.  It will not be worth re-signing him, and unless he is using a valuable roster spot, not worth cutting him.  He can take Miles spot as a back up and play for his next deal.

By signing Jefferson the Jets pay big money to another teams cheap pick but get a SS for the next 3-5 year.  Could be worth it.  it assume that Jamal Adams is either not there at 6 or that the Jets do not want to use 6 for him.

The more I think about it, the Jets need to keep picking QBs.  If they over pick, they have trade value.  The Jets do not have a QB.  Somebody will be there at 6.  They need to pick one there.  If Hack is good, he can be traded for hopefully at least a higher 2nd than what he was picked at .  Look at what the Patriots can get for Garopollo.

But that means the Jets could not get Hooker or Adams at 6, so signing Jefferson makes sense.

3 minutes ago, jetscrazey said:

Pryor is a glorified LB

He is glorified garbage.  He can't tackle, he throws his shoulder at a guy and usually just injures himself. God forbid he gets isolated in open field, he usually just falls down. Helen Keller could take better angles in pursuit also.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

He's a safety that can't cover and he would be a linebacker that can't cover. This guy represents everything the NFL is trying to rid itself of. He was the worst 1st round pick in the history of 1st round picks, because he didn't have to play a single down to prove it .

He also lacks recovery speed and does not make big plays

Archived