Ugh! Looks like no Tony Jefferson..

JetFanatic

2 minutes ago, heymangold said:

another FA missed out on...

So frustrating.  They always end up getting the leftovers.  The secondary needs a makeover and the more we miss out on Free Agents the more picks we'll have to use in the draft to shore the secondary up.  If we don't sign one of the big name CBs it's highly likely that we use the 6 pick on Lattimore and his injury history scares the hell out of me.  If we end up getting no safeties or any decent corners in FA I would only feel somewhat comfortable if we use the 6th pick on Hooker.  I feel like if we can't trade out of the 6th we have to address the secondary.

The Jets clearly have a dollar figure for all these players that they will not go over and on a rebuilding team, it's the right approach.  It's the same approach Jon Idzik used, and was successful with .  We know Mike Mac is better with the press, so the draft will be where he either succeed with this team or fail  

8 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets clearly have a dollar figure for all these players that they will not go over and on a rebuilding team, it's the right approach.  It's the same approach Jon Idzik used, and was successful with .  We know Mike Mac is better with the press, so the draft will be where he either succeed with this team or fail  

Now is where we see how willing people are to go through the whole "proper rebuild" ... ;-) 

19 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Now is where we see how willing people are to go through the whole "proper rebuild" ... ;-) 

I'm 100% in on a real rebuild.  Question though - is there a salary cap floor that the team has to reach?  Basically w/ our current salary #, is Macc forced to sign some expensive players?  Or can we just sign cheapo rentals until we can draft Darnold next year.

I'm not defending Mac here but what FA will want to come here unless they throw a ton of money at him? With the Team in obvious rebuild mode unless they overspend for even mediocre guys they won't come here for less money or even fair market value. This is not opinion this the reality of rebuilding. The draft is where they will make their mark and hopefully they acquire more picks in the days leading up to it by trading at least one or two vets for draft choices. It's gonna be painful but worth it.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm 100% in on a real rebuild.  Question though - is there a salary cap floor that the team has to reach?  Basically w/ our current salary #, is Macc forced to sign some expensive players?  Or can we just sign cheapo rentals until we can draft Darnold next year.

Technically there is a "spending" floor, a minimum % of the cumulative cap over a specified number of years.  I don't remember how i works exactly.  I read yesterday that all but one team has satisfied that floor for 2017. 

I am all for a proper rebuild, but this team needs to start acquiring young players in the prime of their careers.  Not a ton of them, but a select few.  I was hoping Jefferson would be one of those select few.  He is still very young, and could be a big part of the team for 5+ years.  Maybe they will go with Pryor and Gilchrist again.

13 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Missed out on" implies we wanted him and failed.  There is no evidence of that.

being that the jets secondary was abysmal last season, you don't think they wanted a young, playmaking safety that has ties to our HC?

Just now, heymangold said:

being that the jets secondary was abysmal last season, you don't think they wanted a young, playmaking safety that has ties to our HC?

I have no idea who they wanted, or more importantly who they spoke with and offered a deal to.

And neither do you.

You wanting a guy =/= the Jets wanting a guy.

i.e. not every free agent who signs elsewhere was "missed" by the Jets.

Just now, Warfish said:

I have no idea who they wanted, or more importantly who they spoke with and offered a deal to.

And neither do you.

You wanting a guy =/= the Jets wanting a guy.

i.e. not every free agent who signs elsewhere was "missed" by the Jets.

as an experienced fan, i'm sure you can deduce who the jets wanted.

A lot of these early signings will end up being overpaid and under producing guys down the road.  If they were such bargains, their own team would have ponyed up to keep them prior to free agency.  While it is frustrating to see inactivity, better no one than over paying for the right to inherit someone else's cast off.

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

you guys need to calm down ...if this team is in true rebuild mode get ready for a very dull FA year

??

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

+1

And not for nothing, but that would be the best thing for this team.

??

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Exactly.

✌?

3 minutes ago, Stonehands said:

A lot of these early signings will end up being overpaid and under producing guys down the road.  If they were such bargains, their own team would have ponyed up to keep them prior to free agency.  While it is frustrating to see inactivity, better no one than over paying for the right to inherit someone else's cast off.

??

3 hours ago, Butterfield said:

I am all for a proper rebuild, but this team needs to start acquiring young players in the prime of their careers.  Not a ton of them, but a select few.  I was hoping Jefferson would be one of those select few.  He is still very young, and could be a big part of the team for 5+ years.  Maybe they will go with Pryor and Gilchrist again.

I am willing to bet $20 that the Jets starting Ss on Opening Day will not be Pryor and Gilcrist.  Who, I don't know.   

I would not be shocked if the Jets pick a safety in one of the first three rounds, if not one of the first two.

I have other views on the S position that I will share in a different thread.

1 hour ago, nyjbuddy said:

Heard that they could pursue Marcus Cooper.  Not a big name CB but showed some potential last season.  He's 27 and wouldn't be too expensive (compared to the big name CBs).

Day 1 signings are really hard.  Its tough to justify them for a team that is really rebuilding.   I think Macc is doing the right thing letting value come to him.  The better opportunities are in the draft.  At this point the only hope for more picks is either trading SR, down or both. We need more picks, particularly in the first three rounds.

Jets where never going after Jefferson with Pryor still under contract and there same style of player.. this is just media/agent hype so they can say jets missed out on.. 

when u got money and ton of needs they say your interested in everybody lol

Archived