impressed with free agency so far for Jets

Phillyjet

we talk about it every year, developing through the draft and signing your own players.  Everyone knows we are not a player away.  At some point you have to commit to player development.  Glad they are following the script.  Would prefer a cheaper back-up veteran on short-term money in the QB room, and then rolling with our young QBs.  If they flail, then we have a high pick in a loaded draft next year.  If they develop, then we are drafting our way to a solid team with a new look.

I, for one, am willing to tank, to take a chance on player development.  Otherwise, we'll have more years of mediocrity, and one-off good seasons followed by 4-12.  You want a big long run like the Raiders are setting themselves up to do?  You need to be willing to take the pain.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not willing to tank it at all. But I have no problem not signing bad deals on over priced players. Usually the smart thing is to pass on the big deals and wait for the bread crumbs that will trickle down some of these guys are good players who you can get inexpensively. Role players who can do a good job.

I keep hearing the term "over priced".  The market has changed significantly over the past few years. Yes some players wlil receive contracts worth more than better players under contract already but that's how things go.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

We are not close, never overpay for older vets.  I'd have no issue with having cap space left over for next year.

Idzik did that and got run out of town. He decided 2014 was a rebuild year and wanted to save the money for 2015. I can't tell you about all of the expletives we heard about him.  You know this fanbase. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

Idzik did that and got run out of town. He decided 2013 was a rebuild year and wanted to save the money for 2014. I can't tell you about all of the expletives we heard about him.  You know this fanbase. 

Idzik was run out of town b/c he blew a deep draft where he had 12 picks and ruined Geno by forcing rex to play him too son.

I had no problem w/ him not spending, acquiring picks, etc... as he was saving for that offseason he never got to run BUT when you do that you have to hit in the draft especially that draft and he whiffed badly and set us back 5 years in the process.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

Idzik was run out of town b/c he blew a deep draft where he had 12 picks and ruined Geno by forcing rex to play him too son.

I had no problem w/ him not spending, acquiring picks, etc... as he was saving for that offseason he never got to run BUT when you do that you have to hit in the draft especially that draft and he whiffed badly and set us back 5 years in the process.

What Idzik should have done that year was to trade some of those trade-able picks. Either to trade up or for the following year. There is no way you draft 12 players and they all make the team. He basically drafted for role players like with Saunders as a KR. It wasn't a bad strategy when you have that many picks and can whiff on a few. Those extra picks were not top picks they were 4th-7th rounders. He got roasted mostly for not signing expensive FA players esp corners. Actually he tried to sign the two top CBs that year but they decided to sign with other teams. So far we are seeing this in 2017 with us: players opting for other franchises over the Jets. 

11 minutes ago, thadude said:

when Mac and Bowles are both unemployed next January they can look at this thread and feel better

I don't believe this will happen.  This full rebuild doesn't happen without Woody's approval.  With that comes the understanding that this year will be a developmental year for young players and that also equates to many losses.   Why fire people when you are on board the the rebuild train and expecting 3 or 4 wins.

Unless they go 0-16 :)  

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

What Idzik should have done that year was to trade some of those trade-able picks. Either to trade up or for the following year. There is no way you draft 12 players and they all make the team. He basically drafted for role players like with Saunders as a KR. It wasn't a bad strategy when you have that many picks and can whiff on a few. Those extra picks were not top picks they were 4th-7th rounders. He got roasted mostly for not signing expensive FA players esp corners. Actually he tried to sign the two top CBs that year but they decided to sign with other teams. So far we are seeing this in 2017 with us: players opting for other franchises over the Jets. 

that was a draft that could have shaped us for the next decade, instead it set us back.  I liked what he did to acquire those picks and give us cap room(that was the easy part) but his execution w/ the picks was poor and ultimately led to his firing. hopefully w/ this total rebuild here we have patience w/ the GM and he makes the most of his picks.  you can't hit on every pick but you need to do much better than 1 or 2 of 12 like Idzik did.

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Correct. Idzik's plan was right, but he blew the execution.

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

we talk about it every year, developing through the draft and signing your own players.  Everyone knows we are not a player away.  At some point you have to commit to player development.  Glad they are following the script.  Would prefer a cheaper back-up veteran on short-term money in the QB room, and then rolling with our young QBs.  If they flail, then we have a high pick in a loaded draft next year.  If they develop, then we are drafting our way to a solid team with a new look.

I, for one, am willing to tank, to take a chance on player development.  Otherwise, we'll have more years of mediocrity, and one-off good seasons followed by 4-12.  You want a big long run like the Raiders are setting themselves up to do?  You need to be willing to take the pain.

Only guy I'm disappointed about not getting (never had a real chance as he supposedly resigned with his former team prior to FA officially opening) is Nick Perry, other than that there is nobody out there worth giving big money to, fill a few holes in a week, or 2 with the low priced guys still floating around.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I too am impressed with Maccagnan's ability to not acquire players.

Salaries are going up every year so sometimes you may have to pay more now to avoid even more in the future.  If you think you have found a good player.

that was a draft that could have shaped us for the next decade, instead it set us back.  I liked what he did to acquire those picks and give us cap room(that was the easy part) but his execution w/ the picks was poor and ultimately led to his firing. hopefully w/ this total rebuild here we have patience w/ the GM and he makes the most of his picks.  you can't hit on every pick but you need to do much better than 1 or 2 of 12 like Idzik did.

One of the key things that led to his firing was backstabbing by Rex Ryan. One of the others was his performance at that presser. I think that turned the corner on his getting fired. In two years you can not enact a philosophy and rebuild a team. I still feel he deserved a 3rd year. And probably with a HC he could work better with. As for ruining Geno he ruined himself. That excuse was also offered for Mark Sanchez another guy who got a million chances. 

17 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Idzik did that and got run out of town. He decided 2014 was a rebuild year and wanted to save the money for 2015. I can't tell you about all of the expletives we heard about him.  You know this fanbase. 

Idzik did everything right except he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag.

Just now, Beerfish said:

Idzik did everything right except he couldn't draft his way out of a wet paper bag.

He passed on a couple of good Wrs and drafted bums like Saunders, etc. But he did get Q in the sixth round who might end up being one of the best Wrs in that draft. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

One of the key things that led to his firing was backstabbing by Rex Ryan. One of the others was his performance at that presser. I think that turned the corner on his getting fired. In two years you can not enact a philosophy and rebuild a team. I still feel he deserved a 3rd year. And probably with a HC he could work better with. As for ruining Geno he ruined himself. That excuse was also offered for Mark Sanchez another guy who got a million chances. 

he backstabbed Rex first and I agree on the PC.  I don't think his job was in jeopardy until that PC.

He also helped ruin Mark, Mark should have been the starter but instead they had that sham competition and he got hurt which ended his Jets career.  I can only imagine how far we would have gone in 2015 w/ mark as our QB.

11 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I too am impressed with Maccagnan's ability to not acquire players.

I am likewise impressed at the lengths the Falcons went to in order to gain slightly better draft position during the Super Bowl. 

he backstabbed Rex first and I agree on the PC.  I don't think his job was in jeopardy until that PC.

He also helped ruin Mark, Mark should have been the starter but instead they had that sham competition and he got hurt which ended his Jets career.  I can only imagine how far we would have gone in 2015 w/ mark as our QB.

I saw no evidence that Idzik ever stabbed Rex in the back. All I saw was incredibly bad press on Idzik some of it via leaks from probably Rex via Mehta and Cimini. And as for who made that decision to put Mark into that game. It was Rex. And nothing wrong with putting him into that game. Nobody knew that Mark was going to get injured. And after his 2012 season no guarantee that Mark was going to win that job. The trend that year after RG3, Luck etc was to start rookie Qbs. 

37 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I also wouldn't mind re-signing Nick Folk along with Mangold. We will really need a good PK in 2017. 

This surest way to get better, is to hold on as tightly as possible to every player that didn't help us win, or is past their prime.

44 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Hard to fathom how you could be so misguided on this one.  Idziot wasn't despised for his philosophy.  It was having 19 picks in two years and coming away with a truck full of manure that was dumped on the franchise, instead of Biff Tannen.

1 hour ago, Phillyjet said:

I, for one, am willing to tank, to take a chance on player development. 

If you are saying tank - as in lose on purpose -  i would NEVER be down with that, but if you mean lose while we develop the young guys then I am all for that. In fact, I expect the 2017 season to be just that. I see Geno Smith winning the QB job, but Petty or Hackenberg will get a chance at the end of the season.

Just now, RoadFan said:

Hard to fathom how you could be so far off.  Idziot wasn't despised for his philosophy.  It was having 19 picks in two years and coming away with a truck full of manure that was dumped on the franchise, instead of Biff Tannen.

Idzik managed the Cap well... just didn't know how to spot talent... or how to draft... but if another GM had 19 picks it would be interesting to see what the Jets would have come away with

15 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I saw no evidence that Idzik ever stabbed Rex in the back. All I saw was incredibly bad press on Idzik some of it via leaks from probably Rex via Mehta and Cimini. And as for who made that decision to put Mark into that game. It was Rex. And nothing wrong with putting him into that game. Nobody knew that Mark was going to get injured. And after his 2012 season no guarantee that Mark was going to win that job. The trend that year after RG3, Luck etc was to start rookie Qbs. 

he wanted him gone from the moment he took over and sabotaged the roster in order to get rid of him.

Mark was head and shoulders better than Geno, there wasn't a competition but Rex was being forced to play geno.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This surest way to get better, is to hold on as tightly as possible to every player that didn't help us win, or is past their prime.

Any player you sign in free agency many of them come from non winning teams. We need a reliable place kicker. Esp on a team that might not put up too many Tds. And Mangold if the FO thinks he can still play as a backup or change in position could be a good signing at a lower price. 

he wanted him gone from the moment he took over and sabotaged the roster in order to get rid of him.

Mark was head and shoulders better than Geno, there wasn't a competition but Rex was being forced to play geno.

That's what Mehta said. Since Rex left he has no information. He is out of the loop. 

Archived