BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

16 hours ago, varjet said:

The league will not let the Jets start the season with Hack, Petty and a rookie.  The Jets have paying customers, live and tv.  They have to try.  

Cutler would be great.   I am on this bandwagon.   Actually, Dutch Auction Cutler and RGIII and see who will play cheapest.   They will get hurt and the Jets will still tank.   McCown or Sanchez works too.  Even Fitz.

Let Hack get experience.  Losing is ok.  

A mediocre QB coming off of a career changing shoulder injury?  His best asset (arm strength) is no longer an asset.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, August said:

We're the only team he's linked to and if they sign Cutler it negates everything they've done. But I would not be surprised. 

Cutler doesn't negate anything.  I don't understand this attitude.  You have to get past the notion that the FO thinks Petty and Hackenberg between them will produce a competent starter the coming season.  Once you do then you will understand the Jets do not have a starter currently on the roster and will have to look elsewhere.  Cutler is the best available option.

The larger picture is there is a fundamental flaw in the tanking argument.  In the NFL you can't turn winning off and on.  You can't build a team while everybody on it thinks that the CS and FO do not want to win.  And despite what some here seem to think, the fans don't want that, either.

Two years ago the Jets were preparing to start Smith for 15, and it looked like it was going to be a very bad year.  Instead Smith got his jaw broken and the Jets went 10-6.  In a typical year they would have made the playoffs. 

Cutler would allow the Jets to either go back in the draft for a Qb but one not ready to start, or give Hackenberg more time to develop, or both.  That makes much more sense to me than the idea that the Jets would go with Petty, Hackenberg and another Qb project. That ain't happening.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:19 AM, jmat321 said:

Woody inherited a team that had just undergone a massive culture change.  He bought the team on the upswing.  Bradway, Herm, Mangini, Rex, Idzik, Neil Glatt, Bowles.  Those are all on Woody.

Yep.  This team has been overall on a downward trajectory since Woody bought it.

31 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Cutler doesn't negate anything.  I don't understand this attitude.  You have to get past the notion that the FO thinks Petty and Hackenberg between them will produce a competent starter the coming season.  Once you do then you will understand the Jets do not have a starter currently on the roster and will have to look elsewhere.  Cutler is the best available option.

The larger picture is there is a fundamental flaw in the tanking argument.  In the NFL you can't turn winning off and on.  You can't build a team while everybody on it thinks that the CS and FO do not want to win.  And despite what some here seem to think, the fans don't want that, either.

Two years ago the Jets were preparing to start Smith for 15, and it looked like it was going to be a very bad year.  Instead Smith got his jaw broken and the Jets went 10-6.  In a typical year they would have made the playoffs. 

Cutler would allow the Jets to either go back in the draft for a Qb but one not ready to start, or give Hackenberg more time to develop, or both.  That makes much more sense to me than the idea that the Jets would go with Petty, Hackenberg and another Qb project. That ain't happening.

It negates it because since we're rebuilding you either need to see what Petty and Hackenberg has, or if you go outside then you either bring in quarterbacks that are young with upside like Geno, or making a trade for someone like McCarron, Garropollo, or Siemian. If you bring in a veteran then you usually go for the McCown types. Cutler isn't coming here to mentor the young guys, he probably still believes he can be a franchise guy. If we were a win now team then it would make sense. We are rebuilding so we need a young quarterback to build with. The only way I can see Cutler coming here is if he agrees to play the veteran mentor role and take a journeyman salary. Otherwise he doesn't make any sense for what we are doing now. 

18 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

A mediocre QB coming off of a career changing shoulder injury?  His best asset (arm strength) is no longer an asset.

We really don't know that yet.  75% of this forum didn't want Peyton Manning when he went to Denver because of his neck issues.

In the end I think we are getting a medicore QB no matter what, it is all a matter of how much and for how long.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

We really don't know that yet.  75% of this forum didn't want Peyton Manning when he went to Denver because of his neck issues.

In the end I think we are getting a medicore QB no matter what, it is all a matter of how much and for how long.

Watch us give Cutler a bigger contract than what Glennon got from Chicago

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I think it's well established that a torn labrum in the throwing shoulder is a career changer.  Old, but good article:

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2004/05/labrum_it_nearly_killed_him.html

Cutler.jpg

Ian Rapoport is reporting that the Jets have been in touch with recently released Jay Cutler and a visit is likely.

Cutler, who will soon turn 34, is entering his 12th NFL season. He has thrown for over 32,000 yards in his career with 208 TDs and 146 INTs. He definitely would fill the need for a veteran QB. But the Jets are in rebuild mode, so it is very unlikely they would consider Cutler for anything more than a stop gap role.

The Chicago Bears released Cutler last week after he spent 8 seasons with the team. He was originally drafted by the Denver Broncos in the 1st round of the 2006 draft. Matt Leinart from USC was selected one pick before him. That was also the same draft that saw the Jets select D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold in the 1st round.

Here is a very active thread from our forums about the Jets interest in Jay Cutler.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
vtaMVvFurgE

Click here to read the full story...

5 hours ago, August said:

It negates it because since we're rebuilding you either need to see what Petty and Hackenberg has, or if you go outside then you either bring in quarterbacks that are young with upside like Geno, or making a trade for someone like McCarron, Garropollo, or Siemian. If you bring in a veteran then you usually go for the McCown types. Cutler isn't coming here to mentor the young guys, he probably still believes he can be a franchise guy. If we were a win now team then it would make sense. We are rebuilding so we need a young quarterback to build with. The only way I can see Cutler coming here is if he agrees to play the veteran mentor role and take a journeyman salary. Otherwise he doesn't make any sense for what we are doing now. 

Smith has no upside. 

I have spoken about Petty and Hackenberg several times and again the point is there is no reason to think the FO wants to go into the coming season with only those two.  There is no reason to think either is likely to be good enough to start.  Perhaps Hack may be ready at some point in the future, if then.

You don't rebuild with young guys you don't have confidence in.  That's not rebuilding.  It's giving up.  Is there any good reason to think the FO thinks it a good idea to have either Petty or Hackenberg be the starter on Opening Day?

Nope.

Mentoring is an overrated concept.  It's the job of the CS to develop players.  Sure the vets also must lead by example, and of course Cutler gets criticism on that front.  I don't think he's as bad as the image, though. 

More generally I see people criticizing Cutler's physical condition. I know of no reason to think he's not healthy. 

6 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Smith has no upside. 

I have spoken about Petty and Hackenberg several times and again the point is there is no reason to think the FO wants to go into the coming season with only those two.  There is no reason to think either is likely to be good enough to start.  Perhaps Hack may be ready at some point in the future, if then.

You don't rebuild with young guys you don't have confidence in.  That's not rebuilding.  It's giving up.  Is there any good reason to think the FO thinks it a good idea to have either Petty or Hackenberg be the starter on Opening Day?

Nope.

Mentoring is an overrated concept.  It's the job of the CS to develop players.  Sure the vets also must lead by example, and of course Cutler gets criticism on that front.  I don't think he's as bad as the image, though. 

More generally I see people criticizing Cutler's physical condition. I know of no reason to think he's not healthy. 

I never said that the Jets should go into the season with just Petty and Hackenberg. I said if the Jets sign a quarterback they need a veteran like a McCown or a Keenum to hold the fort who'll also be cheap, until one of the young guys take over someone who'll head to the bench and play the mentor role and not cause problems. Or sign someone young with upside like your favorite quarterback Geno or McCarron etc. Cutler isn't a young quarterback with upside nor is he willing to accept a mentor role and step aside without any drama. Cutler doesn't fit the bill for what a rebuilding team needs at the quarterback position at this time. Let a team like Denver or Houston who is in win now mode give him a look. 

You have no clue why pay cutler to win 4 games? How do u find out if qb can play if you don't play him? There are, a, list of good of good qb's who took few yrs to develope! Petty played 4 games came off injury 7 weeks, got no reps with 1st team all season! You are clueless

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

As I told you Cutler advocates...

NOBODY WANTS TO WORK WITH HIM!  Coaches and teammates that worked with him before can barely find a positive thing to say about him. 

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jay-cutler-wont-necessarily-play-in-2017/

He will probably latch on somewhere this summer due to injury and necessity, but it will be somewhat reluctantly from the team's perspective.

Cutler is twice as good as any qb the jets have on their roster at this time.  If the object of the game is to have a guy that knows how to play the game, has a good arm and will take a hit to make a play then he has those things.

If the object of the game is to be a 38 year old jag who is a good mentor for to highly suspect prospects then we have it right as is.

Good guys and nice boys who can't play a lick over a snarky bastards that have some ability.  We may at least win Mr QB congeniality next year though so we have that going for us at least.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Cutler is twice as good as any qb the jets have on their roster at this time.  If the object of the game is to have a guy that knows how to play the game, has a good arm and will take a hit to make a play then he has those things.

If the object of the game is to be a 38 year old jag who is a good mentor for to highly suspect prospects then we have it right as is.

Good guys and nice boys who can't play a lick over a snarky bastards that have some ability.  We may at least win Mr QB congeniality next year though so we have that going for us at least.

You must be one of those season ticket holders that is more interested in watching the jets beat the bills in week 13 on the way to a 6-10 record. 

There's a reason no other team has signed him. The goal this year is to develop the young guys, not go from 4-12 to 6-10 with a washed up cancer. 

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You must be one of those season ticket holders that is more interested in watching the jets beat the bills in week 13 on the way to a 6-10 record. 

There's a reason no other team has signed him. The goal this year is to develop the young guys, not go from 4-12 to 6-10 with a washed up cancer. 

No. The goal this year is to win games. Not to go into an endless spiral of rebuilding and losing. Every year there are surprise teams like Atlanta last year and Carolina two years ago. We have more talent than you think. 

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

No. The goal this year is to win games. Not to go into an endless spiral of rebuilding and losing. Every year there are surprise teams like Atlanta last year and Carolina two years ago. We have more talent than you think. 

No. Their goal is to win Super Bowls. Not to go into an endless spiral of mediocre seasons on the hopes everything breaks right and we make the playoffs at 9-7 and never land a franchise QB. Cutler is a spineless knucklehead with a huge arm. He can win starting jobs without a problem, but he will take us as far as he has taken the other teams he has played with (NOWHERE). 

44 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No. Their goal is to win Super Bowls. Not to go into an endless spiral of mediocre seasons on the hopes everything breaks right and we make the playoffs at 9-7 and never land a franchise QB. Cutler is a spineless knucklehead with a huge arm. He can win starting jobs without a problem, but he will take us as far as he has taken the other teams he has played with (NOWHERE). 

The Giants and other teams have taken 9 W seasons into winning a SB. If you are good and competitive you can win a ring. There are no great teams in the NFL. And you don't have to have a great Qb. They are hard to find. If you find one great. But you don't put all your resources into one position. Qb is overrated, anyways. You can win with McCown. 

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I'm by no means an advocate for signing Cutler but this offseason has been a gigantic wet fart

Just now, phill1c said:

You don't build a long-winning team by overpaying for free agents.

Or have you missed the last decade of Jets football?

Oh I forgot we didn't like miss the playoffs 6 straight years now -- and that had nothing to do with attrocious qb play it was because we had veterans

4 minutes ago, thadude said:

Oh I forgot we didn't like miss the playoffs 6 straight years now -- and that had nothing to do with attrocious qb play it was because we had veterans

Veterans like Revis. Veterans like Cromartie. Veterans like Breno Giacommini. Veterans like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Veterans like Tim Tebow. Veterans like Santonio Holmes.

Your argument seems to advocate doing what we always do while expecting something different to happen.

But, probably, you know this already...

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Veterans like Revis. Veterans like Cromartie. Veterans like Breno Giacommini. Veterans like Ryan Fitzpatrick. Veterans like Tim Tebow. Veterans like Santonio Holmes.

Your argument seems to advocate doing what we always do while expecting something different to happen.

Who cares if we get to see young crap like Hack/Petty?  Crap is crap

Enjoy watching our veterans on the patriot and giant rosters in next year's Super Bowl btw

8 hours ago, thadude said:

I'm by no means an advocate for signing Cutler but this offseason has been a gigantic wet fart

You know that is by design and in the best interest of the franchise? Unless your doctor told you that you have one year to live or your an impatient 9 year old, you should be thrilled that this team isn't going for the "quick fix"/"win now" mentality that would get us from 4-12 to 7-9 or 8-8. 

9 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

The Giants and other teams have taken 9 W seasons into winning a SB. If you are good and competitive you can win a ring. There are no great teams in the NFL. And you don't have to have a great Qb. They are hard to find. If you find one great. But you don't put all your resources into one position. Qb is overrated, anyways. You can win with McCown. 

Yes, you need a great QB or at least a very very good QB. Look at the vast majority of super bowl winning teams the last 20 years or so. Rodgers/Brees/Manning/Manning/Brady/Ben/Wilson. Even guys like Flacco are legit franchise QBs and infinitely better than the likes of Cutler/Mccown. Once in 20 years you get a clown like Dilfer winning it all provided  he was surrounded by an all time great defense. You think our defense is close to be an all time great defense????

Back in the early days of Rex, we had a great defense, very good oline and running game so for a team like that it was OK to try and win with a scrub QB and we almost made it to the Super Bowl with Sanchez. 

17 hours ago, RoadFan said:

As I told you Cutler advocates...

NOBODY WANTS TO WORK WITH HIM!  Coaches and teammates that worked with him before can barely find a positive thing to say about him. 

http://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/jay-cutler-wont-necessarily-play-in-2017/

He will probably latch on somewhere this summer due to injury and necessity, but it will be somewhat reluctantly from the team's perspective.

As big of a jack ass as he is, he's hands down the best available QB in FA this year.  Like or not, he's a top 32 QB in the NFL.  He will 100% be signed if HE wants to play in 2017.

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

Like it or not we had a couple good years while Santonio was here during Cromarties first tenure. 

14 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

No, I'll be happy if the jets tank iof it means getting a real QB.  My response was to those people putting cutler down.  If you are saying I don;t want cutler because he will be too good, fine.  If you are saying I don;t want cutler because he is not a choir boy then you are of base big time.

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Like it or not we had a couple good years while Santonio was here during Cromarties first tenure. 

And the ultimate prize eluded us. And now we're six years in the desert.

I mean, I get that disagreement is your thing and all. but what are you advocating, exactly?

Archived