BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

If only Bowles would do what Marshall is accused of.  It should come from the coaches before other players.  But Bowles and his defensive coaches seem to have just as bad of a laissez-faire attitude as did Rex and his collection of pals and cronies. 

We replaced Rex with a very similar type of headcoach when it comes down to managing the players.  Just no big mouth and media mongering the way Rex liked to be.

Bowles is a joke in that regard and it was evident very early this year in off season work outs and in camp.  Shel rich has about 3 'excused' absence by the coach and at that time I asked why this guy was getting so many days off and was shouted down on these forums.

Rex pout players in the hall of fame and never took them to task for bad play.  Bowles talks a good game but doe snot deliver at all.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He did indeed, but he was not only the last one but the ONLY one that seemed to speak out.

Him speaking out is like showing up to an AA meeting drunk and preaching to everyone on how messed up THEY are. Have you every been in a locker room? There is a time to speak, and a time to shut up. Marshall has yet to figure out when that time is.

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Jason La Canfora‏ @JasonLaCanfora

Jets continuing to keep tabs on QB Jay Cutler. A free agent visit there isn't out of the question.

I remember Esiason talking up Cutler BIG TIME. Now..too little, too late but in 2011 oe 2012? maybe a better fit.

I have no problem with us signing Cutler. He's probably the best available Qb out there and in a run based offense with two good backs who are excellent receivers he should be successful. If the D is terrible like last year then if we have to always play from behind he will throw picks. Not as many as Fitz but he will throw a lot of them. It would be a step in the right direction. It doesn't matter that the guy is an a-hole. Last year Jets teammates loved their starting Qb and the guy played poorly. 

21 hours ago, HessStation said:

Cutler 10MMper >>>>>>>>>>>>Glennon 15MMper

if the Jets are truly in rebuild mode (which it looks like they are now ) Cutler for one or two years on the cheap would not be all that bad . Maybe he implodes getting us a better pick . 

Cutler is a prime example of why Woody's organizational structure is a problem.  You have a coaching staff who wants to win now probably pressing for Cutler vs. a GM who should have a longer term view likely wanting to develop his draft picks. Signing Cuter to start will likely win more games than starting Petty, but it will reduce Hack's reps and could lead to another 4 QB red-shirt roster if they draft a QB this year (unless Hack is deemed good enough to be named backup and Petty is cut).

27 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I remember Esiason talking up Cutler BIG TIME. Now..too little, too late but in 2011 oe 2012? maybe a better fit.

what exactly are you looking for ? Cutler will be a 1 to 2 year QB on a rebuilding team ...I mean are you looking to win ? We just dumped a load of Vets making it obvious this year means pretty much nothing

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

This could be our starting qb

IMG_4295.JPG

Much like grapefruits the worse looking they are on the outside the better they are in the inside.  Look at all the pretty boys QBs?  David Carr, Jesse Palmer, Hackenburg, Tebow.... All pretty but they suck!

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

if the Jets are truly in rebuild mode (which it looks like they are now ) Cutler for one or two years on the cheap would not be all that bad . Maybe he implodes getting us a better pick . 

I go on later to explain I'd like neither but only that id like the cutler deal better...but only given the price tags....but if they're really, actually trying to rebuild, which they should be, let Hack and or Petty start. Don't just suck. Be a boss at the suck. 

38 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

what exactly are you looking for ? Cutler will be a 1 to 2 year QB on a rebuilding team ...I mean are you looking to win ? We just dumped a load of Vets making it obvious this year means pretty much nothing

Im not looking for anything.. I think (seriously), im gonna take the year off from NY Jets football and simply be a casual fan.

But id rather start Petty or Hack than Cutler.

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

We dumped a load of vets who did nothing last year. The talk of "tanking" is beyond stupid and unrealistic.  Cutler is a viable option at QB.  Even on a "rebuilding" team a certain # of vets can be helpful.  I read these threads and I hope people don't truly believe what they post.

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

We dumped a load of vets who did nothing last year. The talk of "tanking" is beyond stupid and unrealistic.  Cutler is a viable option at QB.  Even on a "rebuilding" team a certain # of vets is helpful.  I read these threads and I hope people don't truly believe what they post.

While I agree about the fans expectations on 'tanking', as I highly doubt Mac & Bowles are going into this season with the plan to keep the wins at a minimum for a better draft pick in 2018, I do think that the lack of having a franchise QB in this organization since Namath has taken it's toll on a lot of us. It's time to throw the kids out there and see if they are up to the task. If not, draft a QB high in 2018.  The best case in signing Cutler is that he puts up a couple of Vinny T type years, (albeit without the roster and coaching of the late 90s Jets) and then we're back to ground zero. I think it's time for this franchise to find it's QB. 

4 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

While I agree about the fans expectations on 'tanking', as I highly doubt Mac & Bowles are going into this season with the plan to keep the wins at a minimum for a better draft pick in 2018, I do think that the lack of having a franchise QB in this organization since Namath has taken it's toll on a lot of us. It's time to throw the kids out there and see if they are up to the task. If not, draft a QB high in 2018.  The best case in signing Cutler is that he puts up a couple of Vinny T type years, (albeit without the roster and coaching of the late 90s Jets) and then we're back to ground zero. I think it's time for this franchise to find it's QB. 

In other words, just another lost season. 

2 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I just don't see any point in signing Jay Cutler. What is the advantage? What is the end game?

There is a school of thought that says if the team knows going in that it can't possibly win more than 3 games the players don't play hard, they get disillusioned, and as a result your young kids 1) don't have a chance to develop properly and 2) the culture gets so sour that they don't want to play here.

I've heard a lot of athletes and head coaches say this on numerous WFAN interviews.  A team must do everything it can to show the players that they are committed to winning.  If they aren't, nothing good comes of one of these down seasons.  So if the Jets can land a veteran QB who can play effectively, it permeates the roster and helps them justify giving 100% effort.

SAR I

15 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

We dumped a load of vets who did nothing last year. The talk of "tanking" is beyond stupid and unrealistic.  Cutler is a viable option at QB.  Even on a "rebuilding" team a certain # of vets can be helpful.  I read these threads and I hope people don't truly believe what they post.

I sure as hell believe it.  There are two potential franchise QBs that are expected to be in the next draft.  I want one.  We haven't made the playoffs since 2010, and have played pretty terrible football for 6 years, that for the most part, hasn't even been fun to watch.

I'd gladly sacrifice one more year if it means a shot at actually, maybe becoming good again.  And really, what's the difference?  What is Cutler going to do for us?  Take us from 3 wins to 5?  We have no talent, and no path towards the playoffs this year.  7 wins would be a damn miracle.  If we're going to lose, at least lets gain something from that loss.

39 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

This franchise never stops making unthinkable decisions. This has been a horrible stretch of years. A complete and total loss. GFYS Woody.

With the sole exception of the New England Patriots, every team that had a 3-4 year run towards the playoffs, won a few playoff games, and got close to the Super Bowl, has a down period.

The late 90s Broncos went a decade without success.  The 00's Raiders were abysmal after '02, took them 14 years to get back.  The 90s Cowboys are still struggling to go anywhere.  The Warner Rams, the Marino Dolphins, the Kelly Bills, these teams are floundering 10, 20, 30 years since they were consistent winners.   Tampa won the Super Bowl, nothing since.  Bears went to the Super Bowl, nothing since.

The price we pay for some pretty good football and 3 appearances in the AFC Championship Game from 1998-2010 is that we have to be in a down period for awhile.  We had a GM who was amazing and making the numbers work and bringing in decent older FA talent to fill talent gaps, but 12 years of that abuse has left us a mess.

So before you kill our owner, recognize that what we feel now is because we got so close a few times since he bought the club.  And that's a lot more than you can say about half the teams in the NFL who would have killed for our records and playoff appearances even if it didn't lead to the ultimate prize.

SAR I

1 minute ago, DonCorleone said:

I disagree. There are down years for good franchises but we have had 47 years of zero SB appearances. Woody as an owner, has made bad decision after bad decision. 

So you bitch about Woody - who has spent on FAs in attempt for a quick fix several times since taking over in 2000 - and it nearly worked... 

And you also bitch when the team decides to take a different approach and attempt to build through the draft. 

got it.

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

With the sole exception of the New England Patriots, every team that had a 3-4 year run towards the playoffs, won a few playoff games, and got close to the Super Bowl, has a down period.

The late 90s Broncos went a decade without success.  The 00's Raiders were abysmal after '02, took them 14 years to get back.  The 90s Cowboys are still struggling to go anywhere.  The Warner Rams, the Marino Dolphins, the Kelly Bills, these teams are floundering 10, 20, 30 years since they were consistent winners.   Tampa won the Super Bowl, nothing since.  Bears went to the Super Bowl, nothing since.

The price we pay for some pretty good football and 3 appearances in the AFC Championship Game from 1998-2010 is that we have to be in a down period for awhile.  We had a GM who was amazing and making the numbers work and bringing in decent older FA talent to fill talent gaps, but 12 years of that abuse has left us a mess.

So before you kill our owner, recognize that what we feel now is because we got so close a few times since he bought the club.  And that's a lot more than you can say about half the teams in the NFL who would have killed for our records and playoff appearances even if it didn't lead to the ultimate prize.

SAR I

Nearly worked. Oh gotcha. You're one of those almost guys.

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

There is a school of thought that says if the team knows going in that it can't possibly win more than 3 games the players don't play hard, they get disillusioned, and as a result your young kids 1) don't have a chance to develop properly and 2) the culture gets so sour that they don't want to play here.

I've heard a lot of athletes and head coaches say this on numerous WFAN interviews.  A team must do everything it can to show the players that they are committed to winning.  If they aren't, nothing good comes of one of these down seasons.  So if the Jets can land a veteran QB who can play effectively, it permeates the roster and helps them justify giving 100% effort.

SAR I

The only aura Jay Cutler "permeates" is somewhere between strained and tumultuous.

54 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Nearly worked. Oh gotcha. You're one of those almost guys.

I'm not "almost" about anything in my life. 

I'm just smart enough to recognize a strategy, know when it's over, and know what it's consequences are.

SAR I

WTF would we accomplishing with bringing in Cutler?

We have Petty and Hackenberg to prove out (or not) on a team - that if all the moons align - will win 3 games.

We also have Mope-o Smith for a back-up.

Stupid move  

Archived