BREAKING: Bears releasing Jay Cutler, and Jets appear to be his only suitor

SAR I

24 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Perhaps out age difference. I completely disagree.

In the NFL, unless you have a Hall Of Fame Head Coach and a Hall Of Fame Quarterback working on the cheap, it is not possible to maintain a consistent Super Bowl caliber roster for 15 years.

The Jets, to their credit, were able to maintain a decently competitive playoff caliber roster over a 15 year period.  While not producing a Championship, those years happened, they occurred, they were attempted.  Draft picks were traded away.  Affordable contracts were eschewed.  Pricey free agents were procured.  Last-contract free agents were rented.  And thus now is the down period where we have to pay the piper.

Oh, and the Jets did that with the Patriots in their way in the division during that span.  Woody Johnson did just fine.  If you don't want to show some appreciation, that's fine.  Just keep your pain to yourself, be a man like the rest of us.

SAR I

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SAR I said:

In the NFL, unless you have a Hall Of Fame Head Coach and a Hall Of Fame Quarterback working on the cheap, it is not possible to maintain a consistent Super Bowl caliber roster for 15 years.

The Jets, to their credit, were able to maintain a decently competitive playoff caliber roster for 15 consecutive years.  While not producing a Championship, those years happened, they occurred, they were attempted.  Draft picks were traded away.  Affordable contracts were eschewed.  Pricey free agents were procured.  Last-contract free agents were rented.  And thus now is the down period where we have to pay the piper.

Oh, and the Jets did that with the Patriots in their way in the division during that span.  Woody Johnson did just fine.  If you don't want to show some appreciation, that's fine.  Just keep your pain to yourself, be a man like the rest of us.

SAR I

No I won't do that. I am afforded the right to express my opinion. Just because you can't deal with it, don't take it out on me. If you disagree that's fine but refrain from trying to tell me what I can and can't do. In real life, just a few have tried. 

Cutler has been around too ling to come here and get the crap kicked out of him on an untalented roster in a meaningless season.

He will wait till a qb goes down in preseason or early regular season and hop on a good team who loses a qb.

There is no chance he comes here.  Hes not that stupid.

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cutler has been around too ling to come here and get the crap kicked out of him on an untalented roster in a meaningless season.

He will wait till a qb goes down in preseason or early regular season and hop on a good team who loses a qb.

One would think so, right ? Ego is the only thing that might push him to act now. The opportunity to immediately get back in there, even on a swiss cheese roster... coupled with being associated with a New York franchise, perhaps the greatest metropolis on the planet.

That said, if his brain is screwed on right he should step back for a moment and not run for his life this September at Met Life.

31 minutes ago, NJ said:

WTF would we accomplishing with bringing in Cutler?

We have Petty and Hackenberg to prove out (or not) on a team - that if all the moons align - will win 3 games.

We also have Mope-o Smith for a back-up.

Stupid move  

Nothing. 

Petty and Hackenberg aren't the answer. 

Geno Smith is a free agent. 

Dumb move all on Maccagnan and Bowles. 

Draft Watson and move this organization forward. 

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

what if it's his only choice?  Hopping on a team mid-season will bring in a much smaller paycheck....  significntly smaller, then would getting a deal now.  Cutler will sign the best deal offer he gets long before the season starts.  Even with the Jets :ph34r:

Signing Cutler would indicate that Mac feels like he needs to win a few games to save his job and would roll the dice on a guy that even the most casual observer would agree would be a disastrous fit in NY.  Or it could be that Mac is just a completely incompetent GM.  For the love of God, Mac, do not sign this guy!

19 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Cutler would immediately become the best QB the Jets have had this decade.   

That ain't sayin' much brother.

Stop the bullspit and just draftt Deshaun. Sign any other scrub but Cutler to take the hits. McCarron is my choice until Deshaun is ready. Enough of the overpaid,

overpriced, scumbags and go young.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

With the sole exception of the New England Patriots, every team that had a 3-4 year run towards the playoffs, won a few playoff games, and got close to the Super Bowl, has a down period.

The late 90s Broncos went a decade without success.  The 00's Raiders were abysmal after '02, took them 14 years to get back.  The 90s Cowboys are still struggling to go anywhere.  The Warner Rams, the Marino Dolphins, the Kelly Bills, these teams are floundering 10, 20, 30 years since they were consistent winners.   Tampa won the Super Bowl, nothing since.  Bears went to the Super Bowl, nothing since.

The price we pay for some pretty good football and 3 appearances in the AFC Championship Game from 1998-2010 is that we have to be in a down period for awhile.  We had a GM who was amazing and making the numbers work and bringing in decent older FA talent to fill talent gaps, but 12 years of that abuse has left us a mess.

So before you kill our owner, recognize that what we feel now is because we got so close a few times since he bought the club.  And that's a lot more than you can say about half the teams in the NFL who would have killed for our records and playoff appearances even if it didn't lead to the ultimate prize.

SAR I

You get it. Most here don't and think we should keep tinkering with the roster for the sole purpose of being competitive. I'd rather tear things down and start over. It looks like macc agrees. 

I get that it's early and that I know very little about football... But I've seen nothing in the Jets offseason so far that even hints that Cutler is part of their plan... If they get him wicked cheap then they might say why not and roll the dice, but I've seen nothing to indiciate Mac is willing to destroy this rebuild/refresh he's trying to put together.

I get everyone being on edge and just waiting to pounce and attack the Jets... We're used to it... But man, reading this you would think they already signed him to a 12 year contract... All is well so far!

16 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I get that it's early and that I know very little about football... But I've seen nothing in the Jets offseason so far that even hints that Cutler is part of their plan... If they get him wicked cheap then they might say why not and roll the dice, but I've seen nothing to indiciate Mac is willing to destroy this rebuild/refresh he's trying to put together.

I get everyone being on edge and just waiting to pounce and attack the Jets... We're used to it... But man, reading this you would think they already signed him to a 12 year contract... All is well so far!

^ Closet Pats fan!!!

I think the young guys could learn a bit from Cutler but after cutting our older members we should look for another young qb to bring in. I would like to see a trade for siemian or mccaron or dare I say take a wild low paid swing at rg3 and let the young guys compete. If rebuilding is our goal and we don't plan on being good for a few seasons why bring anyone in who will not be in the NFL when we are good?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The Jets, to their credit, were able to maintain a decently competitive playoff caliber roster over a 15 year period.  While not producing a Championship, those years happened, they occurred, they were attempted.  Draft picks were traded away.  Affordable contracts were eschewed.  Pricey free agents were procured.  Last-contract free agents were rented.  And thus now is the down period where we have to pay the piper.

SAR I

Plus we had not one, but THREE dick pic scandals. Show me another franchise with those types of numbers.

4 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

No I won't do that. I am afforded the right to express my opinion. Just because you can't deal with it, don't take it out on me. If you disagree that's fine but refrain from trying to tell me what I can and can't do. In real life, just a few have tried. 

I am telling you what you will do and you will listen. 

You will accept the fact that Woody Johnson is a good owner and, while not achieving the ultimate goal, the New York Jets had more success between 1998-2011 than 25 other NFL teams.  The price you pay for that era is a few hard years like the one you are experiencing now.

Savvy?

SAR I

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You will accept the fact that Woody Johnson is a good owner and, while not achieving the ultimate goal, the New York Jets had more success between 1998-2011 than 25 other NFL teams.  The price you pay for that era is a few hard years like the one you are experiencing now.

Savvy?

SAR I

Huh?

27 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Savvy?

SAR I

I wouldn't screw with Don Corleone.

It could take a while before the Jets decide on a starting Qb. Esp if they really want Trevor Siemien. First they have to wait and see what happens with Romo and if he ends up with the Broncos. And then see if Elway wants to make a trade and get rid of Siemien. I mean we'd take him. So if Siemien is their preference over Cutler it could take some time. They waited a long time last off season and it came back to bite them. You want a guy in camp asap esp if he's new to the offense. Plus we have a new OC and Qb coach. As for other available Qbs in free agency like Geno and Fitz. As for their future I see both of them not signing right now and waiting until camp for injuries, etc. Geno probably right now has a better chance to sign somewhere. As for Fitz he can wait. If a team has an injury and needs someone who can play he could be plugged in fast. He has a lot of experience playing in different systems. Also during his career when he has security he doesn't play as well as when he has no security. 

17 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

RGIII would be perfect. Gives the fans a recognizable name. He gets hurt 2nd week. Jets start the young guys.

Pretty much what I thought when I saw the choices. Much cheaper than Romo. Cutler is basically Tubercolosis. Last thing a young team needs is outbreak of tuberculosis in the lockeroom. 

I think Jets fans will have to accept the fact that you can win without a franchise Qb. Sure it would be nice to get one but there are very few around and none of them are on the open market. The closest thing would be Romo and he isn't coming here. And some of our fans are even shooting that down. IMO you don't base your team building philosophy on getting a franchise Qb and building a team around him. This could take years plus no guarantee that the Qb you commit to will be that kind of a player. Aaron Rodgers is that kind of a player but he was taken later in the first round and the Pack was just lucky the guy turned out to be that kind of a player. Ryan Tannehill had the full commitment of Miami and he isn't a franchise Qb. Same for Bortles, etc. So the odds of getting a franchise Qb are not good. We tried with Sanchez and it didn't work out. Get someone who is competent like a Siemien and use your resources to get good pieces so he can be successful. Not great but successful. 

ESPN's Rich Cimini does not believe free agent Jay Cutler is "right for the Jets."

Like all quarterbacks who hit the open market, Cutler has been linked with the Jets, but the interest appears to be legitimate in his case. Cimini is not excited about the possibility, however, writing the Jets need "a leader at quarterback" and Cutler "isn't that guy." While that may be true, the Jets need someone to run the offense while they work through the early stages of their rebuild, and unless they can get a quarterback like Trevor Siemian via trade, Cutler is the best option available, which means it will likely be a long year in New York.

30 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think Jets fans will have to accept the fact that you can win without a franchise Qb. Sure it would be nice to get one but there are very few around and none of them are on the open market. The closest thing would be Romo and he isn't coming here. And some of our fans are even shooting that down. IMO you don't base your team building philosophy on getting a franchise Qb and building a team around him. This could take years plus no guarantee that the Qb you commit to will be that kind of a player. Aaron Rodgers is that kind of a player but he was taken later in the first round and the Pack was just lucky the guy turned out to be that kind of a player. Ryan Tannehill had the full commitment of Miami and he isn't a franchise Qb. Same for Bortles, etc. So the odds of getting a franchise Qb are not good. We tried with Sanchez and it didn't work out. Get someone who is competent like a Siemien and use your resources to get good pieces so he can be successful. Not great but successful. 

Or you can draft someone who's proven to be a natural born leader, is charismatic and love what they do more than just about anything else .  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

ESPN's Rich Cimini does not believe free agent Jay Cutler is "right for the Jets."

Like all quarterbacks who hit the open market, Cutler has been linked with the Jets, but the interest appears to be legitimate in his case. Cimini is not excited about the possibility, however, writing the Jets need "a leader at quarterback" and Cutler "isn't that guy." While that may be true, the Jets need someone to run the offense while they work through the early stages of their rebuild, and unless they can get a quarterback like Trevor Siemian via trade, Cutler is the best option available, which means it will likely be a long year in New York.

Once upon a time, someone said Jay Cutler was a terrible person, and everyone repeats it because he doesn't act the way certain people would have him act . Judge not less ye be Judge also or something like that .

Archived